As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer aging

KazakaKazaka AsleepCounting SheepRegistered User regular
I know around these parts purchasing rather than buying a computer for gaming purposes is viewed as lazy or perhaps lacking in trueblooded nerdiness, but I simply don't have the wherewithal to go about it. Is Alienware a legitimate substitute? http://gaming-pc-review.toptenreviews.com/ is where I've been scoping out some possible upgrades.
Should I get one of these? Something else? Just quit bitching and learn how to construct one?

Kazaka on

• Options
    Jimmy5150Jimmy5150 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Building a computer isn't actually too hard...I just did it for the first time myself and had relatively few problems and saved hundreds of dollars (especially compared to Alienware machines, which as far as I know have had a reputation for being overpriced).

If you post possible builds and ask questions in the stickied computer build thread you can get a lot of useful advice that takes a lot of the pain out of building your first machine.

Jimmy5150 on

jimmy5150-wide.png
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The problem with prebuilts are twofold: the difficulty in finding the configuration you want and the high price once you find it.

For instance the dell in that lineup has a top of the line processor and a video card that would be beat by any $85 4850 and costs over $1600.

Just to be clear in 95% of cases that computer will play games less well than the $550 (including os) computer I recently posted in the build thread. Meanwhile it's almost impossible to spend $1600 on building a PC without lining the case with cash to improve sound absorbsion.

Also unless you are looking for a budget gaming PC you might as well wait for the new DX11 cards to come out.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If you ever built legos as a kid, putting together a computer is easier than that. Short of that, you're better off paying a forumer to build it from OEM parts than pay the alienware markup. you'll still pay too much, but the "too much" will be less than what alienware charges.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    Mazer RackhamMazer Rackham __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Building a computer is mostly about preparation, getting all the right parts you're going to need, from the motherboard to the thermal paste, and making sure the components will play nicely with each other ahead of time and planning your budget, etc. This really is the hardest part about building a computer.

The actual physical labor is trivial, mostly plugging stuff together.

Probably not as easy as snapping Legos together though.

Mazer Rackham on
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Kazaka wrote: »
    I know around these parts purchasing rather than buying a computer for gaming purposes is viewed as lazy or perhaps lacking in trueblooded nerdiness...

Actually, that's kind of a tired old stereotype back when much fewer people used to do this. Nowadays it's just seen as paying way way way too much and getting nothing back. Remember that PC gamers have always been a niche audience, and are a MUCH smaller niche audience of late as consoles have grown. Manufacturers aren't really marketing to them, and don't particularly care about their needs. If they can throw a bunch of cheap pseudo-gaming crap into a box, CALL it a gaming computer, and sell it to some mom whose son "wants to game", they're gonna do that and make an obscene profit.

Pick one of the computer thread's builds and be done with it.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    The only difficult thing about building a PC is the psychological hurdle the first time you do it. I won't deny, the inside of a PC is really damn intimidating, if you're not already used to poking around in there.

But, once you get over that, it's 99% "plug tab A into slot B." The most intimidating aspect for me now are the jumpers for the case, and the cock-fucking CPU heat sinks. Seriously, fuck heat sinks. I shouldn't have to put my entire goddamned shoulder into clamping down a bit of metal.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If I can build a PC, anyone can do it.

And I did.

Evander on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I know people are only trying to help when they tell the OP's of these threads to build their own, but seriously... if one of the first things they say is that they're not interested in building one, then I fail to see why people should push so hard for them to do so. A more constructive use of their time would be to list reliable sites and manufacturers where they can choose the components they want, have it built for them and come with a warranty in case something goes wrong.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    Mazer RackhamMazer Rackham __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    If you're going to buy a computer rather than build one you might as well just get a Mac, because any PC you buy is gonna be crappy compared to anything you could build from scratch, for the same amount of money.

Mazer Rackham on
  • Options
    Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If you're going to buy a computer rather than build one you might as well just get a Mac, because any PC you buy is gonna be crappy compared to anything you could build from scratch, for the same amount of money.
    This is true.

But there is a real irony in using the performance to money ratio of a ready built PC to encourage buying a mac.

Rigor Mortis on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Rohan wrote: »
    I know people are only trying to help when they tell the OP's of these threads to build their own, but seriously... if one of the first things they say is that they're not interested in building one, then I fail to see why people should push so hard for them to do so. A more constructive use of their time would be to list reliable sites and manufacturers where they can choose the components they want, have it built for them and come with a warranty in case something goes wrong.

I'm all ears.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I'm all ears.

Exactly. If such a site existed, it would already be recommended. There was a similar thread in the games forum a few months ago, and nobody could find a reasonable site like that. The sites either have terrible parts selection or an outrageous markup.

If the OP is deadset against personally building, the best thing to do is ask for part recommendations in the computer build thread then find a friend or local computer shop to assemble the parts.

grrarg on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm guessing that the OP is from America/Canada, and I have no idea what's out there compared to here. Sites like Komplett over here offer their own special selections of upgrades, though they still require the user to assemble them. As you guys said, getting a friend to do it is a good idea.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I'm all ears.

Doesn't Newegg have a "build this computer" service item you can add to your cart with all the component parts you want? I could swear I read about that in the main computer build thread a while back, but haven't been able to find it there (words like"Newegg," "build," and "assemble" do effectively nothing to find posts in that thread...) or on Newegg.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Iolo wrote: »

I'm all ears.

Doesn't Newegg have a "build this computer" service item you can add to your cart with all the component parts you want? I could swear I read about that in the main computer build thread a while back, but haven't been able to find it there (words like"Newegg," "build," and "assemble" do effectively nothing to find posts in that thread...) or on Newegg.

Oh, I wish they did. NCIX has that option.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Iolo wrote: »

I'm all ears.

Oh, I wish they did. NCIX has that option.

Ah, that explains why I couldn't find it on Newegg. So is the NCIX assembly route a viable path between the "Want to buy and not build" and "Never buy only build" camps?

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    It's hard to say. Right now I'm trying to replicate a build from the thread but their website's design is really annoying.

Certainly using NCIX or configuring at Cyberpower or iBuypower is going to be a better idea than buying a terribly configured computer. But I don't think any of those places are known for their customer support, so be ready to take care of yourself.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well gentlemen, I've discovered that my cousin, who will be down in from Louisiana for the weekend, is agreeing to get things done in the build department provided I supply the green. I'll be going that route.
    I'll watch him to see how it's done so I don't have to shell out too much cash from here on in.
    Thanks, all.

Kazaka on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Well gentlemen, I've discovered that my cousin, who will be down in from Louisiana for the weekend, is agreeing to get things done in the build department provided I supply the green. I'll be going that route.
    I'll watch him to see how it's done so I don't have to shell out too much cash from here on in.
    Thanks, all.

Sounds like a plan. Be sure to run your build buy us in the sticky thread.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DoctorstrongbadDoctorstrongbad Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Thanks, all.

I wish you good luck and hope things work out well.

Doctorstrongbad on