As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

BREAKING NEWS: Duke Nukem Forever is going to be Multiplatform!

• ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Vegan wrote: »
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Living in a world where DNF has been released is just going to be somehow wrong.

It will be delivered to your door by four horsemen.

What if man, what if.

Viscountalpha on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think I comment on it every time we have a DNF thread, but that comic is amazing to me for no other reason than that it was done in 1999.

Eight years ago, they were making fun of the long development time of a game that still hasn't come out.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    slash000 wrote: »
    Hahah, I'm not worried about my DNF preorder being on file any more. I'm sure they've purged the records by now. It's been five years or so. But I'm sure DNF will be easily available anywhere for whatever system when/if it comes out. I just hold on to the preorder for hilarity's sake at this point; the longer before it comes out, the better... Although my preorder stub is getting rather old, faded, and delicate... Oh well.

Also, Renzo's right. I live in another city, but it's a 3 hour drive from Houston where I put the preorder in. I go back to Houston periodically; and, in fact, I'll be going to law school in Houston starting in the Fall, so I'll be there again for at least 3 years.

Not like the game will be out by the end of those three years, though.

Well, look at it this way. By the time you finish law school, the game's probably going to be out and if Gamestop gives you any lip about it, sue them for 10 bucks.

Not that would be funny.

Meiz on
  • ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Slash, does Gamestop still have your 10 bucks?

ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
  • JensenJensen Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I love seeing that receipt :)

Jensen on
    signaturedisgaea.png
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    In 1999 I was eleven years old.

That's really weird for some reason.

bruin on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Um... I'm confused here. DNF has been in Development Hell/Limbo/Purgatory/whatev for what... almost 10 years. They've come out and admitted they fucked up royally somewhere. So, there promise and solution to getting back on track to release is... to add additional development time to code and port it to multiple home consoles?

I don't get it. Rather than just buckle down and finish what they got and get it out, they're going to add the additional resources to port it.

Am I missing something here?

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • OmegaEnderOmegaEnder Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    That list is fucking amazing. Amazingly thorough and awesome. Some good ones from my perspective:

Things that have taken less time than Duke Nukem Forever's Development:

The Beatles formed, released every single one of their albums and broke up. During this time they also toured the world several times.

The following things have happened since Duke Nukem Forever was announced...

Adjusted for inflation, the average price of gas in the United States has doubled.

Stephen King has written 16 novels.

NASA has launched 30 manned space shuttle missions, Russia has launched 17.

Since the announcement of Duke Nukem Forever, the single season home run record has been broken. Twice.

The national minimum wage has remained $5.15.

C'mon now, NASA launches THIRTY manned SPACE MISSIONS and they haven't released a VIDEO GAME!?

Also, regarding the minimum wage, Congress FTL.

OmegaEnder on
    Rock out with your cock out
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Both houses of Congress passed minimum wage increases earlier this year. Right now it's in committee to draft a final version that will be passed by both houses (the Senate and House versions differed significantly).

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • OmegaEnderOmegaEnder Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Maybe DNF will beat the bill...

Even if it passed tomorrow, I see this:

1) price of gas = doubled
    2) minimum wage = same

So I guess I should have said poor people FTL.

OmegaEnder on
    Rock out with your cock out
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    In 1999 I was eleven years old.

That's really weird for some reason.

When the game was announced in 1997, I was 10 years old, and didn't even have a computer in my house.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    We have elected 2 presidents
    Had 2 wars
    2 PA comics on DNF
    3 generations of consoles
    6 different windows OSes ,98,ME,2000,XP, Server 2003, Vista
    12 games by 3D relms themselves 8 of those being Duke Nukem games

Artoria on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    dragonsama wrote: »
    2 PA comics on DNF
    3, actually.

Undead Scottsman on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    i honestly don't know what people have against this game

"oh no, this game that has cost me no money so far in any way shape or form, or hasn't offendede me, grr i'm going to be mad at it grr"

FyreWulff on
  • drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'll repeat: I will buy this game, sight unseen and without reading reviews, as soon as it's on the shelves. 3DR deserves my money simply for the hilarity they have given me over the years.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    No-one is mad. They just find it funny.

I vote the game should come with ALL different versions of it, and you have to beat your way through the 1999 development version, to get to the next updated engine and so on and so forth.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Man Slash, that receipt is looking ancient

Anyway, the multiplatform news ought to add a couple years to the development time. Two years added to INFINITY.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What's coincidental is that in any racing sport, or game, DNF stands for Did Not Finish.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • NintoNinto Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think it became clear a long long time ago that 3D Realms has never actually had DNF in development, and just release press releases once in a while in order to drag out a huge practical joke.

When finally revealed as such, this joke will be legendary.

Ninto on
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Suds wrote: »
    What's coincidental is that in any racing sport, or game, DNF stands for Did Not Finish.

Something that has been a joke in these parts for probably as long as this forum has EXISTED.

Legendary indeed.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    drhazard wrote: »
    I'll repeat: I will buy this game, sight unseen and without reading reviews, as soon as it's on the shelves. 3DR deserves my money simply for the hilarity they have given me over the years.
    Same. Although for some reason I still think it's going to be awesome. Maybe I'm just longing for the badass to return to FPS's, screw cover systems! Give me a stupidly huge gun, a collection of corny one liners and some rocking guitar riffs and point me in the direction of the aliens! Let's rock!

Also:
    The 2001 trailer was awesome. And Duke Nukem still has one of the best themes ever.

-SPI- on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The problem is that they kept delaying so long and it became such a running joke that it HAS to be the BEST GAME IN ALL TIME AND SPACE for it to get even a minimal amount of respect. Of course, making the BEST GAME IN ALL TIME AND SPACE takes time and money and effort, but mostly time, and so the delays keep increasing and they keep pushing the bar up which requires more time which causes more jokes which causes them to push the bar up which requires more time...and so on...

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    edited March 2007
    Hmm, I just noticed something weird in that IGN link.
    Many PC gamers were a bit fearful of DNF, assuming the game would be a true beast that only high-end systems could handle.

Does anybody even actually have that worry? I think everybody's more worried about the exact opposite: That the thing is going to look outdated, especially to the benchmark HL2.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ninto wrote: »
    I think it became clear a long long time ago that 3D Realms has never actually had DNF in development, and just release press releases once in a while in order to drag out a huge practical joke.

Nah, they've just taken so long to finish it that they've probably had to redesign it 3 or 4 times. That plus the fact that 3D Realms is only made up of like 10 people (when a modern dev team is like 50 people), kind of explains why it's taking forever.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Prey took 10 years to come out, didn't it? Jokes aside, I'm fairly certain DNF will come out, and likely before 2010.

Hell, as this thread proves, they could put shit in a box, call it Duke Nukem Forever, and people would buy it just for posterity.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • NintoNinto Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ninto wrote: »

Nah, they've just taken so long to finish it that they've probably had to redesign it 3 or 4 times. That plus the fact that 3D Realms is only made up of like 10 people (when a modern dev team is like 50 people), kind of explains why it's taking forever.

I prefer my joke theory. It has more potential than DNF does of actually being released.

Ninto on
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Does multiple operating systems that have been released during the development cycle of the game count as multiplatform?

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • wha???wha??? Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    The problem is that they kept delaying so long and it became such a running joke that it HAS to be the BEST GAME IN ALL TIME AND SPACE for it to get even a minimal amount of respect. Of course, making the BEST GAME IN ALL TIME AND SPACE takes time and money and effort, but mostly time, and so the delays keep increasing and they keep pushing the bar up which requires more time which causes more jokes which causes them to push the bar up which requires more time...and so on...

Clearly a vicious cycle...

I really think this thread should be titled "BREAKING NEWS: Duke Nukem Forever is going to be"

(as in exist)

wha??? on
    sig.php?user=wha
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    slash000 wrote: »
    Hahah, I'm not worried about my DNF preorder being on file any more. I'm sure they've purged the records by now. It's been five years or so. But I'm sure DNF will be easily available anywhere for whatever system when/if it comes out. I just hold on to the preorder for hilarity's sake at this point; the longer before it comes out, the better... Although my preorder stub is getting rather old, faded, and delicate... Oh well.

Also, Renzo's right. I live in another city, but it's a 3 hour drive from Houston where I put the preorder in. I go back to Houston periodically; and, in fact, I'll be going to law school in Houston starting in the Fall, so I'll be there again for at least 3 years.

Not like the game will be out by the end of those three years, though.

Put it between two panes of glass. Don't laminate it,a s the heat would ruin it.. but just get it where it isn't exposed to light or air.

And if they don't honor it, file a claim with the BBB.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    edited March 2007
    Prey took 10 years to come out, didn't it? Jokes aside, I'm fairly certain DNF will come out, and likely before 2010.

Hell, as this thread proves, they could put shit in a box, call it Duke Nukem Forever, and people would buy it just for posterity.

I'd predict that it'll be the most successful failure ever. It'll be good, but be honest, it won't be the magical "Best game of ALL TIME" it has to be to justify the time taken. Sales will be average. The people here who know the history will finally throw up their arms in celebration that it finally came out. Everybody else will look at on the shelf, shrug, and keep walking.

In my humble opinion... they shouldn't release it. If they don't, it lives forever, as one of the greatest video game legends of all time. They do release it... it's completely forgotten in 6 months. Like an old hobo in the street, it dies alone.

Just my opinion though. For all we know it could also totally change the face of gaming forever. 40 years from now people look back at the history of video gaming, and it's "Before DNF" and "After DNF". :)

The Wolfman on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I'd predict that it'll be the most successful failure ever. It'll be good, but be honest, it won't be the magical "Best game of ALL TIME" it has to be to justify the time taken. Sales will be average. The people here who know the history will finally throw up their arms in celebration that it finally came out. Everybody else will look at on the shelf, shrug, and keep walking.

In my humble opinion... they shouldn't release it. If they don't, it lives forever, as one of the greatest video game legends of all time. They do release it... it's completely forgotten in 6 months. Like an old hobo in the street, it dies alone.

Just my opinion though. For all we know it could also totally change the face of gaming forever. 40 years from now people look back at the history of video gaming, and it's "Before DNF" and "After DNF". :)
    A game doesn't need to be good to become a legend. For example, Daikatana became famous partly because of the "Romero will make you his bitch" ad.

Couscous on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

I vote the game should come with ALL different versions of it, and you have to beat your way through the 1999 development version, to get to the next updated engine and so on and so forth.

That's what I said in the last DNF thread.

It will actually be five different games, which all tell a single story.

DarkPrimus on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Last article admitted they were being too ambitious, and are having to scale themselves down a bit.
    So, sadly, probably not.

Xagarath on
  • DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

Win.

That would actually be ridicolously awesome game.

DarkCrawler on
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

10 years from now - opening DNF retail box.

"What the hell is that smell?"

LockeCole on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Prey took 10 years to come out, didn't it?

Yeah, but they didn't tell us every six to twelve months that it would be out real soon.

DarkPrimus on
  • SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    they worked on prey for 10 years? ouch.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Sonos wrote: »

I'm pretty sure they dropped development on it, and then brought it back. Rather than constant 10 years of work.

Rook on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Rook wrote: »
    Sonos wrote: »

I'm pretty sure they dropped development on it, and then brought it back. Rather than constant 10 years of work.

This is truth.

Xagarath on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So, um, multiplatform, huh. Anyone thinking what I'm thinking?

img1c160c018ic7u7.jpeg

(did somebody beat me to it?)

Daedalus on