As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

the [adult swim] is not just for stoners thread

Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
adult-swim.gif
so, often times i see people shitting all over AS for having shows like tim and eric and family guy running. what people tend to look past is the huge amount of awesome television made for this 'channel'.
allow me to elaborate (please excuse the following youtube'd videos):

Frisky Dingo
made by the super dudes who did sealad 2021, this show started as a parody of super heroes and their villains, but replaces all main characters with self-absorbed assholes, and the people who have to put up with it. the plot rarely makes sense, but it has some of the best dialouge in any show ever made. also some of the best one liners and running gags.
Moral Orel
this is what stop motion was made for: satirical representations of bible passages played out by children, in parody of the old 'davy' shorts. also, the soundtrack is perfectly done.
Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law
this is the show where birdman becomes a lawyer and defends hanana barbera cartoons in the court of law. cases range from fred flintstone being a mafia don, to booboo of yogi fame secretly being the unibomber. also, stephen colbert.
Perfect Hair Forever
spot on parody of anime and the terrible dub/subs that came from the early anime scene in america. it's pretty incredible. but yeah, worth watching if you hate that you like anime.
The Venture Brothers
is so awesome it has it's own thread, which is right here

Super Jail
wait shit, did i say not for stoners?
irregardless, watch it
so please tell me y'all will give this shit a chance
and then discuss it with me

PS i left out a few really great shows like ATHF and the boondocks, since if you don't know how awesome these are by now then for shame

Local H Jay on

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I love Harvey Birdman.

I can't find anything wrong with it. Good animation, great writing, quick pacing.

Love the characters.

Godfather on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I remember when Adult Swim did not have terrible live-action shit like Tim And Eric Awesome Show Great Job! or Saul and the Molemen.

Back in the days of yore, when Aqua Teen was still funny, and Captain Murphy had D-Cups of Justice.

Also you are terrible for not listing Metalocalypse.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    metaloclypse is fantastic, but i for some reason thought it had it's own thread. in any case, it falls under the "i left some shit out" bit.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I enjoy Superjail a lot, if only because of the crazy, butter-smooth-yet-fucked-up animation.

Frisky Dingo is pretty good too, but sometimes the inside humor is lost on me.

Metalocalypse took a while to get into, but once things got going it worked out great. Never got past the first season, and I was curious what the old guy's motives were at the end of the season finale.

For some reason I can't get into the Venture Bros. It has everything that would appeal to me, but something just feels off, and I have no idea what it is. Most of the time whenever I watch an episode I don't really laugh at all, even though it's probably got the strongest writing in the Adult Swim line-up.

Godfather on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Godfather wrote: »

The start at the beginning and get on the inside, fool.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Not just for stoners?

It is too, you're not taking it from us without a fight.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    well, that is the most common complaint thrown against it, is that it's just something to watch when your high
    which i will admit is not wrong, but the stigma around it has caused good TV to go unwatched.

my point is, whatever your habits, these are quality shows

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    Godfather wrote: »

The start at the beginning and get on the inside, fool.

well i never

Godfather on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    One of my favourite Birdman quotes:

"You were reckless! Someone could have died...before billable services were rendered!"

I dislike how AS slashed seven episodes from Moral Orel's third series. I particularly wanted to watch the Block/Shapey episode.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    yeah, if there's one area i'd like them to improve it's relations with those production companies. so many shows get canceled as they simply never renew. meanwhile they replay king of the hill ad infinitum.
    yeah, i totally would rather see more reruns than original content, guys

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    TalleyrandTalleyrand Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cii_3XpTHGA

Shit guys. What the fuck. What the fuck.

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I dunno, I'd rather watch KotH then a lot of their lineup these days.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Cloudman wrote: »
    I dunno, I'd rather watch KotH then a lot of their lineup these days.

what i'm saying is, yeah, everyone loves koth/ futurama/ american dad, but that slot is going to a show that's already on other networks, probably more than one if you live in a populated area, and the reruns are played constantly (switch to fox at around 5 or 6).
    do we need another channel running these series? or can we take a chance on something new and not be scared of it because it's not familiar?

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I would say that the main problem with this idea is that their new shows are an utter crap shoot, and that's being generous. For every Venture Bros there's a 12 Oz Mouse or Squidbillies or Tom Goes To The Mayor or any of the live action stuff or Xavier Renegade Angel or Lucy Daughter of the Devil or Assy McGee or Stroker and Hoop.

What I'm saying is that AS hasn't had a good new show since Metalacolypse, basically.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah some of Adult Swim is just fantastic TV, latenight animation or not. Home Movies and Metalocalypse are just brilliant. Venture Brothers needs a freakin' Emmy.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ok, You're missing The Mighty Boosh, which is easily one of the funniest series they've ever aired, not to mention Aqua Teen and Sealab, robot chicken, and probably hundreds...and hundreds i've forgotten...

no lucy daughter of the devil love? That was a brilliant show. It's how i got my coach McGurk fix after home movies was canned.

good thread though.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    to be fair I'm pretty sure Mighty Boosh is not an adult swim original. it's pretty funny though.

Oh and I would like to register my hatred of Robot Chicken, possibly the most formulaic and predictable show on the entire channel.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I would say that the main problem with this idea is that their new shows are an utter crap shoot, and that's being generous. For every Venture Bros there's a 12 Oz Mouse or Squidbillies or Tom Goes To The Mayor or any of the live action stuff or Xavier Renegade Angel or Lucy Daughter of the Devil or Assy McGee or Stroker and Hoop.

What I'm saying is that AS hasn't had a good new show since Metalacolypse, basically.

Ok, I am going to fucking fight you.

Come to your house, and make you eat my shit, made up of other peoples shit, made up of our shit, which will be made out of meat.

Squidbillies is fucking hallarious and is usualy funnier then ATHF is now. Unknown hinson is awesome and the writing is pretty spot on, with the Catch a predator one being a stand out.

There live action has been hit or miss, but you fail to fucking realize that not only have they played gems like Peewee's playhouse, but are now playing classic british humor like The Mighty Boosh, and The Office, with narration by Ricky Gervais. Hell we might end up getting red dwarf we play our cards right.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

well, opinions and all that jazz, my point stands that reruns of old shows stalls creativity on one of the few networks willing to take chances on this shit

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Indeed, Mighty Boosh is a BBC show, If I recall correctly.

I actually find Robot Chicken mildly amusing. They have some nice sketches. Lil Hitler always makes me smile.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

I actually find Robot Chicken mildly amusing. They have some nice sketches. Lil Hitler always makes me smile.

Be that as it may, they're the only major network airing it.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Jokerman wrote: »
    There live action has been hit or miss, but you fail to fucking realize that not only have they played gems like Peewee's playhouse, but are now playing classic british humor like The Mighty Boosh, and The Office, with narration by Ricky Gervais. Hell we might end up getting red dwarf we play our cards right.

Nope I definitely realize these things but I was talking about their original programming, not rebroadcasts

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Jokerman wrote: »

Nope I definitely realize these things but I was talking about their original programming, not rebroadcasts

Eh they might be rebroadcast from the BBC but they're the only major network usualy doing it.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Okay, that was pretty funny.

Didn't really kick in until :37, but once it did it's magnificent.

Godfather on
  • Options
    frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

They have some funny sketches, but too often especially lately it just comes down to gory violence. Which was funny in the beginning, but now its just old.

frandelgearslip on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Moral Orel increasingly became the most depressing show ever made as episodes went on. I would have loved to see where the creators were taking the show but it got cancelled. The tacked on ending was a least a bit uplifting, but christ, some of those episodes were harsh.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It took me a long time to get into Home Movies but I am so glad I actually gave it a shot.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Home Movies, Venture bros, Metalocalypse and Frisky Dingo are honestly some of the best shows I've seen in a long, long time.

I also enjoy ATHF, Harvey Birdman and even Assy McGee, but they're not even in the same league.

edit: Also the Boosh is fucking gold. Always has been. By season 2 and 3, they're just off the charts.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Squidbillies is fucking hilarious, I don't care what anyone says.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    metalocalypse is my favorite

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Moral Orel increasingly became the most depressing show ever made as episodes went on. I would have loved to see where the creators were taking the show but it got cancelled. The tacked on ending was a least a bit uplifting, but christ, some of those episodes were harsh.

they were going to take it to that point originally, they just would have fleshed out some more plotlines along the way and maybe redeemed orel's parents

i can sooooort of see how someone would like squidbillies but if you like aqua teen hunger force then you are either high, twelve or incredibly stupid

then there's the endless family guy reruns

god adult swim's programming's just gotten so crass

Rust on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I miss the days of one eps of futurama/family guy, then the two-two and a half hours of original programing, then like 3 hours of anime of various kinds. It's not even so much that they don't show anime anymore, but that they reshow everything, including the two hour block of koth and family guy.

It kind of feels like they've sold out a bit

ronzo on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    ronzo wrote: »
    I miss the days of one eps of futurama/family guy, then the two-two and a half hours of original programing, then like 3 hours of anime of various kinds. It's not even so much that they don't show anime anymore, but that they reshow everything, including the two hour block of koth and family guy.

It kind of feels like they've sold out a bit

the anime apparently took a hit because it came under new ownership of the same guy who did shows like athf, and he didn't want anything to take away from his ratings

the third season of big o got the axe just for that

Rust on
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Home movies, Metalacalypse, Squidbillies, Superjail, Tim & Eric, and Frisky Dingo all rock.

Smurph on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Let me see. Home Movies, Metal, Boondocks, Venture Brothers, and Robot Chicken(never watched Frisky while it still aired beyond a few eps. But I did enjoy the few I watched) are all good shows to me. The first three or four seasons of ATHF were pretty good, too.

I do miss the days when they rerun Futarama, because I loved that show and I can only tolerate Family Guy to certain degree before I get bored with it.

EDIT: @Rust: There was going to be a Big O season 3!?

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Tim and Eric is my favorite, but I enjoy Venture Brothers as well.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    man, i've never seen someone who liked earlier ATHF better than later
    the show just gets better and better

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Let me see. Home Movies, Metal, Boondocks, Venture Brothers, and Robot Chicken(never watched Frisky while it still aired beyond a few eps. But I did enjoy the few I watched) are all good shows to me. The first three or four seasons of ATHF were pretty good, too.

I do miss the days when they rerun Futarama, because I loved that show and I can only tolerate Family Guy to certain degree before I get bored with it.

EDIT: @Rust: There was going to be a Big O season 3!?

yes, it was going to actually make SENSE and be COHERENT

but then management at adult swim changed and told the creators 'haha fuck off aqua teen4lyfe'

so they had to cram as much plot as possible into the last two episodes

Rust on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    man, i've never seen someone who liked earlier ATHF better than later
    the show just gets better and better

I mean the first season did suck but that is the exact opposite of the opinions everyone I know have.

Dragkonias on