As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

D&D4E "Stick In The Mud" Game Interest/Recruit

• Options
    samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Rius wrote: »
    Good god, there's a million characters in this thread.

It's the only recruiting thread going on. So everyone wants in. I'm going to skip this one. I may try my hand at DMing and run a pre-made adventure just for the hell of it. And to see the other side of the board.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    susansusan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It's the only recruiting thread going on. So everyone wants in. I'm going to skip this one. I may try my hand at DMing and run a pre-made adventure just for the hell of it. And to see the other side of the board.

^^^YES!^^^

We DM's want to play...

susan on
    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
  • Options
    adventfallsadventfalls Why would you wish to know? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Heck, I've had no luck getting into anything. I'd contribute.

adventfalls on
    NintendoID: AdventFalls 3DS Code: 3454-0237-6080
  • Options
    soxboxsoxbox Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Found near an egg on a mountain-top, Sun Wukong was raised to be the funkiest monk that ever popped. While he may not know every magic trick under the sun, he tried to tease the gods so that everyone could have some funny. What a cocky, saucy monk this one is.

The gods were angry and punished him, stripping him of his power and banishing him until he was saved by a passing priest, and the was the start of his pilgrimage quest.
    monkeymagic1143458088.jpg

The power of Monk is irrepressible!

soxbox on
  • Options
    residueresidue Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The OP mentions "no monster races". Which ones would fall into this category? I assume he means kobolds, goblins or what have you, but could he also refer to dragonborn? I mean, they're monsters in my eyes, but maybe I'm just... uuh.. a speciest.

residue on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    He's talking about the Monster Manual races.

adventfalls on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    residue wrote: »
    The OP mentions "no monster races". Which ones would fall into this category? I assume he means kobolds, goblins or what have you, but could he also refer to dragonborn? I mean, they're monsters in my eyes, but maybe I'm just... uuh.. a speciest.
    [post=11952987]Asked[/post] and [post=11953871]answered[/post] already: No "back of the Monster Manual" type races designed for NPC creation. If it has a proper write-up, it's good.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    residueresidue Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Alright. Thanks for that :)

residue on
  • Options
    cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Is there an ETA on the submission window closing?

cytorak on
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    probably monday

keep 'em comin

yeah, i've got a lot of applications

yeah, it's a lot to read

yeah, i'd like to start soon

but i'm mining them for setting ideas even if the character does not make it in

and will give credit where credit is due, naturally

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    DajianDajian Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The anticipation has me on pins and needles :D

Dajian on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    SUBMISSIONS CLOSED

to the players who have submitted (to me... muahaha, etc) : gimmie time for selections 'cuz material to read

aaaand i'm categorizing by role because i think all the cool kids do that in their recruitment threads now.

DEFENDERS (10 choices)
    Dokhan, Fighter by destroyah87 (goliath points and i wonder sometimes exactly what 'services' people are paying to 'retain' if you know what i mean. i mean that my mind is in the gutter guys)

Terrak, Warden by IAmUnaware (she-hulk... i mean goliath! also 'slightly less brutal squalor' has a nice ring to it and fits with basically the crapsack world we're all up ins. yes i wrote all up ins, deal with it)

Vartan, Swordmage by Ain Soph (chicks dig adventurers... well they do when they've got enough plunder to show them a good time, kind of like in the R.E. Howard sort of way. man that dude was so sexually confused and misanthropic... i can't say i will try not to channel him from time to time but i will try to try)

Alesombra Cylcrest, Fighter by cytorak (got tired of fat merchants... man haven't we all. i mean a lady needs some excitement in her life guys let her take some community college courses or cut some bad guys up once in a while)

Verdant, Warden by cytorak (robot+nature= frikkin sweet. now if only i could go back in time and destroy the idiots who made "full metal alchemist" i could love warforged with a heart of pure gold)

Krivanalandros, Fighter by bladecruiser (dude probably needs to chill out occasionally yknow)

Vagabond, Swordmage by bladecruiser (he sorta looks like a chick but he's half elf so be open minded guys. it's really hard for me to play japanese RPG's by the way. not just because final fantasy sucks *collective gasp* okay okay i was kidding. fuck man this is a tough room. so what's the deal with airplane peanuts?)

Uthal Thalai, Warden (from now on, 'un-nature' is a word forever so let it be written. WRITE IT GUYS)

Mika Sorban, Paladin by adventfalls (a woman's got to do what a woman's got to do... well especially when an exarch of avandra says 'hop to it sister'. even if she oughta be barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen with my... OW OW STOP HITTING ME I DIDN'T MEAN IT)

Gormil Treestriker, Fighter by bearrorist (oddy enough I used to have a job a lot like what he was doing before he became an adventurer. except axes instead of hammers which is NOT as cool.)

Ulfgar Ironarms, Fighter by bearrorist (basically the opposite of the kid threatened with going to military school if he didn't get his grades up. dudes i need to watch American Beauty and also Freaks and Geeks again. man why do the TV shows I like get cancelled early. and no you assholes i do not own a long brown trenchcoat)

Torivos, Warden by Rainfall (I would rather chug warm gorilla sweat than what this guy drinks... bleh. i guess good backstories make you feel a little sick inside sometimes.)

LEADERS (7 choices)
    Urza Tanaka, Artificer by destroyah87 (treasure hunting is a noble endeavor you guys... i mean this is D&D)

Balthor Brassbeard, Whqmqn... er Shaman by destroyah87 (dwarves and alliteration, together again. this is not a bad thing by the way FYI. I had my fingers in the wrong position when writing "Shaman" but it looked kinda cool and left it that way)

Barnago Ilorhein, Bard by Scosglen ('presience' rolls so nicely off the tongue. but keep it in your mouth right now boy this is not a third date and i'm not that kind of girl)

Diodoros Pitanos, Warlord by jimninja (chaos scar truther, would have a blog if they existed. OPEN YOUR EYES SHEEPLE THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T WANT YOU TO KNOW AND DID YOU NOTICE HOW THE SCAR ISN'T EVEN CONSISTENT WITH ACTUAL COMETS I MEAN COME ON AND JOHN TITOR WAS RIGHT)

Marin, Bard by IAmUnaware (Cheech got sang out of town... ain't that a bitch. seriously that's some bloodclot fuckery and ting, star. alright i am also trying to play GTA4 at the moment so I am busted.)

Haskan Pellicas, Warlord by adventfalls (who the fuck do meteors think they are falling wherever they want to? this dude means to find out. was it a meteor or a comet. i get so confused! but maybe nobody knows. the world, it is full of mysteries)

Rena Shepard, Cleric by hylianbunny (HYLIAN YOU GET ME A CHARACTER SHEET OR I SWEAR TO GOD THE WEDDING IS OFF)

STRIKERS (18 choices, as usual over twice the submission of leaders)
    Sun Wukong, Monk by soxbox (like the journey to the west reference + i sense the spirit of bruce leroy)

Kodor, Rogue by El Skid (just a sheet but you know, goliath. but Skid. Fix.)

Garrahd, Barbarian by IAmUnaware (halfling headbutts! seriously i'm a tall guy the idea of a halfling headbutting me makes me hurt in my special purpose)

Vax, Sorcerer by IAmUnaware (incompetent mastermind... seriously this is the best kind of mastermind. for further information i suggest 'The Venture Brothers'. dudes the season premiere yesterday was good.)

Krull Zaghnar, Ranger by kuhlmeye (swords for everyone! but the category is s-words Krull.)

Toryc, Gnoll Assassin by cytorak (he's okay for a gnoll. okay i'm lying i hate gnolls but he's okay. not Toryc's fault but Gnolls riding Giant Abyssal Hyenas happened to my IRL group recently and I'm trying not to be a bigot about it. okay i'm not but let's just pretend i am)

Orin, Ranger by jimninja (NES reference in thread... jim knows me too well. also the creation of this character basically clears the name of Orin from the taint of Aquaman. did I just say 'taint of aquaman'? aegugh.)

The Gnome, Barbarian by Mr_Rose (a short Andrew WK of adventurers... party party party we're going to have a OH GOD SOMEONE STOP HIM HE'S CUTTING OFF MY KNEECAPS)

Veris, Thief by hotran (points for using the words "thief" and "baubles". my second character in AD&D was an elf thief back in the day, but she was a chick elf because i was like 12 and you know... okay maybe you don't but whatever. STOP LOOKING AT ME LIKE THAT)

Rieta Kilvas, Warlock by adventfalls (if you thought parents of child actors were bad you didn't grow up like this gal. also it was post 69 so abiligatory 'giggity'. goddamnit why do i quote family guy even though the only thing i can really enjoy watching anymore is the 'blue harvest' special. because star wars guys)

Brom Swampgale, Sorcerer by Dajian (rides the lightning, eats gators, inner child tainted by shellfish... rock and roll motherfuckers... whether you get picked or not this has awesome character of any sort potential written all over its face in sharpie marker because he passed out with his squatter friends)

Nex, Assassin by susan (is there a monogram on those white gloves? i hope you never have to find out dudes. pink panther reference irresistible here people. watch the second movie first, seriously you will like it better as a whole if you do. peter sellers we hardly knew ye)

Marylin Rounder, Ranger by Mr_Rose (third person crazy and there's a spin me like a record baby joke here. youtube it for us, i am too lazy.)

Murg, Avenger by deadonthestreet (ain't it a bitch you leave fucked up wartorn outer planes and find your way to nice mundane material planes that got fucked up by shit that may have possibly fallen out of aforementioned outer nastiness? dude has the worst luck)

Shrike Flynn, Warlock by Fiaryn (guys if you read anything read this: do. not. fuck. with. a. dead. man. also don't ask him about barrows and if he ever met tom bombadil he will probably not think it is funny)

Keylet, Avenger by Rainfall (nice legs, big sword, open mind... seriously I would marry her instead of Hylian. Did you hear my Hylian? miss keylet here may have already stolen me and my fragile heart from you.)

Gennal Aleman, Warlock by Fencingsax (inheritance blown the fuck up, can't get rid of the voices, compelled to do some awesome shit because he ended up with super powers as a result. having a comic book backstory is a good thing dudes i actually mean this)

Tavar, Avenger by El Skid (i love me some devas, maybe because like this dude getting born in the material world over and over again has a serious downside. he got some mr. spock going on too. i will get choked up at his funeral.)

CONTROLLERS (9 choices... only one short of the defenders!)
    Kudai, Invoker by destroyah87 (what's this avandra thing all about? fortune and glory, short round... fortune and glory)

Temperance, Psion by cytorak (cmon have a drink lady what's in a name. i'm not sure how i feel about psions but i need to get over my irrational fear of imaginary characters being able to read my mind)

Kravoc, Wizard by IAmUnaware (has to know... like for serious. man don't send a hireling to do a PC's job though, that's just being a professional)

Zarra, Seeker by cytorak (BOOOOOOMERANG! seriously guys boomerang? you all should think this is cool. also that's not a knife... THIS is a knife. black female crocodile dundee with pointy ears somehow manages to get a thumbs up from me. and by somehow i mean FUCK YES IT DOES)

Mia, Wizard by bladecruiser (trust fund adventurers don't believe in practical clothing... you gotta look good when you blow some dudes up and if you do it without breaking a heel you are the shit)

Trueshot Aelar, Seeker (shooter of tough targets, recalcitrant wildlife, and oh yeah there was something about a village that destroyed his crazy daughter. man this comet was really an asshole)

The Hooch, Seeker by Saurfang (dude got his drank on alla time cuz... well the dude ain't a choice about it guys so don't judge okay. i have drank something homemade referred to as 'hooch' at one point and thankfully did not go blind. yes, i am really that country.)

Banmaccon, Invoker by Rainfall (meta stuff bear with me but looks like man-bacon crossed with a raccoon which is somebody's thing out there maybe i don't really know. but he has my favorite level 1 daily power at the moment also)

Frotha Skorrisvar, Druid
    by jimninja (sweet name, left Hammertime with his ram-hammer to ram up some scar, and he got some old circle druidism going on. these dudes built stonehenge, truther blog to come soon)

HYBRIDS (only 1 smartypants realized this was legal under my character submission rules)
    Vimak the Mighty, Fighter/Warlord Hybrid by Mr_Rose (+goliath +onlyhybridsubmission +deaf... lou ferrigno fuck yeah. man if only they hadn't done that made for TV movie where john rhys davies played kingpin. fuck. that. shit.)

So gimmie some time to sort through this and take notes and like accept the begging for my favor or berating me (both are of equal effectiveness) and so i can make difficult choices and we shall see what happens.

Late submissions will be accepted if you are very very kind, complimentary and gracious or very very caustic, insulting and rude.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Ooh, don't forget William 'Sexy Chocolate' Harris, Gnome Bard, pg 2!

susan on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    i kind of forgot him on purpose because he was made for another campaign and that sorta put me off

he didn't make me feel special

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    Kodor, Rogue by El Skid (just a sheet but you know, goliath. but Skid. Fix.)

Sorry, been a bit busy.

Post edited to add some backstory!

Mmmmmm...backstory.
    El Skid wrote: »
    Adding a second character: Kodor the Goliath Rogue.
    As a young Goliath, Kodor was teased because he was so much smaller than his breatheren. He didn't have their height, their weight, their muscles... Quite a few of them, in fact, hinted that he was some sort of half-breed, that some human had snuck in and had his way with his mother. Well, Kodor couldn't stand there and take that! He...got his ass handed to him. Over and over.

Eventually, while healing from his latest beating, Kodor discovered that his small (for a Goliath) size and nimble fingers gave him the perfect way to exact revenge. His "friends" had their belongings mysteriously vanish, their unmentionables displayed in full view of everyone, and their lunch money surprisingly vanish.

Unfortunately, Kodor was pretty much the only suspect, so they beat the snot out of him and took his (formerly their) lunch money.

"Bugger this" said Kodor, "I'm going to find a place where I'M the big one, I'm not going to just sit here and take this!"

And so he wandered off, and took up residence in a dwarven city by the name of Overlook. Where EVERYONE was smaller than he was. He kept up his thieving ways, and eventually was caught and dragged before a magistrate (it took 7 of them to drag him- he was really quite pleased about that). The dwarves could tell they couldn't trust Kodor as far as they could throw him, so they put a Gaes on him- he must travel to the Scar and cleanse the area as punishment for his crimes:

As long as ye shall breathe,
    And blood shall flow from your heart
    Shall ye seek ta rid the world of the Scar,
    An' steal not an' break the laws o' the land not
    So long as the Scar do corrupt the land.

Kodor dropped his shoulders and accepted the Gaes, and moved (quite poutingly, I'll admit) towards the Scar. There to face whatever danger and chaos awaits him.

The dwarves were glad to be rid of him, even if the "Gaes" had no real magic behind it, the Goliath didn't seem to know that... And by the looks of it he'd be far away before he ever realized that.

El Skid on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Kodor is: The Little Goliath Who Could (Be a Jerk)

I shed a tear.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Kodor is: The Little Goliath Who Could (Be a Jerk)

I shed a tear.

Hey, don't make Kodor come over there and get his ass kicked by you! :P

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    ha

they put gays on him

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    ha

they put gays on him

Hey hey.

Geases are serious bidness.

Gaeses not so much.

So what if Kodor doesn't know the difference :P

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    also "some little human did your mom" has got to be one of the worst insults ever for a goliath

kinda implies that your dad came up short, so to speak

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    Ain SophAin Soph Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    For some reason i got the mental image of a bunch of goliath kids crying to about their lunch money being stolen. "Mooooom!"

Ain Soph on
    :whistle:
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    ha

they put gays on him

The Gay Virus, if you will. He has been gayed.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    ha

they put gays on him

The Gay Virus, if you will. He has been gayed.

He's super. Thanks for asking.

adventfalls on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    i kind of forgot him on purpose because he was made for another campaign and that sorta put me off

he didn't make me feel special

:cry:

And actually, Nex just got in to another game, so I suppose I shall withdraw at this time.

Good luck everyone, and good gaming!

susan on
  • Options
    hotranhotran Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Horseshoe, I can offer you exactly 1/4 of a human soul for a spot. The other 3/4 are....well...spoken for.

hotran on
    The Long Way Down: Clank, Warforged Fighter
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Horseshoe, I can get you a pony. Because let's face it- an unused horseshoe is an unhappy horseshoe.

adventfalls on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    i think we knew who built the "king's wall" now

pony2.jpg

shetland pony. legend of the lands beyond the Chaos Scar

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Man it is a crime that there is no "This thread is just for Kate Beaton" anywhere on this forum.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    well the SE++ webcomics thread was all about kate beaton for a while

then beartato came along

and they've got this creepy stalker-person obsession for it now

like anakin skywalker creepy

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    shoe don't cross the streams

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    you are to blame arc

you know this

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    well the SE++ webcomics thread was all about kate beaton for a while

then beartato came along

and they've got this creepy stalker-person obsession for it now

like anakin skywalker creepy

http://www.shortpacked.com/d/20050523.html

As much as I hate Shortpacked for what it's become, this is funny and pertinent.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Aww man I can't wait to see who gets in! Dun dun dunnn!

And seriously a lot of good competition out there. A lot of sweet apps.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    haha, Horeshoe I love all the character comments!

Dajian on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The comments were awesome, and I've got my fingers crossed for selection!

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    PLAYER LIST

decisions were difficult... flavor, mechanics, campaign and such were all weighed equally... had to pull the trigger and make 'em.
    DEFENDER
    Gormil Treestriker, Dwarf Fighter whom shall be played by by bearrorist

LEADERS (yes that is plural)
    Urza Tanaka, Artificer whom shall be played by destroyah87

Rena Shepard, Cleric whom shall be played by hylianbunny.

STRIKER
    Keylet, Avenger whom shall be played by Rainfall.

CONTROLLER
    The Hooch, Seeker whom shall be played by Saurfang.

Now I must take notes and stuff and finetooth comb characters to make sure errthing is hunky dory. But yeah this is the list it seems.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Dang, Well good luck all and have fun. Looks like this will be a good campaign.

Dajian on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Dajian wrote: »

I echo this sentiment. Have fun, guys!

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    cytorak wrote: »
    Dajian wrote: »

I echo this sentiment. Have fun, guys!

I will throw in pretty much the exact same feelings.

Kodor is sad, but then, Kodor was already pretty sad to begin with :P

Have fun all!

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Khodor will be an NPC

as will most of the player submissions if I ever manage to eventually fit them in!

all of ye shall live on in the thread, as will your ideas

which are now mine

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg