As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MiniPhalla] Antarctic Research Station - GAME OVER - FLAWLESS MAFIA VICTORY

• SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Final Day

"There he is! Get him!"

Boris Grishenko ran through the facility. He had managed to evade his pursuers for a full day, ever since he had first drawn the researchers' attention, but it looked like his luck was about to run out.

Backed into a corner, he confronted the assembled crowd. "You don't understand! The cold, none of you could understand the cold that was to come..."

Someone threw a book at him. "Shut up! You're the reason we've had so many die in the past couple days. If you hadn't stolen the heatpacks..."

Boris shook his head. "What then? There weren't many there to begin with. They n-needed to be...needed to be rationed."

Someone else stepped up and slugged him in the gut. "Rationed? Is that what you call it? All I see is someone selfish, who refused to use them on anyone but himself."

"W-what? I didn't know who else to give them to! There wasn't anyone better."

The crowd didn't believe him.

It was funny, thought kuhlmeye. The Janitor always thought he would freeze to death. Dreamed it, imagined it, feared it. The instability caused him to lose his last job early and, well, it was hard to find another one when all of your previous references were dead. The hazards of that line of work.

He was grateful that the corporation hired him, even if his enthusiasm was tempered by where they assigned him.

If he had the choice, would he have done it all over again?

Would it even have mattered?

Who knows?

The researcher with the bloody book left the scene late. The guards were still nowhere in sight. It was probably fortunate, as they had gotten rather unhinged ever since the crisis started.

Case in point, one bald, tattooed specimen in front of him wielding a shotgun. "You're pretty useless, so we're gonna use your intestines for warmth."

"W-what?" BLAM.

Mark Vincent stood over vagrant_winds's body, scratching his head. "Huh. Maybe I should stop thinking Playstation. Oh well, no one will miss him."

A voice whispered into his ear. "Yeah, probably."

No one missed Darian, the Chief of Security, either.

Kisaragi Jin approached the facility. The doors had been flung wide open, wrecked by some great force. Soon, he saw why. A giant of a man stood in the entry way, perhaps the cause. Drawing his sword, Jin launched himself forward on a sliver of ice.

Unfortunately for him, this was Iron Tager's story mode.

uean put the controller down. After the first couple scary days, he had decided to take it easy today and use the time to get 100% on his few remaining characters.

Time ticked by and, all by himself, he slowly...faded...away...

As the new day dawned, a group of researchers stood huddled in the basement, talking among themselves.

"Yesssssss, it is time for Mizore-sama's resurrection!"

The researcher to his left regarded him dispassionately, taking a sip from a bottle of Fanta. "Sure, whatever. None of us still know what you're talking about."

One motioned to two of the silent ones. "You two shouldn't be here. You were Big Name Researchers. Your absence..."

They looked at each other. "No one will notice."

The Dead:
    Darian - Mark Vincent, Chief of Security - Stabbed
    kuhlmeye - Boris Grishenko, Janitor - Mob Rule
    uean - Researcher - Hypothermia
    vagrant_winds - Researcher - Shot full of buck

The Victorious:
    B:L - Possessed Researcher
    FunkyWaltDogg - Possessed Researcher
    Houn - Possessed Researcher
    Orange Soda - Possessed Researcher
    psolms - Possessed Researcher

The Surviving:
    Infidel - Albert Wesker, Infiltrator - Faked his death. Wasn't able to capitalize on the researchers' efforts to flush out a specimen in order to capture one, but escapes the facility with data.

Alive, but not for long:
    Arivia - Researcher
    Dac Vin - Researcher
    dunedainjedi - William Birkin, Married Researcher
    Kay - Researcher
    Nocturne - Annette Birkin, Married Researcher

FLAWLESS MAFIA VICTORY.

Epilogue and postmortem to come.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Houn on
  • ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Muahahahaha

Zandracon on
  • EbfanEbfan Wimmy Wam Wam Wozzle! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wow...

Ebfan on
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You are wrote:
    ...Alec Gardiner, Quartermaster. You're a very detail oriented person. You love to make lists, spreadsheets, and complex databases of what's contained in supply. Unfortunately, you're a little TOO meticulous, so when the company wants to lose something, it's not as easy with you around. Hence why you're out here in the middle of bumfuck nowhere.

Abilities:
    Supply - You've given out everything you have to help people survive the cold. If you find some more supplies later, maybe you'll be able to help a few specific people.

Win Condition:
    End the quarantine by destroying the hidden menace.
    Looks like everyone thinks you're dead, a valiant hero to be remembered.

Just as planned.

In reality, you are really...

...Albert Wesker. Alec Gardiner was your cover identity. You're actually an operative for another division of the corporation and have been given certain...advantages. The experimental virus treatments you've underwent have given you a certain amount of superhuman resiliency, triggered by your death. You've been told that you'll develop some other abilities later but that's for another time.

The rival division wanted you to sabotage the research here, eliminate Edward Ashford, and steal any tangible results you could get your hands on.

Unfortunate for them, you have other ideas. Your own corporation, perhaps. Or something bigger...

Abilities:
    Fake Death - You are secretly still in the game.

Resiliency - One man alone won't put you down for the count. Not a normal human, at least.

Win Condition:
    Survive.

Damnit Spectrum.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    what

Dac Vin on
  • psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Team Big Name Game Theory!

Flawless victory!

psolms on
  • FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    fuck yeah super [strike]lucky[/strike] awesome victory

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So, I'm not a very good network head. Especially when we don't have a network.

Darian on
  • Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Awaiting Dunadumb's usual I PEGGED x AND y AS MAFIA routine.

Dac Vin on
    edited October 2009
    Darian, don't second guess your hunches!

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, I sent in a kill on OS yesterday. :(

Darian on
    edited October 2009
    Thoughts:

- Terrible village is terrible. Really, we didn't have to do much misdirection at all, just nudge a few ideas here and there.

- Darian, you should have called your kill night one, when there was still someone to network with.

- The Hypothermia mechanic was way too overpowered, but hella fun to watch.

Houn on
    edited October 2009
    Houn wrote: »
    Thoughts:

- Terrible village is terrible. Really, we didn't have to do much misdirection at all, just nudge a few ideas here and there.

- Darian, you should have called your kill night one, when there was still someone to network with.

- The Hypothermia mechanic was way too overpowered, but hella fun to watch.

Board game night; I don't get back home until after midnight.

Darian on
    edited October 2009
    Bad luck for your team, then.

Houn on
    edited October 2009
    Dac Vin wrote: »
    Awaiting Dunadumb's usual I PEGGED x AND y AS MAFIA routine.

Anyone who says they pegged B:L and/or Sunkist, I'll believe. Kay's analysis from earlier was kinda scary.

Too bad no one tried to vote out or vig either one...

FunkyWaltDogg on
    edited October 2009
    Obvious Houn is obvious. :lol:

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited October 2009
    Not obvious enough, it would seem, lol.

Houn on
    edited October 2009
    Also I blame my aspergers for wailing on vagrant_winds all day.

Dac Vin on
    edited October 2009
    no funky, its too risky to waste the vote and the vig this close to the end of the game...

sorry kay. :P

psolms on
    edited October 2009
    On the other hand, if Phalla gets reduced to "Vig reveals night one or else their team loses" as the only viable strategy, it becomes less fun.

Darian on
    edited October 2009
    I know Spec told me to wait before I whine, but I SERIOUSLY hope the hypothermia mechanic isn't what I think it is.

Dac Vin on
    edited October 2009
    i think it is what you think it is dac

psolms on
    edited October 2009
    psolms wrote: »

Yeah, Dac Vin slipped past uean there at the end, just before vote close. Seems pretty clear.

Darian on
    edited October 2009
    psolms wrote: »

Pretty much, it was hells of overpowered.

FunkyWaltDogg on
    edited October 2009
    Epilogue

The blond haired man walked into his safe house in Cape Town, not bothering to remove his trench coat or sunglasses.

He switched on the projector, which soon resolved itself in the form of five faces.

"Ooh, he returns! Did you bring us cake? You brought us cake, right?"

He swallowed a sigh. His superiors were...a little unstable at times.

The one wearing armor waved his sword towards the other's image. "Silence! Now, tell us, did you find what we are looking for?"

Wesker brandished a disk. "Yes, though with no help from any of you. I realize you had agents in place, but you weren't able to find a single researcher to replace."

One of them shrugged. "Unfortunate circumstances. One of the researchers that expired on the first day apparently had a history with the agent I wanted to send. Constantly thinks him evil. If I'd know she would bite it early, I might've sent him anyway."

Silent, Wesker ignored the responses from the others as he plugged in the disk, tapping in the commands for transfer.

"My final report has been attached as well. The facility is unrecoverable. I'd recommend skipping sending a team in and just destroying it."

He cut the connection, then walked into the adjacent room. Locking the door, he finally opened up the case he had carried all the way back from the Antarctic. Edward Ashford's final creation, a detector of sorts. This last experience was a bust, but perhaps he could use to find something...more suitable.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
    edited October 2009
    Oh, I would like to thank the masons for figuring that out and helping shield the rest of us... they were immune to the hypothermia (shared body heat) and left themselves at the bottom of the post list.

Darian on
    edited October 2009
    *narration*
    Houn wrote: »
    Great Zombie Jesus!!!

How many kills ARE there in this game? That was a bloodbath...

