As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super[chat]ter

• Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »

I really hate the ones who just get their ideas of the Ren period from a goddamn fantasy novel though.

Yeah how dare they not have a true belief in their costume dress! Those charlatans!

Dude you're the last person who should be scolding someone for using a blanket statement. :P

Passerbye on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Derrick wrote: »
    All I've done for three days is stare at a monitor and watch someone steal repeatedly. I'm only halfway through the footage too. My brain is melting.

The same someone?
    Yeah. We're (we're being me) gathering evidence of every time he took money from a drawer. I'm up to 33 times over the span of 5 days at $20 a pop.

So you guys going to turn him over to the authorities?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Passerbye wrote: »
    I really hate the ones who just get their ideas of the Ren period from a goddamn fantasy novel though.

Ech, yeah. Unless it's a historical novel, then it's a little more tolerable. Still, I'd rather have someone who went directly to the histories.

It would be really nice to see Ren Faires that actually focused on what made the Ren special.

Usually people are instead trying to look like they're from the dark ages as depicted by Saturday Morning Cartoons.

Poop from windows?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    All I've done for three days is stare at a monitor and watch someone steal repeatedly. I'm only halfway through the footage too. My brain is melting.

The same someone?
    Yeah. We're (we're being me) gathering evidence of every time he took money from a drawer. I'm up to 33 times over the span of 5 days at $20 a pop.

So you guys going to turn him over to the authorities?

Time for a You Gon' Get Raped cake

Ludious on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Bama wrote: »

Yeah how dare they not have a true belief in their costume dress! Those charlatans!
    Many of them even bathe! pfaw, right, like you were nobility!

Actually the nobility most likely bathed less than the lower classes since they did less things to make themselves visibly dirty. Bathing too often was considered unhealthy as it stripped the body of 'natural essences'.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Who wants to dress like a bunch of sissy inventors?

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ludious wrote: »

Stylized "period" dress is much better. I PREFER the fantasy costumes.

I really do need to go to a Fantasy Faire.

I will have to bring a sturdy codpiece.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Dude you're the last person who should be scolding someone for using a blanket statement. :P

Well its more that who cares where they got their idea to dress oldschool as long as they fit in?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

The same someone?

Clip show. Benny Hill music. Make it happen. Show it in court.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Actually the nobility most likely bathed less than the lower classes since they did less things to make themselves visibly dirty. Bathing too often was considered unhealthy as it stripped the body of 'natural essences'.
    Even better. None of them should be bathing.

Bama on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Well its more that who cares where they got their idea to dress oldschool as long as they fit in?

Nerds eat their own.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    edited October 2009

o_O

I'm sorry that I don't care for Civil War reenactments to involve Cave Man Loincloths?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I've seen it happen. It's simple physics. That much force concentrated in a small area will punch through metal. End of story.

History disagrees with you. See example: Agincourt.

You are forgetting that plate mail was designed to deflect blows and not take them full on, that the armor did have some give to it for these reasons, that they used fluting to reinforce the armor without adding too much weight, that they wore padding underneath, etc.

I have a feeling what you saw might have been people shooting at shitty plate.

From what I gather of that battle the French troops were more hindered by the weight of their armor and fatigue(it was very muddy) than the actual archers.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

The same someone?

Clip show. Benny Hill music. Make it happen. Show it in court.

That music makes anything in fast speed funny

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

mmm

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009

It's about the effort involved, the love of the history, etc. If you're doing it just to fit in, you might as well only dress up for Halloween and spend your time handing out candy.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

o_O

I'm sorry that I don't care for Civil War reenactments to involve Cave Man Loincloths?

PBF209-Now_Showing.jpg

Bama on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

o_O

a Woman wearing a frilly true-to-life period piece vs a woman who sluts it up a little and makes it skimpier and more stylized is not the same as wearing a loincloth to a Civil War Reenactment.

Ludious on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

o_O

Most fantasy is around the right period though, so uhh yeah not even the same thing...

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited October 2009

o_O

PBF209-Now_Showing.jpg

Exactly.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

There's a reason most of the current 'pricey' perfumes first came out in Medieval times.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

It's about the effort involved, the love of the history, etc. If you're doing it just to fit in, you might as well only dress up for Halloween and spend your time handing out candy.

Ahh I get it so its about being better than them because you know things they don't. Enlightened.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I very amused at the idea that there are posers at ren faires that are just doing it to "fit in."

Bama on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I very amused at the idea that there are posers at ren faires that are just doing it to "fit in."

The Schadenfreudian in me is on the floor laughing like a hyena. I think he's going to die.

Ludious on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

o_O

PBF209-Now_Showing.jpg

hard to beat that.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Ahh I get it so its about being better than them because you know things they don't. Enlightened.

Your response is absurd.

One of the supposed purposes of a Ren Faire is to remove ignorance. They were not created, to my knowledge, with the intent to cause people who visit it to become less knowledgeable than they were when they bought their ticket.

There are events that ARE tailored specifically to BS versions of the middle ages. And they are cool because they tell you up front that everything you will learn is false.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2009
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I wish I knew people that played airsoft.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    tee-hee!

courage the cowardly dog is on

i love october!111

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Well, yes. The costumes and mannerisms (since these people also craft characters to act out at Ren fairs) of someone who puts time and effort into researching and making it are going to be better than those of someone who puts on a long skirt and a Hot Topic corset.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

I don't see the harm personally. I mean if you like the fantasy dress of your favorite novel, it's not like there are a lot of places you can go to be around others dressed the same. So is it such a sin to not know the history of it?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Thomamelas wrote: »

The same someone?

Ugh, I've done the sitting there part. It sucks.
    I'm lucky, the POS keeps a record of all the transactions he did, and he's consistent, he only steals $20's. So I just scroll through his list of transactions that were paid for with a $20, then check the video against the transaction's timestamp. The crap part is the playback software for our security system, it's awful. Freezes, locks up, won't convert and save the video. I have to re-start it every 3rd or 4th time.

t Preach - Yeah, calling the police as soon as I'm done cataloguing it all, then confronting him Monday when the owner's back from Germany.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Your response is absurd.

One of the supposed purposes of a Ren Faire is to remove ignorance. They were not created, to my knowledge, with the intent to cause people who visit it to become less knowledgeable than they were when they bought their ticket.

There are events that ARE tailored specifically to BS versions of the middle ages. And they are cool because they tell you up front that everything you will learn is false.
    Then how come they make all that booze, hmmm?

Yea, that's what I thought.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Your response is absurd.

Elitism is ridiculous in any format.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

This has been well documented in social psychology. In the absence of cool people, the next coolest person in the situation will become the coolest person. I think it is called conservation of nerdology or something.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Not knowing history is an unforgivable sin, yes.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Malkor wrote: »

This has been well documented in social psychology. In the absence of cool people, the next coolest person in the situation will become the coolest person. I think it is called conservation of nerdology or something.
    In the land of the dorks, the man with one friend is king.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Your response is absurd.

Elitism is ridiculous in any format.

As is spreading ignorance and defending ignorance.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Elldren wrote: »

Not as bad as letting women vote and own land though. God damn suffrage.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Elldren wrote: »
    One could even say those who don't remember history are doomed.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
This discussion has been closed.