Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Aion] Is Now Completely Free To Play. 3.0 Is Now Live.

1246753

Posts

  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fandyien wrote: »
    So, Chanter at 16 is pretty awesome. I can solo anything. My problem is, I have a tough time main healing in groups while still debuffing and meleeing; in situations where I am MH, I assume I should just stand back and cleric it up?

    That's generally what I do. If I'm attacking at all it's auto-attack. Alot of our damage is dependant on combos that are almost impossible to get through before you have to toss another heal, so it's not really worth it.

    steam_sig.png
  • AddaAdda Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    plus casting breaks auto attack so I normally cant be arsed if I have to main heal a group.

    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fandyien wrote: »
    So, Chanter at 16 is pretty awesome. I can solo anything. My problem is, I have a tough time main healing in groups while still debuffing and meleeing; in situations where I am MH, I assume I should just stand back and cleric it up?

    You won't be able to main heal for very long, and get used to that fact. As a chanter soon your only applicable healing role WILL be backup heals- you simply won't have the power any longer. What you should be practicing as much as you can is buffing in mid-combat and being able to back out of combat or switch to a healing mode in mid-combat when your main healing cleric is losing his grip.

    Trust me when I say this, your heals are just NOT big enough to do the job yourself. But if you can watch your party's bars while you DPS, you're going to maximize your potential in 3 areas, instead of being suboptimal in 2.

  • ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Shit, I can tank stuff on my chanter, and have done so several times. Just bust out my mace and shield, let the mob do a little damage to me and heal myself a bit before anyone starts attacking, and make sure to keep focused parry up.

    Also, if I'm main healing at all, I spam my 1 direct heal till the tank is mostly full, then drop at least 1 chain on the mob, sometimes 2 for the debuffs, then start spam healing again. I Also keep the long duration HoT on the tank and use my healing mantra to get every little bit of healing out that i can.

    It's too bad the magic boost mantra doesn't boost healing.

  • SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So mmo newbie question, regarding pick-up groups- I play a templar, so as tank (I've only ever played healerish classes before), am I the defacto leader when it comes to pulling mobs? Because seriously, half the time its like herding cats; people just sort of wander around aimlessly until somebody pulls something more or less by accident. Is it cool to just go into one of these things and take command?

    On one hand, I know Im still a newb, so its all blind leading the blind and shit. On the other, seldom is there any sense of organization and forward progress. On the other, I don't want to be the bossy jackass that comes in guns blazing. So as you can see, I have too many hands. Is there an ettiquette there?

    Edcrab wrote: »
    "See," said Lucifer, "God's an asshole."
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sarcastro wrote: »
    So mmo newbie question, regarding pick-up groups- I play a templar, so as tank (I've only ever played healerish classes before), am I the defacto leader when it comes to pulling mobs? Because seriously, half the time its like herding cats; people just sort of wander around aimlessly until somebody pulls something more or less by accident. Is it cool to just go into one of these things and take command?

    On one hand, I know Im still a newb, so its all blind leading the blind and shit. On the other, seldom is there any sense of organization and forward progress. On the other, I don't want to be the bossy jackass that comes in guns blazing. So as you can see, I have too many hands. Is there an ettiquette there?

    Yes. Feel free to say "make me leader, I'll pull." Bind your brands to hotkeys on your keyboard, use them a LOT. If you need a ranged pull, tell someone else to do it and be ready, but assert yourself. PUGs are unbearable without a leader figure.

  • EnderEnder Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    As a player knowledgable in grouping and the places we are in (namely Krall), let me tell you that trying to herd a tank that won't take control of a group and pulling is nail-in-dick frustrating.

    Nothing wrong with not knowing every little thing about a place you're in, but tanks really need to assert a level of command when grouping. Check your healer's mana, then just pull. If the dps ain't ready, that's really their issue. Sorcs are the only possible exception, if you're using them for CC.

    eahenryii wrote: »

    i've resorted to reading your posts in William Shatner's voice.

    I am now using the Christopher Walken voice.
  • MeepZeroMeepZero Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Rend wrote: »
    Sarcastro wrote: »
    So mmo newbie question, regarding pick-up groups- I play a templar, so as tank (I've only ever played healerish classes before), am I the defacto leader when it comes to pulling mobs? Because seriously, half the time its like herding cats; people just sort of wander around aimlessly until somebody pulls something more or less by accident. Is it cool to just go into one of these things and take command?

    On one hand, I know Im still a newb, so its all blind leading the blind and shit. On the other, seldom is there any sense of organization and forward progress. On the other, I don't want to be the bossy jackass that comes in guns blazing. So as you can see, I have too many hands. Is there an ettiquette there?

    Yes. Feel free to say "make me leader, I'll pull." Bind your brands to hotkeys on your keyboard, use them a LOT. If you need a ranged pull, tell someone else to do it and be ready, but assert yourself. PUGs are unbearable without a leader figure.

    Also, another handy tip. Keep an eye out for people that know how to ranged pull. If they don't, then try to come up with a way around it. 9 pubbies out of 10 will claim they know how to ranged pull and not have a clue on the process.

    Aprjs.png
    sig.jpg
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    MeepZero wrote: »
    Rend wrote: »
    Sarcastro wrote: »
    So mmo newbie question, regarding pick-up groups- I play a templar, so as tank (I've only ever played healerish classes before), am I the defacto leader when it comes to pulling mobs? Because seriously, half the time its like herding cats; people just sort of wander around aimlessly until somebody pulls something more or less by accident. Is it cool to just go into one of these things and take command?

    On one hand, I know Im still a newb, so its all blind leading the blind and shit. On the other, seldom is there any sense of organization and forward progress. On the other, I don't want to be the bossy jackass that comes in guns blazing. So as you can see, I have too many hands. Is there an ettiquette there?

    Yes. Feel free to say "make me leader, I'll pull." Bind your brands to hotkeys on your keyboard, use them a LOT. If you need a ranged pull, tell someone else to do it and be ready, but assert yourself. PUGs are unbearable without a leader figure.

    Also, another handy tip. Keep an eye out for people that know how to ranged pull. If they don't, then try to come up with a way around it. 9 pubbies out of 10 will claim they know how to ranged pull and not have a clue on the process.

    "I attack it and then it pulls. Right?"

  • CubemonkeyCubemonkey Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    When my Elyos glad was 19 (22 now) I was trying to finish up some of the Krall quests that Spatalos keeps giving out.

    I happened to join a group with good people, and a 19 templar named Blazing. We had a good mix of DPS, heals, and tank, so we headed out.

    I soon noticed that our tank was using a greatsword, and asked him why. When he finally responded, he asked "What should I be doing?" As a result, I spent the entire Tursin Outpost/Garrison slog trying to explain what aggro is, how to keep squishies safe, etc.

    Unfortunately he was just an idiot, and I eventually took over tanking/pulling and we were fine.

    Now I'm in a guild called "Mostly Harmless," which is full of mature players that seem to enjoy Douglas Adams :)

    Stahl - 50 Sage - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship
  • SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Rend wrote: »
    MeepZero wrote: »
    Rend wrote: »
    Sarcastro wrote: »
    So mmo newbie question, regarding pick-up groups- I play a templar, so as tank (I've only ever played healerish classes before), am I the defacto leader when it comes to pulling mobs? Because seriously, half the time its like herding cats; people just sort of wander around aimlessly until somebody pulls something more or less by accident. Is it cool to just go into one of these things and take command?

    On one hand, I know Im still a newb, so its all blind leading the blind and shit. On the other, seldom is there any sense of organization and forward progress. On the other, I don't want to be the bossy jackass that comes in guns blazing. So as you can see, I have too many hands. Is there an ettiquette there?

    Yes. Feel free to say "make me leader, I'll pull." Bind your brands to hotkeys on your keyboard, use them a LOT. If you need a ranged pull, tell someone else to do it and be ready, but assert yourself. PUGs are unbearable without a leader figure.

    Also, another handy tip. Keep an eye out for people that know how to ranged pull. If they don't, then try to come up with a way around it. 9 pubbies out of 10 will claim they know how to ranged pull and not have a clue on the process.

    "I attack it and then it pulls. Right?"

    ummm... so like, I guess there's more to it? Or are you just referring to keeping pulls one at a time, avoiding group mobs (when one gets alerted another follows), making sure everyone is ready, etc?

    Edcrab wrote: »
    "See," said Lucifer, "God's an asshole."
  • FingerSlutFingerSlut __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2009
    Aion0002.jpg

    5 year old content

    WoWScrnShot_091609_164318.jpg

    Very well, I shall take you to heaven, before I take you to hell.
  • AistanAistan Mr. Cellophane Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Because a screenshot of the ground is totally comparable to a giant boss dragon, ok.

    steam_sig.png
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I was like: "Cool, a screenshot?"

    Now I know what it was for! But yeah, that's a completely unfair comparison. If you want to juxtapose the graphics, at least choose reasonably similar conditions for the shots.

  • FingerSlutFingerSlut __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2009
    Aistan wrote: »
    Because a screenshot of the ground is totally comparable to a giant boss dragon, ok.

    Well its 5 years old, it shouldnt matter right?

    Very well, I shall take you to heaven, before I take you to hell.
  • CubemonkeyCubemonkey Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    FingerSlut, post pics comparing the players models :)

    Stahl - 50 Sage - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship
  • FingerSlutFingerSlut __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2009
    Aion0001.jpg

    Couldnt resist!

    WoWScrnShot_042809_214253.jpg

    Very well, I shall take you to heaven, before I take you to hell.
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    FingerSlut wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »
    Because a screenshot of the ground is totally comparable to a giant boss dragon, ok.

    Well its 5 years old, it shouldnt matter right?

    Are you trying to assert anything based on that the best of WoW is better than the worst of Aion? If you want to make claims about WoW having better graphics, comparable graphics, competitive graphics, superior graphics, or even WORSE graphics, and you want to put them next to each other as proof of your claim, you can't do that.

    [EDIT] I see we're about to fix this! Excellent!

  • bejeavisbejeavis Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Your original position was that WOTLK can sit at the same lunch table as Aion in the MMO graphics lunchroom. That is somewhat debatable. Pictures of vanilla content is an entirely different matter however. I would advise you choose your battles carefully.

  • ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Here's a good comparison shot to that wow dragon:
    Spoiler:
    spoilered for H-rape.

    I think Aion wins?

  • FingerSlutFingerSlut __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2009
    bejeavis wrote: »
    Your original position was that WOTLK can sit at the same lunch table as Aion in the MMO graphics lunchroom. That is somewhat debatable. Pictures of vanilla content is an entirely different matter however. I would advise you choose your battles carefully.

    LOL I obliterated it with not content from the current expansion, but the orginal old game...

    Very well, I shall take you to heaven, before I take you to hell.
  • FingerSlutFingerSlut __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2009
    Here's a good comparison shot to that wow dragon:
    Spoiler:


    Very nice models indeed,which I already conceeded. Look at the ground though.

    Very well, I shall take you to heaven, before I take you to hell.
  • ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I still think the ground looks better in Aion. Not WAAAY better, but better nonetheless.

    I mena, at least it has bump mapping, and somewhat real-time shading.

  • FingerSlutFingerSlut __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2009
    Someone got a downtown vista of Aion, lets see that!

    Very well, I shall take you to heaven, before I take you to hell.
  • ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Arrgh. This constant high ping is annoying. I dont think I've gotten blow 700ms yet, and it leads to constant rubberbanding. My connection is capable of 50ms.. this is terrible..

