As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Resident Evil: Casually Shooting Bees In The Hallway

• Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I never really got into the RE series, but my friend and I had a goddamn blast playing through RE5 together.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Resident Evil 4 is a really good game, but it is bittersweet for me because I really enjoyed the old RE games and I fear that those games are dead and gone.

Thats my feelings exactly. I so wanted to hate that game for ending the traditional Resident Evil style, but the game was just too good to hate.

Resident evil 5 on the other hand went even further into action and just is not that fun. Its nice that they actually moved the story forward and answered some questions that we had been waiting over a decade for, but except for the part
    where you enter the old umbrella lab (nostalgia!!)
    I could easily never play the game again.

frandelgearslip on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    One thing I've always wondered is whatever happened to Umbrella's Europe Branch. The guys in Paris actually played some minor roles in previous entries. They developed the Nemesis parasite, and even still had two Nemesis units at their disposal. It was the facility that Claire broke into at the beginning of Code Veronica, and it was the place that developed the tG-virus. We never seem them get brought down like we saw the other facilities.

Undead Scottsman on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Resident Evil 4 is one of my favourite games ever. I gave up on 5 early on, I really need to get back to it some time.

PaperLuigi44 on
    edited September 2009
    Also, I love the backstory the games (as obtuse and delightfully silly as it can be) but I can't, for the life of me, get into the older games (RE0-3 and CV). RE4 was great through, and the Chronicles series allows me to play through events without putting up with what I don't like about the older games.

BTW, to exemplify the sillyness of the franchise, this series of Let's Play from the SA forums completely tears the entire franchise apart. I thought they were pretty funny.

They go in reverse order, strangely.
    RE4
    Code Veronica (Plus he plays through the first Gun Survivor game in the middle)
    RE2&3 (He plays through them in chronological order, first half of RE3, RE2 and then the second half of RE3. He also plays as both Leon and Claire (Claira A and Leon B to be precise)
    Dead Aim (Ugh)
    RE0
    REmake (With choice bits of the original. He also plays through as both Jill and Chris, for hilarious illogical results)

Undead Scottsman on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I second those LPs, especially the RE4 one.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I am just posting to voice that I too would gladly buy RE2 and 3 again if they did a remake like RE1. Don't complicate things, just remake it like RE1 with better graphics, tightening of mechanics/story, and new content and I will buy it day one.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • mr-razzcocksmr-razzcocks Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I just started RE1 again this week. God DAMN it, I don't remember it being so fucking hard.

mr-razzcocks on
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    REmake of 2 and 3 would be sweet. REmake 1 2 and 3 in RE4 style and Capcom can have all of my money.

in 4 style? no way, 1 2 and 3 and even cv, would not work in the style of 4.

Deaderinred on
    edited September 2009
    The whole reason they had to go with possesed villagers instead of zombies was because zombies with the RE4 control scheme aren't even remotely a threat unless there are a hundred of them.

Now a new RE4-style game with zombies can be done, but they'll probably have to be upgraded to fast zombies (Yes, yes, I'm speaking blasphemy and all that.)

Undead Scottsman on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    nah, since we spent the last two games fighting giant bugs and nondescript black goo, i can safely say fast zombies will be a breath of fucking fresh air

Local H Jay on
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The whole reason they had to go with possesed villagers instead of zombies was because zombies with the RE4 control scheme aren't even remotely a threat unless there are a hundred of them.

Now a new RE4-style game with zombies can be done, but they'll probably have to be upgraded to fast zombies (Yes, yes, I'm speaking blasphemy and all that.)

Actually the Ganados (sp?) from 4 are not that different mechanically from Zombies. They are pretty slow and occasionally get fast when they get close to you. I believe they movie faster in 5, but in 4 those dudes are pretty slow moving.

The enemies in 5 basically are fast moving zombies. The RE series has never had "traditional" zombies. They are never undead, just infected by a disease.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    They should give the merchant from Resident Evil 4 his own game.

You'll profit on selling arms during a zombie apocalypse.

Set it up like the Square-Enix game on Wii Ware where you run the kingdom.

Strike a balance between making money and making sure your customers have enough guns and ammo to make a return trip!
    I want to know how RE5 managed to not be at least as good as RE4.

RE5 is a really fun game in co-op.

RE5 is a frustrating, mediocre game in single player.

If I could toggle Shiva being in the game then it would improve a lot. I got sick of her dying or wasting healing sprays when I was playing by myself. A mate and I had a ball playing together, but I'll have to get my brother to play it with me if I want to finish my copy.

What I would love to see is the Outbreak franchise brought back and used for the co-op/multiplayer line of games and the bog standard Resident Evil # for the single player series.

Kelor on
    edited September 2009
    I think I may have to find a person to play RE5 with.

I'm regretting not getting a 360, because I could play it with my brothers, who both have 360s.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • DisDis Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I just beat RE5 yesterday.
    Honestly I think Left 4 Dead is more fun.

RE4 and 5 has the change the game genre.
    RE0,1,2,3, Code Veronica has more exploring and puzzles.
    RE4 still has puzzles and exploring.
    RE5 puzzles and exploring are almost gone unless you are looking for those silly Emblem.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BrianBrian Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    REmake of 2 and 3 would be sweet. REmake 1 2 and 3 in RE4 style and Capcom can have all of my money.

in 4 style? no way, 1 2 and 3 and even cv, would not work in the style of 4.

My what a stylish sophisticated avatar you have there.

Brian on
    edited September 2009
    Dis wrote: »
    I just beat RE5 yesterday.
    Honestly I think Left 4 Dead is more fun.

RE4 and 5 has the change the game genre.
    RE0,1,2,3, Code Veronica has more exploring and puzzles.
    RE4 still has puzzles and exploring.
    RE5 puzzles and exploring are almost gone unless you are looking for those silly Emblem.

It seems like the problem with RE5 is that it wants to be a full on action game, but they just haven't modernized the control scheme at all.The whole no aiming and shooting thing is ridiculous. That requires the developers to actively not utilize a stick during aiming. All RE games could use more control configuration options.

Uselesswarrior on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If you guys want an interesting read, check out the Resident Evil Plot Summery on gamefaqs. (Cant link since I'm on my iPhone at work.)

guy played through just about every RE game and breaks it down while also pointing out some details. Not sure if he did 5 yet though. I think I also contributed a minor part with the Gun Survivor 2 bit.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited September 2009
    Let me sum up the Resident Evil plot for you in one word, nonsense.

That being said, the last gametrailers video in the op does a good job of putting a bow on that nonsense.

Uselesswarrior on
  • BrianBrian Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Let me sum up the plot of any videogame for you in one word, nonsense.

Fixed.

Brian on
    edited September 2009
    No some games have good plots. They are almost all western games.

The important thing with Resident Evil games is that they just serve as a way to put the player in the setting to shoot/run by some monsters. The individual plots on there own are nothing exceptional bad. It is only when you combine the Resident Evil game plots into a overarching storyline that they become a Voltron like mass of nonsense.

Uselesswarrior on
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I want an RE game with this motherfucker as the main character:

BarryBurtonPNG-1.png

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
    edited September 2009
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    I want an RE game with this motherfucker as the main character:

Picture of the B-man.

Be careful what you ... want for. Resident Evil Gaiden.

He doesn't get the cover feature, that prima donna Leon beats him out, but he is the main character in the game.
    File:Gaiden.png

Uselesswarrior on
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I want a real game on a major non-handheld console.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
    edited September 2009
    Anyone remember that hilarious website some guy made devoted to Barry? I think he took it down because I haven't gotten anything on Google. But it was good catalog of all his exploits.

Like that part in RE1 where he drops the rope. A clever betrayal? No, he is just Barry.

Uselesswarrior on
  • ZegunaZeguna Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I will never get over the Resident Evil Remake. I can easily say that it is the most gorgeous game I've ever seen.

Zeguna on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

I'm regretting not getting a 360, because I could play it with my brothers, who both have 360s.

play with me, dude.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Brian wrote: »
    REmake 1 2 and 3 in RE4 style and Capcom can have all of my money.

Wrong. They would cease to be Resident Evil.

How about them being remade in the style of the canned version of RE4?

Turkey on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Zombies would still be a threat in the style of RE4 & 5.

The danger in Zombies comes from their slow shambling. It lulls you into a false sense of safety. If the game throws like, 15+ Zombies at you, it'd be very easy to lose track of some of em.

