As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Modern Family: Best new sitcom? Emmy voters think so!

• DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    kfrooster wrote: »
    I wasn't really sure what to expect when I started watching the first episode. What really hooked it for me was the cool Dad.

Wasn't he the ass who owned the yacht in the Dawn of the Dead remake a few years back?

Indeed he was. He's a pretty funny guy.

Ohhh, thats where I know him from!

Also, I looked this up on Hulu after seeing this topic, and I have not been disappointed.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    No see, Cougar Town had cliches. It'll get past them because of Bill Lawrence. Also it was funnier than 80% of tv right now.
    But i have no doubt in my mind that Modern Family is the breakout of the season, quality-wise. I just hope that this is finally the amazing show that actually finds an audience and doesn't struggle like Arrested Development and like(last i remember hearing) Better off Ted

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Thane wrote: »
    No see, Cougar Town had cliches. It'll get past them because of Bill Lawrence. Also it was funnier than 80% of tv right now.
    But i have no doubt in my mind that Modern Family is the breakout of the season, quality-wise. I just hope that this is finally the amazing show that actually finds an audience and doesn't struggle like Arrested Development and like(last i remember hearing) Better off Ted

Better off Ted was a late season (almost summer) show, and it got its original order (or airing; can't remember if they were filmed already or not) boosted.

It did really well, and it's coming back, but not until mid season. It'll be back when LOST is big again.

HadjiQuest on
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

What Jason Bateman said on Inside the Actor's Studio is that Arrested Development was third on DVR recordings, so it had an audience that was just all the smart people who knew how to skip past ads; as far as advertisers were concerned it was doing poorly.

Cervetus on
    edited September 2009
    Well see, thats all i'm saying, the "smart" shows have a more rocky run most of the time. I just hope that Modern Family and Cougar Town hold the huge ratings of their pilots so we don't have to go through the will they won't they again, thats all

or at least for Modern Family as to not piss off the evident number of people who hate CT

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I like this show's characters; they're generally very relatable.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • HKPacman420HKPacman420 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This is intriguing - I love both The Office and Arrested Development, but was never a fan of Married with Children. Should I give this a shot?

HKPacman420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It's nothing like Married with Children, and closer to the first two, so I say yes.

Kyougu on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Cervetus wrote: »

What Jason Bateman said on Inside the Actor's Studio is that Arrested Development was third on DVR recordings, so it had an audience that was just all the smart people who knew how to skip past ads; as far as advertisers were concerned it was doing poorly.

I fucking hate that Nielsen asshole

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Though if you didn't like Married with Children I'd say theres a different shot you should be taking.

There weren't any laugh moments in this episode but it was enjoyable enough that I'm going to follow it for a while.

DarkWarrior on
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Watdched this last night off the DVR. Really liked it. Oddly, I never had any laugh out loud moments, but I still really enjoyed watching the show. I think it has that "heart" thing so much tv is missing these days.

Bolthorn on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    gay family just looked liked a lot of LOLGAYS

Casual Eddy on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    Watdched this last night off the DVR. Really liked it. Oddly, I never had any laugh out loud moments, but I still really enjoyed watching the show. I think it has that "heart" thing so much tv is missing these days.

That's weird, I'm watching it on Hulu and I've laughed out loud more in the first 15 minutes of this show then any other show this season.

This show is amazing.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I liked them.

"We need to stop having friends with names like Andre."

"Pepper, that's another one."

"Are you hearing these names?"

Hachface on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hachface wrote: »

I liked them.

I actually didn't get that joke.

Robos A Go Go on
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    A very solid start, I'd have rated the basic premise higher if the gay couple had had an older child. Gay couple with baby only really can address one side of "Gay parents" Gay couple with non gay 14 year old child can address all sides, I think there would be more opening for humor there. As it is the baby will just be pointless.

I really liked them all though, I was a bit surprised when they were all related! The scene with the gun was very funny. I hope however the boy in the large family isn't an idiot. Boys are almost always shown to be idiots on TV, and I'm bored of it.

Oh, and I enjoyed the subversion of the gay stereotype where the redheaded guy decided the mural was a bit too much. I hope over the series we see that he isn't just a stereotype. I'm also sick of the "gays are all like this" stereotype on TV.

And of course, the hispanic wife was cute ;) That didn't hurt.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
    edited September 2009

I liked them.

I actually didn't get that joke.

The redheaded guy was saying that their lives were a bit too 'gay' now that they were raising a baby, he was saying they needed a more diverse set of friends.

tbloxham on
    edited September 2009
    Kids in general can be a problem on tv shows.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited September 2009
    Kids in general can be a problem on tv shows.

True, but the majority of them seemed to be OK. It's a question of whether they are old enough to be amusing and independant. Young kids simply drain the humor from a situation since they require too much responsible care and attention, if the parents don't give them it they immediately become unsympathetic. A baby 'can' be OK, but it tends to simply become a plot device rather than a character.

tbloxham on
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Lemme see the little potsticker.
    D:

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I really enjoyed the first ep... has a very Arrested Development feel to it.

oldmanken on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Phil - "Lily. Isn't that going to be hard for her to say?"

Stiches.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited September 2009

Every character seemed like a stereotype: The overprotective mother, the retarded and annoying boy, the old man in a midlife crisis, the fiery latina, etc. I thought the show was funny, but it's not even pretending to be groundbreaking.

Cervetus on
  • InHumanInHuman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    oldmanken wrote: »
    I really enjoyed the first ep... has a very Arrested Development feel to it.

For once, when someone compares a comedy to AD, I have to step aside and agree.

This is THAT good.

InHuman on
  • ThaumaturgistThaumaturgist Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I really like this show.

this makes me like it even more.

Thaumaturgist on
    XBL: Abiff PSN: Thaumaturgist
    http://www.suboptimist.com
  • nervenerve Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I watched this last night on Hulu and thought it was awful. I kind of half smiled at the pot sticker joke.

nerve on
  • HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Oh god this show is good.

"You be the wind in his back, not the spit in his face."
    "...What?"

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
    edited September 2009
    I really like this show.

this makes me like it even more.

Oh no, that couple was supposed to be homosexual? I have to go apologize to Jesus for watching this show!

Edit: BEST COMMENT.
    Best new comedy? It's no wonder Americans are getting dumber by the minute. I haven't watched anything but news for years. Why sit on the couch and fill my head full of meaningless nonsense. I have better things to do.

Cervetus on
    edited September 2009
    man i read that, and until like the 4th comment couldn't tell if they were joking or not

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, I'm sure that reading news articles about television shows as opposed to actually watching tv is really bolstering your intelligence.

Robos A Go Go on
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This has written "WIN" all over it ... that "Circle of life" thing was hilarious and its nice to see Ed O'Neil back.

The "cool" dad on the other hand makes me wanna punch him in the privates ... hard ... and repeatedly.

TheBigEasy on
  • enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ed O'Neill: good.
    Circle of Life: great.
    BB wielding dad: cringe inducing.

I was quietly hoping for Married with Children II, but will accept this.

enc0re on
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    This has written "WIN" all over it ... that "Circle of life" thing was hilarious and its nice to see Ed O'Neil back.

The "cool" dad on the other hand makes me wanna punch him in the privates ... hard ... and repeatedly.

If they tone down the cool dad a little bit he could be great. A little restraint is all the writers need.

Hachface on
    edited September 2009
    TheBigEasy wrote: »

If they tone down the cool dad a little bit he could be great. A little restraint is all the writers need.

A little restraint is often something that writers all are in dire need of!

tbloxham on
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I thought 'cool dad' was MEANT to be cringe inducing?

Magus` on
    edited September 2009
    Magus` wrote: »

Totally, but there has to be more to him than this "hip" facade, and until we see that it's hard to consider him to be more than a thinly characterized oaf.

Robos A Go Go on
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    "Honey, just turn it off"

"It's who I AM"

"I meant the music"

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Of course. The trick is to have be cringe inducing for the sake of funny, not for it's own sake. If you overdo it, it's just bad. Fine line and all that.

enc0re on
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    enc0re wrote: »

Of course. The trick is to have be cringe inducing for the sake of funny, not for it's own sake. If you overdo it, it's just bad. Fine line and all that.

Yeapp ... The whole gun thingy - hilarious. Him trying to be hip and "what up dog" to the boyfriend of his daughter - way too much.

TheBigEasy on
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I liked all the characters.

Even annoying Dad.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490