As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer 40,000: Angels, Bugs, & Power-armored Hugs

1565758596062»

• Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    DragonPup wrote: »
    Matrias wrote: »
    The various conversations sorta blasted past my earlier post, but I would like to hear from people a little more familiar with the SW and the rules so I'll give it one more go. Are wolf lords on thunderwolves using a powerfist S 9 (thunderwolf is like a frost blade or furious charge and goes on after the doubling) or S10 (thunderwolf is not a weapon effect and is thus on all the time. Profile strength essentially 5). I can see arguments both ways, and you can see them too cause they're in the brackets. What do people think?
    Going with S9. After some discussion with the local 40k gurus, it was agreed the wolf lords on mounts don't actually get the same range of benefits as the cavalry dudes get. Namely, no true S5 or T5.

I wouldn't waste S6 I5 opportunities on a fist, though. Frost Blade!

I would disagree. The Thunderwolf mount entry clearly says it changes the profile itself, not a +1S, +1T bonus like things such as Bikes add.

Actually it says it adds to the profile, not modifies the profile. Just like a bike adds +1 toughness.

SJ on
  • Options
    Captain ScurvyCaptain Scurvy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I believe there was some talk a while ago of a base for a vulture equipped with twin-linked punisher cannons as a mountainous pile of spent shell casings, with the occasional guard-issue boot sticking out from inside.

Hah! That would be awesome.

Thinking about it I'm not sure what an Urban Valkyrie base would look like since it's so big. Sidewalks would look weird. Maybe some type of street with a median of some sort running at various angles. Maybe have it be a two part base with the street on the base and the median (thinking some future looking interstate concrete thing) being a separate piece so each of the bases could be assembled differently with the median in variable spots. If you did it right, the median section could be sold separately as barricades for terrain pieces.

I'm thinking a street because if a Valkyrie was flying that low, a wide street in a city would be the only open enough area to move around.

Also you guys need to make sectional street pieces.:P

What about making terrain that has ruined city pieces underneath spork, Like the valk is above a blown out city scape that way it shouldnt be too hard to model.

Captain Scurvy on
    [Enter Witty Catch Phrase Here]
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I believe there was some talk a while ago of a base for a vulture equipped with twin-linked punisher cannons as a mountainous pile of spent shell casings, with the occasional guard-issue boot sticking out from inside.

Hah! That would be awesome.

Thinking about it I'm not sure what an Urban Valkyrie base would look like since it's so big. Sidewalks would look weird. Maybe some type of street with a median of some sort running at various angles. Maybe have it be a two part base with the street on the base and the median (thinking some future looking interstate concrete thing) being a separate piece so each of the bases could be assembled differently with the median in variable spots. If you did it right, the median section could be sold separately as barricades for terrain pieces.

I'm thinking a street because if a Valkyrie was flying that low, a wide street in a city would be the only open enough area to move around.

Also you guys need to make sectional street pieces.:P

What about making terrain that has ruined city pieces underneath spork, Like the valk is above a blown out city scape that way it shouldnt be too hard to model.

If it was low chunks of walls that might work. I tried to made a base using the pieces of building that came with the old IG battleforce, but it ended up being big and hard to transport. Valkyries by themselves are hard to transport, their bases don't need to make it harder. I think something simple is the best.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited October 2009
    Ya i think low walls and rubble will work well, maybe throw in some springs stretched out to look like barbed wire. Also im working on getting a legion of the damned squad off ebay, Im gonna use them jsut because their awsome, but does anyone have any exp with them?

Captain Scurvy on
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    SJ wrote: »
    Matrias wrote: »
    The various conversations sorta blasted past my earlier post, but I would like to hear from people a little more familiar with the SW and the rules so I'll give it one more go. Are wolf lords on thunderwolves using a powerfist S 9 (thunderwolf is like a frost blade or furious charge and goes on after the doubling) or S10 (thunderwolf is not a weapon effect and is thus on all the time. Profile strength essentially 5). I can see arguments both ways, and you can see them too cause they're in the brackets. What do people think?
    Going with S9. After some discussion with the local 40k gurus, it was agreed the wolf lords on mounts don't actually get the same range of benefits as the cavalry dudes get. Namely, no true S5 or T5.

I wouldn't waste S6 I5 opportunities on a fist, though. Frost Blade!

I would disagree. The Thunderwolf mount entry clearly says it changes the profile itself, not a +1S, +1T bonus like things such as Bikes add.

Actually it says it adds to the profile, not modifies the profile. Just like a bike adds +1 toughness.
    Well, the specific wording for bikes is adds to the characteristic, not the profile. Same diff, though.

Regardless, though, the rules regarding wargear modifying your profile are pretty clear, so until a FAQ comes in I'm operating under the assumption that at thunderwolf mount is just not as awesome as the 4-realz cavalry squad.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Son of a bitch, I think FW has completely sold me on the Death Korps, the models are just too damn cool not to base an IG army off of.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Okay, placing an order with reapermini.com.

If I paint the sword black and slap a Templar sticker on the shield, then put this down and said, "Okay, this is my counts-as emperor's champion," who could possibly argue against me using it?
    01424_w_1.jpg

desc on
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    @dark_side: Famous last words.

@desc: Inquisitors would.

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    @alqadim: I'm eager to see what your terrain is going to look like since your bases are so badass. I'm also far more likely to buy buildings from you than bases.. for now :P

@altmann: Blood Angel codex rumors have been pretty steady for awhile now, especially once space hulk came out and the tyranid dex was confirmed. Am I giddy? Yeah, a bit... But, I also realize that my codex can be as much ruined as buffed, so I am still trying to remain calm :P

Also, I was supposed to be off this Sunday, but with one of my management team getting lead out of the store this week in handcuffs... well, the schedule changed a little bit. Next Sunday and the following I will be off, however. Hopefully we can get something setup.

@Scurvy: Just this afternoon I came up with an idea for an army that includes/revolves around some Legion... It should be pretty cool, though I've never actually used them in a game yet. Always wanted too.

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    UnarmedOracleUnarmedOracle Evolution's Finest Hour Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Would there be any way to make a base for a valk that looked like it had pieces of debris blowing around on it? eddies of dust maybe? What about spools of rope and discarded rappelling harnesses from disembarking troops?

UnarmedOracle on
    signature.jpg
  • Options
    alqadimalqadim Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    We could make a clear plastic dome over it with a small fan and do like a snowglobe with actual small debris inside blowing around

alqadim on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I would go back to making an IG army in order to use amazing bases like that.

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Random question as I still try to suss out what to do with the space marines I have.

How does the black templar codex stack up these days? I'm pretty sure they put it out a while ago, does it work decently with the latest edition?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    LOL, I better not let John see this thread, he'll shoot me if he see's me promising things ;P At any rate the next release will be coming in the form of ein's mega mek gun that he's sent to us to make. Big casting run this weekend and should be on the site on sunday so look foward to that

alqadim on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Random question as I still try to suss out what to do with the space marines I have.

How does the black templar codex stack up these days? I'm pretty sure they put it out a while ago, does it work decently with the latest edition?

In the assault friendly enviroment of 5th, I'd say they are holding up really well, actually.

Move -> Run -> Get Shot At -> Zeal and move closer -> Move -> Assault -> Preferred Enemy -> Dead Xenos, Witches, and Heretics

Nax on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    We've made it to page 99 without a barrage of new thread titles. I'm at a loss for what to do. Unless somebody has a burning awesome idea for the OP of a new thread, I'll make the fixes to this one and put it up once I get home from work.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Warhammer 40k: In the Grim Dark of the future, there is only X-Com

Nax on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Warhammer 40k: In the Grim Dark of the futre, there is only debt.

Edit: that wasn't original enough.

Warhammer 40k: Men on bears on sharks on snowglobes.

altmann on

signature.png
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    this weekend I face the new Space Wolves for the first time
    apprehensive

also Warhammer 40,000: Female Space Marines are unique and interesting

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    UnarmedOracleUnarmedOracle Evolution's Finest Hour Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah I wasn't really talking about literal random stuff blowing around, more like something that looked like a field of grass blown radially flat.

Warhammer 40k: Nerd Elite require Heavy Supports.

UnarmedOracle on
    signature.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Warhammer 40,000: Down the road not across the street.
    rememberkids.jpg

alqadim on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Nax wrote: »
    Warhammer 40k: In the Grim Dark of the future, there is only X-Com

QFT! i vote for this one also ya i just laid a bid in on a 10 man squad of the old metal ones like bill has. Ill be happy to let you use them nax in your lists as soon as i get em painted. They look so badass i cant wait!

Captain Scurvy on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    this weekend I face the new Space Wolves for the first time
    apprehensive

Followed by, WH40k: SJ's head had just exploded in rage.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dichotomy wrote: »

Put some of Doctor Thunder's fiction in there while you're at it!

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Warhammer 40k: Is that deep striking beer bottle terrain, or a monolith?

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Warhammer 40K: In the rude darkness of the far future, there is only rude titties.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    WH40k: bearded men riding wolves w/ swords & shields... in space.

altmann on

signature.png
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Warhammer 40K: In the rude darkness of the far future, there is only rude titties.

This is a close second here.

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    By the by, what's the current tentative schedule for codex releases?

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Tyranids in January. Unknown after that. Rumblings of Blood Angels.

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Tyranids in January. Unknown after that. Rumblings of Blood Angels.

I've heard Tau during the next year, which is believable, since there's not much needing to be done so less resources need to be spent on it.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited October 2009
    Y'know I might not play them, but I think Dark Eldar are pretty damn nifty. I really wish they'd get updated sooner rather than even later.

Also, Necrons.

I think I'm going to wait until we breach the hundredth page before initiating the new thread. Just for the sake of completeness.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Quick! Spam the thread!

I've played against DE.... once. I'd like them to get a new codex just so maybe more people start playing them, and they're not so mystical and complained about as being so supremely overpowered (even though they kinda are :P).

I have never played against Necrons, and only even seen them fielded twice.

Nax on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm rooting to see the Dark Eldar redone, because they need it and it's just painful to see it drag out like this
    on the other hand, I fucking adore the idea of the necrons and badly want them to have a codex that isn't awful.

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Well motherfuck. I just found something on forgeworld I HAVE to buy.

AAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhhhhh

thus it begins.

altmann on

signature.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    LINK!

Nax on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    Mystery.ShadowMystery.Shadow Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    altmann wrote: »
    Well motherfuck. I just found something on forgeworld I HAVE to buy.

AAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhhhhh

thus it begins.

Been there, done that. Third mortgage....

Mystery.Shadow on
    WARNING! MMO Addiction can Prevent Long-Term Employment, a Meaningful Relationship, and Financial Independence. When's the Next Raid?

I Spent 90% of my Money on Women and Warhammer. The Rest I Wasted.
  • Options
    DoctorstrongbadDoctorstrongbad Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Thanks for the awesome link.

Doctorstrongbad on