As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Aion] Is Now Completely Free To Play. 3.0 Is Now Live.

• PsychoishPsychoish Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Psychoish wrote: »
    There is a guild on Ariel (the asmodian server!) called Witchalok. Not Witchaloks, Witchalok. Leader is Grimshado.

I wish these people were Elyos so we could beat the shit out of them. Taking down emblem pics so they can't use them now.

lol, what? What a bunch of douchebags.

I want to declare war on them, but they're also Asmodian. Plus, the leader's name makes no sense because Grimm Shado is NOT A WITCHALOK!

Psychoish on
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well, to be strictly fair both his mother AND his father are Witchaloks. The same Witchalok no less.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • edited October 2009
    Grimm Shado is not a witchalok?

Push Button / Receive Cat on
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Um... do you mean Focused Parry? If so you'd be better with your staff out.

But go ahead, keep talking like you know how to play your class...

Why would I be better with my staff? Then I couldn't block anything.

Lets think this through. First, you said pop out your shield. That's ok advice. Then you said to pop Focused Evasion, which is a skill we don't even have, and if we did a shield wouldn't help with that anyways. We do, however, have Focused Parry, which has nothing to do with moving backwards to increase block rate OR wielding a shield.

A better way would be to pull out a staff (from what I've seen it has a better +Parry compared to maces), pull, pop Focused Parry, Word of Revival, and then Protective Ward. Then just wait for the tank to pull it off of you.

Of course, I'd never even suggest that a healer class should be pulling anyways, as trying to heal yourself from blows is just going to aggro you more. But I guess there has to be bad Chanters for the rest of us to be compared to.

The guy obviously made a mistake in calling it focused evasion instead of parry, big whoop, you know what he means so why bring that up in two separate posts?

If you were going for maximum damage mitigation in a given situation then what ghost master suggested would be better. A shield and mace gives you more +block than you lose in +parry doesn't it? (it does, I'm just doing this question and answer thing as it seems to be the 'cool' thing to do when you are talking down to someone.)

I don't agree with anyone but the tank pulling but you don't have to be a jerk to people Shorn. Maybe it's just your style but I don't understand what kind of benefit you get by being so condescending in your posts.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So I hit 19 on my Chanter today. he's pretty fun, but clearly I have chosen the jack-of-all-trades class again. He seems capable of filling any role outside of tanking, almost, what with the plethora of melee chains.

I'm also gonna start an alt later. Can't decide what; I have an Asmo mage somewhere, but I think an Elyosian Ranger would be fun. Or perhaps a Templar.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2009
    So I am on Yustiel... name is Suzara. Playing a glass canon.

So if anyone wants to throw an invite, I am down.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • StratoStrato Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm also feeling a bit of burn on the grind here. At 26, I grinded/quested in Morheim for 3–4 hours with the 20% rested experience buff, and I only got half of the 3 million XP needed for the next level. Quests giving 200,000 XP don't really help much at that point.

The most enjoyable part of the game for me is grouping and getting to perform my role well in the group (i.e. a well-put together group of the appropriate level), but if I'm going to have to play for 20 hours grinding between each opportunity to play with a decent party, I'm probably not going to stay with it.

I realize most MMOs are like this, but it'd be nice if there was more chance for grouping. Maybe I'm missing some opportunities?

The alternative playstyle I'm considering right now is just rolling an alt of every class and playing til 25, since leveling is a decent pace up through there to enjoy playing solo.

Strato on
  • aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Strato wrote: »
    I'm also feeling a bit of burn on the grind here. At 26, I grinded/quested in Morheim for 3–4 hours with the 20% rested experience buff, and I only got half of the 3 million XP needed for the next level. Quests giving 200,000 XP don't really help much at that point.

lvl 20-25 is the least smooth part of the leveling curve for me so far. Also, after 25, I suggest questing and grinding in The Abyss. Yes, even with the gankings. Also, do Training Grounds. A single run through will easily net you half a bar even when you're lvl 28.

aunsoph on
  • edited October 2009
    grinding is the fastest in the abyss. ive been getting like 4 hr per level, along with about 5k abyss points. there's also a slight lack of quests at this point in the game too

Push Button / Receive Cat on
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    At level 30 I'm certainly starting the feel the grinding. I've been playing less and less, but that also might have to do with the fact I've had less hours to play and work has burned me out a lot.

Djiem on
  • ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So, im kinda liking this game, got to level 13 as a sorcerer already. Pretty fun so far. How do i go about joining up with the PA Guild? Im Zeonn, on Yustriel (elyos side).

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Lets think this through. First, you said pop out your shield. That's ok advice. Then you said to pop Focused Evasion, which is a skill we don't even have, and if we did a shield wouldn't help with that anyways. We do, however, have Focused Parry, which has nothing to do with moving backwards to increase block rate OR wielding a shield.

A better way would be to pull out a staff (from what I've seen it has a better +Parry compared to maces), pull, pop Focused Parry, Word of Revival, and then Protective Ward. Then just wait for the tank to pull it off of you.

Of course, I'd never even suggest that a healer class should be pulling anyways, as trying to heal yourself from blows is just going to aggro you more. But I guess there has to be bad Chanters for the rest of us to be compared to.

Yes I did mean focused parry, but I was looking through the skills of the assassin on aion armory before I posted and got the word parry and evasion mixed up.

I don't think you understood what is trying to be accomplished with teh shield and focused parry. Let me break it down for you:

1. equip shield = increased chance to block
    2. walk backwards = increase chance to block AND parry even more (you may not know this but moving backwards gives +500 to both parry and block values)
    3. pop focused parry = increase chance to parry
    4. ???
    5. profit.

seriously though, the goal is increasing the likelihood that you will mitigate damage. Blocks mitigate damage, and parries mitigate damage, so therefore wouldn't increasing both be better?

With focused parry and my stave equipped I have 1110 parry and essentially 0 block. With my mace and shield + focused parry I have 1114 Parry and 798 block. Admittedly my staff is 1 or 2 levels lower than my mace so I might have like 10 more parry with my staff if it were the same level.

So with mace and shield, focused parry, and backing up I have 1610 parry and nearly 1300 block. I'll probably be mitigating 50-75% of incoming damage. The point it to mitigate as much damage as possible before the tank pulls it off you so that you don't HAVE to heal yourself.

ghost_master2000 on
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Grabbed the game a few days ago out of boredom. It seems pretty fun so far, despite my expectations being fairly low for MMORPGs in general.

Main character, Suriko (Assassin)
    Alts, Jutland (to-be Templar) and Faradin (to-be Cleric)
    Aion0088.jpgAion0095.jpgAion0097.jpg

All on Nezekan.

Really liking the assassin class. Going crazy on mobs with dual daggers really brings me back to the days of playing thief/assassin on Ragnarok Online so many years ago.

Suriko on
  • StratoStrato Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    aunsoph wrote: »
    Strato wrote: »

lvl 20-25 is the least smooth part of the leveling curve for me so far. Also, after 25, I suggest questing and grinding in The Abyss. Yes, even with the gankings. Also, do Training Grounds. A single run through will easily net you half a bar even when you're lvl 28.

Could you remind me where Training Grounds is? I remember hearing about it but I don't know if I ever found it.

Strato on
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    it's a portal on the backside of primum fortress

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Adda wrote: »

The guy obviously made a mistake in calling it focused evasion instead of parry, big whoop, you know what he means so why bring that up in two separate posts?

If you were going for maximum damage mitigation in a given situation then what ghost master suggested would be better. A shield and mace gives you more +block than you lose in +parry doesn't it? (it does, I'm just doing this question and answer thing as it seems to be the 'cool' thing to do when you are talking down to someone.)

I don't agree with anyone but the tank pulling but you don't have to be a jerk to people Shorn. Maybe it's just your style but I don't understand what kind of benefit you get by being so condescending in your posts.

My thought process: well, if he's stupid enough to think a healer should be pulling anyways...

I don't give people the benefit of the doubt on shit like that because this is the internet and therefore EASY TO LOOK UP.

And personally, I think that if you are looking to mitigate damage it is best to put all of your focus on one stat to max out your likelihood of the mitigating happening. Since it's all chances anyways might as well give yourself the best possible chance to do one than middling chances to do two or three. You still take a little damage while parrying but your HoT heals that up fine.
    With focused parry and my stave equipped I have 1110 parry and essentially 0 block. With my mace and shield + focused parry I have 1114 Parry and 798 block. Admittedly my staff is 1 or 2 levels lower than my mace so I might have like 10 more parry with my staff if it were the same level.

Really? Essentially 0 Block? That's a lie and you are trying to twist this conversation by not saying what your real resting block number is because if you wanted to it's listed right in your panel.

Don't bother to respond though, I'm not really keen on wasting my time with and idiot/liar.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • CostanzaKCostanzaK Only walks away from burning buildings. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Zeon wrote: »
    So, im kinda liking this game, got to level 13 as a sorcerer already. Pretty fun so far. How do i go about joining up with the PA Guild? Im Zeonn, on Yustriel (elyos side).
    syndalis wrote: »
    So I am on Yustiel... name is Suzara. Playing a glass canon.

So if anyone wants to throw an invite, I am down.

Go to the legion website and fill out an Application to the Sorcelators if you want to join them. If you want to join the Elemenstors then you're still going to have to go to the Legion website. Why? because that is where all the joining information and Lists of Officers are for the people who want to join us.

Dude With herpes, could you modify the OP to let people know that the way to apply to the Legions is through the Legion website?
    Suriko wrote: »
    Grabbed the game a few days ago out of boredom. It seems pretty fun so far, despite my expectations being fairly low for MMORPGs in general.

Main character, Suriko (Assassin)
    Alts, Jutland (to-be Templar) and Faradin (to-be Cleric)
    Aion0088.jpgAion0095.jpgAion0097.jpg

All on Nezekan.

Really liking the assassin class. Going crazy on mobs with dual daggers really brings me back to the days of playing thief/assassin on Ragnarok Online so many years ago.

Then I assume you have no wish to play with the PAA, since you rolled on the wrong server. We had to change everything around. Right now you are on the hard core "Gank Server" as chosen by the fans. Good luck in the Abyss, cause you're going to be needing it. The PAA Legions and their servers are listed in the Opening Post in case you want to join us.

CostanzaK on
    "We shall Capture the Flag. We shall go on to the time limits.
    We shall fight in Hoth, we shall fight on the spaceports
    and the orbital stations, we shall fight with growing confidence
    and growing strength in the instances, we shall defend our Republic,
    whatever the cost may be.
    We shall Re-Spawn on the beaches, we shall camp the landing grounds,
    we shall PvP Flag in the fields and in the streets, we shall gank in the hills;
    we shall never uninstall."
    --Winston Churchwalker
  • Death Cab For AlbieDeath Cab For Albie Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Is it possible to continue to level solo at 18 without constant grinding?

Death Cab For Albie on
    ...we made it cool to wear medallions and say hotep...
  • NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well I'm level 34 right now. Leveling only gets worse people. Best XP was at 25 when you could run the Training Grounds a few times. Good XP. Anyway we're doing the Fire Temple now with a 4 man. Can clear it no problem and it's decent XP but nowhere NEAR the amount from Battlegrounds. You might get 2 bubbles from the Fire Temple but clear it in about 40 mins with a good solid group (and that's just 4 of us).

It actually goes faster with the 4 of us though as we have no 2 other pug people mucking crap up.

Also so far I can't stand aerial combat. Maybe it's me being an assassin and having a hell of a time ... but yea ... good times >_>

As an assassin at my level I have a hard time in 1v1 against most things. Rangers, sorcs, spiritmasters can kite me as I have ONE good closer. However in flight combat all I have is DASH still which isn't even really a good closer.

Clerics can heal through anything I can do and templars have too much fortification.

... basically I can best assassins and gladiators. Sometimes even chanters have too much healing/regen power to overcome.

I hope I just suck ...

Nyht on
  • goodtimesgoodtimes Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Alot of people on here seem like they are feeling the grind already.

I'm level 40 , I can promise you it gets worse , you will have to grind I promise you and when I mean grind I mean you will repetitively kill the same things over and over and over again for experience. There are some brief respites that may give you half a level when you get to a new zone but yeah count on multiple levels in the future just being straight grinds.

my route as asmodian was:

25-26 abyss quests , training ground instance

26-30 Grind "Don't Fear the Reaper" repeatable 150 times (kill 9 life reapers rinse and repeat)

30-31 Grind birds and grankers in Upper Abyss

31-34 Grind the statue repeatable in the upper abyss (can't recall the name) for silver coins and XP/AP punctuated by speed runs in firetemple which by 34 you should be rolling in 30 minutes in a 3 man tank/dps/ healer. Glad or templar is fine for tanking this , it's a joke we still have a Sin and a cleric that won't give up on the place 2 manning it.

35-36 Alsig village and then beluslan quests, no grinding

36-40 Solo/group grind mist mane mau

You certainly will be able to XP via quests more than I did but I promise you won't be able to level without grinding. You may not want to hear this but I promise you I have no reason to lie about it.

goodtimes on
    new sig underconstruction
  • NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    goodtimes wrote: »
    Alot of people on here seem like they are feeling the grind already.

I'm level 40 , I can promise you it gets worse , you will have to grind I promise you and when I mean grind I mean you will repetitively kill the same things over and over and over again for experience. There are some brief respites that may give you half a level when you get to a new zone but yeah count on multiple levels in the future just being straight grinds.

my route as asmodian was:

25-26 abyss quests , training ground instance

26-30 Grind "Don't Fear the Reaper" repeatable 150 times (kill 9 life reapers rinse and repeat)

30-31 Grind birds and grankers in Upper Abyss

31-34 Grind the statue repeatable in the upper abyss (can't recall the name) for silver coins and XP/AP punctuated by speed runs in firetemple which by 34 you should be rolling in 30 minutes in a 3 man tank/dps/ healer. Glad or templar is fine for tanking this , it's a joke we still have a Sin and a cleric that won't give up on the place 2 manning it.

35-36 Alsig village and then beluslan quests, no grinding

36-40 Solo/group grind mist mane mau

You certainly will be able to XP via quests more than I did but I promise you won't be able to level without grinding. You may not want to hear this but I promise you I have no reason to lie about it.

I see you did a lot of abyss stuff. As of yet I haven't had to grind much except for grinding Fire Temple a bit. I've been doing a lot of quests in Eltnen and Heiron. Got to 34 without having to grind much though most quests require you to kill things so it seems similar to a grind.

Nyht on
  • CostanzaKCostanzaK Only walks away from burning buildings. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm almost level 25, I'm going my own pace, and I don't feel like I'm grinding. Granted, there is a reason for this. I'm balls deep into crafting. I decided that I would make a goal for myself and then play the game to follow through with it. My goal has been to do a butt load of crafting and selling in order to finance the legion, since no one is bothering to do any donations to up our Legion level once more. ( We get Siege weapons, people! Fortresses are just waiting for us to take them! )

So I did quests as a side measure to gathering and crafting, outfitting myself and a few alts for fun, and so on. It quite unbelieveable how much experience you can get just by gatering and crafting. I gained my entire 23-34 level by doing just crafting related stuff.

Sure, I'm not gaining experience as fast as the people who are grinding and setting up macros and stuff, but I'm having a lot of fun with it. And I'm becoming a better crafter which allows me to outfit my fellow Legionaries.

CostanzaK on
    "We shall Capture the Flag. We shall go on to the time limits.
    We shall fight in Hoth, we shall fight on the spaceports
    and the orbital stations, we shall fight with growing confidence
    and growing strength in the instances, we shall defend our Republic,
    whatever the cost may be.
    We shall Re-Spawn on the beaches, we shall camp the landing grounds,
    we shall PvP Flag in the fields and in the streets, we shall gank in the hills;
    we shall never uninstall."
    --Winston Churchwalker
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2009
    okay, so I did my app all official and shit.

Looking forward to the invite :D

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    how do you get pauldrons to show up on both shoulders? I see people with them like that all the time, but I don't see an option for it anywhere

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Lockout wrote: »
    how do you get pauldrons to show up on both shoulders? I see people with them like that all the time, but I don't see an option for it anywhere

Get higher level pauldrons. The low ones are only one shoulder.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    man, dudes have to apply to be in your video game groups? that is Gay As Hell

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fallout wrote: »
    It's the only way to ensure we weed out the undesirables such as women, minorities, and gays. Also, don't bother unless you've got a PhD from an Ivy League school. If you meet the above requirements feel free to submit a powerpoint slide of your stock portfolio and a 50-page thesis on why you chose to invest the way you did and where you see the market heading in the next year.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

Some of the higher level ones are one shoulder too.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
    edited October 2009
    darklite_x wrote: »
    Fallout wrote: »
    It's the only way to ensure we weed out the undesirables such as women, minorities, and gays. Also, don't bother unless you've got a PhD from an Ivy League school. If you meet the above requirements feel free to submit a powerpoint slide of your stock portfolio and a 50-page thesis on why you chose to invest the way you did and where you see the market heading in the next year.

oh, well, as long as it keeps the gays out

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • gennygenny Registered User new member
    edited October 2009
    hello guys. could any of you tell mw where i can change my weapon look and armor looks? thanks

genny on
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    genny wrote: »
    hello guys. could any of you tell mw where i can change my weapon look and armor looks? thanks

You need to be level 30 first, on asmo side it's in market street on the right hand side. Not sure about elyos.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
    edited October 2009
    Well, all the sorcelator officers were offline when I last tried, about an hour ago.

I am on under the name Suzara, and have been approved, so hook me up whenever you get a chance.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • tektek meh... WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    syndalis wrote: »
    Well, all the sorcelator officers were offline when I last tried, about an hour ago.

I am on under the name Suzara, and have been approved, so hook me up whenever you get a chance.

/join PAAion wang

You'll have a much better chance catching an officer in there.

tek on
    edited October 2009
    Soooraah wrote: »
    I find it funny how much "chick hate" there is along with the anti gay remarks on this board. Does this just mean you can't get it from either?

Everyone's thinking it, I just had the cahones to say it...

There are plenty of gays and chicks on this forum.

Could it be that you are seeing long running meme's and jokes that are entirely void of any real meaning?

*EDIT* I went back through the thread and looked, what the hell are you even talking about? Are you in the right thread?

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • PhosPhos Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

There are plenty of gays and chicks on this forum.

Could it be that you are seeing long running meme's and jokes that are entirely void of any real meaning?

*EDIT* I went back through the thread and looked, what the hell are you even talking about? Are you in the right thread?

You missed the joke.

Phos on
    edited October 2009
    Ah, scrolled right past it. My bad.

Still... I think it's pretty obvious that's a joke, and it attacks more groups than just women/gays, so I'm still not sure what exactly Soooraah is complaining about.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2009
    I am guessing he is just pointing out those persecuted groups to hide his real shame... that he is a shitty investor with a laughable portfolio.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

Still... I think it's pretty obvious that's a joke, and it attacks more groups than just women/gays, so I'm still not sure what exactly Soooraah is complaining about.

Yea, it IS really obvious that it's a joke, just like it was obvious to many people here that Soorah wasn't being serious EITHER. I would honestly be surprised if he was.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    edited October 2009

Yea, it IS really obvious that it's a joke, just like it was obvious to many people here that Soorah wasn't being serious EITHER. I would honestly be surprised if he was.

Well, if it wasn't serious it sure as hell wasn't funny either, and that's generally the point of sarcasm.

So I'm still missing the point of his post.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    CorriganX wrote: »

Some of the higher level ones are one shoulder too.

alright thanks. thought it might be something like that, then I saw an 18 guy walking around with dual pauldrons was like, what the hell

guess I've just happened to get the single shoulder ones for awhile

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg