As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Gandalf the Grey pencil drawing

Adam CasalinoAdam Casalino New York (in my heart)Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Artist's Corner
This is a few years old, thought I'd post it. I want to ink and color it, but the original is packed up in a box several states away!

Maybe one day:

Gandalf_the_Gray_by_adamclark.jpg

The gray bar across the middle is from where I had to stitch the two scans together. I'm much better at that nowadays!

Adam Casalino on

• iglidanteiglidante Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm getting nothing. Anyone else seeing it?

iglidante on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited October 2009
    I think your hosting is down.

bombardier on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2009
    not bad, but you have a few issues with anatomy

the sleeve makes the arm look kinda puffy, and I don't know how his left (our right) leg is bent all weird

neat picture, though

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    Looks more like Rincewind. I think it's the goofy shoes.

tynic on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It's a good thing that face has so much character in it, because the rest of the drawing leaves a lot to be desired.

Even accounting for the "austerity" of a wizard's personality, the structure is really stiff and wooden. His arm especially stiff, the hand is too small, and the end of the staff looks really half-assed. The feet don't make any sense either- someone that tall would have a wider stance (edit: have to revise this: he doesn't necessarily need a wider stance, but the angles that his feet are coming out at make no sense).

Also, going on what tynic said, it does look more like a Discworld wizard. Did you draw any inspiration from there?

Tam on
  • LaliluleloLalilulelo Richmond, VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Face is really nice. Body has a lot of problems. The sleeve wouldn't hang like that. But this is really old, what else ya got?

Lalilulelo on
  • SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Why the hell would you post something a few years old?

Have you drawn nothing better since?

Sublimus on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    yeah i can never quite comprehend when people post stuff that is more than a few months old
    I have improved exponentially since last year
    it pains me that people have even seen that stuff.

fuck, i've improved since last month!
    but you guys can't see that shit cause it's all freelance boooo

beavotron on
  • CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Those are the silliest Mickey Mouse feet I've ever seen.

CheerfulBear on
  • Adam CasalinoAdam Casalino New York (in my heart)Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    thanks for the honest critiques. in response to your question, i've never heard of Rincewind or Discworld.

and in the comments about how old it is, i guess i can post some newer stuff.

Adam Casalino on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2009
    Sublimus wrote: »

how are responses like this remotely constructive?

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Are you fucking serious, Rankenphile?
    This is a few years old, thought I'd post it.

CheerfulBear on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sublimus wrote: »

how are responses like this remotely constructive?

I'd say the one by sub is very constructive
    we can't properly crit someone's skill level based on work that is this old
    we can crit the piece
    but it will do nothing for their work and where it is right now
    if this is the very last thing he drew, and it is a year and a half later, he will probably be set back a few paces
    if this is just the one odd thing he managed to draw that looked well and it was a fluke, any crits we give him may be aimed a bit higher than his skill level
    we can't give good crits that are going to help an artist grow based on one piece of work that is this old, it's just not worth either his or our time, too much stuff changes in that time, i'm sure you can attest to this yourself, rank.

beavotron on
    edited October 2009
    I'm guessing I'm just reacting to the tone of the remarks rather than the content.

I agree that if he's drawn since, he's likely to have improved since, but it seems to me that offering more precise and helpful critiques rather then jumping on him immediately for having posted a drawing he was proud of, no matter the age, would help foster more willingness to post again, rather then chase off potential new artists. The fact that he posted this drawing, old as it is, instead of something newer, shows that it is something he was proud of, and that it is likely he's more proud of it then other newer drawings. And for good reason - there are a number of places he did well in in the drawing - the face and the hat are well done, and the cloak shows at least a basic understanding of creating drapery, although it doesn't show much in regards to what lies beneath it. The rest of the drawing has issues, but shows promise - the guy's technical skill isn't bad, it just needs to demonstrate better fundamental understanding of how to construct the forms and build the figure realistically.

*shrug* I guess I'm just a bit weary of the quickness to scorn that this place seems to foster, and would prefer a bit more of a constructive and helpful response, especially to new posters here.
    beavotron wrote: »
    we can't give good crits that are going to help an artist grow based on one piece of work that is this old, it's just not worth either his or our time, too much stuff changes in that time, i'm sure you can attest to this yourself, rank.

beav, you know that's a crock of shit. There's no reason someone couldn't point out issues with this drawing that could help him. He posted it because he was proud of it, and if it isn't worth your time to try to help, then it isn't worth the time to make snarky posts about either, at least not in a subforum that is supposed to be about fostering creativity and helping artists grow. I wouldn't post something old if I thought I already knew better, because I had already improved. If I had posted something old, it was because I thought it was a good example of my ability and something I was proud of.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited October 2009
    thanks rankenpile, for the support.

here is something i did more recently. constructive criticism is appreciate:

algerbane_colors.jpg

This one maybe i can get some tips on coloring? I have read up on photoshop coloring, but i am always open to suggestions. i 'inked' it in illustrator.

After realizing i prefer tradtional inking, i decided to ink with pens. here is a sample of that:

halburn.jpg

I admit I had trouble with the hand on the face (you should have seen it before I cleaned it up with the inking!) any advice/crit is appreciated

Adam Casalino on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    edit: Wow I must have waited like 4 hours to write this reply. The OP posting newer stuff changes a lot.

Scosglen on
    edited October 2009
    Scosglen wrote: »
    The snarkiness is maybe unnecessary but that is sort of how we do things around here. It might not be the most welcoming but it sure as hell drives off people who have no intention of learning. The OP has a very "here is something I made for you guys to enjoy" tone rather than "please critique this". We can only guess at his motivations.

I feel, and it seems I'm not the only one, that critique is best served steaming hot with the struggles and thought processes of the work in question fresh on the mind. 3 months is a long time to wait, 3 years is an eternity.

I sincerely hope the OP follows up.
    "that's the way we do it here" doesn't make it right, and it doesn't mean it should stay that way. Chasing off "folks who have no intention of learning" is one thing once they've demonstrated their unwillingness, but to chastise after a single post that shows any sort of promise is short-sighted and bullish, and has a lot to do with why the AC is one of the least-viewed and least-popular subforums on the entire site, and has by far the highest number of folks who post once or twice and never post again, regardless of their skill or willingness to learn, as well as folks who never post their art in the first place. It is inherently a hostile environment, and that's fucking moronic.

as for the more recent art posts, they show good basic ability, with some notable flaws - I'll get more into them when I have more time, but right now I've jsut spent 14 hours working up a sculpture at school, so I'm goddamn exhausted.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • sirchrissypoosirchrissypoo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The old drawing was good but the pose was way too stiff and rigid.

The new stuff, however, is pretty nice. The new wizard's pose looks off-putting though. It looks like he is posing proud and puffing out his chest, but physically he looks, well, like a more noble wizard. Also, the staff looks like a puny twig, could use a little work on that. The coloring looks good to me, can't say too much as coloring is what I have the most trouble with, so I mainly work black and white.

As for the third drawing, I like the way he looks, but the pose is a bit off. Again, it looks like he is posing with his knee up, Captain Morgan style, when, if he is indeed scouting like it appears, he should be maybe leaning a bit more. Also the bow looks awfully small compared to the rest of him.

Like I said, though, really great stuff! I like your style of drawing, and hope to see more.

sirchrissypoo on
    edited October 2009
    I don't want to beat a dead hoarse on this, but,
    I guess posting old work is just a red flag in my book. I suppose I was a bit short with the guy, but that's because I find something strange and disingenuous about posting work that old. What are the motives? You say 'because he is proud of it' which reads to me as 'want's asspats'. Sure if he was posting a body of his works that he was proud of that span a few years, that's fine. That is him giving us context for his work. But posting a lone image from years ago is more like 'look what I did, pretty good, right?'

And sure, we all post work we are proud of to try and get some feedback/asspats. But any feedback this guy gets would be bunk. For example, why the hell would I want someone to crit my work from a few years ago
    threeyears.jpg

Wouldn't do much good. So why does he want feedback on that pic? Reads to me as, 'look, I haven't gotten much better in years, but this is one is pretty good right?'

Reads as a slacker trying to get validation.

And maybe we don't get tons of new posters 'posting just one image' (read:looking for asspats) but anyone who comes here looking for solid feedback, is always really happy with the feedback they get.

Anyways, that's my rant on posting old work.

Sorry your thread kind of got hijacked.

Now to crit the stuff! :D

As mentioned, your first one has a real nice drawing quality in the face. You seem to have a pretty good idea about the anatomy of a face, and you are most comfortable with it. The biggest problem with it is that you didn't really figure out how the body is working underneath all that drapery.The legs are totally crooked, and don't even look like they connect. The arm doesn't appear to connect properly to the shoulder, and is really flat and stiff. The sleeve, as mentioned, is an issue. And it looks like you could benefit from some hand studies. Or at least work from reference! Don't be afraid to snap a pic of something if you're not quite able to draw it from memory. This will improve your work drastically. To sum up; the clothing looks pretty good, but you need to think more about the figure underneath of it.

The next one; in terms of construction, this may be your best. It has an overall good flow and decent understanding of weight distribution. The hands are still an issue in this one. His left hand looks like it is resting a bit far back on his hip. That is sort of an unnatural pose, and he wouldn't really be able to rest the weight of his arm like that. I'm no color expert, but I would say it over saturated, and you made his skin yellow. Think more reds/peaches when doing skin tones. Also think about your light source. Where is it coming from in this pic??

Your third image: Hands and construction are again the main issues here. The leg propped up on the rock looks like it hits him in the abdomen, not the pelvis. Both of the legs are incredibly too large for the rest of that body. It looks like you have taken two different drawings, and just put them together. The inking is a bit splotchy, but at least you started to work in some variation. That's a good step forward from pic two, where all the lines are the same boring lined. Oh and also, the perspective in the feet of all three are skrewy.

Hope that all of this hasn't scared you off! Just keep up the hard work, and you'll be sailing in no time!

Sublimus on
    edited October 2009
    Thank you again for the critics. For the record, I posted the older because I was eager to post something on the forums, but hadn't any access to my recent stuff (either on a harddrive or physically) so I thought I'd put that up first. I didn't particularly want any "butt-pats" just some honest feedback/critiques.

The feedback is appreciated. I do notice the odd placement of the feet. Normally I work on the body first, then layer the clothing over it (sort of the 'draw-through' method) but for some reason with this one I got too preoccupied with the drapery of the robe/cloak and didn't focus enough of the position of the body.

sirchrissypoo - I can see what you mean about his pose being too haughty. The staff was a bit of an after thought and it does indeed seem puny. For the second one, the bow was also an after thought. I guess when it comes to accessorizing a figure, I need to work it out more.

Sublimus - good tip on the hand placement. the colors are over saturated (I had also realized I didn't set a light source on this one). You seem to have discovered my weakness in poses (lol). Does anyone know of good reference books/tools/etc for human poses? I seem to have trouble with hands and feet.

Thanks once again for the honest critiques

Adam Casalino on
    edited October 2009
    There is always posemaniacs.com for some good figure pracitce. And there is also characterdesigns.com photosets for more reference!

Keep fighting the good fight, buddy!

And welcome to the boards (no matter how bumpy a start :P)

Sublimus on
    edited October 2009
    cool, thanks

Adam Casalino on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sub wrote:
    And there is also characterdesigns.com photosets for more reference!

This is fantastic, why have I not heard of this before?

Mustang on
  • LaliluleloLalilulelo Richmond, VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Mustang wrote: »
    Sub wrote:
    And there is also characterdesigns.com photosets for more reference!

This is fantastic, why have I not heard of this before?

It's so obvious I never would have considered it!

Lalilulelo on