As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warren Ellisish Thread

• Options
    AzraelAzrael Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    July 13th? JULY FUCKING THIRTEENTH!?!?!

I was only looking at june on the Wildstorm site, but the cover on #1 says July. And there is no entry for it in august, so I guess its only out every 2 months. :(

Azrael on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2005
    Azrael wrote:
    July 13th? JULY FUCKING THIRTEENTH!?!?!

I was only looking at june on the Wildstorm site, but the cover on #1 says July. And there is no entry for it in august, so I guess its only out every 2 months. :(
    yeah, it's bimonthly. Oh well.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    mrsinistermrsinister Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    Please explain how Gatsby fits in with not trusting the nararator.

When it comes to crazy comic writes "unleashed" I used to prefer Ellis over Morrison by a long shot, but now with Seven Soldies, which gets even better with the #2 issues, I don't know. I'm not sold on Desolation Jones at all, it seems to be Ellis falling back on familiar teritory, although far too soon to know whats going on.

mrsinister on
  • Options
    edited June 2005
    From BAD SIGNAL, Ellis' newsletter:
    In other news, I'm still waiting to see
    a copy myself. When I get one
    finally, I'll do a "DVD commentary"
    on the first issue at warrenellis.com.

-- W

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    WallyWally Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    I wasn't sure if this deserved it's own thread, but if you know where to look you can find the pilot for the Global Frequency tv series.

Wally on
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    OH FUCK YES

JONES #1 'director's commentary' available at http://www.warrenellis.com/

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    AntibodiesAntibodies Used to live in a psychic city. Never knew what would happen in a day. Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited July 2005
    OH FUCK YES

That's awesome- thanks for that Orikae. Perfect timing as the next issue is supposed to be out this week I guess. Hopefully.

Antibodies on
    XBL: thetinwoodsman
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    Antibodies wrote:
    OH FUCK YES

That's awesome- thanks for that Orikae. Perfect timing as the next issue is supposed to be out this week I guess. Hopefully.

Oh holy shit, that's this week? I've got to dig out $4 then. I thought it was out next week.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2005
    GUYS

I JUST FOUND A COPY OF #1 ON EBAY
    I USED THE "BUY IT NOW" OPTION
    GOT IT FOR $2

SADLY, IT IS FROM THE UK
    SHIPPING WILL PROBABLY BE LIKE $10

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2005
    I need no preview, for I have number 2 right here.

I'm still interested enough to keep on keeping on with the singles.

It occured to me today that, despite the "hard bastard" Ellis typeface over the character, I think there is a key difference between the two longform pieces he's done. At least, judging by the respective first issues. I think that Transmet featured a character that knew exactly who he was at all times, whereas Desolation Jones is about a character who has no idea who he really is. They have a similar face, but underneath they are exact opposites. Maybe that's just me.

Anyway, I thought the pheromone idea was neat, and interestingly could be applicable to a comic I'm writing.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    Just read it.

Wow.

I love where this is going, and Emily Crowe might well turn out to be my favourite supporting character.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    RockyRaccoonRockyRaccoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Issue #2 was much better than the first, and at this point I'm committed to picking up the next 4 at least.

RockyRaccoon on
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    Wow. I finally got ahold of issue one. That was some really excellent stuff. I can't wait for issue 2!

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    AntibodiesAntibodies Used to live in a psychic city. Never knew what would happen in a day. Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Wow. I finally got ahold of issue one. That was some really excellent stuff. I can't wait for issue 2!

It came out last week, I was quite taken with Emily and found myself trying to recapture that "arachnid reaction" feeling to see what that would feel like looking at a fine goth chick- interesting. I'm in for the long run.

Antibodies on
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited July 2005
    My shop didn't bother ordering issue #1, just #2.

So, here I am with issue #2, and I really like it, but I'm a teeny bit lost.

Knob on
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    #2 was great too. The artwork is just amazing. A very tender moment with Jones and Crowe too. I really appreciated the fact that [spoiler:29370baea2] "please Jones stay with me" was just Jones holding her as she slept and not sex. [/spoiler:29370baea2] Lesser, more unrefined writers would have jumped at that chance.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    FunksubmarineFunksubmarine Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Oh fuck this series is looking good. I liked the first one a lot but #2 is kicking my ass with greatness. Along with the fact that I just read the first few issues of Runaways, New Avengers, and The Losers I think I'm going to explode with excellent comic fever.

Funksubmarine on
  • Options
    DudditsDuddits Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    #2 was great too. The artwork is just amazing. A very tender moment with Jones and Crowe too. I really appreciated the fact that [spoiler:6cc10ab2c7] "please Jones stay with me" was just Jones holding her as she slept and not sex. [/spoiler:6cc10ab2c7] Lesser, more unrefined writers would have jumped at that chance.
    I think that speaks for Jones. Because:
    [spoiler:6cc10ab2c7]I think that she would absolutely leap at the chance to have sex with him. Jones, however, would feel like he was taking advantage of her.[/spoiler:6cc10ab2c7]
    Course, that's just my opinion. Excellent fucking comic either way.

Duddits on
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    Duddits wrote:
    #2 was great too. The artwork is just amazing. A very tender moment with Jones and Crowe too. I really appreciated the fact that [spoiler:7c29f1d28e] "please Jones stay with me" was just Jones holding her as she slept and not sex. [/spoiler:7c29f1d28e] Lesser, more unrefined writers would have jumped at that chance.
    [spoiler:7c29f1d28e]I think that she would absolutely leap at the chance to have sex with him. Jones, however, would feel like he was taking advantage of her.[/spoiler:7c29f1d28e]

Yes. Exactly.

I have not read any other comics (except for transmet) where you can have a conversation of this depth about a single panel in it.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    The CowThe Cow Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Duddits wrote:
    #2 was great too. The artwork is just amazing. A very tender moment with Jones and Crowe too. I really appreciated the fact that [spoiler:86567a97e7] "please Jones stay with me" was just Jones holding her as she slept and not sex. [/spoiler:86567a97e7] Lesser, more unrefined writers would have jumped at that chance.
    [spoiler:86567a97e7]I think that she would absolutely leap at the chance to have sex with him. Jones, however, would feel like he was taking advantage of her.[/spoiler:86567a97e7]

Yes. Exactly.

I have not read any other comics (except for transmet) where you can have a conversation of this depth about a single panel in it.

I love Ellis and all, but I'm sorry - Watchmen tops pretty much every other comic in terms of how long you can discuss the meaning behind it and all the small details in it.

For instance, I've had multiple multi-page discussions over why Rorschach pulls off his mask at the end, and what it signifies. The thing about is that it's so open to interpretation that every single time I have a discussion about Watchmen I always come away with something I hadn't thought of before.

The Cow on
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    Oh yeah, I forgot about Watchmen.

All right, Transmet, Jones, and Watchmen. That's it.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    What about Maus or V for Vendetta. Or Sandman. The Filth or The Invisibles maybe. 100 Bullets has a bunch of important and ambiguous panels.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    Sandman, maybe. The Filth seemed masturbatory (look at me, i'm writing literature) and i haven't read 100 bullets in years.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    The Filth is great and you're missing out on some excellent stories, if you dug the stuff you read earlier.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    I read through the whole thing. Didn't like it.

Good art, though.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    The Filth was awesome super mega ultra rad, you know.

Knob on
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    I read through the whole thing. Didn't like it.

Good art, though.

The "whole thing" being up to what point, out of curiosity?

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    [spoiler:1512c0a944]The part where his entire reality falls apart.[/spoiler:1512c0a944]

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    [spoiler:fb6b72a949]The part where his entire reality falls apart.[/spoiler:fb6b72a949]

I was talking about 100 Bullets.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    [spoiler:361d768454]The part where his entire reality falls apart.[/spoiler:361d768454]

That's every single issue.

It's not as good as The Invisibles, no, but I don't think it, or Grant Morrison himself, ever pretend to literary elitism. And it is, in fact, hella good. Fuckin' Commie death monkeys up in this piece.

The Cow on
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    I did like the covers.

So anyway. Emily Crowe.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    The Cow wrote:
    [spoiler:e1034a610b]The part where his entire reality falls apart.[/spoiler:e1034a610b]

That's every single issue.

It's not as good as The Invisibles, no, but I don't think it, or Grant Morrison himself, ever pretend to literary elitism. And it is, in fact, hella good. Fuckin' Commie death monkeys up in this piece.

I quite liked The Filth but it honestly often left me with a sickly feeling it was so mind-raping. I even managed to get a handle on the whole thing story and idea wise and I still keep it arms length as one of those comics I'm not sure I'd go through again. I am a huge Morrison whore however and have been curious about getting into The Invisibles. I hear it doesn't hold up quite as well after going through all the Matrix and similar stories though, still recommend? I just heard the new Doom Patrol trade with Flex's first appearance is on tap next. :o

I'm starting to wonder just what the mainstay supporting cast and villian of Desolation is going to be. All these fine women helping Jones out reek of the Filthy Assistants of Spider.

Antibodies on
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    Antibodies wrote:
    I am a huge Morrison whore however and have been curious about getting into The Invisibles. I hear it doesn't hold up quite as well after going through all the Matrix and similar stories though, still recommend?

Yes. You see, those stories came out before the Matrix films.

They aren't derivative, the films are.

Knob on
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    Knob wrote:
    Antibodies wrote:
    I am a huge Morrison whore however and have been curious about getting into The Invisibles. I hear it doesn't hold up quite as well after going through all the Matrix and similar stories though, still recommend?

Oh I'm well aware. That is why I say, will it feel like I've been through it all before? The whole "brain in a vat" story is growing tired and I still have a bit of catching up to do with Transmet trade wise. Because I loved the first few and my interest sort of waned and I'm going to try and finish it, so I wouldn't be getting to Invisibles until summer's end anyway.

Or will it be akin to Harry Potter ripping of The Books of Magic and be conceptually very similar but totally different in execution?

Antibodies on
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    Antibodies wrote:
    Knob wrote:
    Antibodies wrote:

Oh I'm well aware. That is why I say, will it feel like I've been through it all before? The whole "brain in a vat" story is growing tired and I still have a bit of catching up to do with Transmet trade wise. Because I loved the first few and my interest sort of waned and I'm going to try and finish it, so I wouldn't be getting to Invisibles until summer's end anyway.

Or will it be akin to Harry Potter ripping of The Books of Magic and be conceptually very similar but totally different in execution?

The Invisibles is so many times better than The Matrix that it's just stupid. The Wachowski's jacked the basic, most simplistic aspects of the philosophy from the first volume - Tom O' Bedlam's speech in Say You Want a Revolution! is ripped almost word for word and put into Agent Smith's mouth. On top of that, you know the part of The Matrix where Morpheus is being held by Agent Smith? Morpheus locked down in a chair and getting mindhacked has several shots that are almost panel for panel from the third trade.

And, while the Invisibles do, in fact, "wake" people up, it's not a lame Jack Chalker sci-fi WE ARE ALL DIGITAL MANIFESTATIONS sort of thing.

The Cow on
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    Who is Jack Chalker?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    Who is Jack Chalker?

This is eminently googleable, but, in brief:

Jack L. Chalker was a prolific sci-fi writer of the 70s, 80s, and 90s who wrote these great epics. His works are characterized by a very skimmable fantasy style, reality manipulation, and massive amounts of bizzare, very distressing pseudo-rape sex, that sort of thing. One of the pop-culture sources that The Matrix inarguably draws on is his late 80s/early 90s trilogy called The Wonderland Gambit. The essential question of the book is how can we know what we do and are is real, etc, etc. It turns out at the end that everyone is merely hibernating in an inescapable virtual reality simulation because they were fucking retarded or someshit and locked themselves in, and getting out would kill them, or something.

Suffice to say, there are some rather extensive parallels to The Matrix that are really amusing to come up against when you read the books.

The Cow on
  • Options
    MaladictMaladict Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Duddits wrote:
    #2 was great too. The artwork is just amazing. A very tender moment with Jones and Crowe too. I really appreciated the fact that [spoiler:7f04dfa05c] "please Jones stay with me" was just Jones holding her as she slept and not sex. [/spoiler:7f04dfa05c] Lesser, more unrefined writers would have jumped at that chance.
    [spoiler:7f04dfa05c]I think that she would absolutely leap at the chance to have sex with him. Jones, however, would feel like he was taking advantage of her.[/spoiler:7f04dfa05c]

Also,

[spoiler:7f04dfa05c]Isn't Jones' body horribly deformed and would likely turn her off?[/spoiler:7f04dfa05c]

I wanna know more about the Desolation Program and just what Jones is capable of doing. I mean, the attack he performed in #1 was pretty awesome, and the visions are cool.

I guess in time we will learn more :)

Maladict on
  • Options
    DudditsDuddits Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Maladict wrote:
    Duddits wrote:
    #2 was great too. The artwork is just amazing. A very tender moment with Jones and Crowe too. I really appreciated the fact that [spoiler:004382e383] "please Jones stay with me" was just Jones holding her as she slept and not sex. [/spoiler:004382e383] Lesser, more unrefined writers would have jumped at that chance.
    [spoiler:004382e383]I think that she would absolutely leap at the chance to have sex with him. Jones, however, would feel like he was taking advantage of her.[/spoiler:004382e383]

Also,

[spoiler:004382e383]Isn't Jones' body horribly deformed and would likely turn her off?[/spoiler:004382e383]

I wanna know more about the Desolation Program and just what Jones is capable of doing. I mean, the attack he performed in #1 was pretty awesome, and the visions are cool.

I guess in time we will learn more :)
    Considering her horrific loneliness, I really don't think she would mind.

Duddits on