As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wipeout Pulse

Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
edited July 2007 in Games and Technology
Sony has announced that a new WipEout game for PSP will be released this September, courtesy of our old pals Studio Liverpool.

WipEout Pulse promises 24 new, reversible circuits to race around in new ships shooting people with new weapons while listening to new licensed music, including songs by Mason, Loco Dice and Stanton Warriors. God I feel old.

You'll be able to race against your friends in ad hoc and infrastructure (Internet!) modes, coating yourself in the liveries of eight new in-game racing teams, including one called EG-X. Good name.

More impressive, Sony reckons, will be in the introduction of a new track element called the "Mag-Strip" - this will lock ships to the surface of the track temporarily, allowing level designers to include things like loops, vertical drops and 90-degree angled sections to mess with your head.

Which, it turns out, they will be doing in seven game modes, with a Training section also introduced to show you everything from steering to shooting - something that's bound to come in handy for gamers more used to wheely racecars.

Finally, there'll be scope for personalisation and showing off, with the option to store your own music (MP3s) on a Memory Stick and listen along while you play, while a Photo Mode will allow you to take shots of your ship and post them online. Kids these days.

And, says Sony, the fun won't stop in September either, with downloadable content lined up for launch (why not put it on the disc then?) and afterwards, including new tracks, ships and tunes.

It's so exciting they emailed it to us eight times. Which, considering they were carrying these first screenshots on their backs, surely went above and beyond. Anyway, expect more soon, as we'll be sure to keep our finger on the, er, Pulse.

Link

Screens:
ss_preview_Screen6.jpg

ss_preview_Screen5.jpg

ss_preview_Screen4.jpg

ss_preview_Screen3.jpg

ss_preview_Screen2.jpg

ss_preview_Screen1.jpg

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
Unco-ordinated on

• GertBeefGertBeef Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It looks clean.

GertBeef on
    gertsig.jpg
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Wow. I might have to actually go and find my PSP now...

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Wipeout serves no purpose other than showing of teh graphics in new hardware.

Poor mans F-zero.

sorry fans...

LewieP on
  • Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    LewieP wrote: »

Poor mans F-zero.

sorry fans...

What the hell are you talking about? Wipeout brought Red Bull to America.

But the original one on the PS1, Wipeout XL, was a great racer. I think of it fondly, no other Wipeout was able to match the pure magic that XL brought, it had a kick ass sound track (although I did just leave it repeating on Firestarter), an announcer that was pretty bad ass, crazed tracks, and great speed. We played that game more than any other racer on the system.

Poor man's F-Zero my ass..

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Wipeout Pure was overrated on the PSP. I got it when I picked up my PSP and regretted it. Its just so slow, especially after playing games like Outrun 2, Burnout, or FZero GX. One of the times G&T has really burned me on a purchase.

And those screenshots are bullshots. Wipeout pure looks nothing like that, and I doubt Wipeout Pulse will either.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

Poor mans F-zero.

sorry fans...

Except Wipeout on average gets better reviews (excluding the rubbish Saturn, PC or N64 ports) and sells better, right?

Lord Jezo: Wipeout XL isn't the original, it's the second in the series. ;-)

Unco-ordinated on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    Poor man's F-Zero my ass..

Don't worry, I am fully aware this is just my subjective opinion and such, I'm not going to try and convince you that you are wrong.

It's just that if I ever go back and play an older installment in the francshise, I get near zero enjoyment from it, and I think its because, to me at least, the entire series is just about mad graphics, shiney lights and soundtrack. I still enjoy F-zero on the Snes.

LewieP on
  • Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    At least Wipeout doesn't cheat.. at least I don't think it does.

That's one of the reasons F-Zero always got on my nerves... no matter how perfect of a race you were running the opponents would always be one single misstep away, screw up once and they pass you.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • MonaroMonaro Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I tried playing 2097 (XL) some time last year when I felt a pang of nostalgia (after telling someone how fucking awesome it was).

Problem is, the game is so fugly by today's standards that I can't make out the track properly, it's just a mess of fuzzy, low-res polys :-(

Monaro on
    steam_sig.png
  • BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I dont think XL is fugly, I just fucking suck at it because theres no analog control and I'm so used to Fusion (and I'm the only one in the world who seems to love that game).

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • major_tommajor_tom Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Wipeout Pure was overrated on the PSP. I got it when I picked up my PSP and regretted it. Its just so slow, especially after playing games like Outrun 2, Burnout, or FZero GX. One of the times G&T has really burned me on a purchase.

And those screenshots are bullshots. Wipeout pure looks nothing like that, and I doubt Wipeout Pulse will either.

Wow, you must be one crazy speed freak. Either that or you never got to the Phantom speed class on Pure.

major_tom on
    This is what i get for caring about gamercards...
  • ihdihd Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The original Wipeout > all other Wipeout games, including XL.

ihd on
  • EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    I have the Saturn port of WipEout. It's rad and all, but Sony Music owned all of the musicians that were on the PS1 version, so the Saturn port just has generic techno.

WipEout Pure was awesome, and I thought it was great that they put out so much extra DLC shit for free. If I remember right, were there more tracks released for free than shipped with the game?

Those shots look really pretty, hopefully the final product looks comparable.

Einhander on
  • elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Except Wipeout on average gets better reviews...

Silly nitpick: Actually no. Wipeout Pure's average rating is 88.7 on gamerankings, F-Zero GX, in the other hand, has 89. :P

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    That's one of the reasons F-Zero always got on my nerves... no matter how perfect of a race you were running the opponents would always be one single misstep away, screw up once and they pass you.

E-peen mode: Not quite correct. I'm usually having about 1/4 track advantage to next car, even on expert level, without doing snaking or using custom car. :)

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    ihd wrote: »
    Nope, Wipeout 3 for Playstation is awesome. Great modes, great tracks, great graphics and sound. I love the quake so much, I ended most races with half the people dead. The hardest thing to unlock is a sort of cel-shaded series of tracks which basically look like a PS2 game on PS1 hardware.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Man I bloody love the WipEout series. Doubt anything will surpass WipEout 3 Special Edition, but this looks good (though I resent all these ridiculous new teams. Just give me Feisar, Auricom, AGSystems and Qirex, thank you very much)

(Actually just give me Qirex)

Having said that, the last two WipEout games have s ort of missed the point of what I loved about the original series (Fusion was too shooty, Pure hasd slightly iffy handling and got the team balance all wrong (Qirex is supposed to be the fastest in a straight line but be heavy and corner poorly. Instead they made it the slow one with good shields, which is Auricoms specialty)

I remain cautiously optimistic

ben0207 on
  • Resident0Resident0 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Nope, Wipeout 3 for Playstation is awesome. Great modes, great tracks, great graphics and sound. I love the quake so much, I ended most races with half the people dead. The hardest thing to unlock is a sort of cel-shaded series of tracks which basically look like a PS2 game on PS1 hardware.
    Eh?

Any screens of said tracks?

Never known about this?

Resident0 on
    sig.gif
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Resident0 wrote: »
    Eh?

Any screens of said tracks?

Never known about this?
    Can't find any, and it was super hard to unlock any of them anyway. I only ever got the first one...I always meant to go back and get all the rest someday.

Wiki says this:
    The six hidden prototype tracks were tracks that had been drafted but not designed (the track and basics planned but no scenery) which were not going to be included. At the last minute, the developers changed it so that mastering all tracks with all vehicles in a difficulty class would unlock one prototype track. The tracks appeared cel-shaded and very simple in color and design, showing structures built of cubes, simple, featureless tracks and tunnels, and even cel-shaded racing craft.
    While the design was simple, it was also really clean and pleasing to the eye IMO.

EDIT: To clarify, it looks like a PS2 game because of how clean it is, just how some people think Wind Waker looks way better than Twilight Princess...which isn't really a good example because they're on the same hardware, but you get the idea.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Poor mans F-zero.

sorry fans...

Well, that's true now. It used to be awesome back when Psygnosis was actually making it. Sony Studio Liverpool just isn't as good.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007

How far into the game did you get? The first two difficulty levels are a bit on the slow side, but once you're past that it'll give you fucking blisters.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I just picked up Wipeout Pure a month ago; is the free DLC still available? I tried connecting to the Wipeout site once but it kept timing out on me.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • cwapfobrainscwapfobrains Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The DLC can be downloaded from the website on PC and transferred via USB if you can't get the in game site to work.

and hooray for online! Hopefully its full online races and stuff :D

cwapfobrains on
    camo_sig.png
    LoL Summoner: infobrains | XBL: cwap4brains | PSN: infobrains
  • SolSol Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Woah it looks pretty cool, I still haven't picked up WipeOut Pure

Sol on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The DLC can be downloaded from the website on PC and transferred via USB if you can't get the in game site to work.

Cool, thanks! And I totally glossed over the part about infrastructure play in Pulse -- awesomeness. That + being able to transfer your own tunes into the game is completely boss.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • CeppCepp Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It's still available, I downloaded it all a few hours ago via my PSP (in game, not via the webrowser). Seems the eu site has some extra music you can only get via the website though.

Cepp on
  • CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    At least Wipeout doesn't cheat.. at least I don't think it does.

Bullshit. The eToy review was wrong: WipEout PurE uses "rubber band" AI at the start of every race. It's not like Super Mario Kart, which will continue to get faster when you are in front and slower when you are behind, but it is WAY more obvious because of a guaranteed pattern at the beginning of every race:

If you boost when you start the race, you may end up around or near the 1st position, but it's inconsequential because the AI WILL overtake you and continue to do so until you are in last or next-to-last place before the AI relaxes and allows you to move up in position (or possibly just starts playing fair). This usually happens in the first lap and you are already overtaking racers and climbing back up to first by the end of it. The shens seem to end there and the game stops "cheating," but I feel obligated to point it out. You can test this by not boosting and watching as the AI allows you to overtake them much sooner... unfortunately, to earn Gold medals on all the single races, that is not an option (it's about your time and not just your finishing position).

If you get EXTREMELY LUCKY and get the right items to keep the CPU players behind you and maintain your lead, the CPU player AI will not relent: They WILL pass you and you WILL drop to nearly last place, only later in the race. It is not feasible that you can maintain an initial lead for an entire race because it requires the CPU to hit you to keep you in first an unlikely amount of times (in addition to a lot of mines and luck) so by extending the cycle over one lap, you are just cutting in to the time you will have to regain 1st position after they inevitably overtake you.

CZroe on
    edited March 2007
    Is there any way I can get the resource data from my Mac version of Wipeout 2097 an play it on PC? Perhaps with a PC Wipeout XL patch ala Quake 3 Arena for Linux/Windows? It was only a couple bucks at Fry's, so I boughtadated it. As it stands, I'd need some kind of utility to even see the files on the disc.
    mausmalone wrote: »

Poor mans F-zero.

sorry fans...

Well, that's true now. It used to be awesome back when Psygnosis was actually making it. Sony Studio Liverpool just isn't as good.

Actually, Studio Liverpool wasn't responsible for the crap games on PS2. They do the series justice.

How far into the game did you get? The first two difficulty levels are a bit on the slow side, but once you're past that it'll give you fucking blisters.

That was my primary complaint. It was my entry into the series, though I went back and bought some of the others, so the slow initial difficulties muddied my first impression, but it only took about 10mins to unlock a decent difficulty/speed.

CZroe on
    edited March 2007
    Lunker wrote: »

Cool, thanks! And I totally glossed over the part about infrastructure play in Pulse -- awesomeness. That + being able to transfer your own tunes into the game is completely boss.

It will break your ability to sleep and continue a tournament. The game will always lock on the next track if you slept the console with a DLC pack installed making the HUGE Ascention and Descention tournaments nearly impossible to play with all the downloadable track included. Ejecting the MSPD and reinserting it will have the same effect.

CZroe on
  • AtomicBananaAtomicBanana Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The intro to the original game still gives me a tingle down my spine just like it did for the first time I saw it. As a launch title, the whole look and feel of that intro was just jaw dropping - the quality of the FMV for the time, the music... For me personally it was such a special time. Even then I remember seeing this intro and thinking 'that's it, I'm going to be chasing this feeling for the rest of my life' and I still am!

AtomicBanana on
    isonline.AtomicBanana.gif Atomique+Banana.gif
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    elkatas wrote: »
    Except Wipeout on average gets better reviews...

Silly nitpick: Actually no. Wipeout Pure's average rating is 88.7 on gamerankings, F-Zero GX, in the other hand, has 89. :P

Ah! But I was averaging all the Wipeout's (excluding the ports) and comparing it to an average of all the F-Zero's. I don't actually know if it is higher because I couldn't be bothered, but I'm pretty sure it was true.

Unco-ordinated on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Wow, most of those vehicles look rather spartan..

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    edited July 2007
    so apparently there is a "promo" UMD for this game out in Europe and Japan. I have no idea where you would go about getting the actual disc, but there are other ways to get it.

It is single player only, and has 7 tracks and 9 ships, and from what i've played it is very much like pure, in a good way. It definetly looks better, i love the new tracks, and there are some new weapons too. Also, apparently you will be able to make skins for your ships and play with them online :)

cwapfobrains on
    camo_sig.png
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hey. I saw pure sitting on my shelf yesterday and thought how cool it would be if they made a new wipeout for psp. Yay

projectmayhem on
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I like Pure a lot. It's slow, but it's still a lot of fun.

mntorankusu on
  • Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    By what measure is Pure slow? It's pretty damned turtle in the first two classes, but after that it picks right the fuck up.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    By what measure is Pure slow? It's pretty damned turtle in the first two classes, but after that it picks right the fuck up.
    Compared to F-Zero X and GX, at least.

mntorankusu on
    edited July 2007
    I like Pure a lot. It's slow, but it's still a lot of fun.
    Oh don't worry, it gets faster. MUCH faster.

edit: i suppose even the harder difficulties are slower than F-zero GX. but there aren't too many games that get that fast.

cwapfobrains on
    camo_sig.png
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wipeout Pure is probably my most-played PSP game. It and the two Metal Gear AC!D games...

HadjiQuest on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I should really get a psp. I loves me some Wipeout.

And comparing any racing game's speed to F-Zero GX is kind of silly. GX pretty much set a new bar for speed for all racing games, ever.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif