As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Office thread: Shove it up your butt!

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited September 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
Just like shutting down one paper company, we will make another, then another, and another!

0000000540_20060919015544.jpg

The Office official website

The US version of The Office is now in it's 6th season, with changes such as Jim being Co-Manager with Michael, Pam letting everyone know she is pregnant, and the highlight being Jim and Pam's Wedding in Niagara Falls:

the-office-wedding.jpg

We also have TV imitating Youtube, which is now on Youtube, making it some trippy box inside a box thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LAuhUp8Uh8

So far we have lost Holly:

goodbyetoby-holly-Copy.jpg

But we have gained Erin:

Office_Erin-Copy.jpg

It's still in its 9pm est slot on Thursdays on NBC, with Hulu being another option.

TexiKen on

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    There are too many comedy shows trying to imitate The Office's style of comedy. Guy does goofy thing then, during a cutaway, he responds to the goofy action with an even goofier answer. Knock it off, other comedy shows. You can't explain why a camera crew is following you for interviews.

emnmnme on
  • InHumanInHuman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Jim was fine this episode, it had less to do with him being a boss than it did his wife looking like a lunatic..

InHuman on
  • cyphrcyphr Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    What was up with Erin needing to get Michael's permission to put out the candy, and generally kissing ass to Michael the whole episode? Did I miss something?

cyphr on
    steam_sig.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, I couldn't really figure Erin's deal out in this episode.

KalTorak on
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    yeah, that part with erin went nowhere

i thought theyd at least have one more scene involving that

Joolander on
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    1) They cut out another deleted scene like they did the other week that involved Erin.

2) Erin seems like the kind of person who is afraid to have people dislike her, and this is another manifestation of that.

Terrendos on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Michael did seem to respond positively to being asked first about the candy though.

Pam's just jealous because Erin is a far superior receptionist.

TexiKen on
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I still have no idea where that fedora came from.

Thetheroo on
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This episode needed more Andy. Although it was definitely awesome that Jim used Andy's taste in music to scare Dwight.

Terrendos on
  • RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The part where the camera zooms in on Micheal's goofy face when Pam is realizing just who's mother he's talking about- major creepy.

Loved the opera playing while Dwight scowls at Jim. Fit perfectly.

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The part where the camera zooms in on Micheal's goofy face when Pam is realizing just who's mother he's talking about- major creepy.

Loved the opera playing while Dwight scowls at Jim. Fit perfectly.

Pam's face as the horror just slowly dawns on her is an amazing thing.

BloodySloth on
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dwight's plan was awesome. And I love how much of a smug douche Ryan has become, even though he's still just a temp.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Man I think Pam overreacted way too much. It was funny at first, but it literally got to the point where it was just way too over the top. She should have been sent home or reprimanded.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Heir wrote: »
    Man I think Pam overreacted way too much. It was funny at first, but it literally got to the point where it was just way too over the top. She should have been sent home or reprimanded.

Well yeah, if it wasn't Michael she'd have been suspended if not fired for acting like that. It was over the top especially since I believe that Michael genuinely likes Pam and wants her to be happy and all he's asking for is the same token.

DarkWarrior on
  • InHumanInHuman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Pam's gonna feel like crap when something she finally says makes her mom dump Michael...

InHuman on
    edited October 2009
    Michael sounds happy and Pams mom wont treat him like Jan did, while she might be as perfect as the other girl was for him I hope it lasts and he gets to be awkward but happy for a whil.e

DarkWarrior on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Pam came off as a HUGE bitch. I was actively rooting for her to be fired.

Kyougu on
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Jesus were all you people this adamant for Michael's firing throughout his numerous, numerous mishaps?

ChaosHat on
    edited October 2009
    When has Michael ever acted like that to his bosses?

DarkWarrior on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Michael was only ever a ass to Miner and that's because Miner is an asshole.

The only time Michael went completely over the top stupid is when he completely trashed the warehouse during the women's workshop episode.

All the other times is his own stupidity making things worse, like sending the Sandals photo out to everyone, or trying to convince everyone he was disabled. Pam was just being mean, especially when she kept wanting to know who it was.

And the deleted scene with Erin and the candy really adds to the theme that no one really likes Erin in the office because she's too nice. I would have thought they would have Andy be around the desk all the time ala Jim and Pam.

TexiKen on
    edited October 2009
    And there was Michaels thing about "whats wrong with me?", the guy just wants a little happiness.

DarkWarrior on
    edited October 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »

The only time Michael went completely over the top stupid is when he completely trashed the warehouse during the women's workshop episode.

All the other times is his own stupidity making things worse, like sending the Sandals photo out to everyone, or trying to convince everyone he was disabled. Pam was just being mean, especially when she kept wanting to know who it was.

And the deleted scene with Erin and the candy really adds to the theme that no one really likes Erin in the office because she's too nice. I would have thought they would have Andy be around the desk all the time ala Jim and Pam.

Right, these are all fireable offenses, much less the repeated doing of them, not to mention his overall cultural insensitivity which was remarked on in the pilot season, during the diversity day thing.

Other offenses off the top of my head:

Alcohol at a company party
    Sneaking to Nashua and breaking the big copier
    Basically the whole episode of Gay Witch Hunt
    Hiring a stripper then having her work in the office?
    Conspiring to keep Meredith an employee even though she traded sex for discounts

One of those things or so is probably allowable. ALL of them? Not to mention countless potential lawsuits from customers, employees and coworkers due to cultural stupidity and insensitivity which would cost the company countless millions. He definitely would have been let go a lonnnnng time ago.

"Oh, but it's a tv show." Right, and it's a great and hilarious tv show, and it wouldn't be the same without it. I'm just wondering why there's one standard of reality for Michael, and then another standard of reality for Pam. Was she overreacting? Yes. Is this fireable in The Office universe? It's pretty damn mild considering the "Did I stutter?" incident from Stanley.

/rant.

ChaosHat on
    edited October 2009
    ChaosHat wrote: »

Right, these are all fireable offenses, much less the repeated doing of them, not to mention his overall cultural insensitivity which was remarked on in the pilot season, during the diversity day thing.

Conspiring to keep Meredith an employee even though she traded sex for discounts

One of those things or so is probably allowable. ALL of them? Not to mention countless potential lawsuits from customers, employees and coworkers due to cultural stupidity and insensitivity which would cost the company countless millions. He definitely would have been let go a lonnnnng time ago.

"Oh, but it's a tv show." Right, and it's a great and hilarious tv show, and it wouldn't be the same without it. I'm just wondering why there's one standard of reality for Michael, and then another standard of reality for Pam. Was she overreacting? Yes. Is this fireable in The Office universe? It's pretty damn mild considering the "Did I stutter?" incident from Stanley.

/rant.

Doing some dodgy stuff on the side and talking that way to your boss are pretty different things.

DarkWarrior on
  • YarYar Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It seems they ahve new writers or the writers have changed course. The last two episodes haven't seemed like The Office at all. Pam getting furious and yelling at Michael was just strange.

Yar on
  • Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    ChaosHat wrote: »

/rant.

Doing some dodgy stuff on the side and talking that way to your boss are pretty different things.

Michael's never been fired for his treatment of Toby.
    Toby, who represents HR, which is the group that is supposed to be neutral and in charge of arbitration, has consistently been harassed in a variety of ways throughout the whole show.

What Pam did was certainly inappropriate. But to say that she deserves getting the boot more than Michael is absurd,

Zombie Gandhi on
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Is there anywhere to watch the deleted scene in Canada? Global only has full episodes.

If not, what happens in the deleted scene?

TubularLuggage on
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Is there anywhere to watch the deleted scene in Canada? Global only has full episodes.

If not, what happens in the deleted scene?

erin announces to the office that there are now candies from the halperts for everyone, and nobody seems to care, at all

then kevin walks up, and takes about half of them and stuffs them in his pocket

Joolander on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Looks like we get another awkward dinner date with Michael episode in two weeks. Yay!

Robos A Go Go on
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I thought it was an awesome episode. I loved Pam's initial reaction, just the way they built it. Same with Jim's actually.

noir_blood on
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh my. Her reaction to finding out was indeed the best. It was like a train wreck of emotionally epic proportions.
    :o

:winky:

:)

:?

:(

o_O

:x

"NO. OH MY GOD. NOOOOOOoooooooooo!"

<commercial break>

"AHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhh!"

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • ThesmileyemoThesmileyemo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

The deleted scenes on nbc.com work. It's just the full episodes that won't play.

Thesmileyemo on
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »

This. When Michael asked her if his happiness was important to her and she responded saying something like "not in the least" I was pretty shocked. I actually disliked her at that point.

Also, Jim is slowly becoming more and more like Michael. Everytime things got awkward or he was put on the spot her either yelled at Toby or tried to do a funny voice. AWESOME.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

This. When Michael asked her if his happiness was important to her and she responded saying something like "not in the least" I was pretty shocked. I actually disliked her at that point.

It was a heat of the moment thing. Before, she encouraged him to continue seeing his girlfriend precisely because it would make him happy.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited October 2009

Also, Jim is slowly becoming more and more like Michael. Everytime things got awkward or he was put on the spot her either yelled at Toby or tried to do a funny voice. AWESOME.

I kinda liked this joke back when Jim was in charge of The Office during the Survivorman episode and towards the end Michael was like "Oh, you'll get it, in a few years." Right now though it just comes off as...predictable and overplayed anymore. Jim is a smart guy when he is motivated and wants to do something. I wish they'd show him as inept in a less...Michael Scott manner. I imagine he'd be awkward learning the ropes and being the new superior to long time coworkers, but they could do it different.

In regards to the Pam hate, I agree she overreacted, but I think it is fairly understandable. Michael is already pretty unbearable and considers himself a part of the PB&J relationship, I can't imagine what an annoyance he would be if he actually became a permanent fixture in her personal life. Also, she basically learned in the worst way possible. This should have come from her mom, outside of work where they could have talked about it and maybe gotten Pam to calm down.

Clarity Edit: An annoyance to her. It would probably be hilarious, but I doubt Pam would want to hear about her mom getting some from Michael (which he would totally gossip about) and his general overbearingness.

ChaosHat on
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Specifically, I believe she said "I could give a shit about your happiness". Which isn't even grammatically correct, either!

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    No one seems to be considering that Pam is pregnant.

That doesn't excuse her flipping out entirely but it makes it considerably more understandable, and definitely not fire-worthy.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

edited October 2009
    I think we're not considering it because she doesn't seem outwardly to be very far along. I mean, I'm no babiesologist, but she's gotta be roughly six monthsish by now (they stated at the start of the season it was 5 months, and about a week per episode...) and I figure she'd be showing it more than that.

Also, another thing Michael did that added fuel to the fire was taking the cell phone call right outside the door. He had to have known it would incense her. Granted, she was being loud and bitchy during the meeting but that doesn't make it right. Calling her out and announcing that he was dating Pam's mom to the whole office definitely would not make it better.

ChaosHat on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If Michael Scott was banging my mother, and could potentially become my Step-Father, I'd probably have the same reaction. He's quite simply that annoying; especially when he feels entitled to something. (Which he would, being a Stepfather).

Undead Scottsman on
    edited October 2009
    Honestly, I think it was the perfect shitstorm for Pam. She did just come back from her honeymoon. Also, after rewatching the conference room bit, I think they probably wrote it to seem like a daughter/stepdad thing, which made it a little more over the top. The whole "You will NEVER be my father" and the way Michael called her out on it (which is pretty out of character for him) really sold that.

ChaosHat on
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Theres an egg on your head, and the yolk is running down. . .
    The yolk is running down. . .
    Theres a knife in your back and the blood is gushing down. . .

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend