As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Using Rosetta Stone without a CD drive

italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
I just bought a new netbook without a CD drive. I've got the Rosetta stone on CDs (legally: I bought them), and I'd like to use it with the new netbook. Is there a way that I can install the software (maybe by installing it on another computer and then using a usb thumbstick or something to add it. Of course I could get an external drive, but then that's just an extra expense.

Any suggestions?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
italianranma on

• Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've been wondering the same thing with other programs for the kids to use on the netbooks. From what I've found, you should be able to create a disk image with another computer and send that to the netbook and mount the image with no trouble.

It never hurts to send an e-mail to them because you never know if they have an easy answer or not.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If you have access to another PC with an optical drive, you can always share that drive over the network to do the install. Does the software do a cd check or something? If so you can either find a crack, or use the other PC to create an iso, transfer the image to the netbook, and then mount the iso.

travathian on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm fairly sure that this program streams from the Cd drive, so I'd try an ISO mounter first

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Do you have Windows XP? If so there is a Virtual CD Drive PowerToy you can get for XP (Here: From Microsoft) that is pretty small and easy to use. So just rip an ISO of the Rosetta CDs, copy them over the network or via USB drive and then mount them and it will treat it just like a real disc.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MegazverMegazver Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I just bought a new netbook without a CD drive. I've got the Rosetta stone on CDs (legally: I bought them), and I'd like to use it with the new netbook. Is there a way that I can install the software (maybe by installing it on another computer and then using a usb thumbstick or something to add it. Of course I could get an external drive, but then that's just an extra expense.

Any suggestions?

Pirate it. \o/

Seriously, that's the only way I can think of for you to use it without a drive.

Oh god, an infraction! What have I done WHAT HAVE I DONE!?

Megazver on
    Chief Tyrol. Academician Megazver of the Jol-Nar Universities
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Suggested he do something that's expressly forbidden by board rules? We've pointed out several ways to run it without a CD. Ripping an ISO and mounting it is easy and can be done largely with tools available for free, and even from Microsoft themselves.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Do you have a USB flash drive? Maybe copy the entire CD to it and try to run it directly on your netbook?

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If you need to make an ISO file, http://www.imgburn.com/ can do the job.

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    and for ISO mounting, Daemon Tools Lite is probably the best. resource-lite and easy to use.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'd still recommend the Virtual CD drive I linked earlier. It's tiny, and easy to install and use. And I've never seen antivirus/antimalware programs freak out over it like they often do with daemon tools.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Thanks for the help guys. As it happened, a buddy of mine had an external CD drive that he didn't need anymore, so I've been using that. I'm going to try to...uh...do those crazy things you said about iso files and mounting (:winky:) anyway.

If an admin wants to they can lock this thread. Thanks!

italianranma on
    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Once you learn about iso files and mounting software you will much appreciate the power they offer.

travathian on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I really would like to start doing ISO mounting. It's one of those areas of computer use that I've never done, but now that I have an incredibly large SATA HDD I really want to do it. After all, nothing annoys me more than needing to have DVD's in my drive to play games. It's why I buy on Steam anymore anyways. :D

Edit: Is there a Vista x64 compatable program out there that can do this? The virtualCD thing up there is only for XP. Granted, I hope to upgrade to Windows 7 here eventually, but I actually do like Vista...

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, Virtual Clone Drive should work on Vista x64. I know it works on Windows 7 64 bit.

LuvTheMonkey on
    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Alright, that was simple enough.. I assume I need to burn an image of the disk before I can mount it though, right? IE this program doesn't make the image itself?

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This is true. Warband mentioned Imgburn, which is also 100% free and can do that job for you. Appears to work on Vista x64 as well.

I can't say what/any copy protection the programs you want to do this with use, so it may not work with all of them - can't hurt to try though.

LuvTheMonkey on
    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, I have imgburn.. and off the bat I just wanted to get Fallout 3 to load. I hate the sound of my DVD-RAM drive spinning up all the time.

The autoplay feature doesn't work, but the game loads up fine. wewt.

Athenor on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Um...unless you're using a different version of Rosetta Stone than I used (version 3) it doesn't stream from the CDs. It installs the entire thing to the hard drive. And it doesn't have any sort of wacky CD copy protection either, so any old mounted ISO should do.

Then you just activate using your key, and you should be fine.

mcdermott on