As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So I just got a used Xbox 1...

Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
And I have a few questions.

1) Is there any way, short of opening the system up and taking the hard drive out, that I can see how big it is? The system screen just says "50000+ blocks", which doesn't help me a whole bunch.
2) Is there any way to format the hard drive, or simply delete all of the contents at once? The previous owner left behind a lot of savegames.
3) Are Xbox 1 memory cards still being sold in retail stores? I'd like to have one for backup purposes.
4) What's a good wireless controller for the Xbox?
5) Is there any reason I should bother with Xbox Live if I'm not going to play multiplayer games? (It's kind of a hassle for me to hook it up to my network, so I'm not figuring on doing it right now.)

...also, if anyone has any game suggestions, I'm open to most anything but FPSes. (All I have for it right now is Castlevania: Curse of Darkness, Silent Hill 2, and Dai Senryaku VII.)

sig.gif
Target Practice on

• Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    the hard drive is 6gigs iirc.

the games I recomend depends on what other consoles you own. For example, I would highly recomend PoP - sands of time/the two thrones, but if you have either of the other consoles they were on, you probably allready have them.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    LewieP wrote: »

the games I recomend depends on what other consoles you own. For example, I would highly recomend PoP - sands of time/the two thrones, but if you have either of the other consoles they were on, you probably allready have them.

Okay, here's the thing: I'm relatively sure people can put their own hard drives in.

Also, 6 GB sounds rather low.

And I have a PS2 and GameCube already, so I'm mostly looking for Xbox exclusives, or Xbox/PC exclusives.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    trust me, the 6 gigs is enough. I have like, 40, 50 saves at least, still over 50,000 blocks. You will not run out of memory.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Senor Fish wrote: »
    trust me, the 6 gigs is enough. I have like, 40, 50 saves at least, still over 50,000 blocks. You will not run out of memory.

I didn't mean it that way. I meant that it sounded like an awfully small hard drive for Microsoft to put in.

Then again, it was 2001.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    QuintileQuintile Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Okay, here's the thing: I'm relatively sure people can put their own hard drives in.

I'm 99% certain that the only way to put in your own hard drive is if you hack and/or use a mod chip. The hard drive is paired to the motherboard and only work together. I recently discovered this when my Xbox's motherboard died and I lost all my save files because you can't just put in the old hard drive with the new motherboard without modding the box.

Also, when you consider how small save files are, and how small PS2/GCN memory cards are, 6 GB for save files is giant.

Quintile on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Morrowind.
    Panzer Dragoon Orta.

I'd like to say HL2 or Call of Cthuhlu or Thief, but uh yeah.

Wait, you can play Thief in 3rd person. Maybe you'd like it.

I had a box and never bothered with Live, myself.

august on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Phantom Dust and Otogi 1 and 2. PD is essentially a Card Battle game in realtime with an Akira sort of feel. Otogi 1 + 2 are action games set in a dark version of japanese mythology. I'd recommend Otogi 2 over 1 because of gameplay refinements and less re-used levels, though there's an excellent boss battle in Otogi 1.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Quintile wrote: »

I'm 99% certain that the only way to put in your own hard drive is if you hack and/or use a mod chip. The hard drive is paired to the motherboard and only work together. I recently discovered this when my Xbox's motherboard died and I lost all my save files because you can't just put in the old hard drive with the new motherboard without modding the box.

Also, when you consider how small save files are, and how small PS2/GCN memory cards are, 6 GB for save files is giant.
    Really? I thought it was like the PS2, where you could just put in any old IDE hard drive.

So basically, if it dies on me, I'm fucked? Whose brilliant idea was that?

Renzo: I was under the impression Phantom Dust was essentially multiplayer-only.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Even though there are only a few posts how has no one suggested Ninja Gaiden Black and KoToR(2)?

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Quintile wrote: »

Really? I thought it was like the PS2, where you could just put in any old IDE hard drive.

Renzo: I was under the impression Phantom Dust was essentially multiplayer-only.

Phantom Dust works well as a single player game.

Also, it's online mode has pretty much dried up anyway... but it -can- be played 2 player splitscreen.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

It has a single-player game that I spent almost 50 hours on.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    If you get Morrowind make sure you get the Game of the Year one with the expansion packs. Because there's one that says game of the year just because hey, let's reissue the game, and there's one with the expansion packs. It will say so on the back of the box.

august on
  • Options
    LotharsLothars Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yes to put another hard drive in you have to put a modchip in or use software modding

I plan to do that soon though especially since I barely use my regular xbox anymore.

Lothars on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Jade Empire was good. Not Bioware's best but very good. Also try out Burnout 3 and Top Spin Tennis.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    bigbhbigbh Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Earlier Xboxes use a 8gig hard drive, and later ones used a hard drive about 10 gigs, but it's got just under 2 gigs unpartitioned so it works basically the same as the smaller drives. The amount of space on there partitioned for your game saves is 4895 MB, it's a fair bit. Even if you were to throw a larger hard drive into your Xbox the partition which is used for game saves (and music, and downloaded content) has to be 4895 MB to work anyways. I wouldn't worry too much about filling the thing up unless you put your CD collection on it.

bigbh on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oddworld Stranger is one of those great under-appreciated games, even here. Also, Riddick is awesome, if not exclusive.

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Darlan wrote: »
    Oddworld Stranger is one of those great under-appreciated games, even here. Also, Riddick is awesome, if not exclusive.

Yeah, I'll second these.

Renzo on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Just to clarify some:
    And I have a few questions.

1) Is there any way, short of opening the system up and taking the hard drive out, that I can see how big it is? The system screen just says "50000+ blocks", which doesn't help me a whole bunch.
    Senor Fish wrote: »

I didn't mean it that way. I meant that it sounded like an awfully small hard drive for Microsoft to put in.

Then again, it was 2001.
    LewieP wrote: »

And I have a PS2 and GameCube already, so I'm mostly looking for Xbox exclusives, or Xbox/PC exclusives.

You cannot replace the hard drive without a modchip. It's locked to the hardware.

It is around 8 gigs. 100 mb is partitioned to the operating system, 3x750 is partitioned for game caches. That leaves you with around 5gb for the game saves, or nearly 300,000 blocks.

Considering the average game save is around 50 blocks, many are as low as 10-15 blocks, and they max out at 200, as Senor Fish said... and as long as you don't plan on modding the box, which would allow you to replace the hard drive anyways, trust me, it's MORE than enough

8 gigs may sound low for a PC, but remember, this ISN'T a PC. You're not storing video files or anything here, and you're not installing games to the HDD, they all run completely off of the disks.

We're talking small, 100kb-600kb (on average) files. I've in fact only ever heard of one person who actually filled up the hard drive, and they did it on purpose, expressly to prove that it could be done.

I mean, holy crap dude, the PS2 runs on 8mb memory cards. You're complaining about 5 gigs?
    2) Is there any way to format the hard drive, or simply delete all of the contents at once? The previous owner left behind a lot of savegames.

No, not without a modchip, but you CAN delete entire games, so you don't have to deal with individual save. Just select the game itself in the dashboard, and you get the option to delete it, and its saves entirely from the console.
    3) Are Xbox 1 memory cards still being sold in retail stores? I'd like to have one for backup purposes.
    No idea on this one, but I don't see why not.
    4) What's a good wireless controller for the Xbox?

I don't own one, myself, but I hear that far and away, the Logitech ones are the best. Quality feel, good reception, 70 hour battery life, so I'd probably go with that one.

With the Xbox, you might find you need wireless alot less though, because the cables are like 9-10 feet long, as opposed to the PS2/GC's 6. Try it out first.
    5) Is there any reason I should bother with Xbox Live if I'm not going to play multiplayer games? (It's kind of a hassle for me to hook it up to my network, so I'm not figuring on doing it right now.)
    Nope. On the 360, yes, but on the original Xbox, that's pretty much all it was good for.

...also, if anyone has any game suggestions, I'm open to most anything but FPSes. (All I have for it right now is Castlevania: Curse of Darkness, Silent Hill 2, and Dai Senryaku VII.)

Highlighting the most important:

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
    Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge
    Dead or Alive: Ultimate
    Fable
    Gunvalkyrie
    Jet Set Radio Future (You ABSOLUTELY NEED THIS GAME. Possibly the most underrated game on the entire console, and since it was part of a holiday bundle in 2002, you can get it used for like $2-3 bucks now. There is simply no reason not to own this game.)
    Ninja Gaiden (Best action game EVER? Possibly.)
    Otogi: Myth of Demons
    Otogi 2: Eternal Warriors
    Panzer Dragoon Orta
    Project Gotham Racing 2 (My personal favorite racing game of the last generation. Great gameplay mechanics, beautiful graphics, excellent music choice.. You really should at least try it out, even if you hate most racing games.)
    Rallisport Challenge 2
    Forza Motorsport (Unarguably better than GT4 in every single way except for GT4's sheer quantity of car selection)
    Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (Awesome, awesome, awesome game. Yes, it's on other platforms, but the Xbox version is hands-down the best. Excellent graphics, awesome plot and storyline progression, music by Amon Tobin, definitely one of the masterpieces of last gen.)

going back to the HDD:

So? You can't replace the RAM or DVD drive either. So what? Are you going to complain about that? OH GOD, WHAT IF THE POWER SWITCH FAILS, IT'S UNREPLACEABLE.

They're built to be $150 consumer consoles, dude, not your overclocked watercooled $2000 tuner rig. Having a user-replaceable internal HDD would just be a little bit silly, don't you think?

If it fails just get a modchip. Won't matter anyways, since you're not going online, right?

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Renzo wrote: »

It has a single-player game that I spent almost 50 hours on.

Well, shit. Bookman's had it for like $12 but I passed it up.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    redstormpopcornredstormpopcorn Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'd suggest one or more of the Burnout games. They're pretty good on their own, but the Xbox versions' soundtrack customization makes them infinitely better than other platforms.

redstormpopcorn on
    emot-kamina.gifBELIEVE IN YOU, WHO BELIEVES IN YOURSELF emot-kamina.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    I mean, holy crap dude, the PS2 runs on 8mb memory cards. You're complaining about 5 gigs?
    What is it with you people? Why do you take any comment that isn't sucking one corporation or another's cock as complaining? It was just an observation. Fucking hell.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
    Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge
    Dead or Alive: Ultimate
    Fable
    Gunvalkyrie
    Jet Set Radio Future (You ABSOLUTELY NEED THIS GAME. Possibly the most underrated game on the entire console, and since it was part of a holiday bundle in 2002, you can get it used for like $2-3 bucks now. There is simply no reason not to own this game.)
    Ninja Gaiden (Best action game EVER? Possibly.)
    Otogi: Myth of Demons
    Otogi 2: Eternal Warriors
    Panzer Dragoon Orta
    Project Gotham Racing 2 (My personal favorite racing game of the last generation. Great gameplay mechanics, beautiful graphics, excellent music choice.. You really should at least try it out, even if you hate most racing games.)
    Rallisport Challenge 2
    Forza Motorsport (Unarguably better than GT4 in every single way except for GT4's sheer quantity of car selection)
    I have absolutely no interest in fighting games, and almost none in racing games. I probably should've said that, but I wasn't thinking about it.

Already have KOTOR.

I'm leery of Jet Set Radio Future for the same reason as the Dreamcast game: Music.

So? You can't replace the RAM or DVD drive either. So what? Are you going to complain about that? OH GOD, WHAT IF THE POWER SWITCH FAILS, IT'S UNREPLACEABLE.
    Don't be an ass. Hard drives fail much more quickly than DVD drives and about a billion times more quickly than RAM. This is a used unit with at least three years of usage on it. I think I'm justified in being a little miffed at the idea that the failure of the hard drive means I'd have to buy a whole damned system over again, especially for a reason that doesn't appear to make any sense whatsoever. Which brings me back to my question: Whose bright idea was that? What possible purpose could it serve to key the hard drive to a specific motherboard?

And for the record, yes, I am liable to complain that I can't replace the RAM and DVD drive if they fail.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Well, if you're not going onto Live, you could always mod the thing and turn it into a media extension system.

yalborap on
  • Options
    fearofsocietyfearofsociety Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Psychonauts...

fearofsociety on
    Baby, why you make me hit you...
  • Options
    ikillkennyikillkenny Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If you liked the Crazy Taxi series (I guess unlikely since you said you don't like racing games), the original Xbox was the only place you could find the not-that-bad game Crazy Taxi 3.

If you haven't played the Tony Hawk series on other platforms, the Xbox is a pretty good one to do it on since it has the best graphics, good controls, and the ability to switch out the soundtrack. THUG was probably the best Tony Hawk from 3 to THUG 2, and I imagine it was probably better than American Wasteland.

ikillkenny on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Psychonauts...

Oh fuck yes.

august on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    And by modding you can increase that drive and copy games directly to it, drasticly decreasing load times.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Robo BeatRobo Beat Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    How about Deathrow? Hells of fun. If there's anything right with this world, we'll see a 360 sequel with proper online multiplayer.

Robo Beat on
    This is not the greatest sig in the world.
    This is just a tribute.
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I swear, if I could find a in-good-condition XBox for $120-$150 I would scoop it up. In fact I wanted to buy one early last year but not long after the 360 came out they just sort of disappeared.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I'm leery of Jet Set Radio Future for the same reason as the Dreamcast game: Music.

I never played JGR on the DC. What was the music like? I have the impression that it had a lot of American rock and pop? I say this because JSRF has Japanese hiphop and electronica mixed with rap from a Beastie Boys side project that is funky and also fresh. It fits the visuals of the game really well.

Renzo on
  • Options
    GimpyBoyGimpyBoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Some of the stuff in JSRF is remixes of the JGR stuff. Although JSRF has a better soundtrack IMO, even if most of it isn't original anymore.

Man, I pine for a sequel to that game. Too bad Smilebit bit the dust.

GimpyBoy on
    GimpyBoy.gif
  • Options
    nihilnihil Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    No offense my good man but you are wasting valuable gaming time by trying to decipher the mysteries of the xbox hd. the only way to tweak it is to mod it. mod chat not allowed here. games however, you've had some really awesome recommendations thus far, Crimson Skies, the Kotor games ( 2 wasn't that bad...although I do have yet to finish it), Riddick is one of the best first person shooters/stealth games ever made. It is a worthy adventure even if it is first person, there isn't really that much first person shooting as much as there is first person shiving. Burnout games for graphics and custom soundtracks. Jet Set Radio is a great sequel, enormous levels and the music...sometimes annoying but mostly keeps you grooving.(I have both soundtracks). Fable was fun if you pretend you had never heard any of the crap leading up to it. I picked up Deathrow because of the praise on this board and it is well deserved. Wow, I added nothing new but I assure you these titles are made of magical WIN dust.

nihil on
    doubttom.png

on the ps3 - doubttom
    on wii - 2056 0358 8899 2028
  • Options
    MonaroMonaro Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    May I add that a lot of games don't even support a memory card. Off hand, games like Ninja Gaiden and Burnout 3 come to mind. Reasons given are that the saves are locked to the hardware in order to keep the additional Live content on the original machine.

Even using fancy tricks to get them on a memory card won't work, as another Xbox won't recognise the save.

Monaro on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I never played JGR on the DC. What was the music like? I have the impression that it had a lot of American rock and pop? I say this because JSRF has Japanese hiphop and electronica mixed with rap from a Beastie Boys side project that is funky and also fresh. It fits the visuals of the game really well.

No, the first one had plenty of Japanese stuff and a couple Beasties samples. Plus some Rob Zombie and other American tracks. My guess is that he just dosen't like that kind of thing.

august on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    But there's no way to skip tracks in JSRF. And that awful Birthday Cake song comes up waaay too often.

"I would like to bek a cayke for my son. It is his sirteeyef birsday."

I can't go back to that game because of that damned Birthday Cake song.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    nihil wrote: »
    No offense my good man but you are wasting valuable gaming time by trying to decipher the mysteries of the xbox hd. the only way to tweak it is to mod it. mod chat not allowed here.

You can talk about modding all day long up in here as long as you don't endorse or talk about ways to run emulators or make copies of games you don't own.

august on
  • Options
    SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    does anyone know if Panzer Dragoon and the Otogis are compatible with the 360? always wanted to try those especially Panzer.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Panzer Dragoon still isn't I think. Which is a crime. Against. You know. Humanity.

august on
  • Options
    GimpyBoyGimpyBoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Sadly, neither are.

GimpyBoy on
    GimpyBoy.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Sonos wrote: »
    does anyone know if Panzer Dragoon and the Otogis are compatible with the 360? always wanted to try those especially Panzer.

None of the above. Neither is Phantom Dust.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    august wrote: »

No, the first one had plenty of Japanese stuff and a couple Beasties samples. Plus some Rob Zombie and other American tracks. My guess is that he just dosen't like that kind of thing.

Ah okay. Yeah, I can't blame anyone for not liking that. It's pretty crazy stuff.

emnmnme: "sirteeyef birsday" is like the most perfect way to spell that. I lol'd pretty hard.

Renzo on