  • FingerSlutFingerSlut __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2009
    Shurakai wrote: »
    Arrgh. This constant high ping is annoying. I dont I've gotten blow 700ms yet, and it leads to constant rubberbanding. My connection is capable of 50ms.. this is terrible..

    Check your firewall dude, and did you select a server in your "area"?

    Very well, I shall take you to heaven, before I take you to hell.
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    FingerSlut wrote: »
    Shurakai wrote: »
    Arrgh. This constant high ping is annoying. I dont I've gotten blow 700ms yet, and it leads to constant rubberbanding. My connection is capable of 50ms.. this is terrible..

    Check your firewall dude, and did you select a server in your "area"?

    the servers are all physically located in the same place

    WII U NNID- talios
    steam-taliosfalcon
    XBL-AdeptPenguin
  • StratoStrato Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fandyien wrote: »
    So, Chanter at 16 is pretty awesome. I can solo anything. My problem is, I have a tough time main healing in groups while still debuffing and meleeing

    Friggin spoiled Chanters :P

  • FingerSlutFingerSlut __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2009
    FingerSlut wrote: »
    Shurakai wrote: »
    Arrgh. This constant high ping is annoying. I dont I've gotten blow 700ms yet, and it leads to constant rubberbanding. My connection is capable of 50ms.. this is terrible..

    Check your firewall dude, and did you select a server in your "area"?

    the servers are all physically located in the same place

    ...thats confusing

    http://aionstatus.com/

    Very well, I shall take you to heaven, before I take you to hell.
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    FingerSlut wrote: »
    FingerSlut wrote: »
    Shurakai wrote: »
    Arrgh. This constant high ping is annoying. I dont I've gotten blow 700ms yet, and it leads to constant rubberbanding. My connection is capable of 50ms.. this is terrible..

    Check your firewall dude, and did you select a server in your "area"?

    the servers are all physically located in the same place

    ...thats confusing

    http://aionstatus.com/

    I'm not sure what you're getting at here? That the European and NA servers are in different places? Ok, but since an NA copy can't play on the european servers and vice versa no matter what copy you bought, the servers are all in the same place

    WII U NNID- talios
    steam-taliosfalcon
    XBL-AdeptPenguin
  • ExistentialSoundandFuryExistentialSoundandFury Registered User
    edited October 2009
    I'm fairly certain the 'Coast' is only meant to relate to server times with regards to Abyss raid times. It really makes perfect sense to have all your servers physically in one location. Truthfully, the performance difference by having multiple data centers would be minimal at best (and extremely costly for them compared to a single site with maybe a spare as a fail-over). Especially if they locate them centrally in the US.

    399831.jpg
  • FingerSlutFingerSlut __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2009
    FingerSlut wrote: »
    FingerSlut wrote: »
    Shurakai wrote: »
    Arrgh. This constant high ping is annoying. I dont I've gotten blow 700ms yet, and it leads to constant rubberbanding. My connection is capable of 50ms.. this is terrible..

    Check your firewall dude, and did you select a server in your "area"?

    the servers are all physically located in the same place

    ...thats confusing

    http://aionstatus.com/

    I'm not sure what you're getting at here? That the European and NA servers are in different places? Ok, but since an NA copy can't play on the european servers and vice versa no matter what copy you bought, the servers are all in the same place

    Its confusing that there is a distinction between east and west NA servers.

    Update: turns out I didnt have Aion on max settings. I was ready to eat my own cock before you all but I reinspected that hill and it still had a shitty texture.D:

    Very well, I shall take you to heaven, before I take you to hell.
  • FingerSlutFingerSlut __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2009
    I'm fairly certain the 'Coast' is only meant to relate to server times with regards to Abyss raid times. It really makes perfect sense to have all your servers physically in one location. Truthfully, the performance difference by having multiple data centers would be minimal at best (and extremely costly for them compared to a single site with maybe a spare as a fail-over). Especially if they locate them centrally in the US.

    I havent seen conclusive information either. Good theory though, about the server time. Are the raid events started by the server?

    Very well, I shall take you to heaven, before I take you to hell.
  • FingerSlutFingerSlut __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2009
    Aion0004.jpg

    Ahh thats more like it. Nasa fucked up again. The bomb they sent was supposed to create .0002 megatons of force, but they misplaced the decimal and shot it with 2000 megatons.:winky:

    Very well, I shall take you to heaven, before I take you to hell.
  • ExistentialSoundandFuryExistentialSoundandFury Registered User
    edited October 2009
    Essentially the various towers are only available for Capture during 'prime time' for the server they're on. The time zones determine the 'Prime Time' of that server.

    399831.jpg
  • FingerSlutFingerSlut __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2009
    Essentially the various towers are only available for Capture during 'prime time' for the server they're on. The time zones determine the 'Prime Time' of that server.

    Guess I need to get to cap to see for myself. Pretty Asinine reason though, when it could just be adjusted inside the server without labeling it. People with odd schedules would probably like to know this as well. Differntiating servers by physical locations when the difference is prime time is kinda of backwords too, hopefully they explain it more so people can pick the server that best meets their playtime.

    Very well, I shall take you to heaven, before I take you to hell.
  • edited October 2009
    There was a gigantic debate about this for the 2 weeks leading to this games release. Considering it is one of the main attractions to this game, you could have done some research. Or you could just jump to conclusions, which seems to be your MO.

  • FingerSlutFingerSlut __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2009
    BlueBaron wrote: »
    There was a gigantic debate about this for the 2 weeks leading to this games release. Considering it is one of the main attractions to this game, you could have done some research. Or you could just jump to conclusions, which seems to be your MO.

    Oh how the mirror never lies. Its not like I posted a website with more information than the game had. Would you like a jump to conclusions mat mr finger pointer? And why do you think there was an argument about it? It certanly couldnt be because there was some confusion about it.

    Very well, I shall take you to heaven, before I take you to hell.
  • ExistentialSoundandFuryExistentialSoundandFury Registered User
    edited October 2009
    FingerSlut wrote: »
    BlueBaron wrote: »
    There was a gigantic debate about this for the 2 weeks leading to this games release. Considering it is one of the main attractions to this game, you could have done some research. Or you could just jump to conclusions, which seems to be your MO.

    Oh how the mirror never lies. Its not like I posted a website with more information than the game had. Would you like a jump to conclusions mat mr finger pointer?

    Both of you calm down, this isn't worth fighting over.

    Going by 'Coast' makes about as much sense as any other approach. The server time is dictated that way, just like WoW, and its no more vague that saying PDT or EST. East Coast indicates the server operates on an East Coast centric time schedule.

    Servers in WoW are centrally hosted by region as well, just because Sisters of Elune uses Central for its time does not mean its sitting in a central timezone locale. In a MMO whats important is to establish a Standard Time, Aion decided to advertise directly on the server name, stating what its standard time would be.

    Its 100x easier to say we will meet at X:XX Server Time, rather than trying to establish the timezone you are in relative to everyone else. Additionally, since they want players to be able to have time in which they can enjoy the fruits of their labor, putting a time limit on when fortresses are capturable is nice way to make sure that playing 24/7 isn't required to enjoy the taste of victory.

    399831.jpg
  • FingerSlutFingerSlut __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2009
    Anyway, Ill tell you why I like Aion so much, and not just because the paint job is snazzy.

    From all the pvp videos i've seen, it doesnt look like anyone gets to "stunlock" cc charaters without giving them a chance. I will never miss World of Stuncraft's pvp.

    Very well, I shall take you to heaven, before I take you to hell.
Sign In or Register to comment.