As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SPLIT] a human nature blah blah blah tangent

LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher KingThe AcademyRegistered User regular
edited October 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
_J_ wrote: »
Roussau is the pimp of the Social Contract club. He's the best, Hobbes is the worst.

Seriously though, fuck Hobbes, right in his butt.

Hey, hey now.

No.

Hobbes is right.

Do I need to get nasty, brutish, and short up in here? Cus I will.

If you don't you'll need to provide an adequate argument for the existence of a social contract other than "implicit acceptance" and "bullshit".

There are some things that just aren't possible without society.

On the list of those things is not "being decent human beings"

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
"We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
LoserForHireX on

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009

Whence decency absent society?

_J_ on
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

Compassion. I believe it's a primal human impulse. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty certain that Hobbes is as well.

LoserForHireX on
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009

Compassion. I believe it's a primal human impulse. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty certain that Hobbes is as well.

hahaha fuck no

Rust on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Why would there be compassion without the socially indoctrinated compulsion to be compassionate so that others do not bash our skulls in with rocks?

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Why would there be compassion without the socially indoctrinated compulsion to be compassionate so that others do not bash our skulls in with rocks?

Uh...I don't think that it's a socially indoctrinated compulsion. I think it's basic human predisposition. I really don't think that the only thing that's holding me back from bashing people's heads in with rocks is because society says it's not okay.

LoserForHireX on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Uh...I don't think that it's a socially indoctrinated compulsion. I think it's basic human predisposition.

a fascinating argument

on the other hand, everything

Rust on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Uh...I don't think that it's a socially indoctrinated compulsion. I think it's basic human predisposition. I really don't think that the only thing that's holding me back from bashing people's heads in with rocks is because society says it's not okay.

Do you have any evidence to offer that human beings are basically predisposed to compassion; that the primary and fundamental human orientation is towards concern for their fellow man?

Because, you know,
    auschwitz-corpses.jpg

Don't click the spoiler if you are opposed to seeing a mass-grave.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Rust wrote: »

Uh...I don't think that it's a socially indoctrinated compulsion. I think it's basic human predisposition.

a fascinating argument

I don't even know what you're saying here. I'm sure it's dismissive and assholish, but I'm not quite sure what it is.

It's tough to argue about human predisposition since we can't really study it, there aren't any unsocialized people running around to look at. However, I think that it's reasonable to claim that the majority of people in the world are fairly decent. They likely don't go out of their way to harm others, though they may not go too far out of their way to help (espcially in large groups). I'm not claiming that everyone is a saint, all I'm saying is that there seems reason to believe that instinctually human beings possess some compassionate impulses.

As Mengzi puts it "who, when seeing a child about to fall down a well would not rush to save it?"

I am also by no means saying that human beings are not capable of great and huge atrocities. There are numerous and frequent environments that do their best to crush compassion. Without the proper encouragement the seed that is that primal compassion will not grow.

LoserForHireX on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hmm...I think whether or not compassion exists gets you into the whole "State of Nature" argument.

I kind of think to some degree to boils down to "I don't want people treating me like shit so I don't treat them like shit." Which could be said to be selfish thinking on a base level, but it can have positive results socially.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I actually think the fact that it takes a lot of social conditioning to get people to carry out things like the holocaust (and/or stanford prison experiments) is a pretty good argument that empathy is innate.

edit: also, that the "golden rule" has been a pretty universal social imperative going at least back to hammurabi implies that it comes from something innate

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    CleonicusCleonicus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Do you have any evidence to offer that human beings are basically predisposed to compassion; that the primary and fundamental human orientation is towards concern for their fellow man?

Because, you know,
    atlas_shrugged_cover.jpg

fix'd! And back on topic!

Cleonicus on
    Debate 'n' DeHockey team: Astronauts
  • Options
    edited October 2009

a fascinating argument

I don't even know what you're saying here. I'm sure it's dismissive and assholish, but I'm not quite sure what it is.

