As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Revenge of the Neighbours

FrugusFrugus PhotographerMontrealRegistered User regular
edited March 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm sure it has happened to you at some point - insane neighbors. The kind of adults that have been crapped out by their mothers and left in the gutter for rats to educate. I have a couple of drunken hicks who now live upstairs with a couple of rug rats and now there's a third or fourth on the way. I can't tell how many kids they have but that's not too important since I don't think they know the answer either.

They are loud, insanely loud. The children can do pretty much what they want all day like practice track running and bowling with anvils. They are obviously from some kind of religion where setting up a curfew for your infants is something considered evil, so this will go on and on until usually 11pm on a weeknight (I honestly think the oldest son is about seven years old). When it's not the kids that practice jumping in place for the sake of making my ceiling lamps flicker, the parents will turn on loud music to a point I can barely hear what I was watching on TV.

All other neighbors who requested some civility where welcomed with a drunken and aggressive man who told them to promptly fuck off since this was a free country (I am restraining myself from telling you many stories related to their aggressiveness). I would like to take that man up with his way of thinking and do a little bit of free willed action of my own by bugging the fuck out of these people. I am looking for straight out revenge here to which they won't be able to do much or even better - not figure out what's actually happening. They are obviously not the type to be reasoned with, so I won't even try to do so. Let me be clear on this - I want to fight fire with fire. I want to do something to which they won't feel there is much they can do in return save for bending over and taking it up the Borat Tunnel of Love.

Unfortunatly I have not imagination what so ever, so I was wondering if any PAers would have some devious ideas to share. I've been thinking about sending over all kinds of different authorities like child services and shit but somehow that seems a bit overboard. Obviously, this has to be legal. I am a man who follows the law to a T, and the last thing I want to happen is to get in trouble with the authorities.

Vital info:

- They WILL be moving out this summer, an so will we. Yes, we where mostly moving away because of them and we recently learned they where going away as well. We would have probably stayed if it where not for that.

- We live in Canada, Quebec province to be exact. Assume boring Canadian laws to come into play.

- Walls and ceiling are made out of paper.

- I will do something that goes against everything Sun Tzu has told us in his teachings, but I will assume that these people are really a bunch of dumb fucks that react to anything with violence or aggressiveness.

Desperate.

PS. Yes, I've finished writting this post in the wee hours of the morning. GUESS WHY I'M STILL UP.

Frugus Eggbeater
ufCl1ui.png
Frugus on

• Options
    GrimmGrimm Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Have you talked to your landlord about this? That should be your first step.

Grimm on
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    You can always respond in kind. You'd be amazed at how much drum solos annoy hungover people at 6am.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Frugus wrote: »
    I am looking for straight out revenge here to which they won't be able to do much or even better - not figure out what's actually happening. They are obviously not the type to be reasoned with, so I won't even try to do so. Let me be clear on this - I want to fight fire with fire. I want to do something to which they won't feel there is much they can do in return save for bending over and taking it up the Borat Tunnel of Love.

I'm sure I don't need to tell you that this is a stupid and unproductive idea.

If you want revenge, real revenge that actually benefits you and improve your living conditions, don't start a campaign of petty aggression. Instead, get the law on your side. There will be laws against noise disturbances.

Start off by making a log of all noises - time, duration, type of noise, how loud it was (using similies, unless you want to fork out for a proper meter) and why it was disturbing you (these can be seemingly petty reasons like I couldn't concentrate on American Idol properly, the authorities will understand).

If the noise is seriously impeding your ability to live normally - ie, preventing sleep - call the police (and be sure to add this to your log). If the noise starts up again after the police have left, call the police again. They won't stand for being called out more than a couple of times before they start confiscating equipment, if the occupier is drunk and aggressive, all the better.

Encourage your neighbours to do likewise. What you're doing here is building a case against the occupants, gathering a folio of evidence against them. If your logs corroborate other peoples logs, all the better. Copies of this evidence can be presented firstly to the landlord (if the occupants are renting) and then to the relevant authorities if the landlord doesn't do anything about it.

Lastly, have a dig around the internet to see if your city has any info on 'noisy neighbours', 'noise pollution', 'antisocial behaviour' or 'environmental health'. They may have a special department who will respond to complaints with proper monitoring equipment and the power to make on the spot fines, confiscate equipment and generally support your rights and case against the occupants.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    ^ Do what he says.

And failing that, assault his fuse box.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    ApolloTreatingYouApolloTreatingYou __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Land Lord
    Break his utilities
    Shit on Doorstep
    Throw your garbage on his doorstep
    Play your own music rediculously loud
    Pop their tires and break there windows
    Fuck their kids.

ApolloTreatingYou on
    no you cannot have a sig that size. especially with compression that crappy.
  • Options
    denihilistdenihilist Ancient and Mighty Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2007
    where - Where is the dictionary?
    were - Were you going to use the dictionary?

denihilist on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Man, just call the cops. They're moving out in a couple months, anyhow, so you're not going to get anywhere with eviction. Escalating things is just going to make things harder on you. If you get the cops over there enough, maybe you'll get lucky and the guy will take a swing at them.

Also, I remind everyone about the "no giving illegal advice in H/A rule." I'm reminding a couple of you with infractions.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Fuck their kids.

lol'ed

see if you cant somehow sneak in his apartment and top shelf him. this is shitting in the tank of his toliet bowl. takes people a while to figure it out and the smell isn't to be taken lightly. or a slab of raw steak. it will rot in about a week then start breaking apart and getting into the bowl itself. imagine using the bathroom to the smell of rancid meat without being able to figure it out.

it's deadly.

if this guy is truly hated maybe the super can help out. tircky though and breaking the law but worth it.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Seriously, guys, not joking about this "no illegal advice" shit.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    if you are me. if not, carry on.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
  • Options
    KingMooKingMoo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Seriously, guys, not joking about this "no illegal advice" shit.

I think he's trying to say that your thread is in the wrong forum

KingMoo on
    ![▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓]!
    !!!!▓▓▓▓▓Gravy?▓▓▓▓▓!!!!!!
    !!!!!!▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓!!!!!!!!!
    of doom
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If the noise is seriously impeding your ability to live normally - ie, preventing sleep - call the police (and be sure to add this to your log). If the noise starts up again after the police have left, call the police again. They won't stand for being called out more than a couple of times before they start confiscating equipment, if the occupier is drunk and aggressive, all the better.

Seriously, having the cops show up at their door simply cannot hurt, and is more than likely going to help. Either they cut the noise, verbally assault the cops, or proceed to threaten you at which points you can now call the cops for a "real" crime. Any way you slice it, you've nothing to lose by getting the authorities involved.

[EDIT:*snip*] Of course, I heartily recommend against this (and any other petty revenge tactics) because A) if it turns out whatever you try is illegal then you're fucked, as your actions were from malice rather than ignorance and B) they're moving soon, you're moving soon, and we're only talking about a couple more months of dealing with it.

So my advice in a nutshell: call the cops. If they can't/won't help, just fucking deal with it 'til summer. If you simply cannot manage that, make damn sure whatever crap you try to pull is legal...and while I hate to spoil the ending of this movie, pretty much anything you're likely to think of will probably be illegal.

EDIT: Hypothetical possibly legal but likely not petty revenge tactic removed, because this thread is fucking jailbait.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    My girlfriend had a similar problem and she finally called the cops. The cops showed up, told them to be quiet, and left. As the cops were walking away - the neighbors turned their music up again and told my girlfriend to go fuck herself. My girlfriend walked out, flagged down the cops again, they came back and harassed the shit out of the neighbors. Apparently the cops threatened to arrest the neighbors for 'disturbing the peace'.

Cops are great for this kind of shit.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    My girlfriend had a similar problem and she finally called the cops. The cops showed up, told them to be quiet, and left. As the cops were walking away - the neighbors turned their music up again and told my girlfriend to go fuck herself. My girlfriend walked out, flagged down the cops again, they came back and harassed the shit out of the neighbors. Apparently the cops threatened to arrest the neighbors for 'disturbing the peace'.

This is their job. 99% of the time, they have nothing better to be doing.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Seriously. We had a problem with some noisy-ass neighbors, and three visits from the cops in two days squared them away. I think part of it stems from social conditioning starting at an early age that tattling=bad. Calling the cops is not tattling...they're (likely) breaking the law, and infringing your inalienable rights to life, liberty, and a good night's fucking sleep.

It always helps too if the people involved are the kind cops will be predisposed to dislike...say, perpetually drunken rednecks or snotty college kids. Ours were the latter.

EDIT: Also, keep in mind that in shitty apartments often the "walking around" noise is unavoidable...but it sounds like you've got some wannabe pro-wrestlers and loud music going on, so you definitely have a valid complaint. Just remember that it'll probably not get completely quiet, as fat drunken hicks simply do not have the ability to walk softly.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    mcdermott wrote: »

Seriously. We had a problem with some noisy-ass neighbors, and three visits from the cops in two days squared them away. I think part of it stems from social conditioning starting at an early age that tattling=bad. Calling the cops is not tattling...they're (likely) breaking the law, and infringing your inalienable rights to life, liberty, and a good night's fucking sleep.

It always helps too if the people involved are the kind cops will be predisposed to dislike...say, perpetually drunken rednecks or snotty college kids. Ours were the latter.

EDIT: Also, keep in mind that in shitty apartments often the "walking around" noise is unavoidable...but it sounds like you've got some wannabe pro-wrestlers and loud music going on, so you definitely have a valid complaint. Just remember that it'll probably not get completely quiet, as fat drunken hicks simply do not have the ability to walk softly.

Yep. In our old apartment we had some folks below us who liked to throw parties at odd hours of the night. Very loud parties. I knew they smoked a lot of marijuana, but that was their business and for the most part I minded my own business.

I would go down there and ask him politely to turn it down, and usually they would. However, one night I go down there to ask him to turn it down, and he tells me to "fuck off" and slams the door. I noticed a nice haze of smoke coming from there, and it certainly wasn't Cigs in there.

I called the cops, got my lawn chair, and sat out on the patio waiting for the show. Needless to say, when the guy opened the door to tell me to Fuck off again, he was a bit surprised to see two cops. The cops were a bit pleased at seeing a bunch of drugs in plain site.

End result: Guy and friends were arrested, and later evicted. Never saw them again.

Like Than said, they usually have nothing better to do working the graveyard shift. And most cops that I've met particularly love to deal with loud people.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I am not going to do anything illegal or anything that is remotely doubtful. I will ignore any suggestions that revolve around illegal acts. I'm just looking for something witty, subtle but most of all, effective. The cops thing is definitely the logical and productive solution, but I would love to see other alternatives. I would not be surprised if they where the kind of people who would take a dump on your welcome carpet, but I'm not going to stupe down to their level.

As for their activities, the twist is that this is an old building with very little sound proofing. You can't call the cops because children are running around an apartment or because the guy chooses to ignore civility by listening to stuff beyond the average volume level. They are just down right ignorant and territorial with no care in the world for the common interest of all other neighbors. They are very loud yes, but honestly I think calling the cops would be overkill, yet it feels like they are very close to the limit. The only clear illegal thing they have done up to now was to verbally harass complainers.

The Landlord has been advised, mostly by all the people who did not renew their lease (two tenants where long lasting ones). He also noticed how hard it was to get new tenants to our particular spot because every time he came around with visitors, the upstairs neighbors would do their thing.

People have complained to the neighbors (I am far from being the only one in the building with a problem with these people), results have been scary.

Seems that for some reason, complaints that have been sent by others to more official channels have never been answered. Lack of balls? I would not be surprised (guilty as charged). Administrative Clog? I would not be surprised.

They are leaving within three months, any process undertaken would be futile at this point.

They WILL get away with everything they have done. I just don't want to exit the building with a score of 0.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    They WILL get away with everything they have done. I just don't want to exit the appartment with a score of 0.

Welcome to being a grownup. You'd have been wiser to stay in the apartment and work through other "official" channels (such as the police) until eventually they left (which obviously they are now doing). Trying to "get back at them" now is just petty and more than a little childish.

In the adult world, ending up with a positive score in a situation like this s generally accomplished by getting people dragged down to your local police station. Anything else is likely to either backfire or simply be ignored by them. Now you know for next time.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    You can't call the cops because children are running around an apartment or because the guy chooses to ignore civility by listening to stuff beyond the average volume level.

Oh yes you can.
    They are leaving within three months, any process undertaken would be futile at this point.

How about three months good night sleep? How about three months of you and your neighbours not being terrified of an aggressive drunk?
    They WILL get away with everything they have done. I just don't want to exit the building with a score of 0.

That's ridiculous. I know exactely how you feel because I went through it last year and I was having the exact same thoughts as you. But it's still ridiculous. Get your 'net on, figure out the specifics of the law in Canada and leverage it. You'll get a lot more satisfaction from inflicting the law on your neighbour and doing your other neighbours a service in the process than anything else you could conceive. There's no point in profitless revenge, if you are going to take action, take action that provides gains for yourself - peace, appreciation of your neighbours, improved quality of life.

I know your tired and frustrated, but don't be a jerk.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    You can't call the cops because children are running around an apartment or because the guy chooses to ignore civility by listening to stuff beyond the average volume level.

Oh yes you can.

Actually, the children running around might be more difficult to stop...but the loud music/TV can almost certainly be brought to an end.

How about three months good night sleep? How about three months of you and your neighbours not being terrified of an aggressive drunk?
    Seriously. Or how about getting something on this guy's record so when he pulls this crap as his next apartment it's that much easier for his new neighbors to deal with it. This is doubly so if he actually threatens people who confront him...I imagine such things aren't taken that much less seriously up there than down here.
    You'll get a lot more satisfaction from inflicting the law on your neighbour and doing your other neighbours a service in the process than anything else you could conceive.

So true. Additionally, as I mentioned any actions you take now may actually leave a paper trail that future neighbors can use. You simply annoying them does no good the second either one of you move out.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    the guy asked fire with fire questions not these pussy call the cops moves. i'd post something else but i'd get bammed. don't call the cops no real man does that shit. you confront him face to face or you, as you say, fight fire with fire.
    if he gets attacks with you B$$$ in his s$$$$ with a ****ing ^^^^ &&&n. self defensive (NOT ILLEGAL)

cops. sheesh. yall must be from the suburbs.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm just shutting this down. It's a stupid thread that's only going to attract more stupid. Also this is not the forum where we facilitate being an obnoxious prick. Christ, especially if they're just going to leave soon.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
This discussion has been closed.