As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles] : Now owned by Nickelodeon.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    o_O

I was hoping they wouldn't play up the campy-ness quite so much. Also, what's with the new voices? All the original cast are still alive. Most aren't older than mid-50's.

I don't understand why you'd use the campy Turtles if you weren't going to emphasize the campyness.

Because the campyness was pretty much nonexistent? I mean there were some bad moments especially towards the end but the series never had the Turtles do crap like fight banana monsters and make it a point to say they rescue April once a week.

They were constantly saving April, it didn't need to be said out loud because we were watching them do it. And they fought plenty of completely ridiculous things in the show.

reVerse on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    reVerse wrote: »
    o_O

I was hoping they wouldn't play up the campy-ness quite so much. Also, what's with the new voices? All the original cast are still alive. Most aren't older than mid-50's.

I don't understand why you'd use the campy Turtles if you weren't going to emphasize the campyness.

Because the campyness was pretty much nonexistent? I mean there were some bad moments especially towards the end but the series never had the Turtles do crap like fight banana monsters and make it a point to say they rescue April once a week.

They were constantly saving April, it didn't need to be said out loud because we were watching them do it. And they fought plenty of completely ridiculous things in the show.

Nothing on the level of Fruit monsters.
    Off the top of my head they fought-
    Fly men
    Robots
    Robots
    Mutant of the week
    Robots
    Shredder using one of his scientifically unsound machines
    Robots
    Usagi Yojimbo
    Some weird side villain that makes you miss shredder
    Aliens
    Mutant Aliens
    Slash
    Robots.
    Rock men
    Shredder again
    Robots.
    The Technodrome

I'm not rose tinted here I watched the show well into my early adolescence. I know it sucked hard at the end. The early seasons however were never as bad as that clip tried to make it.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well, there was "Attack of the Killer Pizzas," but that was aliens hidden ON pizzas.

Incenjucar on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    I don't know. It was hooked up to some crazy giant TV monitor and was displaying what looked like WWII with nazi banners all over the place and stuff. It could be some random other person from WWII, but my money is seriously on Hitler's brain.

Yes, it was Hitler's brain. It was necessary to power a time machine, I believe.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    I don't know. It was hooked up to some crazy giant TV monitor and was displaying what looked like WWII with nazi banners all over the place and stuff. It could be some random other person from WWII, but my money is seriously on Hitler's brain.

Yes, it was Hitler's brain. It was necessary to power a time machine, I believe.

Well in that case it makes perfect sense.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Holy shit. So Laird no longer has a controlling stake in TMNT, it seems. Huh. Well, sounds like the dude can retire happily, and Nick is free to spew Rocksteady and Bebop all over the place. (Seriously, the reason they haven't appeared in a while is because he's sick of them.)

But yeah, this is worrisome. Good shows have cropped up on Nick before, but thanks to twitchy execs and short attention spans, they get crapped on. Also, Nick hasn't ever revived any of their properties for a second go-round, so once the planned TMNT show gets cancelled, it's gone for good.

As far as why the weird team-up cartoon doesn't have the original voices despite the fact that they're all still active, I can only think of two things:

1. The makers of the show were too cheap to pay for them (despite the fact that nearly all the VAs are just working joes and aren't exactly hugely famous).
    2. There's some weird quirk in the licensing. The 80s show was created by Fred Wolf Films, and they probably own huge aspects of stuff that appeared on it. TV shows based on existing properties are odd... things that originally existed are (usually) still owned by the creator, but new stuff created for the TV show is (usually) owned by the production company. That's why Ben Edlund still owns The Tick, but he can never do anything with Speak again (despite the fact that Edlund created that lovably inert capybara).

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Gah, the words "CGI" and "Nickelodeon" don't sit well with me. Shit like 'Barnyard' and 'Penguins of Madagasgar', are for their partly badly-written and cheaply made CGI cartoons now, and I bet TMNT will get the same treatment. Bad production, aimed at pre-teens with the IQ of toddlers ... Maybe I'm wrong though. Maybe it'll be awesome.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Being a child of the 80s, TMNT is one of those shows that holds a special place in my heart. I remember taping episodes. Of course when I was a kid, I didn't even know what seasons or repeats were, so I'd often end up taping repeats. I had toys. Oh god did I have toys.

Correction.

I have toys. All my TMNT stuff, from the sewer playset to the technodrome down to a mint original run April O'Neill are at my parents house. Many of the played with toys are in decent condition, but the weapons are...so so. I had a bad habit of chewing on them as a kid.

As it stands these days, I have all 10 seasons of the show on my computer. I didn't even know seasons 9 and 10 existed, with that random space bad guy after they put an end to Shredder and Krang once and for all at the end of season 8.

The original movie is a great movie, still. It's a good natured story with a couple more adult things thrown in. They say "DAMN" a whole bunch, Raphael nearly gets killed, Splinter nearly gets killed. It's a pretty brutal movie for a kid's movie, but it works. I can still watch it today and enjoy it. The second movie is toned down and they added the annoying human side kick. Plus, Vanilla Ice. It's no where near as god as the first but it's not fuck-terrible.

I've never really given the new series a chance. I know it's supposed to be closer to the comics but I just hate the art style they used. I think I watched one of the first couple episodes, when they first make the Turtle Van. I'm sure it's not terrible, since I've read some of the comics and enjoyed them, but I can't get over the art style.

JustinSane07 on
    edited October 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Holy shit. So Laird no longer has a controlling stake in TMNT, it seems. Huh. Well, sounds like the dude can retire happily, and Nick is free to spew Rocksteady and Bebop all over the place. (Seriously, the reason they haven't appeared in a while is because he's sick of them.)

But yeah, this is worrisome. Good shows have cropped up on Nick before, but thanks to twitchy execs and short attention spans, they get crapped on. Also, Nick hasn't ever revived any of their properties for a second go-round, so once the planned TMNT show gets cancelled, it's gone for good.

As far as why the weird team-up cartoon doesn't have the original voices despite the fact that they're all still active, I can only think of two things:

1. The makers of the show were too cheap to pay for them (despite the fact that nearly all the VAs are just working joes and aren't exactly hugely famous).
    2. There's some weird quirk in the licensing. The 80s show was created by Fred Wolf Films, and they probably own huge aspects of stuff that appeared on it. TV shows based on existing properties are odd... things that originally existed are (usually) still owned by the creator, but new stuff created for the TV show is (usually) owned by the production company. That's why Ben Edlund still owns The Tick, but he can never do anything with Speak again (despite the fact that Edlund created that lovably inert capybara).

In regards to the Nick thing. Viacom owns them and they aren't going to let a Spongebob level cash cow get screwed like Avatar.

In regards to Turtles forever- It's number one. It was always number one. 4kids is so fucking cheap they never use VA's outside of their in house team.
    The New Wii game uses the 80's VA's to no ill effect though so Cam and Rob and Uncle Phil( I assume) are all there.

King Riptor on
    edited October 2009
    80's VA havn't been used in any turtles games
    Splinter is Al Mualim

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    edited October 2009
    agoaj wrote: »
    Splinter is Al Mualim

According to Game informer the newest game er Smash Up? uses the 80's crew.

King Riptor on
    edited October 2009
    Splinter is Al Mualim

There is nothing from the 80s in that game.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    edited October 2009
    Splinter is Al Mualim

There is nothing from the 80s in that game.

Well then I really should quit reading Game informer reviews.

King Riptor on
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You know I thought about buying it.

Then I took off my rose colored glasses and saw the truth.

It's a kids game. For kids. On the Wii.

Made me sad.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I still hold that Reshelled is awesome - reviews be damned - and anyone who wants to throw down on some Foot Clan chumps with me is welcome. I still need to get the survival mode achievement.

Ceno on
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »
    I will always be sad that there was never a good transformers video game

You didn't play the PS2 game? That was pretty great and hard as nails on the higher difficulties.

Armada though.

