As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Got any speaker recommendations?

BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
Since my generic speakers are dying, I feel like it's time for me to get new computer speakers. The only problem for me is...finding some good ones for general use. I was looking into the Logitech Z-10's, but I don't know about those since they seem to be hard to find now. Have they been discontinued?

Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
Bartholamue on

• Options
    Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What's your budget?

Rigor Mortis on
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    To add to the above, by what means will you be connecting them to your PC? Standard mini jack or something else?

I would skip the Z-10's and at the very least get a setup with a separate subwoofer. Remember that speakers can kept through many computer upgrades, so it is worthwhile to invest in decent ones. I have an older Logitech 5.1 setup and it sounds pretty darn good and has lasted 5+ years so far.

travathian on
  • Options
    ch40sch40s Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah separate subwoofer is key. Also, make sure theres a headphone jack on the speaker system with easy access. Ive had a 2.1 set of cambridge soundworks for maybe, 7 or 8 years now so I agree investing isn't a bad idea at all.

ch40s on
    Steam - fr0mch40s
    XBL - Clarke Ch40s
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    What's your budget?
    I think my budget is around $100-$150. Also, why do I need a subwoofer? What does it do?

Bartholamue on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    What's your budget?
    I think my budget is around $100-$150. Also, why do I need a subwoofer? What does it do?
    Subwoofers play low frequency sounds when your left and right speakers can't. You don't need them if you have good L/R speakers. Especially not the half assed ones that come with "multimedia" speakers.

I will suggest Behringer MS20s or MS40s if you feel like a little more wattage (I use these.). Although some people swear by M-Audio for inexpensive speakers

They can be connected through analog or digital connections and they sound ten times better than any multimedia speakers you'll get in that price range.

Rigor Mortis on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I need some headphone recommendations. No earbuds, please. Over-the-ear would be nice. I bought a set of $50 headphones today at BB:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-XB500-Diaphragm-Driver-Headphones/dp/B001RB24S2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1253419704&sr=8-1

And while the box does say extra bass, I got them because they looked comfortable. Well, there is indeed way too much base and it makes things a bit too muddled.

So I need a recommendation for a nice set of over-the-ear headphones, hopefully not over $100. Though I'd be willing to go as high as $150 if they're that good.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Thanks for the MS-40 recommendation, but they might be a bit big for my liking. They do look like great speakers for the price, and I do like that they have many different options for sound like the white and red analog inputs for my game consoles. I'll check them out.

Uhh, where could I go to find them? Any audio/video store?

Bartholamue on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I need some headphone recommendations. No earbuds, please. Over-the-ear would be nice. I bought a set of $50 headphones today at BB:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-XB500-Diaphragm-Driver-Headphones/dp/B001RB24S2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1253419704&sr=8-1

And while the box does say extra bass, I got them because they looked comfortable. Well, there is indeed way too much base and it makes things a bit too muddled.

So I need a recommendation for a nice set of over-the-ear headphones, hopefully not over $100. Though I'd be willing to go as high as $150 if they're that good.
    I just got the latest Stereophile recommended gear guide in the mail. In that price range, they suggest Grado SR60 ($60), Goldring DR100 ($100), Goldring DR150 ($150)

Also, both Behringer and M-Audio make headphones in that price range. The Behringer HPS3000 and HPS5000 are absolutely amazing considering their sub-$50 price, but as I own the latter I should warn you the fit on the HPS5000 is quite poor and barely adjustable. I end up hanging them behind my head.

Rigor Mortis on