As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Darksiders] = Zelda + DMC + GoW + Panzer Dragoon + SotC + Portal.

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The problem is sporky, there is not really a short/single word way of describing the gameplay of "enter a dungeon,find item,use item to beat dungeon/boss and unlock new parts of the world".

I mean,that's basically what Zelda IS and I think Zelda even invented that kind of gameplay.

So I can understand that when people ask "So what's your gameplay like?" they say "It's like Zelda!" explaining for 5 minutes.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I can't believe no one has made the Soul Reaver comparison yet. I mean, this is basically the closest thing we're getting to a new one. I can't stand the 90s Todd McFarlane artstyle myself, but I think the game has loads of potential. I certainly hope it works out.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    Giga GopherGiga Gopher Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wow, it's been so long since I've even heard of Soul Reaver that I had totally forgotten about it! What a great game that was.

Giga Gopher on
    My friend's band - Go on, have a listen
    Cannon+Goose.png
    Oh it's such a nice day, I think I'll go out the window! Whoa!
  • Options
    Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I like the art and i can see it being a very atmospheric world. Also very very nice voice actors, so assuming the dialogue isn't complete tripe it'll have that on like, almost every other game nowadays.

Basically with a bit of luck, this'll be good good times.

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    Mr ObersmithMr Obersmith Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Travan wrote: »
    Gonna say it again: this game is being made by the people making the Warhammer 40k MMO. Don't know about you, but they seem pretty similar aesthetically. Maybe the plotting is a little weak, and I'll admit that I groaned at the subtitle(which I haven't seen all that publicized recently, so maybe they wised up).

There's a reason they look alike. Joe Madueira (sp?) is doing the artwork and cocept designs for both of them. I've always liked his style but I still haven't forgiven him for being part of Ultimates 3.

Mr Obersmith on
    Battle.net - Obersmith#1709
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Klyka wrote: »
    The problem is sporky, there is not really a short/single word way of describing the gameplay of "enter a dungeon,find item,use item to beat dungeon/boss and unlock new parts of the world".

I mean,that's basically what Zelda IS and I think Zelda even invented that kind of gameplay.

So I can understand that when people ask "So what's your gameplay like?" they say "It's like Zelda!" explaining for 5 minutes.

While people on message boards are quick to say "omg this game looks just like <x> only better," devs should not be going around touting their game as being like <x>. It's like you know your product is inferior but want the association with a much better game to improve its reputation. That's why there are so many cruddy games from no-names saying "it's like GTA mixed with Gears of War mixed with Zelda!"

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited September 2009

While people on message boards are quick to say "omg this game looks just like <x> only better," devs should not be going around touting their game as being like <x>. It's like you know your product is inferior but want the association with a much better game to improve its reputation. That's why there are so many cruddy games from no-names saying "it's like GTA mixed with Gears of War mixed with Zelda!"

Well,but instead of GTA you can say "open world", instead of gears of War you can say "third person shooter with cover mechanic". But what do you say instead of Zelda? Action Adventure? Open world action adventure?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm a bit unsure on this, like they're trying too hard.

One of the walkthrough video's was all about how badass WAR was because he'll kill angels too.

Karl on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    If the developers were to say that the game featured a large open world, sword combat, dungeon exploration, puzzles and boss fights, would people just pipe up and say "Hmm, sounds like Zelda"?

It's like they're just being very open about what they're trying to do.

Giga Gopher on
    Cannon+Goose.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Well,but instead of GTA you can say "open world", instead of gears of War you can say "third person shooter with cover mechanic". But what do you say instead of Zelda? Action Adventure? Open world action adventure?

I don't know if it's any travesty that you tell some news sites in an interview that "it plays similarly to Zelda games." That is easier to say than "you solve puzzles and find major items in dungeons and use them to kill bosses and get to new areas." What you don't do is say that every chance you get, and spew stuff like "if Hyrule were destroyed in the Apocalypse, Link was given a chain gun, and grew some balls."

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Are we really all this fucking cynical?

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Anything like Zelda and Metroid but not actually Zelda or Metroid are pretty much a confirmed buy for me when there is no new Zelda or Metroid to be had. Also Diablo clones.

THis game looks pretty neat. So if they use Zelda adventure mechanics and GoW or DMC style action then this would be a no brainer. Unless you know, the game really sucks.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    A lot of people bought and loved Shadow Complex because it was said to be a "Metroidvania."

It's a strategy that works.

Giga Gopher on
    Cannon+Goose.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    Not gonna lie, this looks pretty sweet.

I want Zelda-type gameplay from more than just Zelda, dammit. Nintendo takes too fucking long making them.

Yeah I know. I don't really care much for what little I've seen of this, but it still begs the question as to why more games don't attempt the Zelda formula.

Anybody else play Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy last gen? It was a fun Zelda-like. Sadly, it garnered no sequel. :(

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Are we really all this fucking cynical?

internet

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm sorry, but the unreasonable amount of hate hulking ripped as hell huge weapon characters get seems to be the new form of insecurity. Oh no I can't like these things what if people think I'm overcompensating :<

I am perfectly okay with a game that's philosophy is "You're huge! That means you must have huge guts! Rip and tear!"

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    War needs a badass ragged cape and possibly James Earl Jones voicing him. Especially if Mark Hammil is the side kick.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I want him to be voiced by Billy Dee Williams.

"Has anybody seen the cold,malt liquor?"

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Personally, I'd have prefered Famine or Death.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

From the Wiki page, Famine and Pestilence have been replace with 'Strife' and 'Fury'.

Lame.

Clearly the classic four horsemen weren't fighty enough for an action game.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I remember them saying that Famine and Pestilence had to be renamed because otherwise their rating would have been higher than they wanted.

Don't ask me why though.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wut? Do you mean the age rating? How does that make any sense in the slightest?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Clearly, killing your enemies right away is better then let them die of sickness or starve to death!

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Wut? Do you mean the age rating? How does that make any sense in the slightest?

I know,it doesn't,but I seriously remember one of the developers saying that in a video.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This reminds me of an interesting opinion piece over at Gamasutra about game clones versus new genre definitions—essentially, recognizing the gray area between "Doom clones" and FPSes, or "Bejeweled clones" and match-3 puzzle games.

It is kind of lame, but sadly, it's not specific to the games industry. Movies are routinely reduced down to "It's like Indiana Jones meets Rush Hour" logline summaries.

At least with Shadow Complex, though, Chair remained pretty upfront about how their game was a love letter to Super Metroid. I don't know if that "Zelda, only if Link grew balls" quote was directly from the developers or whether it was something IGN cooked up on its own, but if it came straight from the PR team that starts veering into "Game-X killer" territory, which is always a death knell for your game's success.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    To be fair pestilence is a really gross word.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    Lezard ValethLezard Valeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

From the Wiki page, Famine and Pestilence have been replace with 'Strife' and 'Fury'.

Lame.

Clearly the classic four horsemen weren't fighty enough for an action game.

Age rating?
    That explain why the four horsemen in Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne were named red rider, black rider, white rider and pale rider.

Lezard Valeth on
    firma1m.th.jpg
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ok this game looks pretty sweet.

Might have to pick it up, used of course.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Age rating?
    That explain why the four horsemen in Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne were named red rider, black rider, white rider and pale rider.

White, black, red and pale horse appearently were their original names given to them and War and Death and so on are the interpretations. So it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the rating. But I really have to wonder how they got away with this in Hexen 2.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    PhoneBonePhoneBone Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Although this game seems to be venturing a bit into 90's comics territory, I must admit Joe Mad's art is one of my guilty pleasures. I never got to play the Gamecube game he had a hand in (something to do with skittles), but I've been looking forward to this since the first gameplay vid I saw.

I love the Zelda formula, but would like to see it applied to a wildly different setting, with a completely different backstory and characters. So far, so good then.

I haven't seen any videos of this recently, but if memory serves me, it looked pretty slick (nice consistent artwork througout and clean animations). I'll wait for a couple of reviews to see if my gut instinct was right, of course, but if it turns out decent I'll definitely pick this up.

Edit:
    There's one thing they could do to get me more excited and that's make a Battle Chasers game instead. However, I don't really feel like waiting a decade for it.

PhoneBone on
    dansig.gif
  • Options
    IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I played this a bit at pax. Thought it was pretty fun in a God of War sort of way.

IvanIssacs on
  • Options
    Mr ObersmithMr Obersmith Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    PhoneBone wrote: »
    Although this game seems to be venturing a bit into 90's comics territory, I must admit Joe Mad's art is one of my guilty pleasures. I never got to play the Gamecube game he had a hand in (something to do with skittles), but I've been looking forward to this since the first gameplay vid I saw.

I love the Zelda formula, but would like to see it applied to a wildly different setting, with a completely different backstory and characters. So far, so good then.

I haven't seen any videos of this recently, but if memory serves me, it looked pretty slick (nice consistent artwork througout and clean animations). I'll wait for a couple of reviews to see if my gut instinct was right, of course, but if it turns out decent I'll definitely pick this up.

Edit:
    There's one thing they could do to get me more excited and that's make a Battle Chasers game instead. However, I don't really feel like waiting a decade for it.

Battle Chasers would only work if they made it episodic and spaced the releases 6-18 months apart.

Mr Obersmith on
    Battle.net - Obersmith#1709
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    guys, guys

if we don't stop having fun games will never be taken seriously

come on

stop enjoying these games

you're not supposed to like them

I have a feeling that lots of people will pass on this, it will be thoroughly enjoyed by those that do, and it will make a glorious return in the "Bad Games That You Loved" thread sometime in 2010/2011.

And then the world will really end in 2012 because of lolmayancalendar, and only those who played Darksiders will be spared.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    PhoneBone wrote: »

Edit:

Battle Chasers would only work if they made it episodic and spaced the releases 6-18 months apart.

And actually had an ending.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Looks promising.. I eagerly await the reviews.

Shurakai on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I would buy this. Having only played the opening chapter of the first God of War, and the preview of Dante's Inferno that was at GenCon in August, I haven't had my fill of button-masher-EXTREME-gorefest action games. Darksiders should be sufficient in that and if the game can deliver on some of that promised Zelda-esque game concept, that's a tip in the scales towards it as far I'm concerned.

Now, if you really wanted a game that's like Zelda, look here.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    DudBoltDudBolt Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I like the aesthetics. I really do.

DudBolt on
    Gather the faithful and prepose a toast. To an epoch of indifference. - In Flames: Ordinary Story
    http://beta.humugus.com/index.php/auth/register/inv/1966
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've been interested in this for months

I just hope when it comes it the gameplay feels good, because some of the fighting looks a little weak

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but the unreasonable amount of hate hulking ripped as hell huge weapon characters get seems to be the new form of insecurity. Oh no I can't like these things what if people think I'm overcompensating :<

Wait, what? People who don't like it actually do like it but are worried about people on the internet thinking they're insecure? So they lie and say it looks bad?

:?

Delzhand on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Fiaryn wrote: »

Wait, what? People who don't like it actually do like it but are worried about people on the internet thinking they're insecure? So they lie and say it looks bad?

:?

Who said anything about lying? It's very possible to genuinely dislike something/someone on a retarded basis.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787