As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Engadget "confirms" black Xbox 360 Elite, w/ 120 GB and HDMI

• DeVryGuyDeVryGuy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    For the record, I like the matte black they are using as opposed to super-enamel shiney!!black that the DS Lite and the PSP use.

I considered upgrading, but I figure I can probably get $300 for my 360 used, so I'd be paying $180 for the bigger hard drive an a HDMI output which is currently useless to me, so I may as well just pay the $180 and get the bigger hard drive.

I still wish it was at least 200 gb though.

DeVryGuy on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5369 6910 9799
    FFTSig.jpg
  • Dinosaur_NeilDinosaur_Neil Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    the 200gb version will be out next year, and be red, codenamed "uber".... shiney black would have been cooler than flat black.

Dinosaur_Neil on
  • Vicious_GSRVicious_GSR Dude Principality of ZeonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    'Xbox 360 Elite Vista Ultimate Edition' signed by Peter Moore and Bill Gates in Unicorn blood with a pure gold plated Master Chief helmet, complete with all of the Halo games including the beta of Halo 4.

You laugh now, but it will come...

Vicious_GSR on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think if they where making this the Elite version, they should have really thrown in built in Wi-Fi.
    Hell, the Wii has built in Wi-Fi so I don't think it could add to the manufacturing costs that much.

Kyougu on
  • FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Aoi wrote: »
    Einhander wrote: »
    Aoi wrote: »
    ...As for the hard drive and its price... I have no idea what the hell they're thinking on that one, but even with FFXI still installed on my current drive, and over 20 Live Arcade titles, and some shows, and with downloading the occasional rented movie, I see absolutely no real reason to pick the thing up. There just isn't a real reason to do so right now.

You don't think that there is a good reason for a 120GB hard drive? When you cut it down, your 20GB drive is only ~13Gb of usable space, and the 120GB clocks in at ~103GB. High-def movies can run from 4-5GB a piece, and the Live Arcade game size may be capped at 150MB now, but as soon as the 120GB drive is out, it'll skyrocket I think. And if you've got a hefty music collection and don't feel like/have the hardware for streaming...? It all adds up.

You might think that 13GB is enough, but you're in a very sall minority.

But, I completely agree with the price argument.

I'm doubting i'm in the minority here. I'm aware of movie sizes, I use the marketplace. You download them once, watch them, then delete them. You don't purchase the movies, so that 4 gigs of space isn't something that's going to add up over time unless you like keeping unwatchable video files on your hard disk. The Live Arcade sizes aren't going to skyrocket with the introduction of the new hard drive because they're still limiting the sizes because of memory card sizes. And again, I own over 20 of the things, I have several shows from the marketplace, and I have Final Fantasy XI installed on the drive and still have around 6 to 7 gigs free at any one time, and once I drop that, it's going to go back to around 10. Again, for a majority of the users out there, especially the mainstream users who won't get nearly the use out of their hard drive that I do, won't have any real use for it anytime soon.

I'm with Aoi, and not just because he's my new forum friend (*hugz!*) but because it just seems rational to me. I'm in the same situation... one of the gripes about other paid video download services is that you pay to download it... and that's it... if you lose it then you have to buy it again.

With Live any of my DLC, all my arcade games, and even my video downloads are stored... for free... on the internet.

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    With Live any of my DLC, all my arcade games, and even my video downloads are stored... for free... on the internet.

The thing that sucks is, if you ever buy a movie for your 360... and you delete it because you need space, and you want to watch it again in the future, sure, Live knows that you "own" it, but now you have to redownload a 5GB movie.

Einhander on
  • SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

The thing that sucks is, if you ever buy a movie for your 360... and you delete it because you need space, and you want to watch it again in the future, sure, Live knows that you "own" it, but now you have to redownload a 5GB movie.
    and if your 360 ever breaks down, you better never get rid of live, or else that movie is no longer yours when they give you a different 360.

Sanders on
  • Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I think if they where making this the Elite version, they should have really thrown in built in Wi-Fi.
    Hell, the Wii has built in Wi-Fi so I don't think it could add to the manufacturing costs that much.

When you charge $100 for the WiFi adapter seperately, you can't let consumers know flat out that you're completely ripping them off. They could include WiFi without changing the price at all if they wanted, but they're stubborn, money-hungry bastards.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • devolvedevolve Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The part that is screwing over consumers is everyone who bought a Premium who now has to pay an extra $100 over the price of an elite if they want a larger HDD.

Oh please, you're stretching right now. I am PERFECTLY happy with my xbox360 as it is right now. If *I* choose to get the new HD, I will do so. It's an upgrade, a peripheral, nothing more.

Did toyota screw its customers by adding features to the 2007 models that weren't on the 2006 model?

The added functionality here, aside from the hd, isn't even necessary. It isn't needed to play the games or enjoy the games, in hd or otherwise. These are simply options that if someone chooses they can purchase.

*I* don't feel screwed over, and between you and me, I'm the one who purchased the 360.

devolve on
    detriot.png
  • KNYTEKNYTE Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I've still yet to see something from Microsoft about this.

KNYTE on
    The best defense is a good offense.

"The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subjected people to carry arms, history shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subjected peoples to carry arms have prepared their own fall"
    - Adolf Hitler, Edict of March 18, 1938.
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    KNYTE wrote: »

Here you go.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • KNYTEKNYTE Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    jclast wrote: »
    KNYTE wrote: »

Here you go.

Wow, well I guess they showed me.

KNYTE on
    The best defense is a good offense.

"The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subjected people to carry arms, history shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subjected peoples to carry arms have prepared their own fall"
    - Adolf Hitler, Edict of March 18, 1938.
    edited March 2007
    devolve wrote: »
    The part that is screwing over consumers is everyone who bought a Premium who now has to pay an extra $100 over the price of an elite if they want a larger HDD.

Oh please, you're stretching right now. I am PERFECTLY happy with my xbox360 as it is right now. If *I* choose to get the new HD, I will do so. It's an upgrade, a peripheral, nothing more.

Did toyota screw its customers by adding features to the 2007 models that weren't on the 2006 model?

The added functionality here, aside from the hd, isn't even necessary. It isn't needed to play the games or enjoy the games, in hd or otherwise. These are simply options that if someone chooses they can purchase.

*I* don't feel screwed over, and between you and me, I'm the one who purchased the 360.

If Toyota released a car in 2006 that only came with tires made of doughnuts and then released a 2007 model with all-seasons, then it would be a similar analogy.

The main problem I have with Microsoft is that they made a really big deal over Sony "ripping the consumer off by not giving them choice", and then they pretty much give the consumer choice, while ripping them off. If I want a 360 with wireless controllers, online play, a large hard drive, wifi, HD movie playback, and an HDMI port, well, I don't want to have to spend $829 to get it. If I had $829 to buy all of those things, I'd buy a PS3 and have plenty left over for games.

See what I mean?

Einhander on
    edited March 2007
    devolve wrote: »

If Toyota released a car in 2006 that only came with tires made of doughnuts and then released a 2007 model with all-seasons, then it would be a similar analogy.

The main problem I have with Microsoft is that they made a really big deal over Sony "ripping the consumer off by not giving them choice", and then they pretty much give the consumer choice, while ripping them off. If I want a 360 with wireless controllers, online play, a large hard drive, wifi, HD movie playback, and an HDMI port, well, I don't want to have to spend $829 to get it. If I had $829 to buy all of those things, I'd buy a PS3 and have plenty left over for games.

See what I mean?

They aren't ripping you off by giving you choices. If you want a game machine, you can pick up a core and a memory card. If you want an HDD to avoid memory cards, HD output, and wireless controllers all in one package, you can pick up a premium. OR you can buy a core, a wireless controller, an upgrade hard drive, and a component cord. If you want even more HDD space and HDMI compatibility, you can buy the Elite. Or if you're only interested in the extra HDD space you'll be able to buy the add-on drive and combine it with either the core or the premium (I'm not sure if the HDMI uses the 360's multi-out, but if it does you could just pick up the cable, too).

On top of that, if you also want an HD-DVD player you can pick up the optional drive and combine it with any of the three systems in any configuration.

What they're doing, which makes sense to me, is allowing me, their customer, to buy the 360 I want while still guaranteeing that I can play any 360 game out there. I wanted some HDD space, and I like wireless controllers so I bought a premium just last week. I don't feel ripped off. I don't want or need HDMI or a 120 GB HDD. I want a machine to play disc-based games, arcade games, and game demos. The 360 premium gives me that.

What alternatives does Sony offer me? None. If I want a games machine but have no interest in a BluRay movie player, well it sucks to be me. The only way to get a PS3 is to also get a BluRay Player.

Personally, I'd rather have the choices. It's not like the release of the elite 360 obsoletes the core and the premium.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • El VientoEl Viento Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Invisible wrote: »
    It is being packaged with the new chip right? The one that runs cooler or whatever? That's about the only thing that interests me. HDMI I could take or leave and while the bigger harddrive is enticing, I'd only use it for saves and arcade games, neither of which is taking up a big chunk of my harddrive now (I already have a DVR/On-Demand and an iPod/Stereo system, so why bother downloading it to my 360?)

I'll probably pick it up, but not for a while.

No, same internals (except HDMI) as the regular X360.
    The new "Elite" console contains the same parts, processors and chips as the Core and Pro units, and has the same dimensions, only it's got an HDMI port on its back-side (in addition to the standard RGB port) and comes with a 120GB hard disc drive (HDD), cables and headset, all in black.

And it's not replacing the premium either, it's a new SKU.
    "The Elite is not a limited edition. It's permanent. And we will not replace any sku," Penello explained when referring to the flurry of rumors preceeding the official announcement. "We now have three SKUs and we predict the primary seller will continue to be the Pro system."

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/776/776448p1.html

El Viento on
    vf5bannerok6.jpg
  • AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Sanders wrote: »

and if your 360 ever breaks down, you better never get rid of live, or else that movie is no longer yours when they give you a different 360.

Unless you call them and have the points returned to you. That's not exactly terribly difficult to fix. You also only need Live Silver, which is free, if you're too lazy to call MS and get that particular issue resolved. Also, movies are rental only. You pay a couple dollars, you watch the movie, you delete the movie. You have no reason to keep it on your HD for a prolonged period anyway.

Aoi on
    edited March 2007
    edit: in response to jclast's post

Yeah, but that opens up the argument on whether or not 7GB worth of space on a single disc is going to cut it in the future.

And you can't play any game with any 360, there are already two games released that require the hard drive.

On a side note, it's nice that the average dumbass Joe Fratboy can drop $400 and play Halo with all of his buddies. But if you want a 360 with features, you're gonna have to pay through the ass. PS3 games are already topping the ~9GB limit on a DVD-9, so it's nice to have that Blu-Ray drive in there. It upped the cost, but putting a DVD drive in the PS2 and the Xbox upped the price a shitload then too. You'll never get the option of higher capacity game discs with the 360. Unless Microsoft releases a 360 with a built-in HD-DVD drive and then goes back on their word, like they've done twice already with the claim that "no game will ever be released that requires the hard drive".

Microsoft is trying to establish it self as catering to the "hard core", but in reality, they're just stealing you blind if you want anything that doesn't come standard.

Think back to that Toyota example. Sure, any old Toyota can drive, and the 2006 model does just that. But let's say you want comfortable seats, a stereo, air conditioning... and they charged you a shitload for each. That's the situation with Microsoft. So basically, you could add all of that shit to the Toyota, but when you're done, you're pretty damn close to the price of a Lexus that has all that shit standard.

Einhander on
  • AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What is this second game that doesn't require the hard drive? And they've always stated that MMOs could require a hard disk to play, so in that respect they haven't gone back on their word at all.

Aoi on
    edited March 2007
    edit: in response to jclast's post

Yeah, but that opens up the argument on whether or not 7GB worth of space on a single disc is going to cut it in the future.

And you can't play any game with any 360, there are already two games released that require the hard drive.

On a side note, it's nice that the average dumbass Joe Fratboy can drop $400 and play Halo with all of his buddies. But if you want a 360 with features, you're gonna have to pay through the ass. PS3 games are already topping the ~9GB limit on a DVD-9, so it's nice to have that Blu-Ray drive in there. It upped the cost, but putting a DVD drive in the PS2 and the Xbox upped the price a shitload then too. You'll never get the option of higher capacity game discs with the 360. Unless Microsoft releases a 360 with a built-in HD-DVD drive and then goes back on their word, like they've done twice already with the claim that "no game will ever be released that requires the hard drive".

Microsoft is trying to establish it self as catering to the "hard core", but in reality, they're just stealing you blind if you want anything that doesn't come standard.

Think back to that Toyota example. Sure, any old Toyota can drive, and the 2006 model does just that. But let's say you want comfortable seats, a stereo, air conditioning... and they charged you a shitload for each. That's the situation with Microsoft. So basically, you could add all of that shit to the Toyota, but when you're done, you're pretty damn close to the price of a Lexus that has all that shit standard.

I hadn't heard that. What 2 games require the HDD?

Also, wasn't the original Xbox's price reduced a little bit because it couldn't play DVDs right out of the box? You had to buy the remote control that enabled DVD playback. That's the kind of choice I'm talking about, and it's the kind of choice I like. I never needed or wanted my Xbox to play DVD movies so I never picked up the remote, and I saved a little in the process.

And regarding your Toyota example. You're absolutely right. You can buy the base model car. It gets your from A to B and back again with little to no options. Or you can buy options as you want them. Leather seats. Air conditioning. That kind of thing. Still gets you from A to B, but you're more comfortable while you do it. Or you can just buy the top of the line Toyota that comes with all that stuff standard. The point I'm trying to impress upon you is that it's a good thing to give the consumer choices. The PS3 doesn't have a "base model" or a "midrange model" in the same way that the 360 does (in my opinion at least). They've got 2 choices, both of which (based on price) are comparable to the 360 elite or the pro with HD-DVD add-on.

I can buy whatever 360 I want and customize it to fit my needs. I can't do that - at least not the same degree - with the PS3. My big example, and the one that costs the most money, is that BluRay player. I don't want a BluRay player, and I can't buy a PS3 without one. I also don't want an HD-DVD player, and I had no problem buying a 360 without one.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Football manager and FFXI?

LewieP on
  • Si SenorSi Senor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    black 360 is an uggo

the controller more so. it's the grey and the black, and the bright buttons with the black, man, what a clash. it brings up bad memories of the original xbox colours.

Si Senor on
    sigging2.jpg
  • StreckStreck Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I can't say I appreciate Microsoft's stratification here. The whole point of a console is a hassle-free, unified experience, which they executed brilliantly with Xbox Live, but have forgotten with the Xbox itself. They should have taken more note of the outcry that arose when they chose to not include a hard drive by default - even if it was cost-prohibitive to include, they should have at least acknowledged the philosophical error and not compounded it with this nonsense.

Streck on
    edited March 2007
    Einhander I'm thinking you just don't like the 360 and this is another reason?

That's cool man. A lot of us have been using Marketplace and playing really great HD games online and off with a seamless chat system and just generally enjoying ourselves for well over a year now so it's hard to get where people are coming from when they say they don't like that kind of fun.

I'll keep rocking my ancient 20gb premium 360 that I got for $400. The cool thing also is that once I was ready to enter the HD movie market... MS had the best solution for that for my dollar.

FaceballMcDougal on
  • ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Don't know if it's been brought up - but I really <3 Microsoft for the "absolutely, positively NO IPTV or Video Marketplace for Canada. Fucking pinko commie bastards" policy.

I love America Jr. :(

Threepio on
    142.jpg
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, Football Manager 2006:

xboxharddiskap0.gif

Einhander on
    edited March 2007
    Streck wrote: »
    I can't say I appreciate Microsoft's stratification here. The whole point of a console is a hassle-free, unified experience, which they executed brilliantly with Xbox Live, but have forgotten with the Xbox itself. They should have taken more note of the outcry that arose when they chose to not include a hard drive by default - even if it was cost-prohibitive to include, they should have at least acknowledged the philosophical error and not compounded it with this nonsense.

I'm curious. How will the elite further stratify the player base? What games could you play on the elite, whose only real difference is HDD space, that you couldn't play on the premium or (discounting FFXI and Football Manager) the core? Will this further stratify the multimedia base? Probably. Folks with the elite have more room to keep random shit on their hard drive, but with as small as most game saves are, I don't see this being a big deal in regards to splitting the player base.. My Kameo save may have less wiggle room due to a smaller hard drive, but it's still there, and it still works.

Releasing a model over a year after release that makes currently possible things easier doesn't negate the fact that the current models can do those things, too (with the exception of downloading huge files which the core crowd already knew about).

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited March 2007
    Threepio wrote: »
    Don't know if it's been brought up - but I really <3 Microsoft for the "absolutely, positively NO IPTV or Video Marketplace for Canada. Fucking pinko commie bastards" policy.

I love America Jr. :(

Yeah, we get treated that way too. Fantastic.

El Viento on
    vf5bannerok6.jpg
  • Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Paradox Control on
    \
  • bongibongi regular
    edited March 2007
    i think the black 360 is really goddamn hideous

black things need to be glossy, i think, to look shiny and expensive (e.g. PS3, iPod, iBook) or they just look cheap (e.g. every dell pc ever)

bongi on
    edited March 2007
    bongi wrote: »

black things need to be glossy, i think, to look shiny and expensive (e.g. PS3, iPod, iBook) or they just look cheap (e.g. every dell pc ever)

I think the PS2 looks nice with its matte finish.
    Also, shiny things are hard to keep clean. I'd much rather have all matte electronics.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • DeVryGuyDeVryGuy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Also, shiny things are hard to keep clean. I'd much rather have all matte electronics.

Matte is nicer than shiny. Shiny looks good when you take it out of the packaging. After that it's all downhill.

If I wasn't afraid I'd fuck it up I'd sand the shiny off of my DS Lite.

DeVryGuy on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5369 6910 9799
    FFTSig.jpg
  • bongibongi regular
    edited March 2007

true, but shiny things look so shiny

bongi on
  • Ownage JonesOwnage Jones Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Releasing a model over a year after release that makes currently possible things easier doesn't negate the fact that the current models can do those things, too (with the exception of downloading huge files which the core crowd already knew about).

The presence of the HDMI port negates the other two models, as that feature cannot be duplicated. So if you buy a Core, later get a 20 gig, and later get an HD-DVD add-on, you're still screwed once the HDCP flag comes on, not to mention that not many TV's do 1080p over component. We won't even mention the $100 Wifi adapter.

Either model of the PS3 will never have these issues, hence why you may effectively screw yourself if you ever want to upgrade from the base model. You can't add, you have to buy new. And after all that shit they talked, they offer this, which makes their competitor's price seem not so high all of a sudden.

Ownage Jones on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Currently playing: Infamous, Resident Evil 5
    Need to play: Shadow Complex, Uncharted 2, Ratchet and Clank: ACIT, MW2, Alpha Protocol
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The presence of the HDMI port negates the other two models, as that feature cannot be duplicated. So if you buy a Core, later get a 20 gig, and later get an HD-DVD add-on, you're still screwed once the HDCP flag comes on, not to mention that not many TV's do 1080p over component. We won't even mention the $100 Wifi adapter.

Either model of the PS3 will never have these issues, hence why you may effectively screw yourself if you ever want to upgrade from the base model. You can't add, you have to buy new. And after all that shit they talked, they offer this, which makes their competitor's price seem not so high all of a sudden.
    HDMI is a trojan horse. You can continue to play HD content over VGA unmolested by HDCP.

FreddyD on
  • bongibongi regular
    edited March 2007
    but the people that bought the original 360 bought it knowing they wouldn't have HDMI compatibility to begin with; if it was that important to them they wouldn't have bought one

bongi on
    edited March 2007

What does the HDCP flag have to do with a) playing 360 games or b) watching Live-downloaded programs?

You've got me on the HD-DVD player/HDCP flag issue though.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited March 2007
    HDCP is a loooooooong way out

we are talking next xbox and next playstation long way out

HDCP = non-issue

FaceballMcDougal on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2007
    I'm mildly annoyed by this. MS, from the outset, made it sound as adding HDMI capability to the existing 360 was feasible, and so in the back of my mind I was waiting for some sort of adapter that I could just pop in the back to enable HDMI output. Now, apparently, that's not even possible, and the only way to get it is to spend a couple hundred bucks selling my existing system and getting an Elite.

I don't much care about the games - they look damned nice in 720p - but for HD movies, it'd really be nice to have 1080p, since I plan to get a 1080p television at some point in the future. And the built-in upscaling capability that current 360s refuse to do except through VGA sure would be nice.

But then, for the cost of upgrading my 360, inside a year I can probably just get a standalone HD-DVD player with HDMI out for not much more. I don't see myself biting.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2007
    FreddyD wrote: »
    HDMI is a trojan horse. You can continue to play HD content over VGA unmolested by HDCP.

The number of TVs with VGA inputs is tiny.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    edited March 2007
    Inside a year, you're probably not going to need a HD-DVD player.

El Viento on
    vf5bannerok6.jpg