As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wait a sec...S.T.A.L.K.E.R.?

• GiganticusGiganticus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Found the Vista crashing bug and a fix for it from the NVidia forums.

(You'll need to be an Administrator)

If you can grab the 1.0000 World Wide or 1.0001 World Wide memory fixed .exe(s) and just copy it into your STALKER/bin folder (backup your old one for future patches). Then follow the steps from 7 onwards. If you have the US version (until we get pre-fixed .exes) or (naughty) NoDVD versions, then follow these instructions.

1 - First, you'll need to grab and install Visual Studio C++ Express from Microsoft. It's free so don't sweat it.
    2 - Once installed, you'll need to update it.
    3 - Backup the XR_3DA.exe file. Just in case.
    4 - Start -> Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition -> Visual Studio Tools -> Visual Studio 2005 Command Prompt
    5 - Navigate to your STALKER directory.
    • If you don't know how to navigate in DOS, follow this:
    • "cd c:\Program Files\" ENTER
    • usually it's "cd THQ" ENTER
    • "cd s" don't press enter, press tab and it will cycle through the directories till it gets to STALKER, without you having to type the entire longassed name. Press enter once it's come up.
    • "cd bin" ENTER
    6 - "editbin.exe /LARGEADDRESSAWARE XR_3DA.exe" ENTER. Should come up with a Microsoft copyright or trademark thingy. This means success. Check the modified date/time on your XR_3DA.exe to make sure. Close this command prompt.
    7 - Windows + R. Type cmd and press enter. You'll get a standard command prompt. "BCDEDIT /Set IncreaseUserVa 3072" ENTER. Should say "Operation Completed Successfully" or something similar.
    8 - Make sure that your RAM + Virtual Memory total is over 3 gigs. It should be this anyway most of the time, but make sure.
    9 - Restart Vista.

Success!

Thanks go to Zetx for hosting the files for you all

EDIT: this worked for me and others. Not had a single crash since IME. Except other fucked up crashes that XP users also get. Yay!

EDIT2: this will work with the US and WW releases, patched and unpatched, and their corresponding NoDVDs. Not the Russian Starforce one or the D2D one.

Giganticus on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Will you marry me?

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Dinosaur_NeilDinosaur_Neil Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    i'm really digging this game, but sometimes i just want to cry, from horrible retarded ai, in this one part i had to save this dude, and it's like he went out of his way repeatedly to get himself killed, it toke me like 20 times to do it with him living, and some very creative thinking on my part, i like totally ninjad these two guys, i still think i'm pretty early on in the game, but i would like some new clothes, i'm still wearing the one you start the game off with, and i don't really know how artifacts work too well, or what the hell those weird transparent bubbles are that kill you if you go through them. still cool game though.

Dinosaur_Neil on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Degrading armor wouldn't be bad if it was easier to repair or re-get like guns are.

captaink on
  • SladvanSladvan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    fsmith1 wrote: »
    JJ wrote: »
    What's this I keep hearing about changing weight values and such? How I mine for values?

They did? Now that you mentioned it it seems I can carry more shit.

Which is good because I'll be spending lots of time ferrying shit back to the trader who pays out jack unless its an artifact.

No, I mean people have been mentioning a way to change weight values and such. Saying "I'll lower the weight of ammo" and such. I just want to know how to do this.

You need a tool to unpack all the gamedata files, back them up of course, then edit them. You can also adjust what traders sell, costs, gravity, item stats and whatnot.

Sladvan on
    ken2.png
  • Mr. AzMr. Az Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    You know what's an awesome artifact? Flash.

+76 Endurance and -10 Electric.

You only ever encounter Electric damage in anomalies, so no biggie. But slap on a couple +76 Endurances, you can run three times as long and you regain stamina wicked fast.

There's also a +103 Endurance version (don't remember the exact name).
    With it and a Flash I could run non-stop without losing stamina if I kept my total weight at 50 pounds or under.

Mr. Az on
    tf2_sig.png
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Dashui wrote: »
    They really have no fucking excuse not to fix this. It's a huge disservice to us, the fans. I waited over four years for the game, imported the limited edition from overseas, and then find out I can't enjoy it because of their laziness. I love the game, but I'm having a hard time loving GSC/THQ right now.

To be fair I don't think Vista is a supported OS for the game.

tofu on
  • KronKron Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

You only ever encounter Electric damage in anomalies, so no biggie. But slap on a couple +76 Endurances, you can run three times as long and you regain stamina wicked fast.

You know what's an awesome combination? One of those (or even a sparkler, the big blue ball) and a pair of fireballs. This gives -40 radiation at the cost of -10 lightning resistance. Since I haven't found a flash yet, I'm running a Soul, a Meat Chunk, 2 Fireballs, and a Sparkler, set for venturing into the more radioactive parts of X18.

What are you guys running on your belts?

Kron on
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    stratego wrote: »
    What's this I keep hearing about changing weight values and such? How I mine for values?

They did? Now that you mentioned it it seems I can carry more shit.

Which is good because I'll be spending lots of time ferrying shit back to the trader who pays out jack unless its an artifact.

No, I mean people have been mentioning a way to change weight values and such. Saying "I'll lower the weight of ammo" and such. I just want to know how to do this.

You need a tool to unpack all the gamedata files, back them up of course, then edit them. You can also adjust what traders sell, costs, gravity, item stats and whatnot.

You could just you know, use one of those trainers floating around that lets you turn off the weight limit entirely. Then I dunno..use your discretion.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Kron wrote: »

You know what's an awesome combination? One of those (or even a sparkler, the big blue ball) and a pair of fireballs. This gives -40 radiation at the cost of -10 lightning resistance. Since I haven't found a flash yet, I'm running a Soul, a Meat Chunk, 2 Fireballs, and a Sparkler, set for venturing into the more radioactive parts of X18.

What are you guys running on your belts?

Urchin, Mama's Beads, Soul, Flash, and one I forget. I usually switch that one out for a second Flash for my return trips.

DarkPrimus on
    edited March 2007
    Giganticus wrote: »
    Found the Vista crashing bug and a fix for it from the NVidia forums.
    • (You'll need to be an Administrator)
    • First, you'll need to grab and install Visual Studio C++ Express from Microsoft. It's free so don't sweat it.
    • Once installed, you'll need to update it.
    • Backup the XR_3DA.exe file. Just in case.
    • Start -> Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition -> Visual Studio Tools -> Visual Studio 2005 Command Prompt
    • Navigate to your STALKER directory.
      • If you don't know how to navigate in DOS, follow this:
      • "cd c:\Program Files\" ENTER
      • usually it's "cd THQ" ENTER
      • "cd s" don't press enter, press tab and it will cycle through the directories till it gets to STALKER, without you having to type the entire longassed name. Press enter once it's come up.
      • "cd bin" ENTER
    • "editbin.exe /LARGEADDRESSAWARE XR_3DA.exe" ENTER. Should come up with a Microsoft copyright or trademark thingy. This means success. Check the modified date/time on your XR_3DA.exe to make sure.
    • "BCDEDIT /Set IncreaseUserVa 3072" ENTER. Should say "Operation Completed Successfully" or something similar.
    • Make sure that your RAM + Virtual Memory total is over 3 gigs.
    • Restart Vista.
    Success!

EDIT: this worked for me. Not had a single crash since. Except other fucked up crashes that XP users also get. Yay!

Since you're not checking IRC, you buttes hole. Is the date suppose to show up changed? It didn't for me, and I followed every instruction to the letter.

Edit: Mother fucker, after re-installing the game still doesn't display the God damned game world. It only displays the UI and the skybox. I'm really, really upset right now.

Dashui on
    edited March 2007
    tofu wrote: »
    Dashui wrote: »
    They really have no fucking excuse not to fix this. It's a huge disservice to us, the fans. I waited over four years for the game, imported the limited edition from overseas, and then find out I can't enjoy it because of their laziness. I love the game, but I'm having a hard time loving GSC/THQ right now.

To be fair I don't think Vista is a supported OS for the game.

To be fair this bug would exist on XP machines too if it weren't for the fact that XP uses less RAM itself.

Dashui: that bug can happen on nVidia machines when AA/AF are enabled and so is Dynamic Lighting of any form (Object or Full). Turn it off ingame and at the control panel. And it'll fix. I know I told you this on IRC but others may be having the same issue.

Also, yeah the modified time should change to the time of your command. Or it might be the accessed time. I can't remember. I forget things.

Giganticus on
    edited March 2007
    The fix Giganticus posted fixed my crashing problems. Hooray!

Dashui on
  • NevNev Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Does anyone have the Giganticus memory fix applied to an unpatched 1.0 executable? If so, could someone e-mail it to me? I would appreciate it a lot. :)

Nev on
    edited March 2007
    Nev wrote: »
    Does anyone have the Giganticus memory fix applied to an unpatched 1.0 executable? If so, could someone e-mail it to me? I would appreciate it a lot. :)

You'll still need to do this part of the fix:
    • "BCDEDIT /Set IncreaseUserVa 3072" ENTER. Should say "Operation Completed Successfully" or something similar.
    • Make sure that your RAM + Virtual Memory total is over 3 gigs.
    • Restart Vista.

The BCDEDIT doesn't need Visual Studio so this'll probably work from a normal command line (EDIT: it does). And I guess you'll need the non-US version?

Disregard, I messed it up.

EDIT2: Gonna reinstall STALKER, just for you Nev! Then I'll upload the patched one too afterwards. This means you or anyone else outside the US can do the fix avoiding the whole Virtual Studio stuff.

Giganticus on
  • electronicmajielectronicmaji __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    well im gonna install the patch and boot up in a few ....lets see if its better than half life 2

electronicmaji on
    Top Weekly Artists
    Electronicmaji.gif
    edited March 2007
    Just for me? Hah, I only meant in case someone already has it applied to the unpatched version. And yeah, unfortunately, I'm running the international version, so I guess I'll have to download visual c++. Thanks anyway, very appreciated. :)

Nev on
    edited March 2007
    Just for me? Hah, I only meant in case someone already has it applied to the unpatched version. And yeah, unfortunately, I'm running the international version, so I guess I'll have to download visual c++. Thanks anyway, very appreciated. :)

Nononono, I have the Euro version too. I'm patching the file RIGHT NOW so just wait a few.

Giganticus on
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hmm... I'm finally angry

Not about the game. Game's fine, though I'm getting my ass kicked atm(but hey, I'm trying to make it hard, so hehe). No, I can't run the game in DX9 mode. No, I don't mean it won't run well. I mean the game won't allow me to. In the options, I'm not allowed to change it from static lighting. I can change other things, but not that. I've gone into the user.ltx, and manually changed it. It changes it back.

Come on stalker. I don't care if it would be a slideshow for me. I can turn down other stuff, and look at some pretty stuff before changing it back. Don't make my choices for me!

Btw, specs:

1 gig ram
    Radeon 9700 pro
    Intel P4 2.40ghz

Its nothing great, but I run the game quite well in static mode, and I bet I could get at least 10fps in object dynamic. I've played and beaten games on 10-20fps before.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Fuck I'd rather have the game maxed out with good frames in dx8 then run like shit in dx9.

I'd like to never go back to Perfect Dark frame rates.

JJ on
    edited March 2007
    Fuck I'd rather have the game maxed out with good frames in dx8 then run like shit in dx9.

I don't want to play at a bad framerate, I just want to see how it looks in dx9 mode, first-hand.

Raslin on

edited March 2007
    Raslin wrote: »

I don't want to play at a bad framerate, I just want to see how it looks in dx9 mode, first-hand.
    Needs Pixel Shader 3.0 support as it's HDR. 9x00 series just doesn't have that. ATi X1x00 and nVidia 6x00, 7x00, and 8x00 can do it though.

Giganticus on
    edited March 2007
    Giganticus: Awesome. I'll wait. :)

Nev on
    edited March 2007
    Raslin wrote: »

Needs Pixel Shader 3.0 support as it's HDR. 9x00 series just doesn't have that. ATi X1x00 and nVidia 6x00, 7x00, and 8x00 can do it though.

Bah. Damn them for slaving things together like that. I can play other DX9 games on this computer :P

Raslin on

edited March 2007
    Giganticus: Awesome. I'll wait. :)
    Uploading now...

Here ya go

Giganticus on
    edited March 2007
    Thank you! I'll try it out and report back as soon as I can.

Nev on
    edited March 2007
    Revised my instructions with some download links.

Giganticus on
  • ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If you don't mind, I'll mirror the links. :D

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
    edited March 2007
    Zetx wrote: »
    If you don't mind, I'll mirror the links. :D
    Probably a good idea. Rapidshit is shit but it's all I got.

If someone with a US version could make the US exes that would be great.

Giganticus on
    edited March 2007
    Seems like there is such a thing as karma. Before I reinstalled STALKER for Nev to get the exe, I was having a glitch where all I could see was the skybox if dynamic lighting was on. To fix this I had to turn off AA and AF. However, one reinstall and good deed later, the problem has gone. 1600x1200, max detail, max AF, half AA, all smooooth. :mrgreen:

Zetx I'm about to go to sleep but if you've got mirrored links I'll add them to my fix post when I wake up.

Giganticus on
  • electronicmajielectronicmaji __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    man this game hates my computer...

cant get decent fps at 1024 x 768

I need to upgrade my processor.

electronicmaji on
    Top Weekly Artists
    Electronicmaji.gif
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Radeon 9600 Pro, Athlon XP2000+, 1.5gb RAM and running Windows Vista.

The game runs flawlessly, and looks surprisingly good.

I feel rather lucky.

Suriko on
  • powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Where is this rumored Viper5 that fires pistol ammo? I thought I was at the tunnel where its suppose to be but I got deeper in past the bubbles and the radiation got too heavy (this is early game I got jack for armor).

powersurge on
    edited March 2007
    powersurge wrote: »
    Where is this rumored Viper5 that fires pistol ammo? I thought I was at the tunnel where its suppose to be but I got deeper in past the bubbles and the radiation got too heavy (this is early game I got jack for armor).
    Well there's a pistol that fires Viper5 ammo. Maybe there's a source of confusion there?

Giganticus on
  • powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    powersurge wrote: »
    Well there's a pistol that fires Viper5 ammo. Maybe there's a source of confusion there?

/shrugs it was mentioned I think in this thread and I've seen it on other forums mentioned. Its suppose to be in the tunnel west of the warehouse (garbage area). Either I've got the wrong tunnel or you need some kind of anti rad suit to get to the end of the tunnel.

powersurge on
  • Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Suriko wrote: »

I feel rather lucky.

:shock:

Either you've got some funny definitions of "flawless" and "surprisingly good", or the jump from a 9550 to a 9600 must be like unto the leap across a yawning chasm. I have a better processor than you (just) (2200+) and more memory (2 gig), but although I'm pretty happy with being able to run it at all, I'd never call it flawless. 800x600, details at full, textures at one notch off full, little bit of anisotropic, no AA, NPC flashlights. Runs anywhere from probably 5-30 FPS and I get mouse float, so I'm just curious as to how the hell you can get anything that could be thought of as "flawless".

Oh, and it's not simply it being HDR that necessitates pixel shader 3.0. :P I can still turn that on in Episode 1.

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

I feel rather lucky.

Either you've got some funny definitions of "flawless" and "surprisingly good", or the jump from a 9550 to a 9600 must be like unto the leap across a yawning chasm. I have a better processor than you (just) (2200+) and more memory (2 gig), but although I'm pretty happy with being able to run it at all, I'd never call it flawless. 800x600, details at full, textures at one notch off full, little bit of anisotropic, no AA, NPC flashlights. Runs anywhere from probably 5-30 FPS and I get mouse float, so I'm just curious as to how the hell you can get anything that could be thought of as "flawless".

Oh, and it's not simply it being HDR that necessitates pixel shader 3.0. :P I can still turn that on in Episode 1.

Hold on, I'll just check my settings. Off hand though, view distance is maxed and resolution is 1024x768. "Flawless" is defined as completely smooth framerate and no crashing or glitching.

edit:
    5992633d8b.jpg
    It doesn't look ZOMGEYEGASMS, but it's quite servicable. This is also a first-run go at settings, and I plan to have a bit more of a play around with them to get everything just so. Which is a waste considering I've got a nice big computer upgrade on the way in a couple of weeks anyway. Textures and the fact that my video card has 256mb memory may be making a large part of the difference.

Suriko on
  • krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    aw shit, RATS are back in the game with the patch?! (i found this pic elsewhere, but thats what they're saying)

403b6kz.jpg

krylon666 on
  • Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I feel rather lucky.

edit:
    snip
    It doesn't look ZOMGEYEGASMS, but it's quite servicable. This is also a first-run go at settings, and I plan to have a bit more of a play around with them to get everything just so. Which is a waste considering I've got a nice big computer upgrade on the way in a couple of weeks anyway. Textures and the fact that my video card has 256mb memory may be making a large part of the difference.

Ah, I see. Mine would be (from the top) max, max, max, one step off the top, four steps from the bottom and the rest the same... though hang on, how'd you put shadows up? I could have sworn it let me change it when I first installed the game, but now it won't. Oh well.

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • NeedleNeedle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    As far as I know, the source engine uses some sort of software HDR. That's why it works with older cards.

HDR is usually the only gfx option I can't turn on in newer games with my trusty old Radeon 9800 pro. Now the guys at GSC chose in their wisdom to not include a button to turn HDR off for their new renderer, which means I and a lot of other people are stuck with the old renderer.

Don't really care though. Still looks very good.

Needle on