As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer 40,000: Angels, Bugs, & Power-armored Hugs

• Options
    Mystery.ShadowMystery.Shadow Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    BEST White Dwarf Story EVER!

A kid walks into a BookStore and asks "Do you have the latest White Dwarf Magazine?"
    The Clerk replies "What is White Dwarf?"

The kid answers "It's a Game Magazine"
    The Clerk comments "We DO NOT sell GAY Magazines!!"

The kid then tries to explain "It's not a GAY Magazine, it's a GAME Magazine!"
    The Clerk looks puzzled....

The kid then tries to explain further "It's a Magazine with pictures of Boys playing with Model Men."
    The Clerk yells "GET OUT OF HERE YOU LITTLE PERVERT!!"

Morale of the story, pick your words carefully. The public is listening...

Mystery.Shadow on
    WARNING! MMO Addiction can Prevent Long-Term Employment, a Meaningful Relationship, and Financial Independence. When's the Next Raid?

I Spent 90% of my Money on Women and Warhammer. The Rest I Wasted.
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

A kid walks into a BookStore and asks "Do you have the latest White Dwarf Magazine?"

The kid then tries to explain further "It's a Magazine with pictures of Boys playing with Model Men."

Is this meant to be a joke? Did this really happen?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    UnarmedOracleUnarmedOracle Evolution's Finest Hour Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ein will be the Patrick Stewart of this playthrough.

I'm the HWP, aren't I?

Ein just became a Captain, and yes you are indeed carrying a Missile Launcher. I don't know why though since your action points are terrible. Anyway back to 40k.

I look forward to the day when a Chrysalid lays eggs in my belly and I wipe out an entire section.

UnarmedOracle on
    signature.jpg
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Is this meant to be a joke? Did this really happen?

Shit has happened to me like that since apparently I have a borderline lisp. And also like to dress fancy/flamboyant every so often, which leads people to thinking I like to partake of man love.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I dunno if that's the kinda thing you afmit on the internet, leaf :)

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Question:

Is there a such thing as a "twin linked bolter"? Reason I ask is that yesterday i played a chaos guy with 2 twin linked bolters on his rhinos which in theory would allow him to double tap for a total of 4 shots within 12" and re roll failed hits.

As opposed to a storm bolter which would just be 4 shots.

Cheese or allowed?

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Chaos does not carry stormbolters. They duck tape two bolters side by side, which plays out as being TLed. Like Imperial Rhinos and their stormbolters, theirs can carry two of them.
    Nax wrote: »
    You're right.. I had them outfitted far differently when I first starting tooling around with the squad, and forgot to change it as the idea progressed :P

I have that same problem with messing around with Tyranid units :P

Edit: For another 15 I can just give them all Hard Wired Multi-Trackers and the problem is solved :P
    How solved though? You can now fire both guns, but it's still a very expensive unit. What is it going to achieve in a game that is going to justify that cost?

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    paintvagrantpaintvagrant Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    altmann wrote: »
    PV, I bet you're just itching to paint Canis aren't you?

Don't make me do it, because I might. Then you'll have to show everyone on the SA forum.

Haha, Ill have to charge a "this model makes me laugh so hard I cant paint" surcharge of $4000 on top of the painting fees

paintvagrant on
    pvbanner.jpg
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This might be of interest to you; Fantasy Flight Games has recently released a Warhammer-themed board game called Chaos in the Old World. We're starting up a pbp game of it right now, and the host has invited spectators to come in and heckle.

Darian on
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Question:

Is there a such thing as a "twin linked bolter"? Reason I ask is that yesterday i played a chaos guy with 2 twin linked bolters on his rhinos which in theory would allow him to double tap for a total of 4 shots within 12" and re roll failed hits.

Cheese or allowed?

Chaos don't have storm bolters, they have twin linked ones in their place.

Less shots at range then an SB, but yeah, they can re-roll their to-hit.

Space Marine bikes have twin linked bolters, so you have them too.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Matrias wrote: »
    Question:

Cheese or allowed?

Chaos don't have storm bolters, they have twin linked ones in their place.

Less range then an SB, but yeah, they can re-roll their to-hit.

Space Marine bikes have twin linked bolters, so you have them too.

Ahh, ok. It seemed odd i guess but I don't know the Chaos codex.

Also, I tried to find the profile for a thunder hammer but I can't find stats in the rule book or my codex, i just see special rules for if it hits. It reduces a model to initiative 1 and results in a crew shaken result, but what are the stats for it if any?

altmann on

signature.png
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It's a power fist. The rules are in the BRB IIRC.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    fallaxdracofallaxdraco Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Question:

Cheese or allowed?

