Vanilla Forums has been nominated for a second time in the CMS Critic "Critic's Choice" awards, and we need your vote! Read more here, and then do the thing (please).
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The Shield: 43 seconds of Emmy worthy silence.

DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic I've Done WorseRegistered User regular
edited July 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
Once upon a time a jolly police commissioner went about his family and professional life and happily managed to resolve any problems in a convenient one hour time frame. Perhaps sometimes two, I was young and don't really remember. He was so jolly most people probably just told him they'd been very naughty and begged forgiveness from his Santa Claus-like demeanor.

Just look at him:
C1.jpg
Jolly as the day is long.

Then the Commish got canceled despite his jolliness. The commish got angry. To deal with his anger issues he lifted things. He lifted a lot of things. Now he's jolly but for a whole new reason. He's jolly because he knows he can horribly hurt anybody who ever thinks of canceling him ever again.

s1.jpg

The Shield is a serial cop drama in which the cops are the protagonists but they are not heroes. The show repeatedly makes you love and root for Mackey only to brutally remind you that in the grand scheme of things they may be the worst criminals in the district. Yet I still like them. I can't think of a single episode that didn't make me want more or left me feeling disappointed in how it was written/acted. It is flat out amazing to me.

Please remember the importance of spoilers. Huge events happen in the early seasons of the shield so let's respect those who haven't seen it yet. Label your spoilers as to the season. You might want to mention if it happens at the very end of the season or right at the beginning. Examples (Real Spoilers):

Early Season 1:
Spoiler:

Late Season 5:
Spoiler:

The new season starts on the 3rd. I was excited. Then I saw the 15 minute promosode. At this point I'd kill somebody for the season to start right this instant.

Pre-Season 6
Spoiler:

Updated Season 7 links:
There is some promo-web stuff up here.

In reference to the new title a round table discussion about who thought they were going to be capped in the series.

DevoutlyApathetic on
Trogg wrote: »
Not as positive as AIDS and cancer, but positive nonetheless.

PSN: QuipFilter

• HacksawHacksaw J Duggan Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I want this to start now. I'm tired of Dirt wasting my Tuesday nights. Fuck you, tabloids, I want my police brutality!

• hoodie13hoodie13 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    After 3 years of waiting I finally started watching this past summer.

I can't wait.

3DS Friend Code: 4398-9162-1823 ||| PSN: HoodieThirteen ||| XBL: Torn Hoodie ||| @hoodiethirteen
  • ElkiElki hegemon globalSuper Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2007
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    I want this to start now. I'm tired of Dirt wasting my Tuesday nights. Fuck you, tabloids, I want my police brutality!

Man, why do you watch that? I saw the pilot, and that was it. It's just no good.

• ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I really really like this show.

t5qfc9.jpg
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Elkamil wrote: »
    Hacksaw wrote: »

Man, why do you watch that? I saw the pilot, and that was it. It's just no good.

For I second I thought you were talking about The Shield, and I thought I was going to have to cut you.

I had no idea what was even playing in the timeslot...I looked up at some point when the new season started, burned it into my memory, and have been (somewhat) patiently waiting since...aside from The Shield I don't think I ever even turn to FX.

Also, loving the OP. I used to actually watch the Commish. I remember the first time I saw a preview for The Shield (aka Rampart) my first thought was, "Hey look...it's the Commish! Oh fuck...the Commish looks pissed!"

So yeah, start already new season. With both The Sopranos and The Shield gone, I've been totally missing my moral ambiguity fix.

• hoodie13hoodie13 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I've heard chatterings that this is the last season. Can anyone confirm this?

3DS Friend Code: 4398-9162-1823 ||| PSN: HoodieThirteen ||| XBL: Torn Hoodie ||| @hoodiethirteen
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic I've Done Worse Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Also, loving the OP. I used to actually watch the Commish. I remember the first time I saw a preview for The Shield (aka Rampart) my first thought was, "Hey look...it's the Commish! Oh fuck...the Commish looks pissed!"

This is exactly why I started watching The Shield. Someone pointed out it was The Commish looking all badass like that and I watched the pilot to see this spectacle. Then the pilot was incredible.

Thanks on the compliment. This is my first "grown-up" OP. I wished I could have found a better new image for him. GIS came back some that'd have been nice but couldn't find the real images.
    hoodie13 wrote: »
    I've heard chatterings that this is the last season. Can anyone confirm this?

Wiki claims that it's definitely been contracted for a final seventh season. The ending should be intense.

Random speculation:
    Spoiler:

• HaikiraHaikira Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    WOW!!! Been dying for more shield, thanks very much for details. = D

steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • deowolfdeowolf Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, great OP. Sweet mercy, I'm so excited for this season.

[SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    One of the best shows ever. It really is painful to have to wait like nine months between seasons.

steam_sig.png
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh fuck. Give this to me now.
    Spoiler:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2007
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    Oh fuck. Give this to me now.
    Spoiler:

I can't see how the show can end without (don't read unless you've seen EVERY season or don't plan on watching earlier ones):
    Spoiler:

steam_sig.png
  • siliconenhancedsiliconenhanced __BANNED USERS
    edited March 2007
    Spoiler:

edited March 2007
    Spoiler:

It's tough. I bet they haven't even written the ending yet. I dunno. This is the second-to-last season, right? There's going to be a Season 7, I believe?

For myself... (again massive spoilers)
    Spoiler:

steam_sig.png
  • siliconenhancedsiliconenhanced __BANNED USERS
    edited March 2007
    Spoiler:

• NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Spoiler:

edited March 2007
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Man they need to come out with season 5 on DVD already. I need to catch up.

• TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I was way into it for a while, but stopped following it a couple seasons back. I've kind of followed it from a distance reading spoilers and stuff. Mostly as an epilogue, since I rarely get back into a series I've dropped.

Dutch was my favorite character, from 'Dragonchasers' right up until I tuned out.

edited March 2007
    I'm rewatching the series from the start in anticipation of the new season.

Something I never caught before (Season 1:3)
    Spoiler:

edited March 2007
    I'm rewatching the series from the start in anticipation of the new season.

Something I never caught before (Season 1:3)
    Spoiler:

God, I remember that one. Fucking awesome.

• SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hey can someone spoiler season 5 for me? I missed it (I know, I know, shoot me) and I really want to start watching season 6 when it comes on.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited March 2007
    Sentry wrote: »
    Hey can someone spoiler season 5 for me? I missed it (I know, I know, shoot me) and I really want to start watching season 6 when it comes on.

No. Just no. Go fucking watch it. It's only like 13 episodes, you can knock that out in one day off.

edited March 2007
    just found out the dvds for S% come out tommorow

• SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

No. Just no. Go fucking watch it. It's only like 13 episodes, you can knock that out in one day off.

Didn't realize it was being released Tuesday.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited March 2007

Forrest Whitaker's (sp?) performance is so bloody awesome it demands to be seen.

• muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I am really intrigued how the serial killer and Dutch plotline will be resolved...

edited March 2007

Forrest Whitaker's (sp?) performance is so bloody awesome it demands to be seen.

Academy Award Winner Forest Whitaker now. Wonder if they'll plaster a sticker across the boxed sets.

• muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Academy Award Winner Forest Whitaker now. Wonder if they'll plaster a sticker across the boxed sets.

Such a likable guy and yet he is amazing at playing such assholes....

• NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    See thats what I loved about Whitakers character and the shield in general, here he is, doing the right thing and we're all rooting against him. He's trying to put someone away for crimes we know that he's guilty of, horrible things that he has done, and he's the bad guy. Thats some damn good writing.

edited March 2007
    Neaden wrote: »
    See thats what I loved about Whitakers character and the shield in general, here he is, doing the right thing and we're all rooting against him. He's trying to put someone away for crimes we know that he's guilty of, horrible things that he has done, and he's the bad guy. Thats some damn good writing.

Yeah, exactly.

steam_sig.png
  • NorayNoray Registered User
    edited March 2007

I was rooting against him because he was a fucking snake. The condescending way he talked to everyone and always had to have the last word pissed me off. Sure he was doing 'the right thing', but he was still a cock. Vic is an asshole to assholes only.

edited March 2007
    I must watch this season.....

edited March 2007
    Noray wrote: »

I was rooting against him because he was a fucking snake. The condescending way he talked to everyone and always had to have the last word pissed me off. Sure he was doing 'the right thing', but he was still a cock. Vic is an asshole to assholes only.

Like I said, I've been missing The Shield as my regular dose of tasty moral ambiguity.

• Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Vic is an asshole to assholes only.

Except for
    Spoiler:

Vic hurts the people around him as often as he helps them, and he does things as much for himself as he does for anyone else. He's a bad guy.

But we love him anyway.

• ArdeArde Registered User
    edited March 2007
    Vic's the poster boy for anti-hero. :)

Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
    edited March 2007

Except for
    Spoiler:

Vic hurts the people around him as often as he helps them, and he does things as much for himself as he does for anyone else. He's a bad guy.

But we love him anyway.

I'll spoiler this because I don't believe there is any real statute of limitations on spoilers, but it's Season Two talk, so relatively safe and unrelated to anything going on right now:
    Spoiler:
    I thought that was awesome.

steam_sig.png
  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Except for
    Spoiler:

But we love him anyway.

Vic hurts people who are in his way. He didn't do anything to Tevon, all he did was protect Shane who was again being a dick.

Saying that though. Shane is my favourite character in the show. He's such a selfish stupid redneck arsehole that he really adds to the show.

As much as I don't want (S5)
    Spoiler:

I thought (S3 or 4 I forget)
    Spoiler:

Also what were you guys talking about with Dutch and
    Spoiler:

• TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Jesus.

Yahoo just spoiled the living hell out of The Shield for anyone who hasn't been keeping up. Right on their front page.
    Spoiler:

edited March 2007
    Tiemler wrote: »
    Jesus.

Yahoo just spoiled the living hell out of The Shield for anyone who hasn't been keeping up. Right on their front page.
    Spoiler:

Not unlike Fark and BSG recently.