It's tough to argue about human predisposition since we can't really study it, there aren't any unsocialized people running around to look at. However, I think that it's reasonable to claim that the majority of people in the world are fairly decent. They likely don't go out of their way to harm others, though they may not go too far out of their way to help (espcially in large groups). I'm not claiming that everyone is a saint, all I'm saying is that there seems reason to believe that instinctually human beings possess some compassionate impulses.

As Mengzi puts it "who, when seeing a child about to fall down a well would not rush to save it?"

the answer: most people

"primal compassion" is a myth that even rousseau had to twist himself into a pretzel to try and prove

Rust on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

a fascinating argument

not really

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    However, I think that it's reasonable to claim that the majority of people in the world are fairly decent. They likely don't go out of their way to harm others, though they may not go too far out of their way to help (espcially in large groups). I'm not claiming that everyone is a saint, all I'm saying is that there seems reason to believe that instinctually human beings possess some compassionate impulses.

Your argument is that "People in society do not smash one another's brains with rocks. So, people, absent society, would not bash one another's brains with rocks."

Do you see how the evidence you cite is not pertinent to the discussion? i.e. the natural state of man?

If a bunch of people in a society do not kill people that says nothing about people outside society or pre-society.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

You're wrong

(these one line like 4 or so word answers aren't very helpful are they? do you have data? reasoning? something constructive to lend to the discussion?)

LoserForHireX on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    However, I think that it's reasonable to claim that the majority of people in the world are fairly decent. They likely don't go out of their way to harm others, though they may not go too far out of their way to help (espcially in large groups). I'm not claiming that everyone is a saint, all I'm saying is that there seems reason to believe that instinctually human beings possess some compassionate impulses.

Your argument is that "People in society do not smash one another's brains with rocks. So, people, absent society, would not bash one another's brains with rocks."

Do you see how the evidence you cite is not pertinent to the discussion? i.e. the natural state of man?

If a bunch of people in a society do not kill people that says nothing about people outside society or pre-society.

Please then, regale me with your observations of man in the "state of nature."

I don't think you have any, not any more than I do. I'm looking at what we have now, and trying to pare away all of the society as best I can. You have a fantastically cliche view of human nature that is based on...what exactly?

LoserForHireX on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

You're wrong

(these one line like 4 or so word answers aren't very helpful are they? do you have data? reasoning? something constructive to lend to the discussion?)

you're really not doing much better

Rust on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

I don't think you have any, not any more than I do. I'm looking at what we have now, and trying to pare away all of the society as best I can. You have a fantastically cliche view of human nature that is based on...what exactly?

That's a fair point.

I do not have access to man in the state of nature. You do not have access to man in the state of nature. So how, then, to discern man in the state of nature?

_J_ on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Shizumaru wrote: »
    Khavall wrote: »
    Yeah, the guy comes up with a way to get infinite free energy. And then other people think that such a discovery should be shared by the people instead of either restricted to only the rich or all the money flowing directly to this guy when he wants to sell it.

How dare those other people!

It was never stated that it should be held out to the highest bidder. But don't you think, that if you invented something of value, that you should be duly compensated for you time and energy and investment for such a thing? Should someone just willingly give away something for which they extended themselves for?

You have infinite free energy, you can get whatever you want, as can everybody else. That's why economics is the study of how limited resources are distributed.

Yeah, that's what struck me as terribly stupid about the whole thing. With infinite free energy Communism becomes not only viable but preferable.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

That's a fair point.

I do not have access to man in the state of nature. You do not have access to man in the state of nature. So how, then, to discern man in the state of nature?

The best we can from what man is like now. We look at man psychologically, we appeal to what science has to say on the subject. We see if that fits into a coherent picture. We try to avoid psycholgocal egoism because it's a no no (and because you don't want to hear me talk about psycholgical altruism, my pet counter theory). We learn about the way that socialization works and we use that knowledge to pare away the layers of it on the average person.

LoserForHireX on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

That's a fair point.

Studying the daily interactions of technologically primitive nomads who live in familial units is a pretty good start.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    We also observe empathetic behavior in the higher primates, among other animals.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2009

Being a 'decent human being' is a learned part of human interaction. I'm not sure you could get it without society, or even need it.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Elki wrote: »

Being a 'decent human being' is a learned part of human interaction. I'm not sure you could get it without society, or even need it.

