As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Heroes of Newerth (HoN) - ITT we stop buying the Runed Axe already!

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I hope they don't port NA over. The hero is just BS. There is really nothing most int/agi heroes can do against him once he gets dagon/codex and hits level 6. Weaver on the other had was always a blast to play, if not the most powerful hero ever.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    He shouldn't be as good at last hitting, considering what's happened to most other int nukers. They all have horrible animations, and even with his reduced range, he was a beast. Plus, 1 level of chain lg + 1 level of static early means he can last hit/deny AND harass for free.

Plus, c'mon, kid's a stunted little dwarf.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    yay got my first quadruple kill. as plague rider, when tempest ulted. I ulted and bam, all of them dead in like two seconds. Got some hattricks too. Plague rider owns.

Fuga on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Fuga, you say everyone owns.... =P

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    man fuga owns now.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Well, I guess I'll start playing again if they ever do a stat reset, since I can't get into any decent games anymore. =\

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    übergeek wrote: »
    Well, I guess I'll start playing again if they ever do a stat reset, since I can't get into any decent games anymore. =\

Reason why I don't want to buy this game.
    Stats and PSR needs to be fixed.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Dis wrote: »

Reason why I don't want to buy this game.
    Stats and PSR needs to be fixed.

Yeah, once your PSR gets low enough, you don't get to play anymore. I don't see the point of PSR since it's no an indication of your own skill, just whether or not you were on a team that sucked or was good over and over.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    There's a lot of games I'm seein' now where they insist on "1300-". Go on in and kick ass.

But yeah, it would be nice if you could reset your stats. Every once in a while, or maybe they'll have seasons or something.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Well I'm down to about 1150, 2 days ago I was 1280 and trying to get that one win to get me to 1300. =\

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Imperfect wrote: »
    There's a lot of games I'm seein' now where they insist on "1300-". Go on in and kick ass.

But yeah, it would be nice if you could reset your stats. Every once in a while, or maybe they'll have seasons or something.

It would be neat to have stats for the different modes too. EM or normal. RD, AR, SD and AP. Ladders for the different modes would be neat as well. Weekly, monthly or yearly ladders would add a lot. So many options. I wish they would give some sort of info on what they plan to do. I can't fathom pre-ordering at the current state of the game.

Shens on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Stick to playin' Arachna - well-played, she changes the fates of entire games.

EDIT:

Their next big update is supposed to be tournaments/ladders or something, replays, all that good stuff. So there's not too much longer to wait to find out. Regardless, I'm having plenty enough fun in pubs to have warranted my purchase.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    I kept getting bitched at by an Arachna who blamed me for everything, she would keep throwing her ult on magebane who would then teleport away with 100 health and be safe but it was my fault because I didn't do something they wanted me to do but I had no opportunity to do and they didn't have the time to explain. Good times.

Oh and pollywog with a staff of the master is actually a lot of fun.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Pollywog is a pretty dangerous hero right at level six. He becomes really squishy later on if your focused fired but otherwise he's one of my favorites.

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

There is nothing worse than a well-played Arachna. She ALWAYS ruins my day.

DharmaBum on
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    awesome, guess it'll be possible to create your own heroes with the editor in hon.
    and this mod looks kick-ass
    http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/showthread.php?t=20112

Fuga on
  • Options
    KhaczorKhaczor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I totally just got raped by a different build with nymphora. Gonna try it out.

Khaczor on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    DharmaBum wrote: »

There is nothing worse than a well-played Arachna. She ALWAYS ruins my day.

Well, lately I've tried to pick something to offset the terrible picks of my team, sicne I want to get my PSR back up. I can grind out kills anytime, but only if I have the PSR to get into the most noobish of games to begin with.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Well yeah, but if you wreck their solo mid, it makes a pretty big difference. And decent roamin' and gankin' as Arachna will cause many an opposing team to fall the hell apart. If you're five levels ahead, they will need to pull together some kind of miracle to be able to stop you.