If he had 2 twinlinked bolters, he would get a total of 2 shots that are twinlinked. Not 4. 1 Twinlinked shot per twinlinked bolter - and each rhino should have 1 twinlinked bolter(that happens to look like 2 bolters.) Confusing, I know.

fallaxdraco on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dear 40k thread,

I have the sad duty to report that trooper SJ of the XCom base was killed in the line of duty. It should be reassuring to know that he took about six plasma shots to the face and point blank range before going down as he breached an alien space ship. However his sacrifice allowed Sgt Alqadim to reach over and rip the alien's throat out with his bare hands.

He is morned by us all.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited October 2009
    Question:

Cheese or allowed?

If he had 2 twinlinked bolters, he would get a total of 2 shots that are twinlinked. Not 4. 1 Twinlinked shot per twinlinked bolter - and each rhino should have 1 twinlinked bolter(that happens to look like 2 bolters.) Confusing, I know.

You can also take a second TL Bolter, which is where the extra two shots came from.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Question:

Cheese or allowed?

He said in 12", which is rapid fire range, which is 4 total shots re-rolling missed hits

e: assuming 2 TL bolters

paintvagrant on
    pvbanner.jpg
  • Options
    CounterspinCounterspin Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    2 twin linked bolters can produce 4 shots if they're rapid firing. 2 shots for rapid x 2 guns = 4 shots.

Edit: Ninja'd but good.

Counterspin on
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

You see that you god damn Space Marine thieves? That's an assault cannon. We had them on our god damn sentinels till you stole them.

Good lord spork youve got some pent up rage toward your brother space marines.

Bolter envy ;)

The last time I was in someone's X-Com play through (SynthOrange's) I ended up helping to man one of the research bases. This meant I didn't see any action and survived for the whole campaign. I demand to die gloriously against the xenos scum!

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dayspring wrote: »

You see that you god damn Space Marine thieves? That's an assault cannon. We had them on our god damn sentinels till you stole them.

Good lord spork youve got some pent up rage toward your brother space marines.

Bolter envy ;)

The last time I was in someone's X-Com play through (SynthOrange's) I ended up helping to man one of the research bases. This meant I didn't see any action and survived for the whole campaign. I demand to die gloriously against the xenos scum!

Oh you are in the front lines I can tell you that.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited October 2009
    Awesome.
    I don't think I ever played the first X-com. I was a terror from the deep kind of guy.

Dayspring on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Maybe I'll see more action than I do in my plane? :P

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    So I've got to finish my 5 skyclaws, then it's on to my two independent characters (a wolf guard and a Captain).

After that, I need armored transports. RHINO TIME!

Barring buying an airbrush, what's the best way to paint these without lines?

altmann on

signature.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Raslin wrote: »

Well, you shot some things. Mainly walls with your laser pistol.:P Right now Dayspring is on top of the kill chart with 3 kills, and Inquisitor and Gabe are tied with 2.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited October 2009
    8-)

Dayspring on
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dear 40k thread,

I have the sad duty to report that trooper SJ of the XCom base was killed in the line of duty. It should be reassuring to know that he took about six plasma shots to the face and point blank range before going down as he breached an alien space ship. However his sacrifice allowed Sgt Alqadim to reach over and rip the alien's throat out with his bare hands.

He is morned by us all.

It's 'cuz I play Orks. That's what we do.

e: you're gonna be remaking me with someone, right?

SJ on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    SJ wrote: »
    Dear 40k thread,

He is morned by us all.

Yeah, at some point once I run through everyone.

I was doing really good just now until I had the smart idea to breach the wall of a ufo with high explosives. PVT. Mystery.Shadow misjudged the amount needed and killed himself, SGT. Captain Scurvy, and half of Bravo squad. I'm reloading that because it was BS. The resultant firefight between the two surviving squad members of Bravo and the fifty sectoids inside was pretty epic. Shots flying every which way though that breach.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Raslin wrote: »

Well, you shot some things. Mainly walls with your laser pistol.:P Right now Dayspring is on top of the kill chart with 3 kills, and Inquisitor and Gabe are tied with 2.

Woot, take that walls

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The various conversations sorta blasted past my earlier post, but I would like to hear from people a little more familiar with the SW and the rules so I'll give it one more go. Are wolf lords on thunderwolves using a powerfist S 9 (thunderwolf is like a frost blade or furious charge and goes on after the doubling) or S10 (thunderwolf is not a weapon effect and is thus on all the time. Profile strength essentially 5). I can see arguments both ways, and you can see them too cause they're in the brackets. What do people think?

Counterspin on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The various conversations sorta blasted past my earlier post, but I would like to hear from people a little more familiar with the SW and the rules so I'll give it one more go. Are wolf lords on thunderwolves using a powerfist S 9 (thunderwolf is like a frost blade or furious charge and goes on after the doubling) or S10 (thunderwolf is not a weapon effect and is thus on all the time. Profile strength essentially 5). I can see arguments both ways, and you can see them too cause they're in the brackets. What do people think?
    Going with S9. After some discussion with the local 40k gurus, it was agreed the wolf lords on mounts don't actually get the same range of benefits as the cavalry dudes get. Namely, no true S5 or T5.

I wouldn't waste S6 I5 opportunities on a fist, though. Frost Blade!

Matrias on
  • Options
    afeil117afeil117 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So, I have now gotten to the point where I know feel as though I have done a disservice to my army if I don't get all my Rhino's Forgeworld doors/extra armor. God, I hate GW in their stupid faces.

afeil117 on
    Rocko Is NOT Amused!
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    But if you go with the fist you can get to 9 while saving a bundle of points. Yes the I drop is huge. But I think the core build I like now is-
    Powerfist
    Storm Shield
    Thunderwolf

You drop to I 1 and lose an attack, but you don't need to take a belt, and get an improved invuln and 2/3 points of strength out of the deal. The new core is only 200 pts, at a saving of 30 pts. 15% cheaper, and still a beast, and even better at some things.

Note on the thunderwolf thing. Thunderwolf cavalry are true T5, unlike plague marines, which are 4(5), which I think supports S10. Of course the incorrect usage of the parenthetical stat changes is one of my biggest beefs with GW, so who the hell knows what they mean.

Note on the wolftooth necklace: They had to FAQ Kharn to prevent the easy hitting of vehicles with just this sort of effect, but they have no memory.

Counterspin on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    What's the advantage of S9? Killing vehicles? I'm not totally hip on whether it's good to stack that stuff or not.

altmann on

signature.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Well, you wound a carnifex on 2s, for instance. Only monstrous creatures and vehicles care. Though it also allows you to instagib T4 characters, which stacking 2xfrostblade and thunderwolf doesn't. Also, auto penetrating AV 10 is something I've found super useful about dreadnaught close combat weapons. 9 is almost as good.

Counterspin on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    S9 doesn't add much, but it makes your life a little bit easier. 1/6 easier.

Also, it means you're punching with the force of a lascannon.

Edit: Counterspin, I'm still reluctant about it, because I think for the points you're better off getting a lord with a frost axe, and have him ride the chap or two of Thunderwolf Cav. Give one of the riders a storm shield and thunderhammer. You still have a stupid number of attacks (5 on the charge), and they're coming in at S10.

Matrias on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    This just in, Gabriel Pitt is fucking Immortal. He got shot, went unconscious, then it told me he bleed out and died, but now he's sitting in sickbay wounded. Also Raslin died. :(

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This just in, Gabriel Pitt is fucking Immortal. He got shot, went unconscious, then it told me he bleed out and died, but now he's sitting in sickbay wounded. Also Raslin died. :(
    Shit! He's a Mysteron Clone: Kick him out an airlock before he explodes!

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Captain ScurvyCaptain Scurvy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    SJ wrote: »
    Dear 40k thread,

He is morned by us all.

Yeah, at some point once I run through everyone.

I was doing really good just now until I had the smart idea to breach the wall of a ufo with high explosives. PVT. Mystery.Shadow misjudged the amount needed and killed himself, SGT. Captain Scurvy, and half of Bravo squad. I'm reloading that because it was BS. The resultant firefight between the two surviving squad members of Bravo and the fifty sectoids inside was pretty epic. Shots flying every which way though that breach.

Sweet time warp FTW and saving my life!

Captain Scurvy on
    [Enter Witty Catch Phrase Here]
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    paintvagrant on
    pvbanner.jpg
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This battle report is just too awesome.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

All the xcom games are on steam for $15 as well. Just started another landing and everyone got off the ramp fine, then a shot from fucking no where just missing about six guys in front and blows Ein's head off. I reloaded because that shit just does not fly.

Also someone needs to make a 40k mod for this.

Librarian's ghost on