Plus they could keep using the whole "Crimson Head" idea. Wherein a "dead" but unburned Zombie body turns into a red skinned sprinting death beast...

Still remember the first time that happened to me in REmake..yikes...

Edit: To clarify, I'm not looking for an exact RE4 copy in RE1 skin. I just want an over the shoulder camera, and non tank controls. Still with the exploring and cranks, and keys, and emblems and shiz

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    I want an RE game with Mike as the main character.

Fixed

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Zombies would still be a threat in the style of RE4 & 5.

The danger in Zombies comes from their slow shambling. It lulls you into a false sense of safety. If the game throws like, 15+ Zombies at you, it'd be very easy to lose track of some of em.

Plus they could keep using the whole "Crimson Head" idea. Wherein a "dead" but unburned Zombie body turns into a red skinned sprinting death beast...

Still remember the first time that happened to me in REmake..yikes...

Edit: To clarify, I'm not looking for an exact RE4 copy in RE1 skin. I just want an over the shoulder camera, and non tank controls. Still with the exploring and cranks, and keys, and emblems and shiz

Of course, there are all the other fast, dangerous enemies, like the Hunters, Chimeras, and bosses. Fighting Yawn in the fixed camera angle was frantic because you could easily lose track of where its head is, but think about it from the over-the-shoulder angle: having to aim and fire into its mouth precisely while it's getting ready to strike? That would be tense.

Grimthwacker on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Darlan wrote: »
    Here's hoping for a proper REmake of RE2. Lightgun games don't count.

At all.

Oh man Resident Evil 2 with PS3/360 level graphics. Droool. Not much chance we'd see that though, I think Capcom has unfortunately put the old RE formula out to pasture. Because the world needs more 3rd person action games.
    Reznik wrote: »
    I miss the old school RE setup. The new ones just don't have the same kind of atmosphere.

In places, RE4 is easily one of the creepiest Resident Evil games. Then there is a part where a
    giant robot chases you across a bridge.
    The tone is very weird, it's like playing three unrelated games stuck together.

What the hell? When does that happen?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited September 2009

play with me, dude.

D:

I'm on the PS3. I know from the steam thread that you have the PC version.
    Turkey wrote: »

How about them being remade in the style of the canned version of RE4?

What is that your referring to?
    In places, RE4 is easily one of the creepiest Resident Evil games. Then there is a part where a
    giant robot chases you across a bridge.
    The tone is very weird, it's like playing three unrelated games stuck together.

What the hell? When does that happen?

It is a giant statue to that little fellow that owns the castle.

Uselesswarrior on
    edited September 2009

Actually the Ganados (sp?) from 4 are not that different mechanically from Zombies. They are pretty slow and occasionally get fast when they get close to you. I believe they movie faster in 5, but in 4 those dudes are pretty slow moving.

The enemies in 5 basically are fast moving zombies. The RE series has never had "traditional" zombies. They are never undead, just infected by a disease.

Last I checked, Zombies don't normally throw shit at you (Like Axes, knifes, dynamite) nor do they weild weapons (like the aforementioned axes, plus flails, crossbows and the occasional mini-gun)

Undead Scottsman on
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Last I checked, Zombies don't normally throw shit at you (Like Axes, knifes, dynamite) nor do they weild weapons (like the aforementioned axes, plus flails, crossbows and the occasional mini-gun)

Eh. Depends on the zombies.

Some of them can even use phones.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Resident Evil 5 is the gaming equivalent of poop dipped in poo-butter.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Resident Evil 5 is the gaming equivalent of poop dipped in poo-butter.

Jesus, it wasn't that bad.

Its enjoyable even.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    edited September 2009
    BigDes wrote: »

Eh. Depends on the zombies.

Some of them can even use phones.

Send more cops.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wylpeAXYcBQ

Plus the zombies in the original Night of the Living Dead used weapons.

Uselesswarrior on
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Send more cops.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wylpeAXYcBQ

Plus the zombies in the original Night of the Living Dead used weapons.

:40 no! they are gonna zombify future zombie stripper!

Egos on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So is this game worth playing? Some say it's okay and others vomit uncontrollably whenever they hear it mentioned

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg