As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Halloween 2009 - A plethora of MJ costumes predicted

So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
HALLOWEEN WOO

This is a thread about Halloween, the traditional night of dressing up like other things and getting wasted and/or begging strangers for candy. Oh yeah and we carve up squash for the heck of it.

So, discuss Halloween you homps.

Best Halloween memory as a kid?

Best costume you've ever worn (pictures!)? Bonus for group of friend ensemble costumes.

Your costume ideas for this year?

Awesome carved pumpkins?

Etc. Etc.

Here is a picture to kick us off:
11-10-2006.jpg

Pets love to be dressed up!

Also:

dsc00003j.jpg

So It Goes on

• HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    hahaha awesome

idea is DELIRIUM!

Have to figure this shit out though

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Help me with a costume everyone. One costume I will be doing is Jules from Pulp Fiction while my friend is Vincent. But for another party there is a theme below

"Now here's where it gets cool! This is not your ordinary Halloween party, this one has a theme, and going along with all of Liz's love of epic biblical themes and names, we have decided Heaven vs. Hell sounds like a lot of fun! However, we want you all the get REALLY creative with these themes, I don't want to just see a ton of people wearing cheap wire halos or headbands with devil horns on them! Your costumes don't even need to be from the Judeo-Christian ideas of Heaven & Hell, so do some research, get creative, get funny, get awesome! There will again be a costume contest with prizes. We really want this party to be a smash, but that will take all of you really coming together on this! We will provide food & soft drinks as well as a birthday cake, we would love if you wanted to volunteer any paper plates/cups, plastic silverware, drinks, firewood, etc. Have an idea for something for the party (costume, way to help, idea for decorations)? Contact us and run it by us, we are ready to offer advice, take advice, run with cool ideas.

This will be pretty rad. ;)"

tldr: good and evil party. suggest creativity and avoiding the generic horns and halos.

I have no fucking idea what to do. So many options. Can anyone throw out some ideas that I could pull off as a black fellow of average build that would fit the theme?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2009
    Anansi!

Hakkekage on
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    Help me with a costume everyone. One costume I will be doing is Jules from Pulp Fiction while my friend is Vincent. But for another party there is a theme below

"Now here's where it gets cool! This is not your ordinary Halloween party, this one has a theme, and going along with all of Liz's love of epic biblical themes and names, we have decided Heaven vs. Hell sounds like a lot of fun! However, we want you all the get REALLY creative with these themes, I don't want to just see a ton of people wearing cheap wire halos or headbands with devil horns on them! Your costumes don't even need to be from the Judeo-Christian ideas of Heaven & Hell, so do some research, get creative, get funny, get awesome! There will again be a costume contest with prizes. We really want this party to be a smash, but that will take all of you really coming together on this! We will provide food & soft drinks as well as a birthday cake, we would love if you wanted to volunteer any paper plates/cups, plastic silverware, drinks, firewood, etc. Have an idea for something for the party (costume, way to help, idea for decorations)? Contact us and run it by us, we are ready to offer advice, take advice, run with cool ideas.

I have no fucking idea what to do. So many options. Can anyone throw out some ideas that I could pull off as a black fellow of average build that would fit the theme?

The Man in Black at the Crossroads, the dude you sell your soul to in order to become a good musician.

Premier kakos on
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Loki.

So It Goes on
    edited October 2009

The Man in Black at the Crossroads, the dude you sell your soul to in order to become a good musician.

Isn't that just Satan?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009

Isn't that just Satan?

Pretty much... BUT WITH JAZZ HANDS! But it would be a rather simple and non-traditional way of dressing up as a demon. Put on a nice black suit, get a black fedora, a harmonica, a bottle of moon shine or something significantly old timey and done.

Premier kakos on
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Despite how unoriginal it may be, I'm really wanting to put together a Rorschach costume.

Totally gonna walk into a Halloween party

"Rorschach's journal, October 31st 2009. Man throwing up in the alley, women dressed like whores. This party is afraid of me, I have seen its true face."

Nocturne on
    edited October 2009
    I saw a sick Rorschach last year

I was just walking down the street in Baltimore, distracted by something

I look up and he's right in front of me, the most perfect fucking costume, with his hands in his pockets and walking very slowly

I was rather creeped out

Hakkekage on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Question: how in shape does one have to be to bull off the leather-jacket-and-bathing-suit look?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Question: how in shape does one have to be to bull off the leather-jacket-and-bathing-suit look?

It's not about shape it's about confidence.

So It Goes on
    edited October 2009
    Hakkekage wrote: »

I was just walking down the street in Baltimore, distracted by something

I look up and he's right in front of me, the most perfect fucking costume, with his hands in his pockets and walking very slowly

I was rather creeped out

I saw one joker like this in a bar last year. He was just sitting by himself. off in a corner. Kind of looking. . .terrifying.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

tldr: good and evil party. suggest creativity and avoiding the generic horns and halos.

you can go many directions with this, you can dress up as any of your favorite doom or quake characters
    i would suggest this guy
    shambler.jpg

OR
    if you wanna go the judeo christian route with a bit of creativity, you could try to envision what Satan woulda looked like prior to the fall or immediately thereafter where you could combine stereotypical angelic and demonic features (burned wings, wounds, etc)

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    man i should dress like swayze in dirty dancing

say i'm going as a ghost

(but not dress like swayze from ghost that would be too obvious)

Pony on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Roadhouse is definitely the way to go, Pony.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I shall draw a big curly mustache on my face and go as my evil twin.

Or would a Goatee be better?

RMS Oceanic on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    this year i am making my own mario costume. i found a good cap online, and some really blue denim overalls. i need a long sleeve red shirt and some white gloves now, and it will be so gooood.
    last year i was one of the fifty jokers walking around my town, but i spent hours practicing the make up so it came out pretty well. most people half-assed that part so i was pleased with it.

Local H Jay on
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I will probably keep it easy this year, pull out my sonic screwdriver prop, and be the Doctor.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I stop at this place for lunch occasionally. It's out in the middle of Bumfuck, FL.

Every year they have a Halloween party, and being idiots, they host all the pictures on their website. They're borderline NWS I believe, and definitely Not Mind Safe.

http://www.blackwaterinn.com/index.cfm?idsPageID=13&idsEventID=11

Notice the "chinaman", the people in blackface who got first prize, and the gorilla holding an Obama placard. It's really surprising this kind of thing is still encouraged.

I can only imagine this year's pictures.

Octoparrot on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hakkekage wrote: »

I was rather creeped out

You were creeped out because must be GUILTY of something. :P

emnmnme on
  • BackstopBackstop Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I would have real difficulty not punching anyone who seriously uses the phrase "get creative." Brings to mind some overly-caffeinated cheerleader at a corporate team-building camp.

Backstop on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    I suggested this in chat the other day, and well, look at my avatar.

Zombie Billy Mays.

JustinSane07 on
  • Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Archgarth wrote: »
    I will probably keep it easy this year, pull out my sonic screwdriver prop, and be the Doctor.

I'm thinking of making a TARDIS out of cardboard to bring with me, but I'm not sure how big it should be so as to not be cumbersome. Which Doctor will you be going as?

My other costume idea was to get six or seven of my friends to each dress up as one of the Killer 7. Unfortunately, I don't think any of them has played it, so I won't be able to do this.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I suggested this in chat the other day, and well, look at my avatar.

Zombie Billy Mays.

If you have a friend, they could go as a Guilty-Looking Shamwow Vince.

KalTorak on
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm still thinking Black Lantern Superman, but lack the funds to get a decent costume together.

Gotta think of something, though- we're doing a scavenger hunt in Hollywood on Halloween

Tach on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Three years ago, I was qailman.
    Two years ago, I was wikipedia. (Just printed a bunch of articles and made a jerry-rigged tear away from shirt thing)
    Last year, I was jack skellington and my gf was sally. We looked pretty great -- full costumes, but the only picture I have that isn't the two of us is just me in face paint.)
    Photo1-2.jpg

This year, we might be going as Joan and John Sterling from Mad Men.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    My personal favorite costume is this one guy who totally nailed woody harrelson's character from White Men Can't Jump. Apparently I was the only person who guessed it at the party.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    A personal favorite from years ago: My gf wore a plain white t-shirt, decorated with foam cut outs, matchbox cars, and sharpie drawn streets. She pinned a Godzilla figure to her shoulder.

Tokyo.

Also, my buddy was going to wear a toga with a dildo peeking out the bottom. Biggus Dickus. However, it was a PG party, so he pinned a yellow flashing bike light to his shoulder, and bought an obscenely bright flashlight.

He was that guy behind you with one headlight and constantly turing left.

Tach on
  • Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah we did Jack + Sally a few years back:

http://imgur.com/nvC8D.jpg

I also did a Bender costume freshman year of college that I was pretty proud of:

http://imgur.com/rrAcG.jpg

This year I think we're doing Kermit + Miss Piggy. I'd like to find a way to get away with it without a full mask, since that's a pain in the ass at a party.

Plus maybe I could do "reporter Kermit," which would give me an excuse to buy a trenchcoat and fedora.

hqdefault.jpg

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Someone should totally do this...

http://www.microflight.com/Balloon-Boy-Halloween-Costume-Kit

I'm not dressing up this year, it's going to be tough enough making sure everything ELSE gets done before Halloween.

Nerissa on
  • ThesmileyemoThesmileyemo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Last year I was Rorschach.
    rorschach.jpg

Wearing a Rorschach costume all night sucked. It was hot, and hard to see. So this year, I'm just doing Arthur Dent. A housecoat, a towel, and a book with "don't panic" written in big friendly letters on the front.

Thesmileyemo on
  • Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Last year I was a Ghostbuster.
    dsc00650rq4.jpg

This year I will be a Ghostbuster.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Last year my son was
    RU85301350.jpg
    This year my son will be
    yhst-64959371776320_2074_124436182

He will not allow that hat to stay on his head. Hats are deemed to silly to wear. I do think he will have a blast with extra arms though.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm going as House. I don't know whether to feel good or bad that five of my six best friends have said, "Well, you've already got the know-it-all asshole part down."

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm trying to convince myself to spend $100 on a Dr Horrible replica lab coat, because apparently no one in all of North America sells that style of lab coat these days and I can't sew.

If not, then this looks pretty easy and cheap, though time-consuming.
    officespace_halloween_costume.jpg

Nerissa wrote: »

I'm not dressing up this year, it's going to be tough enough making sure everything ELSE gets done before Halloween.

They're charging $20 for a balloon and a cardboard box? D:

BubbaT on
  • Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    BubbaT wrote: »
    I'm trying to convince myself to spend $100 on a Dr Horrible replica lab coat, because apparently no one in all of North America sells that style of lab coat these days and I can't sew.

Eh... I don't know if I'd pay 100 bucks for the coat. Do you have a link or something? I was thinking of dressing as him myself, but I'd have to buy every part of the costume. I normally make things out of clothes I already have

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

If not, then this looks pretty easy and cheap, though time-consuming.
    officespace_halloween_costume.jpg

Nerissa wrote: »

They're charging $20 for a balloon and a cardboard box? D:

Here is something pretty close...you could maybe paint the buttons white or something.

http://www.amasquerade.com/search_results.asp?search=scientist

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Eh... I don't know if I'd pay 100 bucks for the coat. Do you have a link or something? I was thinking of dressing as him myself, but I'd have to buy every part of the costume. I normally make things out of clothes I already have

Irongate Gallery for US buyers - $130

Annoying: super-cheap yet only ships within UK

The rest of the costume is easy, you just need welding goggles and gloves, and galoshes. Each of those is probably under $10 each on Amazon.

BubbaT on
  • RadiojockRadiojock Calgary, ABRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Still debating hitting up a few parties dressed up as a giant nacho chip.
    (Also, Still trying to get the GF to go along with my plan to make her a giant jar of Queso.)

I don't think it's gonna jazz with the work-hosted/sponsored bash we're throwing downtown this year, since the theme is Retro. I expect a 50% MJ costume level.

Damned happy we changed our grand prize for the contest to "Best Retro Costume".
    Originally, it was best MJ costume.

*sigh*

Radiojock on
  • MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hmmm Halloween plans ... well me and the fiancee are going with friends to Rocky Horror on the 30th, then a party following and going well into Saturday, and for both I'm dressing up as a 'retro basketball player', got a jersey and basketball shorts (that she's gonna hem really short), knee high socks and a wig and sweat band. Also gotta Sharpie some curly chest hairs on me.

She's going as a really steretypical nerd with hiked up pants, button up shirt, gigantic 80's glasses and a small collection of pokemon cards stuffed in her ink-stained pocket protector.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!