:lol:

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited October 2009
    Role Summary:

The village had...
    1x Vig
    1x Guard (who would have been able to guard OR vig if the vig had died first)
    1x Seer (who would have been able to seer AND heatpack if the heatpack guy had died first)
    1x Heatpack Distributor (+3 posts for the day to a single target)
    2x Masons (masons and shared a single post count for the day)

There was
    1x Neutral (steal 3 posts from someone, give to self. alternatively, give 1 post to self, 1 post to someone else.)

5x Mafia
    Group powers:
    1 targeted kill a night
    1 autokill on lowest poster that day, kills all posters in the event of a tie, last kill of the day and could trickle up if the lowest poster(s) were voted or vigged prior

Role PMs:
    Darian
    You are...

...Mark Vincent, Chief of Security. You're a badass motherfucker whose credo is "I end lives." Maybe a little *too* badass. After that unfortunate incident in front of the embassy with the nuns, you were deemed a little bit of an embarrassment for the company, hence why you find yourself out here in the ass end of nowhere. You had to do what you did, though. There were INSURGENTS.

At any rate, the rest of the facility is going to depend on you in order to make it out of this, so don't let them down!

Abilities:
    Weapons Training - You know how to use firearms

Items:
    Shotgun - Once per day, someone's going to get a face full of buckshot. Or a slug. Or some white phosphorous. Or maybe just clubbed in the back of the head. Y'know, whatever's handy.

Win Condition:

Ebfan
    You are...

...James Todd Smith, Deputy Chief of Security. You were formerly a SWAT Officer in LA until a few too many explosions cost the county money and you were let go. You were hired on by the corporation after that. Unfortunately, trouble continued to follow you, so you were eventually reassigned here. A necessary, but undesirable position. It wasn't your fault, though. There were TERRORISTS.

At least you can do some good here. You'll do your best to keep people alive in this mess and maybe you'll all make it out of here.

Abilities:
    Weapons Training - You know how to use firearms
    Bodyguard Training - Once per day, you're someone's shadow, watching their back, protecting them from direct threats. You may NOT self-guard.

Items:
    None right now. Maybe you should have given better thought to who you handed your weapon to!

Win Condition:

Gumpy:
    ...Edward Ashford, Head Researcher. Morals? Ethics? What are those? Your work for the company has been glorious, jump starting various biological research division and earning untold billions. You're the reason the company even has an outpost here, after you discovered something buried in the ice.

Unfortunately, it looks like you might have finally unearthed something that almost all of your scientific talents can't comprehend.

Almost.

Abilities:
    Plasmogenic Detector - Once per day, you will have enough reagent necessary to use this machine to scan one person and determine if they are still human. You'll remember their identity, too. You don't normally pay too much attention to the individual peons under you, but now's as good a time to start as any, right?

Win Condition:

dunedainjedi:
    ...William Birkin, Married Researcher. You've researched various controversial things for the corporation, but it seems like you've lost focus a bit ever since being married. You don't care, though, as your wife fills a hole in your life you didn't know you had. Even so, there is important work to be done and so, as one of the corporation's top researchers, here you are in Antarctica.

Abilities:
    Married - You are married to Annette Birkin, Nocturne. You are deeply in love with her and know that she hasn't changed since the incident, so you are confident in her innocence. In addition, you two share body heat at night. :winky:

Win Condition:

Nocturne:
    ...Annette Birkin, Married Researcher. You're a relatively new researcher to the corporation and aren't entirely sure if what they're doing is right. However, you're devoted to your husband, a fellow researcher whom you met on the job, and so you followed him here to the Antartic Research Station where important research awaited.

Abilities:
    Married - You are married to William Birkin, dunedainjedi. You are deeply in love with him and know that he hasn't changed since the incident, so you are confident in his innocence. In addition, you two share body heat at night. :winky:

Win Condition:

kuhlmeye:
    ...Boris Grishenko, Janitor. What? It's an important duty. You've got a bunch of eggheads in a remote research facility off to themselves. You think the toilets are going to clean themselves? Job's a job, but you didn't sign up for this.

Unfortunately, you have a pathological fear of being frozen. Whoops.

Abilities:
    Stolen Heatpacks - Unknown to anyone else, you had a spare key to supply. The moment the shit hit the fan, you broke in and stole all the heatpacks. You'd be damned if you were going to freeze to death! Unfortunately, you were kind of an idiot and wasted too many of them last night being nice, warm, and cozy. You don't have many left and are going to have to ration using them. It looks like this is serious, though, and people might die if you don't give those out.

Once per day, you may slip a heatpack into someone's bed, giving them a moderate heat boost that night. You MAY self-target with this ability.

Win Condition:

garroad_ran:
    ...Erik Prince, the Executive. You sit on the Board of Directors of the corporation, one of the movers and shakers of the world. Apparently they had just made a big discovery out here, so you flew out here to check. It was a big discovery, but also a potentially lethal one. You don't really care, though. You only care about the bottom line. And yourself.

Abilities:
    Jerkass - Screw these researchers, you're the important one around here! Once per day, you fiddle with the thermostats and leech a moderate amount of heat from someone. You steal heat for yourself. Alternatively, you may choose to share that heat with someone overnight (:winky:), but a small amount of the leeched heat will be lost to the air in doing so.

Win Condition:
    Survive.

You may attain a minor win if you share your heat with 4 people.

Mafia (beel, OS, FWD, Houn, psolms)
    ...a possessed researcher. Whoops. Yep, you've been taken over by a malevolent spirit of the ice from ELSEWHERE. Your goal is to usher in a new Age of Winter...eventually. For now, you'd like to wake up your boss. To do that, you'll need to take control of the facility.

The possessed researchers are B:L, FunkyWaltDogg, Houn, psolms, and Orange Soda.

As a group, you have the following powers:
    Ritual of Frost - The unnatural wintry conditions (and general electrical failures and anything else spooky going on) are your doing. Every night, you will automatically kill the person who has the least heat. Mechanically, this is the person with the lowest posts THAT DAY. In the event of a tie, multiple people will freeze to death. The post check and this kill are the LAST action every night, specifically after all other kills.

Possessed researchers are not immune to the cold. Stupid meatbag body. Furthermore, the ritual requires 2 researchers alive at the end of the night to function.

Stabbing - It's a stabbing. Do I really need to come up with something clever for this? You target one person a night and attempt to shank them.

Win Condition:
    Living possessed researchers must equal or outnumber all living, village-aligned players.

You may attain a minor win if 7 people freeze to death. Their deaths will keep you from collapsing back into quiescence like last time.

Infidel already posted his joke PMs, but for completion's sake:
    ...Alec Gardiner, Quartermaster. You're a very detail oriented person. You love to make lists, spreadsheets, and complex databases of what's contained in supply. Unfortunately, you're a little TOO meticulous, so when the company wants to lose something, it's not as easy with you around. Hence why you're out here in the middle of bumfuck nowhere.

Abilities:
    Supply - You've given out everything you have to help people survive the cold. If you find some more supplies later, maybe you'll be able to help a few specific people.

Win Condition:
    Looks like everyone thinks you're dead, a valiant hero to be remembered.

Just as planned.

In reality, you are really...

...Albert Wesker. Alec Gardiner was your cover identity. You're actually an operative for another division of the corporation and have been given certain...advantages. The experimental virus treatments you've underwent have given you a certain amount of superhuman resiliency, triggered by your death. You've been told that you'll develop some other abilities later but that's for another time.

The rival division wanted you to sabotage the research here, eliminate Edward Ashford, and steal any tangible results you could get your hands on.

Unfortunate for them, you have other ideas. Your own corporation, perhaps. Or something bigger...

Abilities:
    Fake Death - You are secretly still in the game.

Resiliency - One man alone won't put you down for the count. Not a normal human, at least.

Win Condition:
    Survive.
    (I stress again that this is still all a joke and Infidel was never in the game.)

Postmortem/design theory on the way.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Fatal3RR0RFatal3RR0R Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Thanks for running this spec.

This game actually gave me plenty of opportunities to be chatty for once.

And I thought the narrations were great.

Fatal3RR0R on
    peachip4sig.png
    edited October 2009
    Spreadsheet:
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tDphVqAtioerATNY64ItXVA&output=html

The eagle-eyed of you will spot why so many people died on Day 1. (Combine the low post counts with g_r giving Robos and himself an extra post, stir to tragedy)

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
    edited October 2009
    aha... well that explains that. thanks garrod for the awesome day 1 and the easy day 2 bandwagon.

psolms on
    edited October 2009
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Spreadsheet:
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tDphVqAtioerATNY64ItXVA&output=html

The eagle-eyed of you will spot why so many people died on Day 1. (Combine the low post counts with g_r giving Robos and himself an extra post, stir to tragedy)

ahahaha

I was wondering how that had happened

FunkyWaltDogg on
    edited October 2009
    That makes more sense. I just thought my math was off for the day one counts.

Houn on
  • kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wow, good job team evil. Also, really interesting concept with the votes providing heat and such. Fun game Spec.

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
    edited October 2009
    I enjoyed myself. I need to be on Team Evil more often.

Mwah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha....

Houn on
    edited October 2009
    Fun game, definitely. Thanks for running this, Spectrum, and well-played by team evil.

Darian on
    edited October 2009
    I am enjoying a victory popsicle. It is icy and delicious.

So, Spectrum, give us some info on the setting. What were the evils, anyway?

Houn on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Darian wrote: »
    Fun game, definitely. Thanks for running this, Spectrum, and well-played by team evil.

What made you ignore my list of EVIIILS? :P

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
This discussion has been closed.