Kelor on
  • MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I will always envy never playing that game, if nothing else because Tidal Wave looks sick as fuck.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
    edited October 2009
    In regards to the Nick thing. Viacom owns them and they aren't going to let a Spongebob level cash cow get screwed like Avatar.

You're absolutely correct... about SpongeBob-level cash cows.

But if the Turtles don't pay off that big, or worse, appeal to older folk more than their target demographic*, I doubt they'll be as tireless as Mirage was in trying to revive them and give them second (and third and fourth) chances. Once the Nick incarnation of the Turtles dies, they're probably dead for good.

*This is arguably one of the reasons Zim and Avatar got crapped on, or at least one of the justifications used by silly execs. Popularity with older people is meaningless... they want something that appeals to kids first and foremost to keep the advertisers happy.

cloudeagle on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I can't help but feel this is terrible news. Avatar was the closest that Nick had to something like TMNT on their network, and look how that got treated. And if they try something and fail I think there's a better chance of them just sitting on the rights than doing anything with it. And what does this mean for the comics?

One bright side is that maybe they will start releasing the dvd sets again.

Bloods End on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Don't forget that Avatar did finish.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited October 2009
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »
    You know I thought about buying it.

Then I took off my rose colored glasses and saw the truth.

It's a kids game. For kids. On the Wii.

Made me sad.

I really don't understand why it being on the Wii somehow makes it worse or why it being for kids matters. It's got a decent development team behind it and it can't be worse than most of Ubisoft's offerings so far.

King Riptor on
    edited October 2009
    They have Raving Rabbids.

In a game.

About Ninja Turtles.

For kids.

THEPAIN73 on
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    My perfect TMNT game is an action/stealth game much like Arkham Asylum, with sections of the world accessible from a central hub. You roll as all four turtles, switching between them with the d-pad to tackle different challenges (ex: Donatello can hack computer terminals). The art style is Mirage-influenced, but there are many unlockable skins (all red masks, 80s cartoon, 2k3 cartoon, Image series, etc). You can upgrade your combos and weapons by gaining combat xp, each turtle has a standard grapple and a secondary item like smoke pellets or shuriken.

The multiplayer is a collection of the past arcade games along with a brand spankin' new arcade game.

Ceno on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    The perfect Turtles game was already made.

And then re-made.

You know what I'm talking about.

JustinSane07 on
    edited October 2009

In a game.

About Ninja Turtles.

For kids.

I think the rabbids are awesome, and I'm 34. Lighten up.

cloudeagle on
    edited October 2009

In a game.

About Ninja Turtles.

For kids.

It's not about lightening up, it's why do they have these characters in this ninja turtle game that have nothing to do with Ninja Turtles?

Let alone 3 of them?

That and I don't want to play the game. I saw it, determined it wouldn't be fun, and left it at that.

You played the game liked it, and got it I assume. Fantastic.

Whether you are 34 or 24 or 14, it's just a difference of opinions. That's all.

THEPAIN73 on
  • JandaruJandaru New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

So I was watching my DVD of the first season the other day, and it was pretty much exactly like you're trying to say it wasn't.

Jandaru on
    0ijlzpptari2.png
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Gah, the words "CGI" and "Nickelodeon" don't sit well with me. Shit like 'Barnyard' and 'Penguins of Madagasgar', are for their partly badly-written and cheaply made CGI cartoons now, and I bet TMNT will get the same treatment. Bad production, aimed at pre-teens with the IQ of toddlers ... Maybe I'm wrong though. Maybe it'll be awesome.

I like Penguins of Madagasgar. :(

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
    edited October 2009
    Jandaru wrote: »

So I was watching my DVD of the first season the other day, and it was pretty much exactly like you're trying to say it wasn't.

I'd say the clip was just slightly goofier, but yeah, the original show was pretty darn goofy. April constantly in peril, April constantly talking about getting a major "scoop," constant smiling, etc.

cloudeagle on
    edited October 2009
    Jandaru wrote: »

I'd say the clip was just slightly goofier, but yeah, the original show was pretty darn goofy. April constantly in peril, April constantly talking about getting a major "scoop," constant smiling, etc.

Well that was accurate.

I still stand by the ludicrousness of the Banana monsters

King Riptor on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

In a game.

About Ninja Turtles.

For kids.

It's not about lightening up, it's why do they have these characters in this ninja turtle game that have nothing to do with Ninja Turtles?

Let alone 3 of them?

That and I don't want to play the game. I saw it, determined it wouldn't be fun, and left it at that.

So then why do you keep repeating "for kids"?

Who gives a rat's ass if it's "for kids"? I'm sure the latest movie was for kids. Didn't stop our group of 20+ year olds from being first in line (and the only people over the age who weren't escorting kids to boot).

If it's fun, it's fun. Screw the recommended age notice.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ceno wrote: »
    My perfect TMNT game is an action/stealth game much like Arkham Asylum, with sections of the world accessible from a central hub. You roll as all four turtles, switching between them with the d-pad to tackle different challenges (ex: Donatello can hack computer terminals). The art style is Mirage-influenced, but there are many unlockable skins (all red masks, 80s cartoon, 2k3 cartoon, Image series, etc). You can upgrade your combos and weapons by gaining combat xp, each turtle has a standard grapple and a secondary item like smoke pellets or shuriken.

The multiplayer is a collection of the past arcade games along with a brand spankin' new arcade game.

That would be pretty sweet.

Incenjucar on
    edited October 2009

In a game.

About Ninja Turtles.

For kids.

Let alone 3 of them?

So then why do you keep repeating "for kids"?

Who gives a rat's ass if it's "for kids"? I'm sure the latest movie was for kids. Didn't stop our group of 20+ year olds from being first in line (and the only people over the age who weren't escorting kids to boot).

If it's fun, it's fun. Screw the recommended age notice.

Yep. Passing up things because it's "teh kiddy" is silly. Besides, pretty much everything with the TMNT label, with the arguable exception of the Mirage comics, has been for kids. So it's a little late to gripe about that.

cloudeagle on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    i'd rather those characters have been actually TMNT ones, maybe from the old cartoon or live action series, but it's not a deal breaker.

Local H Jay on
    edited October 2009
    i'd rather those characters have been actually TMNT ones, maybe from the old cartoon or live action series, but it's not a deal breaker.

Apparently Mirage chose the roster according to wiki.

So Yeah I don't know what they hell they were thinking. If they had to choose an Ubisoft mascot over one of the ten billion TMNT characters Altair, Sam and The Prince were RIGHT THERE.

Oh I also wanted to say Fuck Playmates for clinging on to the toy rights for TMNT even after Mirage let them go. Your toys blow ass. They have not been good since the 80's and that is debateable. Die already.

King Riptor on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Kelor wrote: »
    I will always be sad that there was never a good transformers video game

You didn't play the PS2 game? That was pretty great and hard as nails on the higher difficulties.

Armada though.

*cough* the movie DS games *cough*

on topic, I can't believe that TMNT's been bought by Nick.
    I'm hoping for good things.
    I don't believe there will be good things, but I'm hoping.

Antimatter on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    yeah, I never had a PS2

I have zero faith that nickolodean can successfully reboot the franchise. I have negative faith, actually.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    yeah, I never had a PS2

I have zero faith that nickolodean can successfully reboot the franchise. I have negative faith, actually.

I don't think they could do a reboot better than the most recent one. That was pretty close to my idea of perfect. All I hope is they finish releasing the series on DVD

Bloods End on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Are they now the sole right's owner, meaning any future video game could have comic stuff/80's stuff/2003 stuffs in it?

If so, total win for us...as long as another GBA TMNT or Tournament Fighter caliber game pops up.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited October 2009
    Are they now the sole right's owner, meaning any future video game could have comic stuff/80's stuff/2003 stuffs in it?

If so, total win for us...as long as another GBA TMNT or Tournament Fighter caliber game pops up.

They own it lock stock and pizza box.

Now from a game perspective this sounds alright. Ubisoft isn't terrible and god willing they can prove older fans buy more games than the younger ones. God help us if THQ gets the rights though.

King Riptor on