As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Meals to cook for 30 people

NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey all. So I'm in a student org at university and we occasionally have dinner get togethers. Usually it is just simple stuff like tacos or sloppy joes but honestly after 3 years, I'm getting fairly bored with it. I'm a decent cook but I don't really have much experience cooking for that many people. Anyone know any good and cheap recipes that can add some variety?

Neaden on

• Options
    FattronicusFattronicus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't have any specific recipes but mostaccoli? Spaghetti? A big ass lasagna? Although after 3 years I'm more than positive some of these have already been touched on.

Fattronicus on
    76561197968482768.png
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You're going to have to define "cheap" for 30 people really.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What sort of vessels are you limited to using for cooking? The easiest thing will be something cold. Salads and sandwiches? next will probably be soups/stews. Chili and cornbread? Then the next ladder up will probably be baked casseroles, such as enchiladas or macaroni and cheeses. Stuff you wont have to portion out to serve. I doubt you'll want to grill or saute things.

I'd probably do http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insalata_Caprese with maybe some balsamic and then some bruchetta. Depending on the group it could be veg, like grilled vegetable, or something with some cured meat on it.

Then since those two things are delicious but probably wont fill up the regulars like their sloppy joes might, You could make some fettuccine and put whatever sauce is most desirable on it as a final filler.

Edit- As far as recipes, it will be hard for any of us to give you an accurate one because we don't know the guests. When I Think of people at a taco bar or a sloppy joe bar, I just think of a bunch of fatties at a cheap buffet muscling past each other to get to the brownies at the end. But your group may be awesome and only get a couple ounces of this and that. 30 crostini will be enough for one group of 30, while another group would be more in the park of 90-120.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ascannerlightlyascannerlightly Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    thesimpsons-hungryarethedamned_1162263247.jpg

you could brew a huge pot of clam chowder.

ascannerlightly on
    armedroberty.jpg
  • Options
    Red RoverRed Rover Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    chicken a la king... yum

Red Rover on
    This message will self-destruct in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1... !
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    There's a reason pasta dinners are popular. Meatballs are cheap and easy to make.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    chicken parm is decently easy to make... you can fry up coated chicken breast ahead of time, and then cover it in cheese and sauce and bake it... on a flat sheet you can probably fit 10 pieces? so 20 pieces of chicken in a single oven? (i'm guesstimating here)

cook a bunch of pasta and have another oven cooking up garlic bread and you should be OK

illig on
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sheperd's pie is easy and delicious.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    big lasagna is works. The key is to make it thick enough that people only need a small bit so you don't need such a huge dish

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    big lasagna is works. The key is to make it thick enough that people only need a small bit so you don't need such a huge dish

Lasagna, Caesar salad, garlic bread, seems like a good relatively cheap way to feed a big crew of folks.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Chicken Wings.

Lots of Chicken wings.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    CuddlyCuteKittenCuddlyCuteKitten Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've tried finding the recepies for french beef stew on the internet in english (Boeuf Bourgignon) because it's cheap, easy and incredibly good. Basically it's some beef in a pot with red wine and some carrots, mushrooms and other stuff.
    Serve with rice and a powerfull wine and it's AAAAA+.

Otherwise what I usually make is what we Swedes call a "flygande Jakob".
    This one is also incredibly easy!

4 persons
    1 kg of fried or grilled chicken (you can usually buy those ready made!)
    1 packet of bacon (150 grams)
    ~4 dl of cream (the fatter the better :P)
    ~1/2 dl of chilisauce
    2-3 bananas
    1/2-1 dl of peanuts.

Put oven on 225 degrees C.

Clean out the chicken and cut it into smaller parts. Fry bacon, let it rest on some paper to remove the fat. Mix the cream and the chilisauce together.

Put chicken and bacon in a glass pan or similiar which can manage in the oven. Put the cream/chili on to cover everything. Slice bananas and put them on top.

Put in oven for ~10 min. Put the peanuts on top. Place back in oven for another 10 min.

Serve with sallad and rice!

CuddlyCuteKitten on
    waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaow - Felicia, SPFT2:T
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Why not make a big pot of red beans and rice?

Jokerman on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    spaghetti!

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Half a pot of chili.
    make it super hot to prevent people from wanting more.
    then put out some nice bread to go with it

delphinus on