As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat]wipe

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Darths & Droids is the best comic.

No.

2009-10-02-beartato-richorhandsome.gif

Inquisitor on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Podly wrote: »
    MikeMan wrote: »
    matt it's a persistent world open ended MMO with

1) a COMPLETELY different leveling scheme to cookie cutter wow-clones
    2) completely different gameplay to wow-clones
    3) dynamic interactions where each enemy encounter is a team of actual players (cops and robbers style)
    4) shooting and splosions and skill-based combat

what about that is "same old" to you?

the nerds

They seem to ruin everything dont they.

Nice nightman sig/av btw

Thanks, it keeps me in a good mood so I try to post more often.

My buddy went to the live performance of the nightman cometh. He said it was the best moment of his life.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Jokerman wrote: »
    Ah this is a good [chat]....

So I keep kicking around these Ideas for a PMD in my head, but i have no idea how one would go about building something like that, or if it's even feasible. Otherwise, why hasn't everyone else just done it?

PMD?

Portable (or personal) media device.

Jokerman on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    seriously though

why hasn't anyone made a single-player create-your-own-superhero RPG with optional multiplayer?

i would play the shit out of that

Pony on
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    BobCesca wrote: »
    Passerbye wrote: »
    erm, ME from when I was about 12 and then various joint problems, and yeah, never really got over most of it.

Myalgic Encephalomyelitis?

yeah.

D: My cousin has that. I'm amazed you're pursuing a PhD considering your condition. Big kudos.

well, the worst of it was from when I was 12 till I was about 16. Then came about 9 years of horrific bi-polar (well, from ages 14-23) mixed with increasingly bad joint problems (mostly focused on my knees).

These days it's the joint problems that are the real kicker and my memory still isn't that great. The immune system has never fully recovered and I manage the bipolar without pills (finally) after having learnt to know the signs and deal with things as best I can.

My cousin was just diagnosed last year, after six months of his mom yelling at him to stop faking. His symptoms so far have been joint pain, worsening vision, and some memory problems. It's been pretty rough for him just dealing with this much.

Is there anything you'd recommend for him? His mom's still not being very supportive of him and I wish I could help more.

Passerbye on
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    seriously though

why hasn't anyone made a single-player create-your-own-superhero RPG with optional multiplayer?

i would play the shit out of that

Because it's easier to show off your fancy superhero in an MMO.

Sarksus on
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009

So I keep kicking around these Ideas for a PMD in my head, but i have no idea how one would go about building something like that, or if it's even feasible. Otherwise, why hasn't everyone else just done it?

PMD?

Sounds like an awesome hobby project!

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
    edited October 2009
    Oh quis, did i mention that passerbye thought that you were me, because i had your picture on my profile?

Good times!

Jokerman on
    edited October 2009
    I'm psyched about building my own first computer and I will need extensive googling to get it together - that's how techsmart I am.

Honk on
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

Dyr's been having fun reading through that one. It's pretty funny, especially if you've ever been in a relaxed DnD campaign.

Passerbye on
    edited October 2009
    Oh quis, did i mention that passerbye thought that you were me, because i had your picture on my profile?

Good times!

You are a tricksy, evil man!

Inquisitor on
    edited October 2009
    honestly

you just take a game like Saints Row 2 or inFamous or Spider-Man 2

and you let people create their own superhero

you make fucking huge money

throw in some co-op and vs. multiplayer

and you got a winner

Pony on
    edited October 2009

Dyr's been having fun reading through that one. It's pretty funny, especially if you've ever been in a relaxed DnD campaign.

I have not but I know all the lingo because I've read books.

Sarksus on
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    erm, ME from when I was about 12 and then various joint problems, and yeah, never really got over most of it.

Myalgic Encephalomyelitis?

yeah.

D: My cousin has that. I'm amazed you're pursuing a PhD considering your condition. Big kudos.

well, the worst of it was from when I was 12 till I was about 16. Then came about 9 years of horrific bi-polar (well, from ages 14-23) mixed with increasingly bad joint problems (mostly focused on my knees).

These days it's the joint problems that are the real kicker and my memory still isn't that great. The immune system has never fully recovered and I manage the bipolar without pills (finally) after having learnt to know the signs and deal with things as best I can.

My cousin was just diagnosed last year, after six months of his mom yelling at him to stop faking. His symptoms so far have been joint pain, worsening vision, and some memory problems. It's been pretty rough for him just dealing with this much.

Is there anything you'd recommend for him? His mom's still not being very supportive of him and I wish I could help more.

Honestly, I'm not sure. My family were extremely supportive (thank deity-of-you-choice, given that my GP tried to have me committed). There are several help organisations these days for chronic fatigue/ME, many of which I believe are accessible on the web (when I got ill the web was still Janet on my dad's computer :P).

The internets is probably your friend for this. Especially as there's still no diagnosis that isn't simply one of exclusion of all other possible interests.

BobCesca on
    edited October 2009
    Honk wrote: »

PMD?

What i'd like to do is throw together something, maybe with like some netbook parts, that could

A.) fit in my back or shirt pocket.
    B) have a nice touch screen and a D-Pad\Cross buttons Ala PSP
    C)have a decent screen that I could read comics and Ebooks with and watch movies
    D)Have a 1tb hd.

Jokerman on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    "wah wah wah i am going to judge this MMORPG by a ridiculous standard because it costs $15 a month! it costs more than other games, so i should be getting a totally unique gameplay experience!"

okay, fine

except, APB doesn't have a subscription fee.
    Actually all they've said is they haven't figured out a price and "payment model", just that it won't be the "traditional monthly subscription model". From the FAQ.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    edited October 2009

Good times!

