As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fuck whatever we were playing, let's get ready for some goddamn DARK SUN

1565758596062»

• KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    marsh i'll send you character sheets of all my characters that i'm thinking about using and you can give the go ahead to them maybe?

Kusuguttai on
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't really care what kind of character I play, I'm just anxious to see what 4e is like player-side

Squall on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I really wish I had time to devote to playing D&D

Zen Vulgarity on
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Kusuguttai wrote: »
    marsh i'll send you character sheets of all my characters that i'm thinking about using and you can give the go ahead to them maybe?

Yeah, sure. Also went to my job and they didn't have next week's schedule up. Dang.

Marshmallow on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So once I see what kind of levels and loadout we're dealing with here, I'll see which hero of mine to use. I have a pretty kickass Bard that I'm not using at the moment.

Fencingsax on
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I guess! I'm in four of the nine scenes, but the way it's split up or something leaves me with that. Like they're doing the last two scenes on Mondays because I'm superdead by then, but they split the rest of the seven between the remaining three days in such a way that I have one or two scenes every day to work on. We'll see if it changes beyond that.

I'm in a small-cast play with two acts, each one of which is a continuous 45 min (or so) scene. I'm the lead and onstage for the entire thing... there's maybe like two minutes of the play where I'm not out there.

Eesh... so many lines.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That sucks

This play has like nine scenes, and despite being a lead, I'm only in four of them. No real monologuing, which is nice, and the first and third scene I'm in there is more than one other person on stage, so they're not too heavy for me.

Straightzi on
    edited September 2009
    That sucks

This play has like nine scenes, and despite being a lead, I'm only in four of them. No real monologuing, which is nice, and the first and third scene I'm in there is more than one other person on stage, so they're not too heavy for me.

Nice. That's manageable and gives you a chance to glance at a script if you have an OH SHIT moment backstage :P

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dubh wrote: »
    modify RISUS a bit

DE?AD's been doing that at the Gloss thread, and it's been working quite well

I love RISUS, it's so simple

course, I've never had the chance to play with anything else either

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    That sucks

Nice. That's manageable and gives you a chance to glance at a script if you have an OH SHIT moment backstage :P

Yeah, pretty much. The honeymoon and hospital scene are rather back to back, but hospital should be pretty easy, it's one of the short ones. If I forget my lines, whatever, the person playing my wife is a damn good improv lady, I can just ramble some misogyny at her for a while and exit stage left.

Straightzi on
    edited September 2009
    Seriously look at these lines. This is to my wife after she has just given birth and is in the hospital bed:
    Everything OK? I]YOUNG WOMAN signs "no"[/I Now see here, my dear, you've got to brace up, you know! And- and face things! Everybody's got to brace up and face things! That's what makes the world go round. I know all you've been through but- I]YOUNG WOMAN signs "no"[/I Oh, yes I do! I know all about it! I was right outside all the time! I]YOUNG WOMAN makes violent gesture of "no." Ignoring[/I Oh yes! But you've got to brace up now! Make an effort! Pull yourself together! Start the uphill climb! Oh I've been down- but I haven't stayed down. I've been licked but I haven't stayed licked! I've pulled myself up by my own bootstraps, and that's what you've got to do! Will power! That's what conquers! Look at me! Now you've got to brace up! Face the music! Stand the gaff! Take life by the horns! Look it in the face! Having a baby's natural!

I miss the simpler times of the 1920s sometimes.

Seriously though I'd murder me too if I were her.

Straightzi on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    So, right now I am working on a RPG system.

I've got a few guiding principles for what I'm trying to work on:

1. The rules need to be something I can explain to a new person in a couple minutes, and have them make a character swiftly. They need to be able to learn the basic rules and then immediately move to character creation needing only a clear idea in their mind of what kind of character they want to make.

2. The rules need to have a universal conflict resolution mechanic. That means attacking, damage, skill use, etc. all has to use the same kind of mechanic. An example of this is how Mutants & Masterminds uses rolling 1d20 vs a DC is 100% of how the game works. That sort of principle.

3. The system needs to be generic and usable in any setting and at nearly any power level.

4. The attributes, statistics, and skills of the system need to be abstract. They need to be the sort of thing players can create without looking through a massive list of what the game has already designed (Example: The Fate System used by Spirit of the Century).

5. The game needs to be light on derived values and differing manners of resistances, defenses, and factored attributes. I am sick of character sheets that look like tax forms.

Now, while there are many systems that exhibit many of the traits I am looking for, none really function for what I'd really want, so I'm exploring my options here.

What's wrong with Spirit of the Century? I haven't used it or any of the other super abstract systems, so I don't know how it doesn't fit these.

edit:: also, I really don't think you're going to find something that fits all these. You're basically asking for everything here, it's like the holy grail of rpg design.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
    edited September 2009

Yeah, sure. Also went to my job and they didn't have next week's schedule up. Dang.

i dont even know how to send d&d4e files in any way

Kusuguttai on
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    email perhaps?

Squall on
    edited September 2009
    You can upload them here I think.

http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/

Marshmallow on
    edited September 2009
    oh sweet

here's my sorcerer, barbarian, and paladin

Kusuguttai on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So if we do decide to do this, lemme know, because I have a Bard I want to Break out.

Fencingsax on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited September 2009
    agh I'm never going to finish this adventure

DJ Eebs on
    edited September 2009
    oh sweet

That Barbarian is amazing. Didja roll for his stats or what?

Marshmallow on
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    edit:: also, I really don't think you're going to find something that fits all these. You're basically asking for everything here, it's like the holy grail of rpg design.

No see, he's working on making one.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    So, right now I am working on a RPG system.

I've got a few guiding principles for what I'm trying to work on:

1. The rules need to be something I can explain to a new person in a couple minutes, and have them make a character swiftly. They need to be able to learn the basic rules and then immediately move to character creation needing only a clear idea in their mind of what kind of character they want to make.

2. The rules need to have a universal conflict resolution mechanic. That means attacking, damage, skill use, etc. all has to use the same kind of mechanic. An example of this is how Mutants & Masterminds uses rolling 1d20 vs a DC is 100% of how the game works. That sort of principle.

3. The system needs to be generic and usable in any setting and at nearly any power level.

4. The attributes, statistics, and skills of the system need to be abstract. They need to be the sort of thing players can create without looking through a massive list of what the game has already designed (Example: The Fate System used by Spirit of the Century).

5. The game needs to be light on derived values and differing manners of resistances, defenses, and factored attributes. I am sick of character sheets that look like tax forms.

Now, while there are many systems that exhibit many of the traits I am looking for, none really function for what I'd really want, so I'm exploring my options here.

What's wrong with Spirit of the Century? I haven't used it or any of the other super abstract systems, so I don't know how it doesn't fit these.

Spirit of the Century/the FATE system does some needlessly complicated things that make it tricky for new folks to wrap their heads around.

Skill pyramids and stuff like that.

Basically my guiding principle here is "I want to have a RPG system I can play with most of my friends". Some of my friends are experienced RPG players for whom a system like RISUS might be unfulfilling, while others are the sort of people who balk at the complexity (and in particular the dense character creation) of a system like Mutants & Masterminds or Dungeons & Dragons.

So all I'm looking to do is balance simplicity with depth. I'm not looking to make a realistic system, or one that can accurately simulate a virtual world or some such nonsense. I'd just like a halfway point between, say, RISUS and M&M.

FATE is pretty close to what I want, and about as close as anything else is, really. But I'm basically exploring other options in order to synergize together what I'm really looking for.

Pony on
  • TheidarTheidar Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Didn't West End Games release a generic verision of the D6 system used in their Star Wars RPG.

D6 Star Wars was a fairly simple system overall.

Theidar on
    Gamertag: Theidar
    Wii Friend Code: 0072 4984 2399 2126
    PSN ID : Theidar
    Facebook
    Behold the annhilation of the extraterrestrial and the rise of the machines.
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Theidar wrote: »
    Didn't West End Games release a generic verision of the D6 system used in their Star Wars RPG.

D6 Star Wars was a fairly simple system overall.

I'm trying to find that but I don't know if there is a free version of it running around.

Pony on
  • TheidarTheidar Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well the PDF is like 13 bucks from their website.

Of course it looks like you'd have to choose between adventure, space or fantasy for your basic setting. Unless you picked up all three core rulebooks.

Theidar on
    Gamertag: Theidar
    Wii Friend Code: 0072 4984 2399 2126
    PSN ID : Theidar
    Facebook
    Behold the annhilation of the extraterrestrial and the rise of the machines.
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Theidar wrote: »
    Well the PDF is like 13 bucks from their website.

Of course it looks like you'd have to choose between adventure, space or fantasy for your basic setting. Unless you picked up all three core rulebooks.

I picked up D6 Space and D6 Fantasy for like 15 bucks each a while back. Mainly I wanted to see how the rules had advanced with the company sitting on the edge of bankruptcy.

D6 Adventure from what I can tell just uses Fantasy's Attributes with different names and a wider range of suggested skills. For that matter, Fantasy's Attributes mainly eliminates Star Wars/D6 Space's Mech and Tech and splits Dexterity and Perception into four (personal nimbleness vs deft use of aiming and steering, and sensory perception vs social skills, basically). Any one of these books should cover the essentials needed to run a game and adapt it for a different setting. I'll have to try out Fantasy and see how its Attribute system works in play eventually.

The spell system seems rather obtuse; it's got an original power-creation system using charts and it looks like all the really talented designers with an eye for streamlining only worked on Star Wars and have since left. The quality of the books' layouts are lousy and there's a few needlessly detailed new rules here and there. It looks a hell of a lot like the first SW 2nd Edition book from a decade earlier (black and white, mixed bag of art, dry text, not organized in an order that explains the rules effectively, no special use of highlighted paragraphs, rule examples or side notes), and reminds me why I never took an interest in TORG.

But in the end it just needs an experienced GM to digest the meat of the game and pass it on. I ran a D6 campaign for
    a while earlier this year and all the players latched onto the system after the first session without looking through the books at all.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
    edited September 2009
    Pony, have you looked at Gurps Lite? I've only read it, haven't played it, but it seems fairly close to what you want. Might be worth taking a look at least.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    GURPS Lite is essentially just the demo version of GURPS - It isn't any less complicated, it just has fewer options.

DE?AD on
    edited September 2009
    oh sweet

no i let the program autopick the stats

he's also level 3 where the rest are level 1 so that might be affecting it

Kusuguttai on
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hooray, new av/sig

Moriveth on
    edited September 2009
    oh sweet

The auto-pick really screwed you over then with a highest ability score of 15 and an Int of 5.

He would probably be fantastically fun to roleplay as though.

Marshmallow on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited September 2009
    Missed delivery for my copy of DMG2 today. Should be able to grab it from the post office tomorrow...

I'd really like to get in on a short-term delve type of game. I have to many distractions to expect to be part of a long-term campaign but I'd like to try it.

DMAC on
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    oh sweet

The auto-pick really screwed you over then with a highest ability score of 15 and an Int of 5.

He would probably be fantastically fun to roleplay as though.

I have never seen the auto picker not put 20 in the main stat. and i have never seen anything below and 8 either.

Melding on
    edited September 2009
    yeah neither have i

edit: oh man that character sheet is all fucked up
    it's all "1/2 level modifier: 3"

3 is not half of 3

3 is all of 3

edit: oh hurr it's 1/2 level + mod

Kusuguttai on
    edited September 2009
    anyway this is what he should look like

Kusuguttai on
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    D&D in bout 4 hours. Whoooo.

Whooooo

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    edited September 2009
    DE?AD wrote: »
    GURPS Lite is essentially just the demo version of GURPS - It isn't any less complicated, it just has fewer options.

So it isn't any less complicated, it's just less complicated? It's four stats and then skills for everything. It sounds somewhat like what he wants.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
    edited September 2009
    D&D in bout 4 hours. Whoooo.

Whooooo

My game got cancelled tonight.

But gameday is tomorrow!

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
This discussion has been closed.