As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Muffling drum pedals

Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I have an electric drum kit and Rock Band, but I can't use either of them in my second floor apartment. The volume of the drums or game are not the problem, but the constant pounding of the pedal on the floor can be heard both above and below.

How can I minimize this? What kind of padding or whatever could absorb that noise?

Evil Multifarious on

• Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yoga mat?

glithert on
  • Options
    1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The best thing I've seen was a "platform" a friend built from a leftover pallet, cheap blankets (for packing) and expanding foam.

It was like a s'more of wood, cotton, and foam, and when playing on this, it literally had NO vibration. The lady underneath went from banging on the ceiling every night to every other week (when we'd turn the volume on the surround up). No pics, he's since moved and relegated it to the dumpster, but it was a heavy mo-fo too. You'll need something solid since you're sitting on it.

1ddqd on
  • Options
    midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If you buy a real drum pedal setup for RB it turns the downward motion of your foot into lateral movement of the pedal and should mitigate the noise quite a bit.

But when I was in an apartment with a stock RB pedal I would just set up the drums on top of a sleeping bag folded in half.

midgetspy on
  • Options
    HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've been having some success with using a yoga mat underneath, at least they've stopped banging on their ceiling

Hypatia on