As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marginalize On!] The Very Separate World of Conservative Republicans

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Do you really want to bring up the gilded age as a lesson in less government control?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Lilnoobs wrote: »

I just think you're trolling with comments like these. Serfdom and slavery are not races. Neither are the Noble class and commoners.

Say what you will about shoes. At least he has an ethos.
    I don't think he is a troll, more like outnumbered and frustrated

Thanks,
    Yes I do get frustrated so I am going to kinda give a more clear meaning to what I have said.

What I mean by State Rights is in the most literal interpretation of word. I am a science guy I do not like to make thin connections between a historical even to something as literal as this. And yes I understand that State Rights during the civil war were a shell under which slavery was hidden. But this was also part of a larger picture, that included tariffs, foreign politics and a multitude of other reasons. Yes slavery was horrible, but State Rights, I believe, should not have a single reference to a relatively short period in history; considering the issue of States rights goes back to the very constitution.

This said I do believe in a strong unifying government to keep peace between states, set standards, maintain an army, have foreign relations, mail. etc. and interfere with society as little as possible. But a federal government that makes day to day intrusions into my life is too much.

I believe in a society based upon individual responsibility. This said I want to emphasis the need for true individualism. For to be an individual is to be autonomous, and to be autonomous is to be truly free. You are a being unto yourself. And my problem is that government steps in and tries to social engineer. The leading class, whomever that may be at the time, promote whatever belief system they believe to be in their best interest, they care for themselves and nothing more. This is not without exception, but the trend seems that power does corrupt. With a larger, more powerful, central government there is more concentrated power. And look at history, look at the men in power, even the idolized presidents of America. Are half these men good people? Have they really served the American people? Or was it entirely something else (sorry about the rhetorical questions)?

And the more the government steps into our lives the less room we have to grow as people. As humans we must suffer, it is our natural state. Needless suffering of course as avoidable as possible. But suffering is not a bad thing, its how we grow, and learn. And over time as we grow older we come to ourselves better. And any government that comes into my life, and make it "better", does not only scare me but it upsets me. Because this is my life, and if I fail or succeed I wish to know that it is because of me and only me. I will not let my free will be taken away. Can you not see that we as people are not the problem. We are driven against each other through class warfare, and jealousy. But really none of these things exist. Its about living your life, no matter how short or long, and most importantly to love. To love one another no matter "race, color, or creed". And if another person is bigoted, and selfish, how about we rather than than trying to force our beliefs on them, we instead lead by our example. If we all started doing this then society would gradually change of its own fruition.

Ok so i actually kept writing past here but realized it was already way to looong. So I don't know if this clarifies anything or just skews it more. But there is a great quote from CIV IV:

“I have gained this by philosophy: that I do without being commanded what others do only from fear of the law.”
    - Aristotle

Honestly, there is so much silliness in this post that it's hard to unpack it all. You want to bring up history, fine: if you want to find exactly the society you envision, all you really need to do is go back to the turn of the 20th century and see how things worked back then.

Are you more "free" when your unregulated self works in a company town for tiny wages and no upward mobility? Are you more "free" when you can't get health care because it's not worth insuring you? Are you "free" when you're born into this situation and you have zero access to the various services that would let you rise out of terrible poverty? Are you an "autonomous individual" when the lies businesses are allowed to tell make rational decisionmaking impossible?

Your whole political position is based on a ridiculous ideal that has never existed and never will.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Because this is my life, and if I fail or succeed I wish to know that it is because of me and only me.

You better turn off your computer right now, son. If you sell it and use the money to buy a plane ticket to somalia then I'll give you the benefit of the doubt for how much success has been handed to you so far.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Because this is my life, and if I fail or succeed I wish to know that it is because of me and only me.
    I presume you're posting this using the DSL you built yourself from scratch using local plant fibers from the desert island you were airdropped onto alone as an infant.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    ooo I have a piece of literature I wish to bestow on you as a sign of my own elitism.

Hobbes.

Nasty, brutish and short, got it? That is what you want.

theSquid on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That sounds as idealistic as my friends who are pro Anarchy and Communism.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Here's what I don't get shoes

If states rights are so awesome why does my state (california) pass laws I don't like? I therefore think states' rights are terrible. But since it's been well established by you that federal government sucks (a point I totally agree with, I just can't stand how awful Obama has made this country of ours) I think we should instead focus on city rights

Maybe town rights? I dunno. All I know is is that my state is limiting freedoms and I don't like it.

What do you think man? I'm really interested in your opinions and find your thoughts intellectually stimulating, upon further review

Rent on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    man that isn't even that hard a one to answer

just lobby your state to grant city rights

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »

Or just take them. That's what Philly does.

When you account for 50%+ of the state's economy, you can do that.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Well, the city I lived in California did passed laws I didn't like too, so I don't think that's gonna answer the problem.

Perhaps town rights? Or household rights?

Rent on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Rent wrote: »

Well, the city I lived in California did passed laws I didn't like too, so I don't think that's gonna answer the problem.

as a free autonomous individual in the state of california you're certainly free to lobby for that

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Basically what I'm saying is I shouldn't be forced to follow laws I disagree with

Rent on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    You can always just ignore the ones that displease you.

I'm sure that will turn out well.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited October 2009

as a free autonomous individual in the state of california you're certainly free to lobby for that

That seems like a lot of work. How about instead I imply that Obama is destroying america because he's doing things I don't like

Yes, I think I shall do that

Rent on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    like gravity?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    like gravity?
    I shall not submit to the tyranny of weak nuclear forces!

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited October 2009
    like gravity?

Exactly

Rent on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The only law I'm not going to ignore is Poe's

Rent on
  • Options
    Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Basically what I'm saying is I shouldn't be forced to follow laws I disagree with

I'm going to kill you because I believe laws are only there to enforce order, and I don't believe in this order. Order should be natural and if you can't defend yourself from me you don't deserve to live.
    I'm obviously not serious.

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sorta late, but I wanted to jump in and state that just using the term 'state's rights' does not automatically make you a racist, as seemed to be the common conclusion. It was used for wrong purposes, yes, but it's still an important part of the constitution.

As for an example of a non-racist example of how it can be used, I'd say the education system. Lots of libertarians want to abolish the federal department of education and leave it up to the states. A bad idea it may be, that's another debate - but it's still a non-racist use.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

I'm going to kill you because I believe laws are only there to enforce order, and I don't believe in this order. Order should be natural and if you can't defend yourself from me you don't deserve to live.

Also:
    Rent is a soldier and he can/will kill you. :P

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Aristotle wasn't saying he did whatever he fucking wanted. Aristotle was saying you should do good things because you should try to be a good person, not out of fear of repercussion.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Sorta late, but I wanted to jump in and state that just using the term 'state's rights' does not automatically make you a racist, as seemed to be the common conclusion. It was used for wrong purposes, yes, but it's still an important part of the constitution.

As for an example of a non-racist example of how it can be used, I'd say the education system. Lots of libertarians want to abolish the federal department of education and leave it up to the states. A bad idea it may be, that's another debate - but it's still a non-racist use.

NPR had a nice little dig at Repubs last night while mentioning the new marijuana policy.

To paraphrase, "It's odd considering that Conservatives have characteristically been the party that endorses States Rights."

Sheep on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    like gravity?
    I shall not submit to the tyranny of weak nuclear forces!

0055_18.gif

0055_19.gif

0055_20.gif

0055_21.gif

0055_22.gif
    I'm sorry everyone.

Qingu on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Damnit Qingu, now I have to go bleach my eyes. I hope you're happy.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Good god I was hoping never to see that again.

No that's not true, I was hoping it would spontaneously explode and delete itself by the pure energy of its wrongness.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I love how the kid in that comic looks like something out of a Hitler youth poster.

I also love how it makes up information regarding every pre-homosapien fossil discovered (seriously, "experts" do not believe that Lucy was a 3 foot tall man, also, what the fuck is a New Guinea man? I think Chick just made that one up).

Jack Chick just comes off as mighty bitter.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2009
    So let's drag this thread back onto the "Republicans have a marginal mindset". There is actually probably enough evidence within this very thread to expand the concept to Libertarians.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Don't they mean the scary, flayer like species which may or may not have existed? Like, may have existed recently and raided human towns to kill them and eat their skin?

I wish I thought I was joking.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That comic is almost as ridiculous as Liberality for All. Almost.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Don't they mean the scary, flayer like species which may or may not have existed? Like, may have existed recently and raided human towns to kill them and eat their skin?

I wish I thought I was joking.

.... Now I'm curious.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »
    That comic is almost as ridiculous as Liberality for All. Almost.

It's Jack Chick. It's even more ridiculous.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »

Or just take them. That's what Philly does.

When you account for 50%+ of the state's economy, you can do that.

Pittsburgh accounts for 48%. The remaining 2% comes mainly from Amish spiced butters and handicrafts.

Hachface on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wrong sir!

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Irond Will wrote: »
    So let's drag this thread back onto the "Republicans have a marginal mindset". There is actually probably enough evidence within this very thread to expand the concept to Libertarians.

I'm only part way through reading the PDF from the OP but I'm not sure how they can say taking samples from two cities is a good representation of the republican base.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    VeritasVR wrote: »

Also:
    Rent is a soldier and he can/will kill you. :P

I hope everyone knows that I was joking

I don't actually believe any of what I just posted

Also, I'm a nice guy I won't kill you. I swear. Honest. PeregrineFalcon can vouch for me

Rent on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Also, I'm a nice guy I won't kill you. I swear. Honest. PeregrineFalcon can vouch for me

Because you'll kill him if he doesn't, right?

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »

Because you'll kill him if he doesn't, right?

KalTorak can also vouch for me. I'm a good guy.

<.<

<.<

Rent on
  • Options
    lenore beadsmanlenore beadsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

No kidding. Reading the original PDF, one of my two main objections is that in the circles I run in, the people who have these persecuted feelings and think Glenn Beck is a prophet who speaks the truth in the face of opposition and feel so marginalized and forced to be politically correct and feel victimized by accusations of racism etc. absolutely do not identify as Republicans. They are not "self-identified conservative Republicans." Last week, a direct quote from a family member who fits this profile almost exactly: "I'm no Republican, and I never have been."

Dude's never voted for a Democrat, either.

lenore beadsman on
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

No kidding. Reading the original PDF, one of my two main objections is that in the circles I run in, the people who have these persecuted feelings and think Glenn Beck is a prophet who speaks the truth in the face of opposition and feel so marginalized and forced to be politically correct and feel victimized by accusations of racism etc. absolutely do not identify as Republicans. They are not "self-identified conservative Republicans." Last week, a direct quote from a family member who fits this profile almost exactly: "I'm no Republican, and I never have been."

Dude's never voted for a Democrat, either.

That's part of the point of the article, I believe. What it means to be a "Republican" is so far down the drain that we have the GOP catering to a "conservative base" even if the persons don't identify as "Republicans".

The issue is that there are tons and tons of us for whom the GOP doesn't really represent, and neither do the Democrats.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg