As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Warhammer 40,000: Angels, Bugs, & Power-armored Hugs

• MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It was a bitch, but I converted magnetized Canis Wolf Born and a slew of arms for him. In a pinch, he can be just about anything I need him to be.

Now to convert a second model of him so it looks different. D:

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • paintvagrantpaintvagrant Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I just posted some pics, but it says a mod has to approve it or something

I don't know what you just tried to do, but all you need to do to post pictures is use image links.

Thats what I did. Ill try it again:

MM2.jpg
    DP_almost1.jpg
    DGfinished1.jpg

edit: must have had too many links in teh first one or something

paintvagrant on
    pvbanner.jpg
  • SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    God-damnit, now I have to be jealous in two forums.

SJ on
  • UnarmedOracleUnarmedOracle Evolution's Finest Hour Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    BRB, smashing everything I've ever painted with a hammer.

UnarmedOracle on
    signature.jpg
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh god now I really want to make an nurgle chaos army...thanks.

Inquisitor on
  • fallaxdracofallaxdraco Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Nax wrote: »
    So, I played a list that had 9 snipers and a heavy bolter. After 3 turns of firing everything at targets of opportunity, and managed nothing. The most productive round of shooting was when they moved down from their perch to fire pistols into Typhus and terminator squad. They killed a terminator and put a wound on Typhus. They charged and Typhus wounded himself with the Manreaper. Next assault phase, the scouts were wiped from the board.

I hate sniper scouts.

In my experience, any scouts not in a landspeeder storm are best used as wound counters for Telion. I like my missile launcher scout helping telion out, others swear by heavy bolters with hellfire rounds - but either way, none of the scouts will be as useful as telion will. Him taking out powerfist sargeants, commissars, and other key unit leaders people usually take for granted is EASILY worth the 125 points.

I usually take him with a Master of the forge(with conversion beamer, of course), give the scouts camo cloaks, and sit in a ruin with a 2+ base cover save for the unit. In about 10 games with this combo(I don't always take it, it's kind of expensive) I have NEVER lost that unit. They would actually die pretty easily to a strong CC unit, but the few times they've gotten to them at the back of the table, they've gotten unlucky on the difficult terrain rolls to get up to the higher floors of the ruin. :)

fallaxdraco on
  • Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Are camo cloaks really worth it for scouts? A cloaked scout costs the same number of points as a tactical marine. Since sniper rifles suck, is a +1 cover save worth all the other drawbacks?

Sunday_Assassin on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2009

Previous post approved. We just upgraded forum version and the anti-spam check on new users is kinda twitchy.

Echo on
  • TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    In my experience, any scouts not in a landspeeder storm are best used as wound counters for Telion. I like my missile launcher scout helping telion out, others swear by heavy bolters with hellfire rounds - but either way, none of the scouts will be as useful as telion will. Him taking out powerfist sargeants, commissars, and other key unit leaders people usually take for granted is EASILY worth the 125 points.

So would you say the Vindicare is easily worth its points?

TheBog on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    TheBog wrote: »

So would you say the Vindicare is easily worth its points?

No because Vindicare Assassins don't have 5 wounds and eternal warrior, nor can they simultaneously fire their sniper rifle and a heavy bolter. Also, precious Elite slot vs Troops does not help.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    BRB, smashing everything I've ever painted with a hammer.

I thought that too, then I considered the volume of my work and I'm perfectly happy with my quality over such a large number of models.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Captain ScurvyCaptain Scurvy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I just posted some pics, but it says a mod has to approve it or something

I don't know what you just tried to do, but all you need to do to post pictures is use image links.

MM2.jpg
    DP_almost1.jpg
    DGfinished1.jpg

Like i said his work is insanely good, and Altman me and vagrant go way back to highschool. He is actually the dude that got me into this hobby damn him!

Captain Scurvy on
    [Enter Witty Catch Phrase Here]
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    At least we know who to blame now. :P

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

MM2.jpg
    DP_almost1.jpg
    DGfinished1.jpg

I don't have a SA account, but I've been following your Plog on warseer. Excellent stuff!

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So Telion is awesome, I agree w/that sentiment but, how can I field him?

This brings up another point I was wondering about:

I see a lot of "special models/characters". Like Telion, or Master of the forge. They are not characters in the Space Wolves Dex, what's the ruling on that? Are they chapter specific? I don't want to Cheese it or be a dick and try to play models that are not allowed.

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    They're specific to the Space Marine codex, so you can't use them in a Space Wolves army since they have their own codex. You can make a Space Wolf list using the Marine codex and then take the characters, however.

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • FrowbakkFrowbakk Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    SJ wrote: »
    Asher wrote: »

Which you can't view unless you have a SA account.

Whoops, didn't know.

Didn't have to be rude.:x

Eh.... is it really worth the $10 to register? Does it need to be renewed every year?

Frowbakk on
    Your sig was too tall.
    edited October 2009
    altmann wrote: »
    So Telion is awesome, I agree w/that sentiment but, how can I field him?

This brings up another point I was wondering about:

I see a lot of "special models/characters". Like Telion, or Master of the forge. They are not characters in the Space Wolves Dex, what's the ruling on that? Are they chapter specific? I don't want to Cheese it or be a dick and try to play models that are not allowed.
    If you use the Space Wolves dex, you can't use the Marine dex. If you use the Marine dex, you can't use the Space Wolves dex.

The SW codex is stand alone now. Tellion is awesome, but you can't use him.

Matrias on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Frowbakk wrote: »
    Asher wrote: »

Which you can't view unless you have a SA account.

Whoops, didn't know.

Didn't have to be rude.:x

Eh.... is it really worth the $10 to register? Does it need to be renewed every year?

I've been considering it just to avoid the ads when I read the LP forum over there. Looking at the header, it seems to be a one-time fee, with additional fees you can pay for additional access (IE, avatars, PMs, Search etc...).
    You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining us 94,000+ Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

see317 on
  • Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Technically Telion is an Ultramarine, but you can still use him in other chapters by the letter of the law.

Except Space Wolves.

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Or Blood Angels, Dark Angels, and Black Templars.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • CounterspinCounterspin Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Discussing the ability to take special characters in terms of chapters seems hard to follow. The important thing is this. All of the units taken for your army need to come from the same book unless there is a rule in that book saying otherwise.

Counterspin on
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, we Space Wolves upgrade our new recruits to a tricky dude with a bomb in his chest.

Matrias on
  • Captain ScurvyCaptain Scurvy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Telion did it again for me last night, my opponent had a PF in his bzerk squad, ya telion blew his head off. He can miss as much as we wants as long as he puts that 1 round through the sarg's head.

Captain Scurvy on
    [Enter Witty Catch Phrase Here]
    edited October 2009
    Scurvy: I finally broke down and got a ten man w/telion, but I haven't been able to use him yet. I play versus eldar, so it seems like it will be awesome. Eldar might have it worse than chaos when it comes to sniping sergeants, since their sergeants get both the special weapons and the squad upgrades.

For everyone else, what do people think of the SW codex? At first I thought it was awesome, but then I hit a doldrum period when I decided it was just too much like CSM. Now I think I'm going to try to build something that focuses on the differences.

Lots of cheap bodies in the form of wolves, lots of cheap terminators, and then spend the savings on silly wolf related stuff, by which I mean Thunderwolf cavalry, gods help me. Maybe some wolf scouts. And also... maybe troops? Or maybe just bite the bullet and grab Ragnar.

Also, why do you have to pull (long, pointy, suspiciously large) teeth to get an invuln save on a SW HQ? If you're an assault army, don't you have more of a need for an invuln save, since assault allows you to get picked out? The current power armor invuln saves seems reversed. The shooty guys have the best invuln (CSM) and the the melee guys have none by default(SW) or a worse one (Chaos SM).

Counterspin on
    edited October 2009
    Scurvy: I finally broke down and got a ten man w/telion, but I haven't been able to use him yet. I play versus eldar, so it seems like it will be awesome. Eldar might have it worse than chaos when it comes to sniping sergeants, since their sergeants get both the special weapons and the squad upgrades.

For everyone else, what do people think of the SW codex? At first I thought it was awesome, but then I hit a doldrum period when I decided it was just too much like CSM. Now I think I'm going to try to build something that focuses on the differences.

Lots of cheap bodies in the form of wolves, lots of cheap terminators, and then spend the savings on silly wolf related stuff, by which I mean Thunderwolf cavalry, gods help me. Maybe some wolf scouts. And also... maybe troops? Or maybe just bite the bullet and grab Ragnar.

Also, why do you have to pull (long, pointy, suspiciously large) teeth to get an invuln save on a SW HQ? If you're an assault army, don't you have more of a need for an invuln save, since assault allows you to get picked out? The current power armor invuln saves seems reversed. The shooty guys have the best invuln (CSM) and the the melee guys have none by default(SW) or a worse one (Chaos SM).

Well, SW HQs can purchase Eternal Warrior. That is generally helpful.

But yeah, Storm Shields are expensive. Belts of Russ are a bit better. TW mounts with T5 help.

Matrias on
    edited October 2009

You have to pay the points for the Invul on your Wolf Lords because they have 4 attacks in their profile, and have access to a Str 5 and Str 6 power weapons that get additional attacks from having two weapons. You don't get to complain.

SJ on
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    storm shields ought to be expensive because they are ludicrous
    what, 10-15 points for a damn 3+ invulnerable save? eat a dick, Codex: Space Marines

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
    edited October 2009
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    storm shields ought to be expensive because they are ludicrous
    what, 10-15 points for a damn 3+ invulnerable save? eat a dick, Codex: Space Marines

Uhm, what? It's 15 points because you're turning a 4+ into a 3+ as opposed to turning NO invulnerable save into a 3+. There's a big difference.

SJ on
    edited October 2009
    SJ: Chill out, I'm tossing this stuff out to get a response from people like you, who are obviously more perceptive than me. Can you really stack frost blades up to S 6? Yikes.

But still

Captain+Relic blade 130pts- S 6 power weapon, 3 attacks base
    Wolf Lord + 2x Frost blade + Belt of Russ 175pts- S6 power weapons, 5 attack base

I was going to say gimme the Captain any day, but actually writing it out, 2 extra attacks is a big deal. Plus counterattack, frankly. I retract my bitching about invulns.

Edit: This just in ! Put that bad boy on a thunderwolf!
    Wolf Lord + 2x Frost blade + Belt of Russ +Thunderwolf 220 S7 power weapons 6 attack base T5

I suddenly feel like Canis is a chump.

Counterspin on
    edited October 2009
    You can't stack Frost Blades for S6, can you? I know you can give him a TW Mount with the blade to get the S6, though. And that gives you another attack in addition to the attack you can have with a pistol. So, um, 6 attacks. At S6. 7 if you charge\counter attack.

Matrias on
    edited October 2009
    SJ: Chill out, I'm tossing this stuff out to get a response from people like you, who are obviously more perceptive than me. Can you really stack frost blades up to S 6? Yikes.

Who's freaking out, exactly? I was just pointing out the obvious.

And the SW book doesn't say you can't, so. FB used to be a PW that granted Str 5 to the user, now it's a PW that gives +1 str to the user, so.

Oh and you can give that item to that Lord to make him hit everything in CC on 3+ too if you want.

SJ on
    edited October 2009
    Matrias : There's nothing in the frost blade listing that says it doesn't stack, having looked at it.

SJ: Once you're up to five or six attacks that particular piece of wargear looks better and better certainly. As for freaking out, I obviously interpreted the "you don't get to complain line" as several shades of meaning in the wrong direction. My fault entirely. Also, thanks for replying, being relatively new to 40k and entirely new to SW the FB thing was a powerful option I'd missed completely.

Counterspin on
    edited October 2009
    Any more than that though and you're getting into the 'ridiculously costed character' problem. Which I guess is fine in the context of Space Wolves, though.

SJ on
  • altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    By stacking, you mean adding 2 frostblades to one guy?
    That seems kinda cheese. I mean, really?

I just like the idea of lone wolves running around w/a stormshield and Mark of the Wulfen. That's a 3+ invuln, 2 wounds and D6+1 attacks in CC. With beastslayer.

Dude's just waiting to kill big stuff, or tie down units in CC.

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
    edited October 2009
    At least with that wolf lord I'm getting my money's worth statline wise. Without stacking strenth I still feel that the SW fighty characters are over costed. I'd rather the FBs cost more and the HQs start with the minimal chaos 5+ invuln. But even that's more of a personal preference thing.

Counterspin on
    edited October 2009
    To be honest, the character Counterspin described is more appealing to me then, say... Bjorn.

Matrias on
    edited October 2009
    Matrias: As a devout worshiper at the altar of the dreadnaught, I am saddened that my work has led you to that conclusion

*Looks around for watchers, finds none*

I too have my doubts about paying more than 250pts for a dread with standard armaments, regardless of WS/BS anything else.

OH GOD, WHERE DID ALL THESE DUDES IN RED ROBES COME FROM!

ARGGH!

Counterspin on
  • GahmriousGahmrious Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Can someone give me some insight on Ork Kommandos, and when they'd be useful?

Gahmrious on
    edited October 2009
    Gahmrious wrote: »
    Can someone give me some insight on Ork Kommandos, and when they'd be useful?

Use squads of at least 12, always buy two burnas, and a Nob with full kit, unless you're replacing him with snikrot. Really, kommandos are there to scare gunlines and take out artillery pieces. And if worse comes to worse and they have nothing like that to go after, they can be a late game reinforcement to hit a unit of marines or whatever from an unexpected corner. I love Kommandos.

I never infiltrate them, though. I always outflank.

SJ on