Also, one need recognize that not all social beings are decent.

See Ayn Rand, for example.

_J_ on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, that's what struck me as terribly stupid about the whole thing. With infinite free energy Communism becomes not only viable but preferable.

People keep saying that libertarianism is similar to communism in the sense that both only sound good in theory.

I disagree with this notion, because it implies that libertarianism sounds as good in theory as communism would.

Even if the world of Atlas Shrugged was viable, that doesn't change the fact that all of the "heroes" are murderous assholes.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

That's a fair point.

Because humanity has not gone extinct?

If every human ever born had the innate desire to kill every other human, humanity would not last past 1 generation. You're being absurdly absolutist.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I am always amused by discussions about the "human state of nature", as though what we are now is somehow unnatural.

We are of this earth.. All that we have ever done has been within nature. We may like to think ourselves masters of the universe, but really all we are is beasts who can speak.

Evander on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Behemoth wrote: »

If every human ever born had the innate desire to kill every other human, humanity would not last past 1 generation. You're being absurdly absolutist.

I don't think that the idea was that people killed for the sake of killing. They kill for their own survival. i.e., you need food to survive. The guy next to you has an apple tree, but refuses to share. You decide to kill him for it.

People can remain civil when they feel relatively secure, then go batshit insane when their survival is threatened. Social order is good because it helps maintain a feeling of security, which will punish anyone who goes against it.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Evander wrote: »
    I am always amused by discussions about the "human state of nature", as though what we are now is somehow unnatural.

We are of this earth.. All that we have ever done has been within nature. We may like to think ourselves masters of the universe, but really all we are is beasts who can speak.

Ugh...this argument.

One can make the "Beavers build dams, persons build dams, whence the difference?" argument. I just...think it quite dishonest to think an amalgamation of cement, metal, and electronics is ontologically equal to sticks and mud.

Or, think of it as the organic / inorganic distinction. Do you maintain that organic milk and inorganic milk need be distinguished? Are organic honeycrisp apples the same as non-organic honeycrisp apples? One uses pesticide, the other does not. Well, hell, they're both apples, right?

It seems silly, to me, to collapse everything into "natural". Because, you know, atomic bombs, wifi, and cell phones.

_J_ on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Behemoth wrote: »

I don't think that the idea was that people killed for the sake of killing. They kill for their own survival. i.e., you need food to survive. The guy next to you has an apple tree, but refuses to share. You decide to kill him for it.

People can remain civil when they feel relatively secure, then go batshit insane when their survival is threatened. Social order is good because it helps maintain a feeling of security, which will punish anyone who goes against it.

So is the idea here that social order is not the result of human nature? That it is counter to it in some way?

Who imposed this order on us, then? Aliens? Mole-men?

When there is plenty of food because of, say, agriculture a society will arise where killing people to obtain food is not the optimal strategy for survival. You said that people act as they do to survive, and that is as true today as it has ever been, when the first humans lived in small family groups and the #1 cause of death was predators. It's just that the rules have changed, instead of gathering fruits you're supposed to have a job and wear clothes and not kill people.

But of course this is reductive as well. People do things for all sorts of reasons. If a man kills his philanderous wife, he has committed a crime against society, because we have tools to deal with situations like that that don't involve the death of a productive member of society. But he didn't pay attention to that, and he will be punished, possibly even killed himself. Were his action the interest of survival and survival only? What about when you post on this forum? Are you acting purely out of some long-lost survival instinct?

Saying that compassion isn't an innate instinct because people kill people sometimes is patently absurd. People are more complicated than that!

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    you know i find arguments over the "nature of man" sorta silly

what is the "natural man"? who, in this world, can be considered a man in his "natural state"?

every single human being on Earth belongs to some kind of society. nobody is just born from a pod in the ground like an Uruk-Hai or something.

if you are trying to argue what a human being is "really like" in the absence of societal influence, socialization, and upbringing, you first have to find a human being that has none of these things

except, no human being like that exists

even the most isolated Amazonian tribe or whatever has its own society, its own rules and culture and ways of keeping their people behaving in the way they think they should be

in order to observe whether a human being is truly, by "nature", compassionate or empathetic towards others you'd have to like... raise a child in a box, with robots. with the total absence of other human beings until you can be sure you've established a "natural state" as a control. you'd have to essentially raise a human being like a captive animal, depriving it of language, education, and any understanding that other people exist, because to do anything less you can still argue that their behavior is a product of their social structure and not a "natural" state. then, you'd introduce a human being and see how they'd react.

likely, they'd flip the fuck out, since devoid of any sort of socialization or observing other human beings, they'd have no frame of reference to understand the existence of another person. god knows what they'd do! humans generally react to confusion with fear and anger, so i can't imagine it will go well.

the reality is it's impossible to assess what a human's "natural state" is towards other humans. first of all, anyone who has studied neurology can tell you that many humans exhibit neurological processes that put them an entire world apart from others in terms of how they react towards other people (sociopaths, schizophrenics, and autistics, for example). second of all, as i pointed out earlier you can't really put a person in a "natural state", since that's a totally arbitrary definition and basically impossible to accomplish without artificially making a human being totally devoid of social influence by some insane experiment.

so, it's a ridiculous idea. all human beings are social animals. all. we are not entirely products of our environment (genetics and biology are also factors) but that environmental factor is basically impossible to remove. to try to say "devoid of all society and law, a human being will act like this..." because people like that do not exist. even taking a person from an existing society and placing them in a circumstance where their societal rules structure isn't applicable (Lord of the Flies deserted island type shit) doesn't tell you anything about their "natural state", it just tells you how a person of that society might react if suddenly taken from their existing framework. their behavior is reactionary, not "natural", so as an observation it's without merit.

it is important to study and understand how societal structures and social processes affect and shape human beings, and give them cause and justification for whatever action they choose to commit to. but the "human nature" argument is a fallacious one, because in order to have it you first need to have the "natural human" to compare to.

of course, if you believe in some kind of laughable Cartesian dualism, i'm sure you have some sort of screwball idea where the "Mind" has some enlightened inherent value or quality and that represents "human nature". that idea is absurd, of course, and even if you believe it you are essentially putting faith in something you can't prove that you believe exists

at that point you might as well say God makes people inherently good. it's about as logical or provable.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    every single human being on Earth belongs to some kind of society. nobody is just born from a pod in the ground like an Uruk-Hai or something.

So, you're a creationist?

The question is how society first came to be. If you argue there has always been society...well, that is quite odd.

_J_ on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2009
    So, where is this going? What do people without society do with their compassion? I mean, other than caring for the woodland critters.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    J, aren't you basically arguing that all humans are natural sociopaths, and our sociopathic urges are only restrained by society?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    What do people without society do with their compassion? I mean, other than caring for the woodland critters.

Well, I think the contention is that some argue that absent society there is no compassion.

Dyscord wrote: »
    J, aren't you basically arguing that all humans are natural sociopaths, and our sociopathic urges are only restrained by society?

Not "sociopaths" but, rather, "rationally self-interested agents". And our rational self-interest is restrained by society.

You have an apple.
    I want your apple.
    When you're asleep i'm going to smash your fucking head with a rock to get that apple.

That's the natural state of man absent society. Cause society gives me a way to get your apple without smashing your head. Or, better, society provides more apples which can be accessed absent head-smashing.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

The question is how society first came to be. If you argue there has always been society...well, that is quite odd.

No, J, once again you fail at reading comprehension and quote someone out of context to alter their argument to suit your purposes.

Fantastic!

But I'll engage you in this absurd topic, even though I know fully well ahead of time you're a Cartesian dualist and that much of what I am about to say is completely unintelligible to your way of seeing the world.

I said that human beings are part of societies. We are. We all are. Prior to that, evolutionarily speaking? We weren't human beings. We didn't have formal societies in the same way that we have societies now, but even the lowest mammals still have some level of social structure with each other.

If you want to take a step down on the evolutionary ladder and talk about pre-human hominids and sapiens, that's cool. I mean, those creatures no longer exist nowadays, so it's tough to observe them, but inferring what they might've been like from other simians to whom we are closely related or share common ancestors is pretty close!

So, let's look at apes. Chimpanzees and gorillas, for example, don't necessarily have "societies" in the same way humans use the word, but they still have social structures. They still have groupings, and rules. We can even observe the young of these apes being socialized and instructed by their parents and other elders in their community. I suppose it is possible to find out what a chimp's "natural state" is devoid of any sort of socialization with other chimps, as does happen when chimps are raised in captivity. However, it's also been observed that in the absence of other chimps to socialize with and learn from, chimpanzees will socialize themselves and adapt their behaviors to say, the human zookeepers they deal with on a regular basis. Monkey see, monkey do, and all that.

However, even then you are still socializing the animal, even if it's not in the way that is common for that creature. If you tried to raise a chimp in a box, devoid of all other animal life, I suppose it would be possible to figure out what it's "default" behavior is towards other creatures when you introduce them. Given what I know of zoology and chimpanzees in particular... I can't predict pleasant results.

Now, you could say at that point "See! It's natural state towards another living thing without socialization is to freak the fuck out and attack!" or whatever.

But that's hardly a natural state, is it? It's a state you had to inflict on them, and used it to essentially alter the animal's psychology essentially to support your argument. You're still, essentially, warping the creature by your societal influence on it, just not in a way it might be aware of.

It is impossible to divorce people from the influence of other people entirely, because it is essentially impossible for a human being to survive or come into existence in that way. We don't exist in a vacuum, nor did we come about in one. Even creating an elaborate experiment with a baby in order to figure out what a human's "nature" is, is inherently fallacious because in order for the experiment to function you have to forcibly remove a human being from what is their natural environment, and place them in an artificial assessment construct. Any "results" you attained from such an experiment would be tainted by the artificial nature of the experiment itself. In a way, it's almost like the observer effect: the act of trying to figure out man's "nature" essentially involves subjecting a man to an un-natural circumstance.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    What do people without society do with their compassion? I mean, other than caring for the woodland critters.

Well, I think the contention is that some argue that absent society there is no compassion.

Dyscord wrote: »

Not "sociopaths" but, rather, "rationally self-interested agents". And our rational self-interest is restrained by society.

You have an apple.
    I want your apple.
    When you're asleep i'm going to smash your fucking head with a rock to get that apple.

That's the natural state of man absent society. Cause society gives me a way to get your apple without smashing your head. Or, better, society provides more apples which can be accessed absent head-smashing.

Except there is no such thing as a man absent society.

They don't exist.

You're trying to argue some theoretical, non-existent thing that you can't even make exist if you try.

It's ridiculous.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I said that human beings are part of societies. We are. We all are. Prior to that, evolutionarily speaking? We weren't human beings. We didn't have formal societies in the same way that we have societies now, but even the lowest mammals still have some level of social structure with each other.

So both human beings and societies came to be at the same moment?

Upon what do you base this claim?

_J_ on
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Society has been around longer than humans, or anything human-like for that matter.

I think that's always-enough for this context.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Evander wrote: »

Ugh...this argument.

One can make the "Beavers build dams, persons build dams, whence the difference?" argument. I just...think it quite dishonest to think an amalgamation of cement, metal, and electronics is ontologically equal to sticks and mud.

Or, think of it as the organic / inorganic distinction. Do you maintain that organic milk and inorganic milk need be distinguished? Are organic honeycrisp apples the same as non-organic honeycrisp apples? One uses pesticide, the other does not. Well, hell, they're both apples, right?

It seems silly, to me, to collapse everything into "natural". Because, you know, atomic bombs, wifi, and cell phones.

inorganic milk" is not a thing, though. milk is organic, regardless of labels

this is what amuses me. there is absolutely a scale of how much we are able to manipulate nature to suit our own needs, but it is gradation, not some kind of binary "natural/not natural" proposition.

The whole concept is a holdover from the religious bullshit about god creating man seperately from the animals.

Evander on