As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Good podcasts?

BarcardiBarcardi All the WizardsUnder A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
edited October 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I am at work, a office job. And i usually get by with my current podcasts:

Adam Corolla
ESPN daily
D&D Podcasts
1up Podcasts
Fresh Air
Design and Architecture
and Rick Steves

But i have reached a point where im exhausted by these. Can anyone suggest their list of podcasts, whats good? Whats good news? Whats funny? Whats geeky?

Barcardi on

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I mostly listen to gaming podcasts, so I'll try to keep it short.

Giant Bomb is another good gaming podcast, although they have their share of people who dislike them. It's Jeff Gerstmann, Ryan Davis, Brad Shoemaker, and Vinny Caravella of former Gamespot fame.

Car Talk is usually a fun listen.

SteevL on
  • Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This American Life

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The acclaim for This American Life is nigh-universal.

I also enjoy TEDTalks, News from Lake Wobegon, and the PA podcasts (not the D&D ones).

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    if you want geeky, the TWiT network is for you. twit.tv. I <3 Leo Laporte and want him to have my man babies.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • TheScrupleTheScruple The Oldest of BridgesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well, I have the first 4 on my podcast list, so here's my complete list, copied/pasted from iTunes, omitting the ones you mention. Maybe you'll find something that appeals to you here:

Slate's Spoiler Specials - Movie reviews, containing spoilers. Great for movies you don't ever plan to see, or ones you've already seen.
    NPR: Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me! Podcast - Very funny news quiz show, kinda hokey, but still good.
    GamerCast Network: Video Game Show - An okay gaming podcast, sometimes funny, sometimes not.
    Baseball America - Prospect-Focused, not much in major league stuff.
    Penn Radio Podcast (now defunct, but I keep the archive around) - Penn Jillette's old radio show on Free FM
    Baseball Prospectus Radio Podcast - Goes with the site. If you don't like the site, you won't like the radio show.
    SModcast - Quick Stop Entertainment - Kevin Smith and Scott Mosier's podcast. Highly recommended.
    Coverville: The Cover Music Podcast (AAC Edition) - All cover songs, all the time. Hit or miss, but when it hits, it's brilliant. Great host, tons of episodes, updates frequently.
    Downloadable Content, The Penny Arcade Podcast
    ExtraLife Radio, with Scott Johnson - by the author of the webcomic, but completely independent. Pretty funny and very very geeky.
    MLB.com Fantasy 411 Audio Podcast - fantasy baseball podcast, one of the first, still one of the best.
    Deadcast - The Deadspin Podcast - let's call it a work in progress. Drew's getting better at hosting, and can be very funny.
    Slashcry Champions Online - Specific to Champions MMO, run by wolfgangpg on the forums here. Pretty good, but very specific.
    TEDTalks (audio) - hasn't been updated in a while, but is real good when it is.

TheScruple on
    All prairie dogs just want to be heroes
  • ShadowrunnerShadowrunner Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This American Life is definitely a good choice. I'm also a fan of SModcast and Savage Love.

Shadowrunner on
  • Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Mr Bubbles on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    RadioLab is hands-down the best sciency podcast I've found.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Can't forget The Bugle, an absolutely hilarious news podcast from John Oliver of the Daily Show and his friend Andy Zaltzman.

Cannot recommend it enough.

Bitstream on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Idle Thumbs is my personal favorite gaming podcast.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    if you like adam corolla you might like bill simmons the sports guy

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • VanityPantsVanityPants Gokai Red! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Mr Bubbles wrote: »

I just gotta say, thank you so much for the tip about Hardcore History. This is seriously one of my favorite Podcasts, now.

VanityPants on
    Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2009
    If you like the tone of This American Life, and like gaming, You should get on A Life Well Wasted. Its updated infrequently (once a month) but its awesome.

For Game reviews:
    Gamers With Jobs
    Drunken Gamers

For Short, but awesome:
    Savage Love (Pretty NSFW, so i donno if this works)
    Digg Nation

For just spontaneous conversation:
    Never Not Funny (20 bucks for a season of full episodes)
    Keith and the Girl (full of drama and bitching, if you like that)

Iruka on
  • DrswordsDrswords Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I second Never Not Funny, been a listener since the beggining. Always worth a good laugh, and some great insights into hollywood and standup comedy.

That and Jimmy Pardo is a pedantic asshole, yet really really funny, so its awesome.

Drswords on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    NoobToob, comes out with a new one every monday.

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • AusteraAustera Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Iruka beat me to "A Life Well Wasted" =] although you're probably looking for something daily.

Austera on
  • reddogreddog The Mountain Brooklyn, NYRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I just started listening to Stuff You Should Know. I'm really enjoying it...it's basically random stuff you should know. They focus on one subject a podcast. So far i've listened to one about the Necronomicon, one about what I should know about health care reform and there's one about Ponzi schemes. Really random things but fun to listen to.

reddog on
    reddog.png
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'll second the Bugle if you like the Daily Show at all and Simmons if you're at all interested in sports.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    KEXP Song of the Day

I start my day with some new indie song every morning.

Also NBC's Nightly News is availible as a podcast which is great to watch during breakfast

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Drswords wrote: »
    I second Never Not Funny, been a listener since the beggining. Always worth a good laugh, and some great insights into hollywood and standup comedy.

That and Jimmy Pardo is a pedantic asshole, yet really really funny, so its awesome.

I haven't gotten it yet because I'm cheap, but if you're not as cheap as I am then it's definitely a good choice; along the same vein I'm really liking Doug Benson's I Love Movies podcast (the last year or so, before that is significantly worse)

Gdiguy on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If you like his stuff, Garrison Keillor's "News from Lake Wobegon" gets put up in a podcast every week.

KalTorak on
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    How to Succeed in Evil

It's about an evil efficiency consultant. You know, the guy helping the villains be more...villainy. You can download the entire audio book as a podcast. About 70 episodes.

DrZiplock on
  • solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Repeating what has been said.

General:
    "This American Life" is fantastic.
    "Stuff You Should Know" is another great podcast with a wide range of topics. Any of the "Stuff.." podcasts are pretty good. (Stuff You Missed in History Class, TechStuff, Stuff Mom Never told you")

Gaming: Gamers With Jobs, Giant Bombcast

Geek Culture: A life Well Wasted (not updated often or at all anymore but worth listening), Geekbox (sometimes really annoying)

solsovly on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Mr Bubbles wrote: »

Seconded.

Also, Carlin's political podcast, Dan Carlin's Common Sense is a really interesting look at politics from a historically-minded and very logical viewpoint. He tends to look at the cause and effects of political machinations instead of just supporting whatever his view might be.

NotASenator on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    reddog wrote: »
    I just started listening to Stuff You Should Know. I'm really enjoying it...it's basically random stuff you should know. They focus on one subject a podcast. So far i've listened to one about the Necronomicon, one about what I should know about health care reform and there's one about Ponzi schemes. Really random things but fun to listen to.

Oh, yeah...

My wife has gotten hooked on Stuff You Should Know, but be aware that How Stuff Works has a TON of podcasts that are pretty good, like Stuff You Missed in History Class.

NotASenator on
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dear god i love you guys, so many podcasts. So far the 3 i have listened to are awesome, ill get to all of them eventually.

Barcardi on
  • susansusan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'd like to give another shout-out to 'How to Succeed in Evil'. Not a true Podcast per se, more an episodic literary story, but whatever else it is it's ridiculously good. Edwin is basically a walking 'Crowning Moment of Awesome', especially the finale which sent shivers down my spine the first go-through.

susan on
    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    susan wrote: »
    I'd like to give another shout-out to 'How to Succeed in Evil'. Not a true Podcast per se, more an episodic literary story, but whatever else it is it's ridiculously good. Edwin is basically a walking 'Crowning Moment of Awesome', especially the finale which sent shivers down my spine the first go-through.

Shit yes.

The writer/producer/voice talent guy was the copywriter that I replaced at my old ad agency. Patrick is a hell of a writer.

DrZiplock on
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So.... um... 1up AND idle thumbs are done, any other decent gaming podcasts? Or have those guys set up any satellite podcasts?

Barcardi on
  • exmelloexmello Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    castroller is good for searching categories of podcasts.

exmello on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Barcardi wrote: »
    So.... um... 1up AND idle thumbs are done, any other decent gaming podcasts? Or have those guys set up any satellite podcasts?

The old Games For Windows pod cast (used to be a part of 1up) turned into Lan Party which then turned into Rebel FM. Its still alright, but the cast is down two 2-3 guys and its just not the same since most of the big personalities left for better things.

Check it out, there's definately great moments to be had, just not as regularly as the others mentioned.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • lsukalellsukalel Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    http://www.spill.com/

My favorite group of podcasts ever. Seriously just the funniest stuff I hear on a daily basis. Its to the point that I don't watch that much tv and listen to this.

There are a few different podcast(s) at Spill.

First there are movie reviews as that is the primary function of the website. These reviews are really free form and are usually very funny. Its 4 guys sitting around talking about the movie and cracking jokes the entire time.

Then there is a "Couple of Cold Ones". This is a podcast where they go over what movies were the top 5 last week and answer listener mail. Again, very funny.

There is also "Lets Do this". This one is USUALLY 3 and a half hours long. This one isn't my favorite but if you are into random humor its for you.

My favorite of all this is a podcast called "The Leauge of Extremely Ordinary Gentlemen" It is a podcast centered around comic books , TV, and pretty much anything someone on penny arcade would like. It has like 15 people on it at this point and is funny and a blast to listen too.

Lastly, they put on some random podcasts every now and then when big stuff in the world happens.

I know I am selling this, but please listen to a few of these, I promise you will be hooked. I am so jealous of you right now, I had no idea how awesome spill was before I dived in and listened to all of them over the course of a month.

lsukalel on