As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The painfully bad puns thread : that's not punny

Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4toArlington, VARegistered User regular
edited October 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
You know when you make a pun, and then you feel a clench in your gut? Yeah, that's your body reacting, telling you why the fuck did you do that. Or maybe that's just because my friend and I would lash out violently at each other when we made puns. But you get what I'm talking about. We're talking going to the bottom of the barrel, and then scraping the shit out of that.

I'll start us off with the most painful pun I've participated in, in recent times-

"Man, I was meta before I knew what meta was. And then after I knew what meta was, I continued to be that, but-"
-Oh god, it's like a metapocalypse

Ethan Smith on

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You know when you make a pun, and then you feel a clench in your gut?

Can't say that I do. In fact, I thrive on puns. Unfortunately, I do so to such a degree that I rarely remember them for very long after. It's just part of conversation for me.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I only like puns when there's a train of puns in a thread. There was one on corn-related puns a while back that was truly epic.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I only like puns when there's a train of puns in a thread. There was one on corn-related puns a while back that was truly epic.
    Oh yeah, pun quote trees in [chat] are usually hilarious. I love them, and try to partake when I can.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »

Those are rare moments.

Henroid on
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't think this is going to work. It has to be more natural, forced puns just aren't that punny.

Dman on
  • Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    this thread reminds me of: http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=puns
    its funny

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I remember reading about a study done a while back, though I don't remember the exact details. They were trying to find out if people found puns to be funny by reading ten puns to subjects and seeing if they laughed. Unfortunately, no pun in ten did.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Puns tend to commas a result of natural, ordinary conversation. Trying to force them out is like continuing to tell a bad joke when half the audience has their face planted firmly in their palm.

MKR on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Greg USN wrote: »
    this thread reminds me of: http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=puns
    its funny
    That guy has anger management issues.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    an_alt wrote: »
    I remember reading about a study done a while back, though I don't remember the exact details. They were trying to find out if people found puns to be funny by reading ten puns to subjects and seeing if they laughed. Unfortunately, no pun in ten did.

Almost missed it, but, yes.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    One of my favorite jokes is:

A vulture boards a plane carrying two dead raccoons. The flight attendant stops him and says, "I'm sorry sir, but you're only allowed one carrion."

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    MKR wrote: »
    Puns tend to commas a result of natural, ordinary conversation. Trying to force them out is like continuing to tell a bad joke when half the audience has their face planted firmly in their palm.

Get off the stage!

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    TheMarshalTheMarshal Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    One of my fiance's favorites:

So a piece of string walks into a bar.
    Bartender says "We don't serve your kind in here!"
    The string get upset and leaves.

The string is so upset at the bartender that he starts pulling at his ends until they start coming undone. He's so angry that he begins to bunch up and gets all twisted and contorted.

Later that night, the string walks back into the bar.
    Bartender says "Didn't you hear me the last time? We don't serve string in here!"

The string says:
    I'm a frayed knot.

TheMarshal on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    nosnibornosnibor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Feral wrote: »

So is it a rule that the last person on a quote tree gets infracted? I suppose it's better than losing a limb.

nosnibor on
    When you're a spy, it's a good idea to give away your trade secrets in a voiceover on a TV show.
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Puns suck. You're threading on thin ice here.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    nosnibor wrote: »

So is it a rule that the last person on a quote tree gets infracted? I suppose it's better than losing a limb.

No, we both got infracted.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    that tree was totally worth it feral

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

No, we both got infracted.

For punitive damage.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    puns are awful

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Courtesy of the Endinburgh Frring Festival:

"Hedgehogs - Why not share the hedge?"

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Terry Pratchett is great at puns

like when he refers to the Ramkins as more highly-bred than a hilltop bakery

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I recall one argument in which I shared my belief that puns are the worst form of comedy and everyone thought I was being elitist and highbrow

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Terry Pratchett is great at puns

like when he refers to the Ramkins as more highly-bred than a hilltop bakery

The British are masters of the pun, and Prachett is a master amongst masters.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I recall one argument in which I shared my belief that puns are the worst form of comedy and everyone thought I was being elitist and highbrow
    Don't flatter yourself. We thought you were stupid.

Bama on
  • Options
    Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Bama wrote: »
    Don't flatter yourself. We thought you were stupid.

I personally wanted to punch him in the face after that.

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Maybe he was talking about sausage puns. Because those really are the wurst.

nosnibor on
    When you're a spy, it's a good idea to give away your trade secrets in a voiceover on a TV show.
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

ugh. I'm not responsible for what this unleashes.

You brat this upon yourself

Greeper on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    anyone who hates puns is lame
    stay cool, bird boy

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Greeper wrote: »

This is going to be fun. Don't be such a weenie.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    haha awesome ya'll still remember!

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

you know who's a weenie. The baseball player who bun'ts

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

I'm just glad one of us mustard up the courage to get it going.

nosnibor on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Who is that? I'd love to meat him.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    edited September 2009

He's probably afraid his puns won't cut the mustard and he'll find himself in a pickle and have to spend the entire thread playing ketchup.

Feral on

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

these are just getting retarded, now we have to play ketchup
    dijons better be get funny guys

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2009
    My brother thinks puns are the highlight of joking. I used to sit and count how many he tried to use. One conversation he got up to ten trying to get a laugh. No pun in ten did.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

He's probably afraid his puns won't cut the mustard and he'll find himself in a pickle and have to spend the entire thread playing ketchup.

I don't relish the idea of competing with your pun skill. I fear my meager attempts will be met with a chili reception.

nosnibor on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Aroduc wrote: »
    My brother thinks puns are the highlight of joking. I used to sit and count how many he tried to use. One conversation he got up to ten trying to get a laugh. No pun in ten did.
    an_alt wrote: »

D:

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    puns don't really make people laugh. They're more of a "Oh right yep I guess those two words are similar let me smile and nod a bit"

Casual Eddy on