As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PA Meetup [UK] - Birmingham, October 24th and 25th 2009. We Survived!

• Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Doesn't Brum have a massive gaming complex\something within the city? I'm sure I read about it

EDIT: The company went into administration, shame, it looked pretty cool
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_Sektor

Mr Bubbles on
  • KagliciousKaglicious Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Mr Bubbles wrote: »
    Doesn't Brum have a massive gaming complex\something within the city? I'm sure I read about it

EDIT: The company went into administration, shame, it looked pretty cool
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_Sektor

Omega Sektor was pretty cool but every time I popped up to brum to go there it was always quite empty. A shame really.

Kaglicious on
  • ColdredColdred Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm 82% positive I should be able to make the 24th. I'm pretty much happy doing anything, film, real ales, games, etc. (as long as there's no heavy labour involved).

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg
  • FloofyFloofy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm from Birmingham, I can reccomend a couple of places you might want to check out- Bacchus in particular is a really fantastic pub/resteraunt/bar right in the city centre. It's underground beneath the burlington hotel by New Street station, converted into a bunch of themed rooms. Has some really nice food (think high-quality classic British stuff), not many people find it because of how hidden away it is, and I think they hire out rooms for functions, as well. Might be worth a look at. Sea Life Centre is really overpriced for what it is- same for cadbury's world really. The art galleries are pretty good though, the one by the town hall has some amazing pre-raphalite pieces. There's an Imax at Millenium Point as well, though I've not been there myself. If I think up anything else I'll put it up.

Floofy on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So the 24th has a bit of support - shall we lock that in?

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    yeah, I think the 24th seems ok for all.

So, Sat 24th and Sun 25th October there will be stuff in Birmingham. Woohoo!

BobCesca on
    edited September 2009
    Hurrah. Now I finally have a reason to visit Birmingham

Kalkino on
    edited September 2009
    OP kinda updated.

I shall continue to work out what can be done essentially in the city centre (Cesca no walk so well), and probably put the Barber Institute and Nature Centre on hold as they would involve additional public transport (probably the bus).

BobCesca on
  • HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Floofy wrote: »
    I'm from Birmingham, I can reccomend a couple of places you might want to check out- Bacchus in particular is a really fantastic pub/resteraunt/bar right in the city centre. It's underground beneath the burlington hotel by New Street station, converted into a bunch of themed rooms. Has some really nice food (think high-quality classic British stuff), not many people find it because of how hidden away it is, and I think they hire out rooms for functions, as well. Might be worth a look at.

+1 on Bacchus, it is really is as fantastic as floofy says.

HerrCron on
    sig.gif
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2009
    Has some really nice food (think high-quality classic British stuff)

Does not compute. D:

Organichu on
    edited September 2009
    Organichu wrote: »
    Has some really nice food (think high-quality classic British stuff)

Does not compute. D:

Then how do you explain this, good sir?

princecharles_080502.jpg

Kalkino on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2009
    Well met, sir.

Organichu on
    edited September 2009
    So is this still happening? I need to start investigating $$ of booking

Kalkino on
  • ColdredColdred Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well, I'm pretty sure I can go. Although I am flying out to the US on the day after probably so will not be up for getting horribly drunk.

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg
    edited September 2009
    I am actually a little pumped about visiting England's sort of Second City

Kalkino on
    edited September 2009
    as far as me and japan are concerned, we're still up for this.

I was going to ask Elki to sticky this next week so we can plan stuff without having to search through the pages for the thread.

If people are coming, booking the train now is probably a good idea so that you can get the cheap advance tickets.

BobCesca on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm still coming. I might well have to leave earlyish on the Sunday, as I may have a thingy-wotsit to sort out, but I'm fairly certain that at least one night of drunk will be in the offing. I'm pretty close by as well, so I might drive.

Bogart on
    edited September 2009
    Ok, so it seems like we are still a go. Hurrah!

Kalkino on
    edited September 2009
    We were thinking it would essentially be a lunchtime-lunchtime thing (assuming people have jobs and stuff on Monday so wouldn't want to get home too late).

I'm still thinking of things and trying to come up with as many choices of stuff to do as possible.

BobCesca on
    edited September 2009
    BobCesca wrote: »
    We were thinking it would essentially be a lunchtime-lunchtime thing (assuming people have jobs and stuff on Monday so wouldn't want to get home too late).

I'm still thinking of things and trying to come up with as many choices of stuff to do as possible.

Well, is there a nearby petting zoo?

Kalkino on
  • JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Put me down as a maybe, my girlfriend might be down that week, but if not then I may be going to see one of my friends who lives in Solihull around that time.

Johannen on
  • freelancerbobfreelancerbob UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Huh.

A Penny Arcade Meetup.

In Birmingham, no less, the home of my birth, and as dear to me as (insert fictional city of choice) is to it's inhabitants. A city in which I not only work every day, but regularly get somewhat drunk in, and generally know and love like a warm, friendly, but slightly stupid and poorly smelling Canine of some sort.

I'd count myself in if

A) I remember (I'm somewhat infrequent in my forumgoing)
    B) I'm actually available. Time constraints such as a girlfriend, Pnp RPGs, WOW raids, and a wedding to attend all loom on my horizon, leaving hardly any time for quality lounging-around-time, much less boozing it up with you fine folks.

So put me down as tentative, and if I don't make it, do check out the free museum, the lovely canal walks, and The Flapper, my personal favourite pub.

Broad Street is both Noisome(in all senses of the word) and Fun, on a Saturday Evening especially. It may also be a wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Edit: Those seeking a LAN venue are well advised to check out the GGA lan tucked away near the Law Courts. A quality den of iniquity and fragging, it is home away from home for a large number of itinerant computer gamers of all sorts, and thus, haven for our kind. http://www.globalgaming.co.uk/home.htm

Edit the second: Given I actually know the darn city, it would be somewhat remiss of me not to offer assitance of various forms in making this meeting a success, thusly, feel free to contact me at freelancer.bob@gmail.com for advice and guidance regarding birmingham and it's denizens or any other business.

freelancerbob on
    What is this thing that is happening here.
  • IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'd love to come but I don't have the money for the train to birmingham, maybe next time if you get one in Norwich :D

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
    edited September 2009
    freelancerbob: I've organised this but really know nothing about Birmingham, despite having lived here for a year now.

If you've got any suggestions for some good restaurants/pubs, it'd be really helpful (must be disabled access or not very many stairs, though)

BobCesca on
    edited September 2009
    A lot of people are fond of the burger bar that's on the canal just off broad street, and I am one of those people. My girlfriend particularly reccomends the samosa burger, and I would suggest you steer clear of the homemade coleslaw.

Edit: if there's a lot of you, make a reservation.

freelancerbob on
    edited September 2009
    A lot of people are fond of the burger bar that's on the canal just off broad street, and I am one of those people. My girlfriend particularly reccomends the samosa burger, and I would suggest you steer clear of the homemade coleslaw.

Edit: if there's a lot of you, make a reservation.

Fantastic, I will check it out (Is it the "Handmade Burger Co.? I've been recommended that by others).

I was planning on making a reservation for somewhere. Saturday night + many people does not equal getting a table.

BobCesca on
    edited September 2009
    Yeah that's probably the one.

I mean it ain't all hyper fancy or nothing, but it's good eats and I ain't seen too many places doing that kinda variety in burger options much.

freelancerbob on
    edited September 2009
    Do not at any point even think of going to Gatecrasher, this anti-16-year-olds-clubbing mindset will increase chances of people attending I think.

Johannen on
    edited September 2009
    Me and clubs do not mix well, so this is not a strong possibility.

General thoughts are museums and galleries and stuff during the afternoon, food somewhere and then descending on a pub for teh drinking.

BobCesca on
    edited September 2009
    Clubbing? Looking at the possible attendees I find this an unlikely prospect.

Bogart on
    edited September 2009
    Good, I am a great disliker of clubbing, an ideal that kicked in very strongly as I ended out my years as a 21 year old.

Johannen on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've not been to a nightclub for about two years. I'm hip and groovy.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    edited September 2009
    Untza untza untza untza untza

Birmingham is actually full of nightclubs

It's like, a party capital or something.

My Gf's sister insisted we go to Flares, an 80's style nightclub, for new years eve one time. Short story: it sucked.

freelancerbob on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Flares is a chain. It's also hell.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    edited September 2009
    Flares is an appalling den of grotesque harpies and barely-sentient apes.

Bogart on
    edited September 2009
    I haven't been clubbing in so long, I don't even know what this "Flares" thing is.

BobCesca on
    edited September 2009
    I would prefer to kick about in a pub at night, if possible

Kalkino on
    edited September 2009
    I believe this is rather the plan, and one I fully endorse:D

There's tonnes of great pubs in birmingham, and I don't know any but the weatherspoons, aussie bar and the Flapper.

I'd recomend the aussie bar only it's on broad street and you're here on a saturday night.

freelancerbob on
    edited September 2009

There's tonnes of great pubs in birmingham, and I don't know any but the weatherspoons, aussie bar and the Flapper.

I'd recomend the aussie bar only it's on broad street and you're here on a saturday night.

See as a Kiwi this has me tempted and repelled. I have a theory that Australian themed bars are the next Irish Pub/Bar fad and that soon every city will have such a bar, to offer an alternative to Old Mother Murphy's Authentic Irish Pub/Bar and Dance Bar

Kalkino on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Kalkino wrote: »

See as a Kiwi this has me tempted and repelled. I have a theory that Australian themed bars are the next Irish Pub/Bar fad and that soon every city will have such a bar, to offer an alternative to Old Mother Murphy's Authentic Irish Pub/Bar and Dance Bar

I thought every city did have an Aussie theme bar. I know there were a couple back home, and I fuzzily remember one in Newquay.

Are we talking about Bushwhackers, incidentally? I have not heard positive things.

japan on