As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

TMNT Smash Up: A ha ha ha (A ha ha ha) Hey heyo (hey heyo)

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'll find it when I get home...I can't go to many sites here at work.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Oooooh! Linky?

Call me weird, but I'd buy this game just for the rabbids. I love them so.

Check the op.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    http://wiifolder.com/2009/09/gameplay-tmnt-smash-up-technodrome/

Here you go Cloud...Ninja Rabbid fighting on the Technodrome level.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    http://wiifolder.com/2009/09/gameplay-tmnt-smash-up-technodrome/

Here you go Cloud...Ninja Rabbid fighting on the Technodrome level.

<3

Wish the rights issues on the 80s' stuff could have been worked out. Ah well.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I'm not sure it would have mattered. Peter Laird has never been shy about his disdain for the 80's cartoon which really moved away from his original vision and made it more silly.

I can't say for sure he would have willingly used any of those characters even if he had access to use them.

I'm sure including the Technodrome wasn't even his idea as a backround piece.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I'm not sure it would have mattered. Peter Laird has never been shy about his disdain for the 80's cartoon which really moved away from his original vision and made it more silly.

I can't say for sure he would have willingly used any of those characters even if he had access to use them.

I'm sure including the Technodrome wasn't even his idea as a backround piece.

Well, faux Rocksteadies and Bebops have shown up multiple times in the current 'toon. Not to mention the existence of the "worlds collide" thing.

Personally I would have just liked a redesigned Rocksteady and Bebop, but ah well.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Djiem wrote: »
    agoaj wrote: »
    Anybody else get this? Want to try the tournament mode?

I got it, and sure, I'll try the online, see if it's any good!
    FC: 0775-3708-9268

4855-5831-3179

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Personally I would have just liked a redesigned Rocksteady and Bebop, but ah well.

mutantsforPlaymatessm.jpg

Anyway, Mirage owns the rights to Bebop and Rocksteady, and most if not all of the characters and such from the old cartoon... just not the cartoons themselves.
    I have answered this question before, and STILL people claim in various forums that the reason Bebop and Rocksteady aren't being used in new TMNT merchandising is that Mirage doesn't have the right to them.

This is totally incorrect.

Mirage owns the rights to Bebop and Rocksteady, and could -- if I gave my approval -- use them in any fashion we desired. I choose not to do that. I saw enough of Bebop and Rocksteady in the old show to last me a lifetime.

That being said, there is a little bit of "wiggle room" here. And I can't go any further than that right now. -- PL
    I was never terribly fond of many of the "classic" characters, especially Bebop and Rocksteady, to begin with. They were SO overused and overexposed through all the years of the first animated show that I really got quite sick of them.
    "2)There has always been the perception that you had a strong dislike(or was at least apathetic) toward the old cartoon series, although looking at how 25th anniversary has been geared mostly toward the fans of the old toon and given the rumored premise of the direct to DVD project, are you open to the possibility of having characters and concepts from that show (i.e. Bebop, Krang, the Technodrome, ect) being used in some form again in a future TMNT project, such as a new cartoon, new toys, or other licensed property?"

Without saying too much (don't want to give away any secrets just yet about that DVD project), I am open to limited -- VERY limited -- use of those old characters and concepts.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think Laird should quit being a little bitch and just accept the fact that the cartoon was popular and introduced a lot of newcomers to the franchise. The 22 year old fans of today are most likely the ones who started with the show. We're the man-children keeping this license afloat goddammit!

Gilder on
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wow, I had no idea he was such a bitch about things.
    Seriously, they are part of the franchise, whether you like it or not.
    Get over it, we want to see them.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    My opinion: if he doesn't like what they were, remake them into something that fits that he might like. Can't say it would be anything unusual for the series.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2009
    If he can't find a use for the characters, then he's not going to remold them into anything.

While I motherfuckin' loved the turtles as a kid, I'm pretty jaded about the cartoons of my childhood (especially the damn 80s), so I can look back at TMNT and see why he hates it with such a passion. I'd be irritated too if my creation was turned into G.I. Joe.

I recall hating the comics as a kid. This is because my well-intentioned mother knew I liked the cartoon but didn't realize how different it was from the actual comic. Being thrown into some random issue creates a lot of confusion.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Even the archie comics. Why was Raphael in a gimp suit? We may never know.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    While I motherfuckin' loved the turtles as a kid, I'm pretty jaded about the cartoons of my childhood (especially the damn 80s), so I can look back at TMNT and see why he hates it with such a passion. I'd be irritated too if my creation was turned into G.I. Joe.

Yeah, I agree. While there are some concepts and episodes I like, looking back on it is kind of dreadful. I prefer other forms of the Turtles now, including the newer ones.
    I recall hating the comics as a kid. This is because my well-intentioned mother knew I liked the cartoon but didn't realize how different it was from the actual comic. Being thrown into some random issue creates a lot of confusion.

I was in agreement with this as a kid. I got some of the trades, and it was NOTHING like the cartoon. Kind of put me off the originals for a while, though seeing the movie helped ease the transition (and the 2K3 cartoon even more so, if necessary).
    agoaj wrote: »
    Even the archie comics. Why was Raphael in a gimp suit? We may never know.

...wait. What? Are you sure you're talking about the right ones?

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I think by "gimp suit" he means Raphael dressing up in all black for some reason. Though apparently he does so in the game too, I guess? I dunno.

I'm actually just starting to watch the 2000's TMNT series. I have no idea why I didn't catch it the first time.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think by "gimp suit" he means Raphael dressing up in all black for some reason. Though apparently he does so in the game too, I guess? I dunno.

I'm actually just starting to watch the 2000's TMNT series. I have no idea why I didn't catch it the first time.

Probably because it aired on a block called "4Kids TV", which was entirely poorly-dubbed and edited anime outside of TMNT, the lone original programming in the block.

I'm still shocked 6 years later at how nicely the 2k3 series turned out considering it came out of 4Kids.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I have a bunch of the original DVD releases, but they released box sets a while back that I wish I would have purchased when I had the chance. (They seem to be out of print now)

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Probably because it aired on a block called "4Kids TV", which was entirely poorly-dubbed and edited anime outside of TMNT, the lone original programming in the block.

I'm still shocked 6 years later at how nicely the 2k3 series turned out considering it came out of 4Kids.

That's probably the reason I didn't catch it the first time. (Also why I missed the fantastic Avatar: The Last Airbender the first time around. "An action-adventure show... done by Nickelodeon? Derisive snort. I'll pass.")

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Oh, that? That was Raph's outfit from Stump and Sling's Intergalactic Wrestling Federation in Dimension-X, where they were kidnapped to and had to compete in order to be able to go back home. Raph kept his since, unlike the other three, it actually made pretty decent camouflage.

Even so, I was glad when he went back to his regular look.

In the game, however, it's his Nightwatcher outfit/weapons from his vigilante stint in the last movie. Completely different, shy of both looking like big, black turtles.

It is quite awesome. I especially loved the Ninja Tribunal Arc. After that, it took a bit of a dive as it tried desperately to stay relevant. It was still good, in a way, but not nearly as good, and didn't really seem to fit what came before quite as well. Even so, given it ends with Back to the Sewer (before Turtles Forever, anyway), it may be worth it to see it through to the end, as it did have a neat finale.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Gilder wrote: »
    I think Laird should quit being a little bitch and just accept the fact that the cartoon was popular and introduced a lot of newcomers to the franchise. The 22 year old fans of today are most likely the ones who started with the show. We're the man-children keeping this license afloat goddammit!

Pretty much. He should stop being a little bitch and realize that his original concept was less popular with the majority of TMNT consumers. Sure, as an artist he can redefine his vision of where the IP is going, but I personally don't give two flips about his new/original crap. I only care about the 80's toon. If there'd been some of that in this game, I'd have bothered to at least rent it.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    AlienCowThatMoosAlienCowThatMoos Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

I'm confused. I thought the expensive part of a direct to DVD movie was making the movie. If they've got a completed movie with a built-in fan-base who will buy it regardless of the quality....... what's the problem here?

AlienCowThatMoos on
    SpidermanSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Problem is, their plans for a one-night-only theatrical showing fell through. So no big-screen movie gatherings for the people able.

On a separate note, finally got the game today.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ah, I misread that article too. I thought it meant there would be no movie at all. It's just saying there won't be a fancy, special screening?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    That's what appears to be the case.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Funny how much I wind up double-posting here. Oh well, hopefully you guys will think this first footage of the special is worth it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqbjIrMznBA

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ugh, Leo's voice is the worst. I couldn't tell from the preview clip from a while back, but that VA is not right for the role. He should just stick to Knuckles and Yugi. The rest sounded okay from what I heard though. It's still disappointing that they didn't get any of the old VA's, considering they're all still alive and even did an interview for one of the DVDs where they showed they can still do the voices. Rob Paulsen will always be Raphael in my heart and it shall be hard to deal with his absence.

Gilder on
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ha ha, that's pretty awesome. I'm glad there's a bunch of in references.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I have to admit: Leo sounded good in the voice clip before, but yeah, voice is a tad deep here...

...and my god, that smile...

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    My god, April is stacked. Was she as top-heavy in the old cartoon?

This is in no way a complaint mind you.

AlienCowThatMoos on
    SpidermanSig.jpg
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Funny how much I wind up double-posting here. Oh well, hopefully you guys will think this first footage of the special is worth it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqbjIrMznBA

Hot April is hot! Remember, it's not April O'Neil unless she's wearing the yellow jumpsuit!

I've watched a fair amount of the 4Kids Turtles cartoon; I thought it was okay, but this looks like it'll be worth seeing for the sheer absurdity. Sure, not having Cam Clarke back as Classic Leo is kind of a bummer, but I'll accept Dan Green hamming it up as a substitute.

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    My god, April is stacked. Was she as top-heavy in the old cartoon?

This is in no way a complaint mind you.

Pretty much. Actually I remember her jumpsuit was zipped down a bit more back then.

Heh, nice that they're hanging a lantern on just how batshit goofy the original TMNT was.

Bummer about the VAs, though... Splinter sounds off as well. It makes no damn sense that they couldn't just get the original ones, pretty much all of whom are still working, but maybe they were just too cheap or there was some licensing weirdness or whatnot.

I'm actually watching the 4Kids toon for the first time... I'm up to the first fight against Shredder, and I have to say I'm not all that impressed at this point. The plots are kinda meh, the fight scenes lack real oomph, and the turtles are just too catchphrase-a-riffic. Does it get better?

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I think it does. Of course, one might then argue that it falls pretty heavily after Ninja Tribunal, too.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I love the reactions of the 2k3 turtles.
    They haven't got a goddamn clue what's going on.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    This is only vaguely related to the games, but since people are interested in the turtles I thought I'd pass this along:
    Nickelodeon has announced the acquisition of the global rights to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles franchise from the Mirage Group and 4Kids Entertainment. A new CGI animated TV series has begun development, with a scheduled premiere date in 2012, and Nickelodeon has also partnered with corporate sibling Paramount Pictures to develop a Turtles feature film which is also slated for 2012. The lucrative merchandising rights are included in the deal as well, and Nickelodeon will continue to work with its long-standing partner Playmates Toys on new Turtles toys.

http://news.toonzone.net/articles/31520/nick-acquires-rights-for-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-new-tv-series-and-movie

Yes, you read that right: Mirage and, by extension, TMNT creator Peter Laird no longer has any ownership stake in TMNT anymore. Nickelodeon is calling all the shots. Holy shit.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Wow. :shock:

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Wow. :shock:

I'll admit, I did not see that coming.

AlienCowThatMoos on
    SpidermanSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Nor I.

In fact, I was in such complete disbelief that I forgot to even post about it here.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Does this mean Peter won't be making his comics anymore? OR does this just apply to TV rights?

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Does this mean Peter won't be making his comics anymore? OR does this just apply to TV rights?

There's always the chance that Nick could license the use of the turtles back to him for a comic.

But Nick owns it 100%. And the company is VERY protective of its properties and their image. So I seriously doubt they'd allow him to do anything that isn't kid-friendly.

cloudeagle on