As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX 2009 Buttoneers: Too late now, hope you got yours!

• courtneyjcourtneyj Newcastle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I ended up with a "my multi tool" button by The_Doctor1. I had no idea about the button thing, I was just grabbing a button from a stand in front of the gamer discount program place (the red curtain lounge thing) and one was sitting there.

Next year though, I'm down with the buttoneers.

courtneyj on
  • DaNerdDaNerd Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Final count was 225 buttons weighing 2.13lb.

DaNerd on
    Buy a small corporation and use it to manufacture love. Then give the love to her at a bulk discount
  • SpaceGhost2KSpaceGhost2K Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    How much does shipping add to the cost of the buttons? If a hundred buttons are $18, what are they after shipping? I can't check on the site without going through the whole art uploading process.

SpaceGhost2K on
    edited September 2009
    Pictures of the meet-up can be found here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=151923&id=679223008&ref=mf

DaNerd on
    Buy a small corporation and use it to manufacture love. Then give the love to her at a bulk discount
  • FacelesscogFacelesscog Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I know it's a bit early yet, but are there any plans for buttoneering at PAX-East? I'd like to get in on some of this action. :)

Facelesscog on
  • redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I know it's a bit early yet, but are there any plans for buttoneering at PAX-East? I'd like to get in on some of this action. :)

I am unable to make it to PAX East this year. If someone would like to take the reigns then that would be peachy.

redhalo on
  • sum10fishysum10fishy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    redhalo wrote: »
    I am unable to make it to PAX East this year. If someone would like to take the reigns then that would be peachy.

Cause you suck. :( Come on! PAX won't be the same without you!! You could walk! The newest thing the CCSH. Cross Country Super Hike! Florida's not that far.

sum10fishy on
  • redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    sum10fishy wrote: »

Cause you suck. :( Come on! PAX won't be the same without you!! You could walk! The newest thing the CCSH. Cross Country Super Hike! Florida's not that far.

God, I wish. I do suck. Money and time are tight as it is right now. I'm going to go cry in my suckage now.

redhalo on
  • PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

I know that I will have my buttons from Prime 08 and 09, but I don't plan on making East buttons ... unless everyone else does. I'm trying to think of something that would be just as awesome but different.

PeasantDave on
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    God, I wish. I do suck. Money and time are tight as it is right now. I'm going to go cry in my suckage now.

I am in the same boat. Mine would be due to time (Pops pulled the "I almost died and I want a big family trip 'one last time'" card and my sister and I, so I need the time I was gonna use for PAX-East (I was gonna take a week off to tour Boston and Salem) to use next October to Disney World. Look, Redy! I'll be in your state!

Don't worry, PAX-Prime is my staple vacation.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I know that I will have my buttons from Prime 08 and 09, but I don't plan on making East buttons ... unless everyone else does. I'm trying to think of something that would be just as awesome but different.

V-cards.

Atlus Parker on
  • CadynCadyn Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

V-cards.

V-cards? I can haz logistics of this?

Cadyn on
  • CyberpumpkinCyberpumpkin Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    whatsavcard.jpg

I'm too low-tech for this v-nonsense. Buttons.

Cyberpumpkin on
    pax09buttons.jpg
    edited September 2009

Here are the limited options that spring to mind:
    • Zipper pulls (from Purebuttons.com)
    • Stickers (from Purebuttons.com)
    • Custom Business cards (from any number of places)

My thinking being, you're going to want something that's roughly the same price as the buttons...which are pretty damned cheap to begin with, so your options are somewhat limited. Any other thoughts?

Facelesscog on
  • HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

What about...printed or engraved LEGOS?!

Actually, in googling aroung it looks like you can get them either at specific LEGO stores or some guy might be starting a business to print on the Legos so the logistics of this are a bit iffy.
    LEGO Brick Engraving available at Orlando, Anaheim and Mall of America LEGO Stores!
    Visit the LEGO Stores in Orlando, Anaheim and Mall of America and get a brick engraved with your name on it! Call the LEGO Store to find out more information!

Still though, how cool would that be? You could build something as you trade and collect! :D

Hypatia on
  • SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

V-cards.

I'm sorry. I already traded my V-card.

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
    edited September 2009
    Hypatia wrote: »

Now I LIKE that idea LOL.

I bought a McDonalds Happy Meal with a Hi-C the other day for the first time in like 20 years just cause it had a Lego car in it. Then it turned out to just be the left over stupid Hot Wheels. None the less behold the power of Legos.

sum10fishy on
    edited September 2009
    sum10fishy wrote: »
    Hypatia wrote: »

Now I LIKE that idea LOL.

I bought a McDonalds Happy Meal with a Hi-C the other day for the first time in like 20 years just cause it had a Lego car in it. Then it turned out to just be the left over stupid Hot Wheels. None the less behold the power of Legos.

Ok, just out of curiousity, I've contacted a guy I found online who does custom printing on LEGOs. (He also does engraving, but printing directly on them is apparently cheaper.) As soon as he gets back to me with bulk pricing and similar info, I'll post it here. Frankly, if it's reasonably priced, I think it's an awesomely geeky idea.

Facelesscog on
    edited September 2009
    For the heck of it, I also checked on the pricing of custom printed dice (d6) and, while very cool, the price would probably turn most people off of the concept. (The lowest I saw was around a dollar per d6, with a minimum order of 500 and a setup fee of $60.)

Facelesscog on
  • CyberpumpkinCyberpumpkin Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The dice thing would be cool, but hard to display.

Cyberpumpkin on
    pax09buttons.jpg
  • AkialynAkialyn Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My haul wasn't as big as some of yours but I was pretty happy with it. This is what I ended up doing with my buttons:
    PinCollage.jpg

I had room to include two pics of the hubby and I, our passes, our JoCo wristbands and Wil's button.

