Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Cloudy [Chat] Calculator

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I have very little faith left in the police. To the point that I will assume any police officer I encounter is intent on actively harming me.

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Abdhyius wrote: »

I'm just saying the police are actually trying in theory to minimize harm.

Substantiate your claim.

They're using batons instead of shotguns

They can't get away with shotguns.

sig.gif
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    our military police does riot training

I have no idea why, because first of all I'm not really sure if it's legal to employ the armed forces against our own citizens, and second of all, because it'd be fucking lunacy

The tactic was basically drop a shitload of CS gas, fix bayonets, hold your breath and close your eyes, and keep marching forward no matter what your bayonet gets caught on

ftOqU21.png
    edited September 2009

I'm just saying the police are actually trying in theory to minimize harm.

Substantiate your claim.

They're using batons instead of shotguns

They can't get away with shotguns.

...because in theory they're supposed to not harm people more than necessary.

ftOqU21.png
    edited September 2009

I have no idea why, because first of all I'm not really sure if it's legal to employ the armed forces against our own citizens, and second of all, because it'd be fucking lunacy

The tactic was basically drop a shitload of CS gas, fix bayonets, hold your breath and close your eyes, and keep marching forward no matter what your bayonet gets caught on

D: D: D:

Maybe riots in foreign countries, a la Rules of Engagement?

edit: Also I am apparently an idiot. I didn't notice the 'in theory' bit. Carry on!:oops:

sig.gif
    edited September 2009

D: D: D:

Maybe riots in foreign countries, a la Rules of Engagement?

Maybe so. Still, a pretty fucking bad idea.

ftOqU21.png
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck ill-ass lemony snicket Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Gim wrote: »
    time for a shower?

*activates webcam*

HEDGEHOGS GONE WILD

$9.99/mo

and

you'll receive this copy of Young Girls Making Poor Decisions absolutely free!

edited September 2009
    All I'm saying is that the police, even in the US, isn't the geheime staatspolizei and have limits as to what they're allowed to do

And not all of them are schweine to be tossed firebombs and rocks at as much as possible

ftOqU21.png
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS
    edited September 2009
    All I'm saying is that the police, even in the US, isn't the geheime staatspolizei and have limits as to what they're allowed to do

And not all of them are schweine to be tossed firebombs and rocks at as much as possible

have you read the sheriff joe thread

edited September 2009

Yeah, again, I misread the post. I agree, and sorry!

edit: Sherrif Joe should have rocks tossed at him.

sig.gif
    edited September 2009
    Rust wrote: »

gimme the cliff notes version

ftOqU21.png
  • ElldrenElldren 3067-6294-6208Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sheriff Joe is horrible.

He is every cowboy cop boss hogg stereotype given flesh, not to mention power hungry and corrupt.

edited September 2009

While this may be true, four out of the five interactions I've ever had with the Police in the UK involved me being detained, searched, and/or threatened with violence. I'm just going with the established pattern here.

• NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009

Imagine, the worst, most corrupt, most hick-esque, most ugly, most authoritarian, most stereotypical police sheriff.

THis is Sheriff Joe.

@nealcm @faynor
    nerdgasmic.gif1420 6068 6113 - XBL Atomoclassic
    edited September 2009

it doesn't really contradict your point but it basically describes how the authorities in arizona prey on anti-immigrant sentiment to turn the state into a banana republic

long story short they're not prosecuted in part because they've got enough ordnance to start a small-scale war, their boss sheriff joe owns a tank

the united states has a social environment that makes those situations a matter of time rather than a disturbing exception to the rule

edited September 2009
    japan wrote: »

While this may be true, four out of the five interactions I've ever had with the Police in the UK involved me being detained, searched, and/or threatened with violence. I'm just going with the established pattern here.

Yeah then you're probably some kind of gay desperado-addict

ftOqU21.png
    edited September 2009

from wikipedia:
    Spoiler:

sig.gif
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What's the best deal for smartphones? Like, if I were to get a Pre or Android phone or what have you which network rapes my wallet the least?

tea-1.jpg
    edited September 2009
    But since US law enforcement isn't the Gestapo this sheriff joe isn't a model officer and you should merely have him shot

ftOqU21.png
    edited September 2009
    japan wrote: »

Yeah then you're probably some kind of gay desperado-addict

The four were me being "randomly" stopped under sweeping powers granted to Strathclyde Police to deal with knife crime. The fifth was some polisman at my door because my next door neighbour's car got broken into.

edited September 2009
    But since US law enforcement isn't the Gestapo this sheriff joe isn't a model officer and you should merely have him shot

I like the cut of your jib.

sig.gif
    edited September 2009

these days most u.s. cops dream of being able to get away with shit that easily

edited September 2009
    I'm serious, somebody shoot this guy

it's clearly the easiest way to solve this problem

ftOqU21.png
    edited September 2009
    Not the best way

The best way would for him to be tried.

• SarksusSarksus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    What's the best deal for smartphones? Like, if I were to get a Pre or Android phone or what have you which network rapes my wallet the least?

Sprint is a little cheaper than AT&T. $5-10 a month.

edited September 2009
    Am I a bad person for the small amount of sadistic joy I get from news of globalization protesters being brutalized?

edited September 2009
    Elldren wrote: »
    Am I a bad person for the small amount of sadistic joy I get from news of globalization protesters being brutalized?

Probably.

edited September 2009

Yes.

edited September 2009
    Not the best way

but that's expensive and takes a looong time

this is more cost and time effective

ftOqU21.png
    edited September 2009
    Sarksus wrote: »

Sprint appeared to be closer to $70 or $100 dollars, not $5.

tea-1.jpg
    edited September 2009

Nah.

ftOqU21.png
    edited September 2009
    Not the best way

So you're saying that the US criminal justice system should operate like the Gestapo?

tea-1.jpg
    edited September 2009
    Not the best way

So you're saying that the US criminal justice system should operate like the Gestapo?

:lol:

sig.gif
    edited September 2009

We're all bad people.

tea-1.jpg
    edited September 2009
    Not the best way

Only against its own officials.

ftOqU21.png
    edited September 2009
    Not the best way

Only against its own officials.

you should probably cool your jets, the amount of forced edginess in this thread is reaching critical mass

edited September 2009

Sprint appeared to be closer to $70 or $100 dollars, not $5.

It's $5-10 cheaper a month than AT&T.

edited September 2009

Probably.

I can live with being a little bad, I suppose.

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Not the best way

The best way would for him to be tortured.

RichyFlag.gifsig.gif
    edited September 2009
    Richy wrote: »
    Not the best way

The best way would for him to be tortured.

:lol:

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.