As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Computer Question

silence1186silence1186 Character shields down!As a wingmanRegistered User regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Hello H/A,

I've recently purchased a new computer, and one of the programs on the new computer allows me to transfer files and settings from an old computer to a new computer. Now, this is something I'd like to do, as it would save me many hours and much grief. As to the specifics (let me know if this isn't enough)

New computer: Asus laptop with Windows Vista (though getting Win 7 in a month, ideally).
Old Computer: IBM laptop with Windows XP.

I need to get the Windows File Transfer program onto my old laptop somehow, and then set up a LAN between the two computers so I can move the desired files.

Does anyone have any idea how to do this? Just a shot in the dark.

Much obliged.

silence1186 on

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    As someone who has used the windows file transfer wizard on several occasions

Let me just say this, Don't use it.

Just drag and drop the shit over your network from one drive to the other and let it run over night.

Buttcleft on
  • Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hello H/A,

I've recently purchased a new computer, and one of the programs on the new computer allows me to transfer files and settings from an old computer to a new computer. Now, this is something I'd like to do, as it would save me many hours and much grief. As to the specifics (let me know if this isn't enough)

New computer: Asus laptop with Windows Vista (though getting Win 7 in a month, ideally).
    Old Computer: IBM laptop with Windows XP.

I need to get the Windows File Transfer program onto my old laptop somehow, and then set up a LAN between the two computers so I can move the desired files.

Does anyone have any idea how to do this? Just a shot in the dark.

Much obliged.

You need a crossover cable. Basically, if you look at your standard interweb cable (Cat 5e or whatever) closely, you'll see several color coded wires in the connectors. A crossover changes that pattern allowing you to connect one machine to the other. It's magic!

If you're mildly skilled with hand tools and have some connectors (check radio shack) you can do it yourself. Otherwise, you have to pony up the ridiculous price of a cable.

Or you could do the network drive think, which I do not recommend.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    How much stuff do you need to move?

You're gonna find that simply copying your old programs and transferring them into your new computer isnt exactly going to work well, especially with the OS difference.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Things I'd like to move:
    WoW addons and settings (WTF folder etc.)
    All my itunes music
    all the servers I have saved in ventrilo.

I also don't know how to set up a network, if that's relevant to people.

silence1186 on
  • Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

Removable (or USB) hard drive.

Iceman.USAF on
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    There's a very budget way to move a lot of data if you can get both machines on the interwebz.

Set up two AIM accounts and send a folder filled with your filey goodness.

Deebaser on
  • TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Removable (or USB) hard drive.

This. you can get a 4g thumbdrive for less than $15 at best buy which is on the expensive side. Plus they come in handy later on.

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Things I'd like to move:
    WoW addons and settings (WTF folder etc.)
    All my itunes music
    all the servers I have saved in ventrilo.

add-ons for WoW and iTunes you can just drag and drop

I'm not sure how vent favorites are saved, but I can assure you the F&S transfer wizard won't move them over.

You can use the AIM tactic mentioned, set up a home network with a router or switch, or you can get or make a crossover cable and just plug one ethernet port into the other, which will create a direct link between the two, which will go a lot faster than the AIM transfer.

pulling the hard drive from the old computer and attaching it directly to the new one is probably the simplest solution.

MrMonroe on
  • ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, just get a usb thumbdrive for moving the WoW addon folders and the music. By far the simplest way to do it.

For ventrilo, just write down the server info, or type it into a text file and stick it on the thumb drive.

Since the new computer is a laptop, attaching your old harddrive directly would involve some sort of USB enclosure.

But really, just get a USB drive with a few gig capacity, and drag everything you want to move onto it.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I would just get both laptops on the network and share & transfer the folders that way. Failing that, a USB / hard drive adapter will run you about $20 and is a real godsend sometimes if you do any kind of IT work. Or you could just get an 8GB flash drive from Newegg for $15 or so, which would probably be the simplest way depending on how large your music collection is.

TL DR on
    edited September 2009
    I would just get both laptops on the network and share & transfer the folders that way.

I dont like to assume this is as simple for everyone as it really ought to be. Thumbdrives are pretty much foolproof.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Erandus wrote: »
    I would just get both laptops on the network and share & transfer the folders that way.

I dont like to assume this is as simple for everyone as it really ought to be. Thumbdrives are pretty much foolproof.

I'm sorry if this wasn't made clear, but I have no idea about how to set up a network, so part of my question was, if a network is the best way to move files, how do I set up said network (and then use it to move files).

silence1186 on
    edited September 2009
    Thumbdrive. Much more simple. Don't bother with the networking and folder sharing. Plug in a USB drive, copy/paste files to it, done.

Plus they're really handy to have around in general.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah I had to do a move from my old computer to my new, moving pretty much what you want to move. I just used a thumbdrive.

Since you're unsure about setting up a network, I'd just go with the thumbdrive. I'm also a big fan of burning MP3s onto DVDs for backup purposes.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Network sharing is something that computer users should know how to do though, and it's essentially free. Just edit the properties of your iTunes and other folders to make them shared, set or remove applicable passwords, and try to access them from the other laptop. Here is some more info. It really isn't as hard as it sounds.

TL DR on
    edited September 2009
    Thanks a lot for all your advice, I'm picking up a thumb drive tonight.

silence1186 on