Akialyn on
    -Akialyn
    edited September 2009
    The dice thing would be cool, but hard to display.

Yeah, the LEGO thing has much greater potential for collecting and display, both individually and as some sort of LEGO mosaic at the event itself. Hopefully the guy will be getting back to me with prices this evening. (He's already been in touch, and is very interested in taking on a project like this, he's just trying to figure out pricing on some packages that would fit the average buttoneer's budget...and still be cool.)

Facelesscog on
  • SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wait sorry, haven't been lurking...
    We thinking of changing the buttoneering to something else or something?

Nawwww the buttoneering is becoming classic though...

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
    edited September 2009
    Buttons are classic, but PAX East isn't just a port of PAX Prime, it's an entirely new beast. As such, we're trying to come up with an entirely new idea to match.

DaNerd on
  • ikelewisikelewis Awesome Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'd like to propose we do a PAX Trading Card Trade.

Not a TCG but more like baseball cards.

http://www.mytradingcards.com/products.aspx?id=blank_trading_cards&cattid=1821

For 150 cards it comes out to be about .60 a card before shipping.

ikelewis on
    edited September 2009
    ikelewis wrote: »
    I'd like to propose we do a PAX Trading Card Trade.

Not a TCG but more like baseball cards.

http://www.mytradingcards.com/products.aspx?id=blank_trading_cards&cattid=1821

For 150 cards it comes out to be about .60 a card before shipping.

Maybe something like the old Marvel comic cards, where they had loose stats. We could pick some arbitrary stats to use that wouldn't be for a game, but just something to have on the cards, like:

Coordination
    Cleverness
    Endurance
    Tactics
    Networking
    Awesomeness

If this is successful I'd love to actually make a TCG for PAX East 2011.

PeasantDave on
    edited September 2009
    I like that idea more than a TCG and it's a lot more personal than Legos with our names on them.

Of course, I'd have to insist on a Drunkeness stat.

Atlus Parker on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Maybe you could combine both ideas, and have Marvel-like stats, but the individual person making their card could decide what the actual stats on their card would be! So you could have a "Drunkeness" attribute where I could have a "Smiley Face" attribute! ;)=)

Last year Moe started up an effort on a more formalized card game, but it fell through as people had little time to devote to it. =( I think an informal/more humorous than functional approach might end up being a more feasible idea in retrospect.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
    edited September 2009
    We should also consider affordability. Buttons are relatively inexpensive, about .22 per button, whereas the cards are almost 3 times that price. For the same number of cards as I had buttons for PAX Prime I'd be looking at ~180 dollars before shipping. 135 if I bought exactly the number of buttons I received this year without any extras for mistakes or to give to people without cards. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if I could fit that into my budget, something to keep in mind.

DaNerd on
    edited September 2009
    DaNerd wrote: »
    We should also consider affordability. Buttons are relatively inexpensive, about .22 per button, whereas the cards are almost 3 times that price. For the same number of cards as I had buttons for PAX Prime I'd be looking at ~180 dollars before shipping. 135 if I bought exactly the number of buttons I received this year without any extras for mistakes or to give to people without cards. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if I could fit that into my budget, something to keep in mind.

He was probably throwing out the first site he came across. There are much cheaper options available and comes out to be much cheaper than buttons. I really like the idea of doing something other than buttons. I don't even know if be as enthused about trading buttons for a third year at PAX prime.

Atlus Parker on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dammit, what about those of us who have buttons that didn't get there in time and now have a bag of buttons? I won't have anyone to trade with!

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
    edited September 2009
    Willeth wrote: »
    Dammit, what about those of us who have buttons that didn't get there in time and now have a bag of buttons? I won't have anyone to trade with!

PAX Seattle 2010.

sum10fishy on
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    He was probably throwing out the first site he came across. There are much cheaper options available and comes out to be much cheaper than buttons. I really like the idea of doing something other than buttons. I don't even know if be as enthused about trading buttons for a third year at PAX prime.

It amuses me that you can get 500 for $2 more than 250. But yeah, something like that would be cool. Be a lot harder to identify fellow participants on the fly though.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
    edited September 2009
    DaNerd wrote: »

In that case, trading cards seem like the way to go. Now we just need to figure out how to identify each other.

DaNerd on
    edited September 2009
    We should probably split this off into a new thread so we can take a poll of what people want to do and if it is trading cards we can get started on templates and structure.

Atlus Parker on
  • ikelewisikelewis Awesome Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I agree.

I have a template I'm working on but for some reason I can't get it to upload to my site I'll upload it tonight when I get home from work.

ikelewis on
    edited September 2009
    I will start the new thread tonight. I like where this is going.

PeasantDave on
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The problem with trading cards is it's not dead simple like tossing together a button design.

It's not hard on a global scale, but I think buttoneering success is all due to how easy it is to jump on board.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited September 2009
    Infidel wrote: »
    The problem with trading cards is it's not dead simple like tossing together a button design.

It's not hard on a global scale, but I think buttoneering success is all due to how easy it is to jump on board.
    ikelewis wrote: »
    I agree.

I have a template I'm working on but for some reason I can't get it to upload to my site I'll upload it tonight when I get home from work.

Once we have a template everything will be really easy because all you would have to do is put your image in the template and then submit it... like you did with purebuttons.

DaNerd on
  • beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    the only concern I have with the cards things is...cards get bent easily, they're harder to show off.

However, you can make up some sweet ass stats for the back, like baseball cards.

beta_angel on
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
    TF2 Hatpack
This discussion has been closed.