As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Aion] Is Now Completely Free To Play. 3.0 Is Now Live.

• Options
    CostanzaKCostanzaK Only walks away from burning buildings. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Finger:

Could you please lay off the rabble rousing for a little bit? Aside from my rather spectacular episode of dickishness a little while back the new thread has been nothing but you being confrontational and insulting with other people.

1. Ground graphics on the out of boundary hillsides are not meant to look good. Why? because low rendered polygon counted walls are the universal sign of an "Off limits" area. If you compare that to the jutting rock walls in WoW then your argument loses all merit. Each game has it's graphical strengths and weaknesses, and to get nit-picky on either of them for it just makes you come across as a fanboy who is more concerned with pushing an agenda than having fun with the people playing the game with you. Please let the argument go or continue it in private messages so this thread can get back to it's original purpose, giving the community a place for people to learn about the game and for current players to bring up valid points of interest to further streamline our gaming community. And dick jokes. Gotta have dick jokes.

2. We had a huge deal going for a while on server selection. It was found that about 70 percent of the people preferred a West Coast server. We tried to reflect this by having the Elyos on a West Coast server and the Asmodians on an East Coast server, giving everyone a chance for what they want. But then there were a lot of "Oh shit!" moments and we had to improvise and switch servers around a couple times. We have had enough Server drama, so we're going to be sticking to these servers. I'm sorry you came to late to have a say in it, but them's the breaks.

All NA servers are based in Georgia or something, and it's just distinguished for timetable sake for Sieging schedules. It has no effect on ping or connectivity. Ironic thing is that NC Soft is based on the west coast so they have hard time uploading updates to their servers when the fans are using the bandwidth trying to connect to the game because we're eating all the bandwidth. :P

3. The shattered planets really are awesome, aren't they? I'm hoping we'll be able to explore them some day in expansion areas. After all, who's to say that Atreia is the only fabricated world in the system?

CostanzaK on
    "We shall Capture the Flag. We shall go on to the time limits.
    We shall fight in Hoth, we shall fight on the spaceports
    and the orbital stations, we shall fight with growing confidence
    and growing strength in the instances, we shall defend our Republic,
    whatever the cost may be.
    We shall Re-Spawn on the beaches, we shall camp the landing grounds,
    we shall PvP Flag in the fields and in the streets, we shall gank in the hills;
    we shall never uninstall."
    --Winston Churchwalker
  • Options
    ArlingtonArlington Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sarcastro wrote: »
    So mmo newbie question, regarding pick-up groups- I play a templar, so as tank (I've only ever played healerish classes before), am I the defacto leader when it comes to pulling mobs? Because seriously, half the time its like herding cats; people just sort of wander around aimlessly until somebody pulls something more or less by accident. Is it cool to just go into one of these things and take command?

On one hand, I know Im still a newb, so its all blind leading the blind and shit. On the other, seldom is there any sense of organization and forward progress. On the other, I don't want to be the bossy jackass that comes in guns blazing. So as you can see, I have too many hands. Is there an ettiquette there?

You are the leader of the group. You mark the targets, you pull the targets. You determine where the group goes.

Besides making things run a hell of a lot smoother, being the one to do the initial pull helps maintain better agro.

I use marks 1,2,3,4 and Zzz's. Most everyone should have assists setup for those anyway. Realistically you shouldnt need 3 or 4 (and rarely 2) unless you're cleaning up trash mobs (non-elites).
    Sarcastro wrote: »
    ummm... so like, I guess there's more to it? Or are you just referring to keeping pulls one at a time, avoiding group mobs (when one gets alerted another follows), making sure everyone is ready, etc?

I don't really know what range pulling is. Or why its needed since you have range taunts to do it yourself. If you're threading the needle enough that you need a 25m skill to pull instead of the 15/16m skills you have as a tank.... well your just asking for trouble in a pug.

Maybe they are referring to reset pulls? A reset pull is when you have mobs that will come in groups of more then 2. You mark target you want to kill with Zzz's. use taunt on that mob and run like hell. Sorc sleeps that mob and the rest of the group resets.

Anyway even with reset pulls I still would only ask a dd to pull if I've taken a death or two attempting it myself (only really goes wrong with mobs that have their version of Inescapable Judgement)

Arlington on
  • Options
    FingerSlutFingerSlut __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    CostanzaK wrote: »

Voice of reason

1. Hey I'm just a spirited guy, I enjoy both games and if I cant argue about them then why bother posting?
    Aion looks to be rushed a bit, and I'm not gonna cut them slack. The shit sucks in places, what gives?
    Sure I posted skewed comparions, which were meant to draw laughter. Howerver, as a gamer, we all know graphics take a backseat to gameplay.

2. Not sure about this one, Ive picked muh server already. To say colo's arent important is a pretty ignorant statement. I'll bet it changes if Aion picks up steam.

3. I havent seen the abyss yet, i guess I should quit posting and play.

FingerSlut on
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Abyss with an assassin and a spiritmaster are night and day. Where I was the one trying to chase down the asshole flying away, now I'm the asshole flying away while dealing a shitton of damage from my dots. Was able to kite and kill a 28 gladiator that jumped me while I was farming, and two of us Elemenstors were able to win fights against multiples out there so far.

I am really digging my spiritmaster out here, just sucks so much having to resummon my pet left and right because theres a tiny crack in the island he won't jump over.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    CorriganX wrote: »
    Abyss with an assassin and a spiritmaster are night and day. Where I was the one trying to chase down the asshole flying away, now I'm the asshole flying away while dealing a shitton of damage from my dots. Was able to kite and kill a 28 gladiator that jumped me while I was farming, and two of us Elemenstors were able to win fights against multiples out there so far.

I am really digging my spiritmaster out here, just sucks so much having to resummon my pet left and right because theres a tiny crack in the island he won't jump over.

just wait for that flyin pet patch, oh its gonna be hilarious!

FingerSlut on
  • Options
    BlueBaronBlueBaron regular
    edited October 2009
    While there are stuns in the game, I like how it is implemented so far. You can use it strategically to turn the tide, not stun and make your entire health bar disappear.

BlueBaron on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I may switch to Sorceror soon. I enjoy my Gladiator in PvE content, but chasing assholes around in the Abyss isn't fun.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    1. Hey I'm just a spirited guy, I enjoy both games and if I cant argue about them then why bother posting?

If that's how you feel, why do you bother posting?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009

If that's how you feel, why do you bother posting?

Yeah my mistake coming to a gaming forum to discuss games...What was I thinking?o_O

FingerSlut on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh wow, people throwing shitfits and arguing in the Aion thread! Will wonders never cease?

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Soooraah wrote: »

By the way, does anyone know about what a lvl 25 Templar's stats should be approximately (with shield equipped)? What stats should I be most concerned with Block? Parry? Evasion? should I equip HP stones as well?

I'm about 1/3 into 24 with some decent gear, and I have ~2750 hp and ~1800mp before Empyrean Armor.

There's a fair bit of chatter about manastone selection on the na.aiononline.com templar forum, and the consensus seems to be:

- If you are going to be tanking for a group, and don't need to put out dps yourself, stack as much block as you can, then fill in with +hp

- If you are going to be soloing and need to be more of a generalist, there are two schools of thought:

- Sword and board all the time: as much +block as you can get, and then +attack, the claim being that +attack adds more total damage over the long haul than +crit until you get into the 40s

- Greatsword or weapon-swap "dancing": +crit, then +attack, then +hp to fill slots if needed. The theory here is that you reduce downtime by having shorter fights and getting lots of knockdown crits with the GS, rather than "tanking" through fights where you take almost no damage, and do just slightly more damage in return. Big +block numbers aren't needed here because you have your GS out most of the time, and can use Shield Defense/Steel Wall Defense to force blocks when you want to use your reactive counters.

hlprmnky on
    _
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    MegaDoomerMegaDoomer Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I just bought this last night, i made a Asmodian Priest who i will turn into a cleric, I made my character the least blue that i could, so my character kinda stands out amongst the wave of blue skinned asmodians...

anyways i am in love with this game so far, it runs so good on my low end computer i am very surprised. i bought Champions Online before this and it was like i was playing a slide show game, in this game i have almost all setting son max..., so far i really dig the priest, its almost exactly like playing EQ again as a cleric.

oh well just wanted to say how impressed i am with the game so far.

MegaDoomer on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Soooraah wrote: »
    FingerSlut wrote: »
    Outside of the character models themselves, im going to be so bold as to say that in some respects wotlk has better graphics. Aion is visually impressive, but make no mistake, its designed to be run on everything, not just crysis running, number raping monstrosos computers.

crysis running, number raping monstrosos computers need love too!

I <3 crysis running, number raping monstrosos computers

<3:winky:

FingerSlut on
  • Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Empyrean Armor is a skill you should already have. :D

hlprmnky on
    _
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Commission an AC to craft you the blue L23 set :)

Most will do combines for free or a small fee if you provide mats.

JediNight on
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm gonna say the far right one for now. You sure we can change it later?

And how detailed/big can it be?

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fallout wrote: »
    oh, shit, the abyss RULES

scratch this

i thought it did, but, man

fuckin' sieges suck ass

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    i like the one-on-one pvp, is there anywhere to do that exclusively? if i don't like abyss sieges, is there anything else to do in the endgame?

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009

scratch this

fuckin' sieges suck ass

What's wrong with sieges? Attacking or defending? I haven't had a chance to partake in one at all yet, so I'm just curious.

As for the emblem, I'm gonna have to vote either the red or black background.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    CostanzaKCostanzaK Only walks away from burning buildings. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I vote to make the Witchalok's cape the same color as the cape worn by the Witchalok in the PA cartoons. A deeply red, almost purplish red. Go take a look at the comics and see what you think, Psycho. Maybe even use an analysis eye drop in a painting program to get the color index of the cape.

CostanzaK on
    "We shall Capture the Flag. We shall go on to the time limits.
    We shall fight in Hoth, we shall fight on the spaceports
    and the orbital stations, we shall fight with growing confidence
    and growing strength in the instances, we shall defend our Republic,
    whatever the cost may be.
    We shall Re-Spawn on the beaches, we shall camp the landing grounds,
    we shall PvP Flag in the fields and in the streets, we shall gank in the hills;
    we shall never uninstall."
    --Winston Churchwalker
  • Options
    edited October 2009

scratch this

fuckin' sieges suck ass

What's wrong with sieges? Attacking or defending? I haven't had a chance to partake in one at all yet, so I'm just curious.

As for the emblem, I'm gonna have to vote either the red or black background.

It's just a gigantic clusterfuck. Even if it weren't laggy as hell, it's just a bunch of people throwing themselves at each other and all of the cool strategy and skill of single-player combat is just lost. I'm an assassin and I felt totally useless because I wasn't dropping huge AoE attacks, rezzing, or at least just pegging people from a safe distance where I wouldn't get steamrolled by the opposing horde. A friend of mine described it as a "200-man lagslap" which is hilariously apt.

I'm really disappointed. :(

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I tend to agree with making the background the same color as the Witchaloks cape in the comic.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    tektek meh... WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It's just a gigantic clusterfuck. Even if it weren't laggy as hell, it's just a bunch of people throwing themselves at each other and all of the cool strategy and skill of single-player combat is just lost. I'm an assassin and I felt totally useless because I wasn't dropping huge AoE attacks, rezzing, or at least just pegging people from a safe distance where I wouldn't get steamrolled by the opposing horde. A friend of mine described it as a "200-man lagslap" which is hilariously apt.

I'm really disappointed. :(

I've attended one siege thus far, had occasional hic-ups but it was just as playable as when I solo. During mass-pvp events like that, assassins are wonderful for sneaking into their line as a small group and bursting clerics. The farther the freshly rez'd have to run back the more they'll be pushed back. Another thing you can do is flank or go kisk hunting, both tactically critical for the overall win!

tek on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I guess. I'm only 26, I'm sure that contributed to my suckage a lot. I'll give it another chance but there's only so much room for strategy when 300 people are packed into a corridor.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    Killer AvacadoKiller Avacado Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Quick word of warning for tanks that have others range pull for you. The current school of thought is that whoever gets initial agro on mobs gets a nice little threat cushion, even on mobs you haven't touched yet.

So if you have that Ranger friend of yours start a 3-mob pull for you you're going to be working extra hard to get agro off of him - even on the two mobs he didn't touch.

The same can be said for having your handy dandy Sorcerer start a pull with his CC.

Moral of the story - let the tank pull.

(side note - taunts in Aion are basically just high threat, no damage moves so it's not a waste to weave them into your rotation, even on mobs that are focused on you currently)

Killer Avacado on
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    hlprmnky wrote: »
    - Greatsword or weapon-swap "dancing": +crit, then +attack, then +hp to fill slots if needed. The theory here is that you reduce downtime by having shorter fights and getting lots of knockdown crits with the GS, rather than "tanking" through fights where you take almost no damage, and do just slightly more damage in return. Big +block numbers aren't needed here because you have your GS out most of the time, and can use Shield Defense/Steel Wall Defense to force blocks when you want to use your reactive counters.

This, with macros, has an amazing effect. I effectively have two builds, one for higher DPS (GS) and SnB tanking. You can switch up midfight if you need to, but quite often buddy is dead from the first set of attacks. I like the two stage approach, because after the first macro set, there are interrupts, unexpected crits etc to deal up on the fly. GS is also handy for groups with more than one tank.

@ everyone with advice for leadership and tanking, oh god thank you. Grouped twice last night, took the reigns and it was damn smooth sailing. Everybody has a better time when the group performs well, and appreciates playing thier part effectively. You guys are awesome!

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If at all possible, I think a wolfoid head above/between the Witchalok dagger's blades would look awesome, you know like Further Songs of Sorcelation part four and the preceding song of sorcelation, part five. I think that the black background is very nice, but I'd have to see how it would look with the witchalok's cape's color as a background as well before I cast my final vote that way.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Just did training camp with the most fail gladiator tanking. Easy for them to do but he had zero awareness. Rest of the group managed to hold it together though so we got the full clear and outstanding xp!

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    TethTeth __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Wow, the sorcerers sleep spell generates an absurd amount of aggro. I think I'll let the tank pull from now on.

Teth on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Teth wrote: »
    Wow, the sorcerers sleep spell generates an absurd amount of aggro. I think I'll let the tank pull from now on.

Yeah if you are CCing something you need to just keep CCing it with different stuff like sleep, tree, root, etc, until the tank can get to it, once the tank can get to it you need to snare it so the tank can pull aggro before it melts your face.
    Moral of the story - let the tank pull.

I disagree. I've had success pulling with my chanters ranged attack. Just equip my shield, do the pull, pop focused evasion and start backing up to increase block chance. The tank can usually pull it off me before I've taken more than 2 hits, at least one of which was probably blocked. Not that it really matters because I tanked a boss in these lava cave things in morheim because me healing myself generated too much aggro for the tank to pull it off me lol. This was only because the stupid ranger in our group somehow pulled the boss while we were in the middle of a three trash pull. Not sure how we survived it.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Um... do you mean Focused Parry? If so you'd be better with your staff out.

But go ahead, keep talking like you know how to play your class...

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I made myself a noble helm (yay luck) and all of my other gear, except for my shoulder guard. I think I look pretty cool:
    2k4shv.jpg

28lb34j.jpg

eqdt36.jpg

Lord_Asmodeus on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    They look cool, but I think they might look better without the glow around them, you know? Could you show the black one next to them as well, for comparison?

Lord_Asmodeus on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    the red-purple bottom one still has glow :P

I still like the black one, I don't like the gray white one so much, and the red one is cool and the lining is also less obvious. I personally like them better without the glow.

Lord_Asmodeus on
  • Options
    PsychoishPsychoish Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    the red-purple bottom one still has glow :P

I still like the black one, I don't like the gray white one so much, and the red one is cool and the lining is also less obvious. I personally like them better without the glow.

Oh, whoops. I'll fix that, haha..

Psychoish on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I like the dark red one without glow myself.

Edit: Dark blue without glow looks very nice as well

Lord_Asmodeus on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Why would I be better with my staff? Then I couldn't block anything.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Why would I be better with my staff? Then I couldn't block anything.

Lets think this through. First, you said pop out your shield. That's ok advice. Then you said to pop Focused Evasion, which is a skill we don't even have, and if we did a shield wouldn't help with that anyways. We do, however, have Focused Parry, which has nothing to do with moving backwards to increase block rate OR wielding a shield.

A better way would be to pull out a staff (from what I've seen it has a better +Parry compared to maces), pull, pop Focused Parry, Word of Revival, and then Protective Ward. Then just wait for the tank to pull it off of you.

Of course, I'd never even suggest that a healer class should be pulling anyways, as trying to heal yourself from blows is just going to aggro you more. But I guess there has to be bad Chanters for the rest of us to be compared to.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PsychoishPsychoish Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    There is a guild on Ariel (the asmodian server!) called Witchalok. Not Witchaloks, Witchalok. Leader is Grimshado.

I wish these people were Elyos so we could beat the shit out of them. Taking down emblem pics so they can't use them now.

Psychoish on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Psychoish wrote: »
    There is a guild on Ariel (the asmodian server!) called Witchalok. Not Witchaloks, Witchalok. Leader is Grimshado.

I wish these people were Elyos so we could beat the shit out of them. Taking down emblem pics so they can't use them now.

lol, what? What a bunch of douchebags.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png