A well-played Arachna against a team of noobs will win games with only a minimum of backup.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    iusehappymodiusehappymod Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    A well-played any-hero-at-all against a team of noobs will win games with only a minimum of backup.

iusehappymod on

Hamlet will be Hamlet
    An ineffable tragedy of the human spirit that still resonates, even today.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Well yeah, but if you wreck their solo mid, it makes a pretty big difference. And decent roamin' and gankin' as Arachna will cause many an opposing team to fall the hell apart. If you're five levels ahead, they will need to pull together some kind of miracle to be able to stop you.

A well-played Arachna against a team of noobs will win games with only a minimum of backup.

Ok, question about Item build order.....I usually take a crown, 2 blights and fill up with totems, then I buy boots, then make 2 soulscreams, then finish the steamboots (which I guess should now be phaseboots), then wingbow, (then assassin shroud if I get focused alot I just stealth and walk around to their flank and shoot them in the back), then Flayer and Shieldbreaker.

Good? Bad?

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If the games you play go on long enough for you to get 3-4 top tier items then I would pick a different hero that scales better with items.

khain on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I still prefer the Enchanted Marchers on Arach. And I'd build one agil wristband and one strength one, strength first. Extra damage is good, but survivability is key.

I try not to get totems these days unless I plan on turning them into something (refreshing ornament, shield of the five, etc.)

Otheriwse, pretty good. Wingbow has a nice build up too.

Oh, and I don't tend to bother with blights now either. I find healing potions more useful and STAY useful if you play well and don't have to heal much in the beginning.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    F. ex Madman scales the best I think.

Jutranjo on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Arachna is a legitimate agi hard carry, though not quite as item dependent as others since she can harass well and even gank a bit. She scales well with items, just get a lot of damage and push push push.

You only get damage first if you need the help last hitting. +3 damage for early harass doesn't mean shit since you're getting it all from the orb. If you can do without then get a bit of HP or regen instead, maybe even a courier.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Basically, I just need someone who can keep my kills above my deaths, and can counter the stupid of my teammates enough to win the game. Right now I mainly and desperately need wins more than kills though.

EDIT Usually the game ends after I've got my Riftshards, sometimes I finish the Flayer, I never get around to the Shieldbreaker.

I tend to wonder if the armor debuff and less damage on Shieldbreaker is more important and more consistant than the crit and higher damage of the flayer (taking into account the fast attack speed).

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Try pushing then. Even a team of retards can rally around that.

Hellbringer for easy, super easy laning. Get in lane with your best DPS hero and just harass and deny. Build an astrolabe then a refresher. Find the lane the creeps are pushing, drop your ult, kill the tower, back up if there's real opposition. Repeat as needed. Once you get your double ult then you can charge any tower you want. As long as your team at least SHOWS UP you should be able to push and push and win.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Hmm, I might give that a try.

Also, we need a new thread soon, who's up to the task?

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    DrakmathusDrakmathus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    we won that game spades12. OJ was accused of backdooring (it wasn't) and their team fell apart worse than ours did. PS, you should get boots on swiftblade before a runed axe!

Drakmathus on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Isn't boots on Swiftblade one of those "ASAP" things?

Man, I am too drunk to play, but I think I might go in and practice pulling creeps into the bottom lane to deny...

Imperfect on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    yes. He's the only hero where boots first makes any sort of sense.

well, maybe him and spiritbreaker, but he isn't in the game.

Drakmathus on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    So I just messed around with Voodoo Jester. He's rather neat. Big AoE HoT, that bouncing thing could be really tedious, and his ultimate seems ready-made for killing bitches. You want to cast it from behind some trees, though.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    StreltsyStreltsy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Basically, I just need someone who can keep my kills above my deaths, and can counter the stupid of my teammates enough to win the game. Right now I mainly and desperately need wins more than kills though.

EDIT Usually the game ends after I've got my Riftshards, sometimes I finish the Flayer, I never get around to the Shieldbreaker.

I tend to wonder if the armor debuff and less damage on Shieldbreaker is more important and more consistant than the crit and higher damage of the flayer (taking into account the fast attack speed).

Isn't Flayer (any +crit% item really) a rather bad investment until late late game? I think the same goes for life steal items. I prefer to get those items as my 5th or 6th major items (so pretty much never).

Shieldbreaker is the best DPS for gold item in the game, so it's hard to go wrong with it as your first major +damage item. Shieldbreaker, Assassin's Shroud, Savage Mace, Wingbow, Behemoth's Heart, Flayer would be how I would build her (without a particular order except Shieldbreaker + Shroud first and Flayer last).

So I just messed around with Voodoo Jester. He's rather neat. Big AoE HoT, that bouncing thing could be really tedious, and his ultimate seems ready-made for killing bitches. You want to cast it from behind some trees, though.

Voodoo Jester is one of my favourite heroes so far, but he's not easy to play. All his spells have good synergy and his Cursed Ground spell has crazy synergy with any nuker (which are pretty popular, so he's almost always a good pick). The reason he's hard is because you can 4 active spells to manage, which all have a pretty shitty cast animation (e.g. slow). Eventually you end up with 5 active battle spells (totem of kuldra or codex); and codex can be a horrible investment if you don't end up using it well early.

Streltsy on
    410239-1.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I never really liked Codex - it's neat and all, but it's hard to get early when it's most useful, and it's way less useful late game when people have magic armour and hp out the wazoo. I almost always feel like I'm putting my money into other, better items.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Just play as succubus uber geek.

One disable

One "i'm not gonna let you do any damage" spell.

A bite that heals back.

Seriously, what more do you need.

Oh yeah, an ulti that guarantees kills 1v1.

Or you could just play with me. If anything, my problem is that my PSR is too high :P

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    StreltsyStreltsy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I never really liked Codex - it's neat and all, but it's hard to get early when it's most useful, and it's way less useful late game when people have magic armour and hp out the wazoo. I almost always feel like I'm putting my money into other, better items.

Codex is usually bad yeah, but nukes synergy with cursed ground well so it can work on Jester well if you can pull it off. It's pointless, of course, if you have a nuker on your team already who knows to unload after you cast it.

Streltsy on
    410239-1.png
  • Options
    i like piei like pie Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    i just heard of the new game HoN which is similar to DOTA, but it is difficult to get a beta key:( if anyone has a spare key that they can share please email it to jojidejesus1229@yahoo.com.

Thnx

i like pie on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    SkyGheNe wrote: »

One disable

A bite that heals back.

Truth. I routinely will go something like 9-1-9 with Succubus/Bane. You barely even need items. Regular start items, enhanced marchers, sustainer and staff of the master should carry you into late game.

Drakmathus on
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    For this game you have to plan what you are going to get.
    An average game gives you only 12,000 Gold.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DefunkerDefunker Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Drakmathus wrote: »
    SkyGheNe wrote: »

One disable

A bite that heals back.

Truth. I routinely will go something like 9-1-9 with Succubus/Bane. You barely even need items. Regular start items, enhanced marchers, sustainer and staff of the master should carry you into late game.

His starting int slash int growth sucks something horrible though. He really is the worst for that on the scourge side. Skip the sustainer (you don't need health regen) and get a cyclone stick (its great for when a blood hunter is about to tear off a team-mates face when you're all trying to split, and all your disables are on CD. Also, the move speed helps). Also, steamboots instead of enhanced marchers, switching them up as necessary (I don't think you need the attack speed, armor and int/str helps though). Beauty of this is you can get away with not bothering with nulls/bracers. Game goes on long enough, and the opposition is actually smart, get a shrunken head so you can ult in a group fight without having the channel broken.

IMO the big weakness of succubus is that he has 4 spells to cast, and crap for mana. Gotta build him to fix that.

Staff of the master only adds like 200 something damage to his ult. Not worth it, really.

Defunker on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]