As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I don't have a roof!

FuzzywhaleFuzzywhale Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I've recently made my way back to school in the Uk(Edinburgh), and upon arriving was told by roommates that I needed to move in a week as the two of them were peacing out. I wasn't able to find a place in time, so now i'm in trouble. However:

Someone in my research group has offered her box room for the next month or so, which is better than my backup plan(sleeping in my office). So a few questions:

1. I'm going to be here for at least two more years. Now that my friend has offered to help me out for a bit, Do I have a right to be fussy and try to find a long term place? For the Edinburgh people: I go to school in Riccarton and ideally wanted something in Haymarket or nearby.

2. All of my friends say use Gumtree. That's fine but is there anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks!

Fuzzywhale on

• SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    Staying in the Haymarket and having to fight the tide of commuters every day to get all the way out to Ricarton seems a bit counterproductive. I'd imagine flats that close to the centre of town won't be cheap either, although I'm not really up on rental costs here. I know someone who was trying to find a tenant for a flat down in Leith. But then...that's even further away from Riccarton. Also, it's Leith.

I would say you absolutely need to find somewhere else though. You don't want to over stay your welcome and box rooms aren't the nicest things to live in for a long period. Does it even have windows?

Gumtree should be good to check out, also www.espc.com naturally. Also put the word out on Facebook etc.

What's your budget?

I would also see if the student's association or Heriot-Watt itself can offer any assistance in finding new accommodation. Universities often have recommended lists of landlords etc.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • FuzzywhaleFuzzywhale Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    whoops. I meant to say: now that ive got somewhere at least for a little bit, can i be chosey with what im looking for?(I didn't mean to just give up and stay there). I was going to just jump on the first flat I found.

You are quite right there are many commuters in the morning but at least at 8am its been not so bad.
    The Box room has a window! At least its not a closet.
    I Guess my Budget is 350 max. Thanks for this link.
    Good idea ill stop by the accomodation office when it opens back up monday.

Fuzzywhale on
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I can't imagine it taking more than 2 weeks to find a nice place to live. So no, don't just jump on the first crummy place you find.

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I would also see if the student's association or Heriot-Watt itself can offer any assistance in finding new accommodation. Universities often have recommended lists of landlords etc.

I had something like this happen to me at University. Try speaking to the department that deals with Student Accomodation. They might have off-site accomodation that may have rooms going due to the distance from the University - students being lazy buggers and all.

The price is usually fairly competitive and transport isn't problem if you have a bike/car/bus-card or you don't mind walking. And since the university itself would be your landlord, you have less worries about getting shafted by a dodgy rental agreement/hard-to-get-hold-of-Landlord. I spent four years at university and the last three were in university run student accomodation. I didn't regret it one bit.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Make sure with the people you are staying with the longest they would like you there. This way you will not overstay your welcome.

Secondly they are doing you a favour, it would be wise to acknowledge this either by paying rent or doing the larger share of housework.

Blake T on
  • FuzzywhaleFuzzywhale Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    thanks everyone

i'll stop by my accomodation office tomorrow, and offer to do some chores for my friend

Fuzzywhale on