Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Knights of the Old Republic - contains a metric ton of unmarked spoilers

1171820222326

Posts

  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    big l wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    FYI:

    The Sith Lords Restored Content mod ver1.4 "READY"
    Snip

    Link

    As for what this mod does...
    Snip

    The implication is that all other cut content has been restored.

    So, the HK droid factory, and what else? Some extra Kreia conversations? Telling us what the hell GO-TO is up to in the final planet?
    Spoiler:
    That's what I've found so far.

    It's worth noting though that the first time I ran through KOTOR II it took me around twenty hours, this time I'm at the twenty hour mark and am only just finishing up my second planet.

    steam_sig.png
  • TubeTube Says some shit Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited September 2009
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    FYI:

    The Sith Lords Restored Content mod ver1.4 "READY"

    Has anyone here played using this mod yet?

    Yeah I have. It's... not bad. It becomes startlingly obvious that the majority of the gameplay content was cut for pace reasons rather than evil Lucasarts. Fighting through Nar Shadaa's new content for example is overwhelmingly tedious, and it also got to the point where I was sighing every time I had to go through another of the dozen new HK encounters. All the new plot stuff and added cut scenes are great, but everything you have to play through that was cut is pretty terrible. The HK factory in particular is dull as balls.

  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    FYI:

    The Sith Lords Restored Content mod ver1.4 "READY"

    Has anyone here played using this mod yet?

    Yeah I have. It's... not bad. It becomes startlingly obvious that the majority of the gameplay content was cut for pace reasons rather than evil Lucasarts. Fighting through Nar Shadaa's new content for example is overwhelmingly tedious, and it also got to the point where I was sighing every time I had to go through another of the dozen new HK encounters. All the new plot stuff and added cut scenes are great, but everything you have to play through that was cut is pretty terrible. The HK factory in particular is dull as balls.

    Honestly, the LP really makes this clear if you read between the lines.

    EDIT:
    Unless I'm forgetting that it wasn't, in fact, subtext in the LP... It's been a while since I've read it.

  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    It does and it doesn't.

    The LP notes that most of the cut content was cut for pacing/story reasons, but really questions the cutting of some content (most apparent being the HK factory).

    Did they make it so you could actually gain enough influence to unlock Mandalore's full conversations in the patch?

    Steam name: munkus_beaver
    Blizzard thing: munkus#1952
    Nintendo ID (3DS thinger): 0619-4510-9772
    Please give to the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America: http://www.ccfa.org/
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
  • LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User
    edited October 2009
    Silpheed wrote: »
    So, are there any decent looking armor/robe mods for KotoR?

    http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/KOTOR_Jedi_Robe_Model_Mod;87993

    this is what I use, didn't work on female characters though

    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • TubeTube Says some shit Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited October 2009
    All I want is to be able to put the hood up. That is paramount

  • Walrus PeteWalrus Pete Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    All I want is to be able to put the hood up. That is paramount

    There's this, but the screenshots are really low-quality and I haven't tried it myself so I don't know if it's any good.

  • TubeTube Says some shit Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited October 2009
    There should be a button to raise or lower your hood in an awesome fashion.

  • LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User
    edited October 2009
    Hood up on a good robe is the raddest

    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • MongerMonger Hella Fuckin Smokey Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    EddieDean wrote: »
    I was just looking at Team Gizka's site, and their changelog doesn't have anything after April. If they're going to leave it untouched for half a year, why not just release it as is?

    It's been like this since they started it years ago. They'd do a tiny bit, lie about what percentage was finished, then you'd have silence for six months. They gave plenty of reasons - 'life getting in the way' and such, but to have the whole thing (and more) done in less than six months by some other team really makes the point.
    Actually, I think Gizka had intended to do the GenoHaradan and a few other things that this mod doesn't do. They did completely nutpunch them on time, though.

  • TubeTube Says some shit Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited October 2009
    Fuck Team Gizka. They spent years pussying about bitching at each other and getting nothing done. TSLR got from start to finish in a few months with exactly the same resources available.

  • travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Not only getting nothing done but lying about what all they had done, and then when they finally did accomplish anything, refuse to release it to general public til it was 'perfect'. They rank rnearly up there with the Duke Nukem group as far as futility. The saddest part is all the pathetic fucks on their message board who constantly praise Team Gizka for the hard work being done. Heaven forbid you question their sanity, the fact that the mod will never be released perfect, or that nothing has been done in months and the White Knights of Team Gizka come to the rescue of the poor princess.

    It is too bad they didn't have the balls to say they were in over their head, open up all the code and changes to public and ask for help. A completed mod could have been released years ago.

  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So has anyone run into the issue of getting KOTOR1 to run on a Windows 7/Vista/XP machine? I have done all the troubleshooting steps from the lucasarts forums but it still crashes.

    However, on windows XP if I install the old NVIDIA 174 drivers it works okay. I can't really do that on Windows 7... I've also did the single core thing, and replaced the .dll file. Any other ideas anyone has here? I'm open to just about anything other than buying it again... I don't have any money right now.

  • MongerMonger Hella Fuckin Smokey Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    travathian wrote: »
    It is too bad they didn't have the balls to say they were in over their head, open up all the code and changes to public and ask for help. A completed mod could have been released years ago.
    This, to me, is the bad one. I'm sure there's a good amount of stuff that already has a fair amount of (at least) design progress on it that could be mopped up by another team in a matter of weeks if they didn't have to start from scratch. Plus how much more efficient bug testing would be, which appeared to be a lot of the holdup.

  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    FYI:

    The Sith Lords Restored Content mod ver1.4 "READY"

    Has anyone here played using this mod yet?

    Yeah I have. It's... not bad. It becomes startlingly obvious that the majority of the gameplay content was cut for pace reasons rather than evil Lucasarts. Fighting through Nar Shadaa's new content for example is overwhelmingly tedious, and it also got to the point where I was sighing every time I had to go through another of the dozen new HK encounters. All the new plot stuff and added cut scenes are great, but everything you have to play through that was cut is pretty terrible. The HK factory in particular is dull as balls.

    oh, so it was actually cut for a good reason

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The important missing content is mostly the ending anyway.

    camo_sig2.png
  • TubeTube Says some shit Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited October 2009
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    FYI:

    The Sith Lords Restored Content mod ver1.4 "READY"

    Has anyone here played using this mod yet?

    Yeah I have. It's... not bad. It becomes startlingly obvious that the majority of the gameplay content was cut for pace reasons rather than evil Lucasarts. Fighting through Nar Shadaa's new content for example is overwhelmingly tedious, and it also got to the point where I was sighing every time I had to go through another of the dozen new HK encounters. All the new plot stuff and added cut scenes are great, but everything you have to play through that was cut is pretty terrible. The HK factory in particular is dull as balls.

    oh, so it was actually cut for a good reason

    Pretty much all the gameplay stuff, yes. The HK droid factory has some nice dialogue but killing waves of enemies while playing as a not particularly effective member of the team is dull. All the extra gameplay sequences are combat heavy and boring.

  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    are the extra character interactions worth the tedium in any way?

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    In that case, it'd be cool if the installer had modular options so you could pick what you want. I know that's completely unfeasible though.

    camo_sig.png
  • TubeTube Says some shit Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited October 2009
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    are the extra character interactions worth the tedium in any way?

    Yeah they're pretty cool. If you ask on the boards they might be able to tell you which modules to remove. The droid factory is probably worth playing just for the dialogue.

  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    FYI:

    The Sith Lords Restored Content mod ver1.4 "READY"

    Has anyone here played using this mod yet?

    Yeah I have. It's... not bad. It becomes startlingly obvious that the majority of the gameplay content was cut for pace reasons rather than evil Lucasarts. Fighting through Nar Shadaa's new content for example is overwhelmingly tedious, and it also got to the point where I was sighing every time I had to go through another of the dozen new HK encounters. All the new plot stuff and added cut scenes are great, but everything you have to play through that was cut is pretty terrible. The HK factory in particular is dull as balls.

    oh, so it was actually cut for a good reason

    Pretty much all the gameplay stuff, yes. The HK droid factory has some nice dialogue but killing waves of enemies while playing as a not particularly effective member of the team is dull. All the extra gameplay sequences are combat heavy and boring.
    Something tells me that it probably would of been balanced better if it was oh I don't know not a fan project made by some people in their spare time?

    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • TubeTube Says some shit Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited October 2009
    Something tells me that it probably would of been balanced better if it was oh I don't know not a fan project made by some people in their spare time?

    What's your point?

  • EddieDeanEddieDean Registered User
    edited October 2009
    There should be a button to raise or lower your hood in an awesome fashion.

    Apparently, this was going to be a feature.

  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Something tells me that it probably would of been balanced better if it was oh I don't know not a fan project made by some people in their spare time?

    What's your point?

    That saying the gameplay was cut for that reason really doesn't make sense.

    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • TubeTube Says some shit Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited October 2009
    Something tells me that it probably would of been balanced better if it was oh I don't know not a fan project made by some people in their spare time?

    What's your point?

    That saying the gameplay was cut for that reason really doesn't make sense.

    In what sense? The content wasn't made fresh by the fan project, it was made by the dev team. It was cut for whatever reason and restored by the fans. The cuts, in many cases, were actually beneficial to the game. I have no idea why this concept appears to have you so deeply butthurt.

  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Something tells me that it probably would of been balanced better if it was oh I don't know not a fan project made by some people in their spare time?

    What's your point?

    That saying the gameplay was cut for that reason really doesn't make sense.

    In what sense? The content wasn't made fresh by the fan project, it was made by the dev team. It was cut for whatever reason and restored by the fans. The cuts, in many cases, were actually beneficial to the game. I have no idea why this concept appears to have you so deeply butthurt.

    I thought most of the stuff was done content wise was just a few lines of dialog and rough maps. Either way the patch is cool but it isn't as epic as the wait built it up to be.

    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • TubeTube Says some shit Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited October 2009
    Something tells me that it probably would of been balanced better if it was oh I don't know not a fan project made by some people in their spare time?

    What's your point?

    That saying the gameplay was cut for that reason really doesn't make sense.

    In what sense? The content wasn't made fresh by the fan project, it was made by the dev team. It was cut for whatever reason and restored by the fans. The cuts, in many cases, were actually beneficial to the game. I have no idea why this concept appears to have you so deeply butthurt.

    I thought most of the stuff was done content wise was just a few lines of dialog and rough maps. Either way the patch is cool but it isn't as epic as the wait built it up to be.

    I'd say over an hour of gameplay time is added, but a lot of it is pretty weak. The patch's effects on the plot are pretty great however, although the lack of animations in some areas is obvious. If you haven't played KOTOR 2 in a while I'd give it a whirl.

  • Walrus PeteWalrus Pete Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh god dammit. I've been playing through KOTOR 2 again with the restoration patch, except I kinda forgot about the droid factory for the whole game and never ended up triggering whatever tells you where they're coming from. Wouldn't bother me too much, except I think this caused the endgame to break. There's a cutscene that's supposed to happen, but all I get is the first half of it with no audio then it just stops and
    Spoiler:

    I'm hoping it'll be fixed if I go back to an earlier save but I hadn't saved since the start of the endgame planet and I don't have the patience to redo it all right away. So frustrated right now.

  • TubeTube Says some shit Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited October 2009
    The HK factory thing should be pretty much automatic

  • Walrus PeteWalrus Pete Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Nothing relating to it happened at all, except for the tons of extra HK-50s the mod added. It's weird. Maybe something didn't go quite right when it installed, I guess.

  • MongerMonger Hella Fuckin Smokey Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Something tells me that it probably would of been balanced better if it was oh I don't know not a fan project made by some people in their spare time?

    What's your point?

    That saying the gameplay was cut for that reason really doesn't make sense.

    In what sense? The content wasn't made fresh by the fan project, it was made by the dev team. It was cut for whatever reason and restored by the fans. The cuts, in many cases, were actually beneficial to the game. I have no idea why this concept appears to have you so deeply butthurt.

    I thought most of the stuff was done content wise was just a few lines of dialog and rough maps. Either way the patch is cool but it isn't as epic as the wait built it up to be.
    Yes, this is mostly true. All the recorded dialogue was on the disks, and (I think) some of the scripts. The areas were mostly (HK factory) or partially (M4-78) finished. All the enemy encounters and such are completely whipped up by the mod team, and I assume would've been paced better if placed by a team of professionals. I can't really comment on how the restoration mod flows, since I haven't reinstalled the game yet.

  • big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    There should be a button to raise or lower your hood in an awesome fashion.

    Do you think there is some way you can communicate this suggestion to the guys making the KOTOR MMO? This really needs to be a feature.

  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    big l wrote: »
    There should be a button to raise or lower your hood in an awesome fashion.

    Do you think there is some way you can communicate this suggestion to the guys making the KOTOR MMO? This really needs to be a feature.

    believe we've talked about this in the KOTOR MMO thread in that subforum.

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ahh. Now that the mod exists. Time to get the PC version of KOTOR2. Swing by-o Best Buy-o.

  • l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User
    edited October 2009
    It is the bitterest of ironies that when we finally get the content that was taken out of KotoR 2, it ends up dragging the game down.

    I'd be perfectly fine with just a couple tweaks here and there and just give me a goddamn ending. Stupid fans having to do everything the right way.

  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It is the bitterest of ironies that when we finally get the content that was taken out of KotoR 2, it ends up dragging the game down.

    I'd be perfectly fine with just a couple tweaks here and there and just give me a goddamn ending. Stupid fans having to do everything the right way.

    Things like fan mods and fan translations can really expose the difference between professionals and rabid people who don't know that sometimes restraint is a good thing. All those fan translations that insist on literal word-to-word translations, except for the random words that their otaku-addled brains think should be kept Japanese with no explanation as to what the hell they mean...

    On the other hand, there are fan projects that do a better job for not being restricted to time, etc., but those are few and far between.

    camo_sig.png
  • TubeTube Says some shit Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited October 2009
    Comparitively little about the ending is changed. There are a few extra scenes with the rest of the party but the ending as a whole is exactly the same. Unfortunately because they didn't have animation teams at their disposal some of the restored scenes look a little ropy.

  • l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User
    edited October 2009
    Comparitively little about the ending is changed. There are a few extra scenes with the rest of the party but the ending as a whole is exactly the same. Unfortunately because they didn't have animation teams at their disposal some of the restored scenes look a little ropy.

    See, this is what I mean. You'd think the ending would be priority one, not making sure you get to fight HK's every three minutes.

  • TubeTube Says some shit Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited October 2009
    yeah but what can they really do? It's outside of their remit. All they can do is restore what was already on the disk. Then again I actually thought the ending was pretty good so.

  • l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User
    edited October 2009
    Good point. I'm just trying to figure out where to put my nerd rage, after I wait years for this thing, and then I end up preferring the game I had before it was changed.

Sign In or Register to comment.