You are a tricksy, evil man!

It's because the photo didn't show your lovely, flowing locks. With them combed back and tidied away I didn't recognize you.

Passerbye on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

PMD?

What would it do that a smartphone doesn't?

japan on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Holy fucking shit! This is the song that will play whenever I enter a room from now on. This song is SOOOOOO BAD ASS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=123HO6icL4M&feature=PlayList&p=32CE977F93C25D7C&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=64

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    edited October 2009
    It's because the photo didn't show your lovely, flowing locks. With them combed back and tidied away I didn't recognize you.

Oh my hair was just shorter then, like it is now.

My hair is very short right now.

Inquisitor on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    From David Jones' mouth -
    "Basically, you have to buy the client. It's a traditional game that you buy...We're not going the normal ‘you have to subscribe to play the game every month' route. What we haven't said is which route we are going, and in some respects we're still looking."

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    edited October 2009

PMD?

What i'd like to do is throw together something, maybe with like some netbook parts, that could

C)have a decent screen that I could read comics and Ebooks with and watch movies
    D)Have a 1tb hd.

Point D) will probably be most difficult :P

Honk on
    edited October 2009
    The internets is probably your friend for this. Especially as there's still no diagnosis that isn't simply one of exclusion of all other possible interests.

Ok, I'll look. Thank you.

Could I give him your contact info? His main problem seems to be that he just feels so damn alone, most of his life before the symptoms started revolved around sports so his whole life has changed.

Passerbye on
    edited October 2009

PMD?

D)Have a 1tb hd.

This is the closet you'll get probably: http://www.amazon.com/Archos-500-Internet-Tablet-Android/dp/B002NEGTOC

Sarksus on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Interesting. Apparently, 40% of Slayer's fan mail comes from US soldiers stationed abroad.

Tav on
    edited October 2009
    Tav wrote: »
    Interesting. Apparently, 40% of Slayer's fan mail comes from US soldiers stationed abroad.

Slayer should start a coup.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm psyched about building my own first computer and I will need extensive googling to get it together - that's how techsmart I am.
    It's really not that difficult.

Thanatos on
    edited October 2009
    "Basically, you have to buy the client. It's a traditional game that you buy...We're not going the normal ‘you have to subscribe to play the game every month' route. What we haven't said is which route we are going, and in some respects we're still looking."

Which means the game won't cost $15 a month.

What it does mean is they will probably have micro-transactions (an easy thing to pull off in a game like this, you just sell clothes or car designs or whatever for real money) or they will go the expansion pack release model, like GuildWars uses

or have other locked content behind micro-transcations, like DDO is using now

which, in any case, would be optional things you could just ignore if you didn't want to buy them.

so whining about a monthly subscription fee like the game has to "justify" it can take a hike

but, i continue to maintain you are an unpleasable whiner and at this point i challenge you to prove me wrong

Pony on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You need more than two soldiers in other countries to start a coup.

Thanatos on
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

I have not but I know all the lingo because I've read books.

Would you like to? Over the interwebs?

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
    edited October 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    You need more than two soldiers in other countries to start a coup.

hehehe i was gonna go with a joke like that

^5

also, good on you, Honk. I've been thinking about building a synthesizer once I get my finances in order.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

Ok, I'll look. Thank you.

Could I give him your contact info? His main problem seems to be that he just feels so damn alone, most of his life before the symptoms started revolved around sports so his whole life has changed.

yeah sure.

I was a competitive swimmer (and a good one) before I got ill so I understand that part).

BobCesca on
    edited October 2009

The difficult part is ensuring you buy components that will slot together.

Beyond that, you just need to common sense to figure out why two parts aren't fitting together, instead of applying force until they do.

japan on
    edited October 2009

PMD?

D)Have a 1tb hd.

This is the closet you'll get probably: http://www.amazon.com/Archos-500-Internet-Tablet-Android/dp/B002NEGTOC

That is dammed near perfect.

Jokerman on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Yes it is. You could die.

Elendil on
  • GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

I remember building one back a few years ago. Turned out samsung ram didn't go with the board I was using but once I got that corrected it was all pretty straightforward.

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
    edited October 2009
    I would read reviews for that device before you do anything. Devices that "do everything" usually have drawbacks.

Sarksus on
    edited October 2009

Oh my hair was just shorter then, like it is now.

My hair is very short right now.

But it was so pretty. Why??

Bob - Thank you very much.

Passerbye on
    edited October 2009

Which means the game won't cost $15 a month.

What it does mean is they will probably have micro-transactions (an easy thing to pull off in a game like this, you just sell clothes or car designs or whatever for real money) or they will go the expansion pack release model, like GuildWars uses

or have other locked content behind micro-transcations, like DDO is using now

which, in any case, would be optional things you could just ignore if you didn't want to buy them.

so whining about a monthly subscription fee like the game has to "justify" it can take a hike

but, i continue to maintain you are an unpleasable whiner and at this point i challenge you to prove me wrong
    I'm an unpleaseable whiner because I don't want to buy another game that does nothing new or original besides let me dress up my character, and am dissatisfied when the first video released of this apparently ground-breaking game is of how I can put tattoos on people? I'm perfectly happy with GTA4 and its multiplayer already, thanks.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    edited October 2009
    Elendil wrote: »

Yes it is. You could die.

Technically, this is true of every activity ever.

You could die taking a shower in the morning.

japan on
This discussion has been closed.