As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

painful growth on my eyelid...

VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I try not to go here too frequently for info, but this one has me annoyed.

Yesterday, my eyelid was perfectly fine. Smooth, no sign of anything abnormal.

I woke up this morning, and there's this growth. it's like a mole, but it's on my eyelid and it hurts when I touch it. It's definitely not a zit, it's solid firm skin. How it grew overnight is a mystery to me... unless it really was there before and I just didn't notice.

Anyways, should I be worried about this... whatever it is? It's definitely abnormally shaped, and kind of growing outward away from the eyelid. I tried not to worry about it today, but it's got me a bit concerned.

3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
VThornheart on

• Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Id suggest going to your doctor if it doesnt go away in a few days or the pain increases.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Is it by the eyelashes or over the eye proper? Could be a clogged hair folicule thats become infected or a Cyst. Probably be a good idea to visit a doctor though. Might have a cream to help clear it faster

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    a penguina penguin Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sounds like a Sty.

I have gotten them before. They hurt, they suck, they go away.

a penguin on
    This space eventually to be filled with excitement
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yep, my wife used to get them. Incidentally, do you wear contacts?

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Get some eye-soap from an eye doctor. I have the same thing - it just showed up over night once and got so bad that i couldn't see. Went away within the week, but now i get them about every 2 months. Apparently they just stick with you -- but the eye soap helps, as soon as I see one forming I scrub the hell out of it with the eye-soap and it doesn't get as big and gross.

mully on
  • Options
    tony_importanttony_important Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    a penguin wrote: »
    Sounds like a Sty.

I have had them too, my general cure is get a nice hot cloth and place it over the eye.

Those things tend to drain themselves under the heat.

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Ah... for reference, it's on the outside of my eyelid, and smack dab in the middle. I'll try to take a picture of it if I can. I don't know if it would qualify as a sty because it's on the outside, and it does seem too far away to be a hair folicle... but I could be wrong. Lemme see what I can do picture wise. =)

EDIT: Okay, picture uploaded for those who wish to see it. =) when I feel it, it feels like... I don't know for sure, like a ragged piece of skin sticking outward perpendicularly from my eye. In the picture though it looks much more smooth than that.
    eyething.jpg

VThornheart on
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It could be a subcutaneous zit. They aren't usually squishy at first

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Aye, in texture it feels more like a very dense clump of dead skin, not much like a zit at all... but indeed that could be it. I'll try waiting a bit before I freak out. It's been annoying me so much today that I can't help but think about it. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Pretty sure it's a stye, as that looks just like what my wife would get. She got them because she wore contacts and developed an allergy to the thimerosal preservative.

Incidentally, after she got lasik surgery she hasn't gotten a stye since.

EggyToast on
  • Options
    iglidanteiglidante Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Looks like a sty to me - early stage, probably. Whenever I've gotten them (maybe three times in the past) they usually start out small and become quite a bit larger. Strange that it isn't red at all, though. My experience has been that they start as a general ache around the eye, and then localize into a swelling.

iglidante on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    a penguin wrote: »
    Sounds like a Sty.

I have had them too, my general cure is get a nice hot cloth and place it over the eye.

Those things tend to drain themselves under the heat.

My father-in-law is an opthamologist and his general advice for all weird eyelid bumps is a hot compress. Works pretty much no matter what it is: stye, pimple, ingrown hair, whatever.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    JadedJaded Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've always found that a hot teabag helps get rid of Sty's.
    Not sure why, but it works... at least it has for me anyways.
    YMMV.

Jaded on
    I can't think of anything clever.
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Doesn't look like a stye to me and I've has a bunch of those. Styes usually involve a bit of swelling.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I talked to my wife -- she says she gets them because of oily tears and low tear production. She says the reason she hasn't gotten them lately is because when her eyes are dry, she uses artificial tears. A hot compress plus plain artificial tears will probably help clear yours up, too.

EggyToast on
  • Options
    StormCrow420StormCrow420 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    maybe it's a tumor...

wait for it...

StormCrow420 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    wait for it...

StormCrow420 on
  • Options
    joraxjorax Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I had what I think is the same thing a while back - also on my eyelid. During a visit to the doctor for something unrelated, I had it checked and was told it was a Molluscum Contagiosum: https://www.google.com/health/ref/Molluscum+contagiosum.

The doctor physically removed it by lancing/scraping it. It wasn't comfortable, but it went away. I then got another about a year after that and it went away after a few weeks.

jorax on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    still waiting for it...

StormCrow420 on
  • Options
    JadedJaded Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    still waiting for it...

You'll be waitnig for awhile, it's not funny.

Also, any type or heat should help anything that is swelling go down. I would suggest you see a Dr. if you don't see results in a couple days.

Jaded on
    I can't think of anything clever.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Aye, thanks for the advice everyone! I tried a bit of heat, and it did make it feel better... and then this morning when I was waking up, I wasn't paying attention in my stumbling discomfort and I pulled on it until it came off. I still don't know quite what it was, and it probably wasn't smart of me to do... it was definitely some kind of cluster of dead skin or something though, it didn't have anything in it that I could tell. But I feel a lot better now... though a bit dumb because I know that wasn't the smartest way to resolve the problem. I don't think clearly in the morning. =)

VThornheart on