As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

"Chick" Games

Wise_aWise_a Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Quick question - I have a Wii at home and my wife's birthday is coming up. I'm looking to buy a game for the Wii, then move it into the bedroom so she can play Wii while I'm playing Xbox 360. I'm looking for your game recommendations. She's not much of a gamer, so I looked at Animal Crossing: City Folk and the Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility. I hope some of you guys have experience with these games and can tell me if they're worth it, or recommend something different.

On Amazon, the Harvest Moon game is 49.99 and the Animal Crossing game is 24.99.

Wise_a on

• DanMachDanMach Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    WiiFIT is the most fun I ever had on the Wii, and my mom/sister both loved it.

Its got a bunch of mini-games on it...

DanMach on
  • MogsMogs Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You say she's not much of a gamer. What games, if any, does she already play?

Mogs on
  • Wise_aWise_a Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    She has played WiiFit (we have it) but she didn't really stick with it

She used to play WiiSports when it first came out, but she lost interest after she had tried everything a few times.

Wise_a on
  • ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wii Sports Resort is way better than Wii Sports.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If she doesn't like games in general, getting her a new one probably won't help. Has she expressed interest in any games previously? Or is there a particular genre or kind of game she likes?

Cauld on
  • eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Everyone loves the 2-d marios, and nov 15th is the release of new super mario bros wii

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    eternalbl wrote: »
    Everyone loves the 2-d marios, and nov 15th is the release of new super mario bros wii

Yeah, this.

If her birthday is before that release, the paper mario game for the wii was pretty good in a 2-d platformer way (but with some twists). My wife isn't a big gamer either, but she loved it, and ended up buying some of the old paper mario games on the virtual console after playing through it.

Daenris on
  • HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Did she like the minigames in WiiFit?

You could try Rayman Raving Rabbids if she did, they've got lots of mini-games with more variety and a storyline. What about Dance Dance Revolution?

Hypatia on
    edited October 2009
    Cauld wrote: »
    If she doesn't like games in general, getting her a new one probably won't help. Has she expressed interest in any games previously? Or is there a particular genre or kind of game she likes?

I was kinda wondering about this too.. I'm not positive that what you want to be shooting for here is giving her the gift of "here, go in the other room and play with this thing I bought you that you don't really want so I can play my big boy games".

Maybe you should get some wii/xbox games you would both enjoy playing together?

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • phoxphyrephoxphyre Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Mario Galaxies is something we really enjoyed. And it has a "multiplayer" angle which made the game a *lot* more fun!

Add my vote for the 2D Mario games. We had a ball just watching those get played!

phoxphyre on
    Remember the Slug; They have all the disadvantages of Snails, but without the benefit of home-ownership...
  • RebeccaRebecca Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    How about a gift card to best buy or another store that has games and other merchandise? Go with her and discuss a few of the games to get a feel for what she likes. And if you find she's not really into any of the games go spend the gift card in another department. Spending a few hours together shopping and having a good time is like having two presents.

edit part:

Oh and as a side note I love Carnival Games, Price is Right, Wario Ware Smooth Moves, and Mario Party 8 (lots of mini games in those) anything Lego is cool too.

Rebecca on
  • FuzzFuzz Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    My girlfriend isn't a "gamer" per se, although she does like playing old mario games.

The games we play together include Rockband, Katamari games, Wii Sports games, Mario Kart, Mario Galaxy, and various DS games.

She really likes Mario Kart though, although you really have to hold a newbie by the hand with that one until they get good. I remember one night she almost swore off of playing forever until she miraculously got first place. She beats me every once in a while now.

A lot of it took convincing her it's ok to play a video game, and why it's fun. She didn't really grasp the whole "if it's challenging then why play it? Because the challenge is what makes it fun!" aspect of most games at first.

Fuzz on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Erandus wrote: »

I was kinda wondering about this too.. I'm not positive that what you want to be shooting for here is giving her the gift of "here, go in the other room and play with this thing I bought you that you don't really want so I can play my big boy games".

Pretty much this.

VisionOfClarity on
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Or maybe you should get her a gift she'd actually like and enjoy instead of trying to justify buying a video game "for her". If she's not a gamer, she's not a gamer. Stop trying to beat a dead horse and get her something appropriate.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Brett AshleyBrett Ashley Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Scribblenauts.
    It's the best fun for girls and boys!

Brett Ashley on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    JaysonFour wrote: »

Or maybe you should get her a gift she'd actually like and enjoy instead of trying to justify buying a video game "for her". If she's not a gamer, she's not a gamer. Stop trying to beat a dead horse and get her something appropriate.

Gotta echo the crowd here.

I mean it's her birthday, you should get her something she would like. Now something you think she should like.

If you want to buy her a game just buy her a game not for her birthday and say here, I thought you'd dig this.

Blake T on
    edited October 2009
    Man I totally glossed over the part where it was her birthday. Get her something that makes her feel girly and pretty and that makes her know you know what she likes and what she IS like. She must have been dropping hints or something. Jewelry or something.

Don't be all "Hey happy birthday, you can take this to the bedroom alone and get the F out of my face". I am paraphrasing of course, but you get the drift.

For a girl who isn't really into video games, a game ranks slightly above a blender on the gift chart.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DoctorstrongbadDoctorstrongbad Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wii has many games that are fun for the entire family.

Doctorstrongbad on
  • hamdingershamdingers Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wise_a wrote: »
    Quick question - I have a Wii at home and my wife's birthday is coming up. I'm looking to buy a game for the Wii, then move it into the bedroom so she can play Wii while I'm playing Xbox 360. I'm looking for your game recommendations. She's not much of a gamer, so I looked at Animal Crossing: City Folk and the Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility. I hope some of you guys have experience with these games and can tell me if they're worth it, or recommend something different.

On Amazon, the Harvest Moon game is 49.99 and the Animal Crossing game is 24.99.

CAVEAT: If she ASKED for a game, ignore everything I wrote. I'm going on the assumption the game is more your idea.

As others have said, unless there is more to this (and there probably is) this seems problematic. Although you may not intend it, she may take this as "here play this in the other room so I can play xbox and not feel guilty". Or "play this - I want you to have the same interests as me"

I used to do this with my wife - I'm a big reader and she's not. Every year I would get her a book I thought she would like - even though she didn't ask for one. Eventually I figured it out - she doesn't like to read.

Here's my suggestion:

1. Get her something she wants - something she's asked for or hinted at. If you don't have any idea, ask her to make you a list with an understanding she will get (1/some) of what's on it.

2. Get something to play together on XBOX. My wife and I play Family Game Night on XBLA constantly. It's good stuff. Share the XBOX with her and she won't feel like you are 'cheating on her' with it.

A lot of assumptions and inferring going on by me - feel free to ignore/chastise as appropriate.

hamdingers on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    World of fuckin' Goo

Rent on
  • Shoe-EaterShoe-Eater Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    for your own safety and sanity i agree with everyone here if it's her birthday get her somethign special for her.

now that being said I undertand the goal of trying to find your wife something to do while you play your games.
    I mean it's great to do things together, but it's also important in any relationship to have time apart.

I just encourage my wife to explore hobbies, and try to find things she liked. it took a while to find something, but now she's into sewing making all kinds of stuff,(it's impressive actually she's been making her own clothes).

so now I can get my game on and my wife does her own thing. We still do lots of stuff together, but we now both enjoy having our own time also.

I hope this works out for you.

Shoe-Eater on
    edited October 2009
    I appreciate all the "don't buy her a video game" posts as I didn't clarify really - I'm gonna spend over 200$ on the rest of the "good" stuff for her, I just think dropping 25-40 of that on a wii game for her that she would like is a neat idea.

She spends the time that I am playing video games reading, or sometimes in the other room watching TV. She doesn't get mad or anything, it would just be nice for her to have something more to do if she wanted.

More about her video game preferences - she does NOT like any games that make heavy use of the "joystick" controls, like the two of them that exist on an Xbox 360 controller. She wont even play games that you have to run around and try to do things with that joystick. She used to love playing mario kart, the old SNES version I think. My memory is hazy on that as she only mentioned it a few times.

I'm thinking maybe the Animal Crossing idea might be the way to go as amazon has it at 25$ so its not as big of an investment for something I'm not 100% sure she's gonna love.

What do you think?

Wise_a on
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    My experience with Animal Crossing GC was that it's a game that punishes you for not playing for a while and rewards you for playing daily. Which, for someone who would just want to play once in a while, could be a deterrant, basically weeds pop up, villagers aren't as nice to you, you miss the one item you wanted for your house, you have to sort through mail, etc.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
    edited October 2009
    Mario Party 8 is pretty good times. Wii Sports Resort is way better than Wii Sports. Elebits is somewhat amusing. The Rayman games are pretty fun too.

Wii Sports Resort and Mario Party are probably the deepest titles with the most replayability.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Mario Party and Wii Sports both seem like party games for when you have pals over, not games you play in bed while your husband does his own thing.

• SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ahhh...that makes a lot more sense. It's just a minor gift compared to the rest.

My wife is a gamer so I can't use her as reference but her sister sounds very much like your gf so here are my suggestions:
    - Mario Party, it's fun to play together
    - Mario Kart Wii (No joystick needed, you can use the wheel or just one wii-mote)
    - Wii Points Card (Let her choose her favourite mario games or whatever)
    - Wii Sports Resort

Sipex on
    edited October 2009
    Mario Party and Wii Sports both seem like party games for when you have pals over, not games you play in bed while your husband does his own thing.

See, thats what I was thinking. I already have Mario Kart, and she's not that interested in that game. Maybe its just because the Wii is in the living room and she can't play when I am. I'm thinking either Animal Crossing or Harvest Moon still, but I wonder if Harvest moon is worth the extra 25$?

Also, Paper Mario is 50$ and thats a game that I was thinking she might like.

Wise_a on
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    you know, you might want to try getting her a DS

between Brain Age 1/2, Scribblenauts, Rhythm Heaven, EBA, Sudoku, etc. you might have more luck than a more traditional game like you'd find for the Wii

Usagi on
    edited October 2009
    see thats a good idea, except its out of the price range i wanted to get her - I'm spending over 200$ on one pair of shoes as the "BIG" gift, so I can't afford another 125 on top of that I don't think.

Its a great idea though, cuz then she could be in the living room with me too.

Wise_a on
    edited October 2009
    Look on craigslist.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DoctorstrongbadDoctorstrongbad Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Look on craigslist.

Watch out for Craigslist stalkers. Maybe try ebay?

Doctorstrongbad on
    edited October 2009

See, thats what I was thinking. I already have Mario Kart, and she's not that interested in that game. Maybe its just because the Wii is in the living room and she can't play when I am. I'm thinking either Animal Crossing or Harvest Moon still, but I wonder if Harvest moon is worth the extra 25$?

Honestly, what I would do is buy her a $25 or $30 giftcard to Best Buy, or even better, a mall containing a game store, and explain your idea to her. If she secretly thinks you're dumb she can go get herself something small that isn't a game.

edited October 2009

Honestly, what I would do is buy her a $25 or $30 giftcard to Best Buy, or even better, a mall containing a game store, and explain your idea to her. If she secretly thinks you're dumb she can go get herself something small that isn't a game.

I think that might be the best bet - the idea of offering to go shopping with her is good too!! Thanks everyone!

Wise_a on
  • stager3stager3 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Okay, so my favorite activity on the Wii has always been creating new Miis. That's my idea of a game. I'd never really enjoyed any console game at all untill my boy came home with Boom Blox. If your girl isn't all that into games (like me) this one's worth taking a look at. It's low pressure, mini-game style, single and multi-player goodness.

stager3 on
    "...But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
    I have spread my dreams under your feet;
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

I think that might be the best bet - the idea of offering to go shopping with her is good too!! Thanks everyone!

Really though remember that you are giving her the option of buying a game.

Do not get upset if she does want to buy a game. Remember this.

Also on a side note, unless she really gets into playing the game don't move the Wii. If it's left out there she will be more likely to play it as it is something she can do with you.

Blake T on