As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Afrika

167891012»

• Options
    CobellCobell Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »
    IGN's review was.... not kind. They gave it a 3.5.

Did they cite no boobies or explosions as the reason why? O.o

No. Awful graphics and robotic animals for a game about roaming open Savannah looking at animals. And taking over 1 minute to save a game.

He also spends an entire paragraph in the review how the animals don't kill you (you just wake up in base camp) or that you can't run over animals in the car. I have to say clearly this guy is an idiot. This is an E for everyone photography game. Of course, you can't kill the animals. Of course, they won't show you getting trampled to death...

Cobell on
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Why don't they give you an awesome shotgun to fight lions with 'n shit?

Jesus. I love games like this. I liked Endless Ocean, for god's sakes. Stuff like this makes me hate reviewers; at least Ebert knows to rate something on its own merits.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2009
    Why don't they give you an awesome shotgun to fight lions with 'n shit?

Jesus. I love games like this. I liked Endless Ocean, for god's sakes. Stuff like this makes me hate reviewers; at least Ebert knows to rate something on its own merits.

Of course, they DID handle certain things poorly in this game.

Why does the car just stop when you hit an animal? It would have been better if they took control away from you and swerved you out of the way when you are about to make an impact, followed by a "whew, that was close" text message somewhere on screen.

They also could have fixed the horrible clipping issues of the terrain and the vehicle.

The gameplay itself is what it is, and it is perfectly adequate for a game of this type. But they did take very lazy ways out in a few areas.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So what is this game actually about? An african safari? Poaching?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So what is this game actually about? An african safari? Poaching?

Taking photos of animals in Africa with Sony digital cameras.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    BroktuneBroktune Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Cobell wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »
    IGN's review was.... not kind. They gave it a 3.5.

Did they cite no boobies or explosions as the reason why? O.o

No. Awful graphics and robotic animals for a game about roaming open Savannah looking at animals. And taking over 1 minute to save a game.

He also spends an entire paragraph in the review how the animals don't kill you (you just wake up in base camp) or that you can't run over animals in the car. I have to say clearly this guy is an idiot. This is an E for everyone photography game. Of course, you can't kill the animals. Of course, they won't show you getting trampled to death...

I think the reviewer was just giving an example of how disconnected the player is from the world. I was also pretty upset when I got too close to a lion, he charged two steps and the next thing I know, the game puts me back at base camp.

I listened to people giving this game glowing reviews, imported it from Play Asia and have played it an hour total. I guess I was expecting an area at least the size of the one in FarCry 2 where I could just explore and watch animals in their natural habitat. It's nothing like that. I unfortunately agree with the IGN review.

Broktune on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I still really want this but chose to go for Demon's Souls instead. When I have some spare cash I intend to pick this and Aquanauts Holiday up.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Picked this up Tuesday. So far I'm really loving it, I just really hate not having an inverted Y function. Chasing down the first 'Big Game' hunt was pretty cool, and I just realized I can take vertical photographs by turning the controller sideways. Also, the amount of movement the PS3 controller picks up, the shakier the picture. As a real-life photographer, I found this really neat.

I also bought Pokemon Span for the Wii a few days ago as well. I keep scanning the safari for Pokemon.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It has become apparent I am the only person who owns this game.

It's still a lot of fun though, and worth a rental if you like slower paced games.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I popped this in again the other day after not playing it for a while. (played a LOT back when I got it, but still hadn't made it to night shoots yet)

The game becomes stupid, in a way, if all you do is drive around. It's when you get out into it, and TRY to get the best shots. Then it becomes something so much more.

I've had this and Aquanaut's Holiday for quite a while, and AH is gorgeous. I played through the "main quest" I guess you'd call it, and figured that was it...it's not.:wink:

They are the perfect games to have in a collection for those days you just feel like relaxing through a game. (imo)

Scotty on