As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

DS/GBA Castlevania thread

Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Games and Technology
Personally I love most the GBA/DS series so far. Granted I haven't played Circle of the Moon and haven't finished Harmony of Dissonance yet, but the rest of the games above there are all fantastic. Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow was the first DS game I bought along with Sonic Rush, and DoS is easily still one of my favorite DS games (maybe even one of my favorite games in general). The music in DoS still gives me chills and some of the boss fights are pretty amazing. I don't think my jaw has dropped playing a DS game until I was fighting the boss in the tower, and halfway through the fight the floor breaks, sending Soma and the boss plummeting and smashing through 5 or so storeys (me still smashing him with an axe all the way down). Julius mode, eg, the unlockable mode where you play as Julius, Alucard and a sorceress character to make your way through the castle and destroy the resurrected Dracula could easily be packaged as it's own game and I'd buy it. I've gone through that mode multiple times since it's just so damn fun.

I was pleasantley surprised with Aria of Sorrow too. I'd played many hours of DoS and expected to be a little underhwlmed seeing as going from the DS to the GBA was a bit of a downgrade, but the gameplay, graphics and atmosphere were all still solid and captivating.

I enojoyed Portrait of Ruin enough to beat it and spend a good solid 20 hours or so, but it didn't grab me the way DoS did. Some great bossfights in there and an enjoyable game. I'd highly reccomend it (I'm actually thinking of buying it back and replaying it). It had some fantastic post-game gameplay modes too. I wasn't too fond of the tag system but it worked okay and the game didn't have any real flaws in my opinion.

I recentley bought Order of Ecclesia and rate this nearly as good as Dawn of Sorrow. Whereas the last few games' art styles were anime based, this goes for something more like Symphony of the night. Instead of exploring one huge castle, you pick which level you want to go to from the hub map and make your way through. It's a great system that really eases up on backtracking. The music is pretty damn fantastic in this game too, but it's probably the hardest game in this tread. I'm currentley up to fighting Dracula and haven't figured out yet if this game is harder than DoS or I just got worse at these kinda games.

Anyway, GBA/DS castlevania thread. Please use spoilers if needs be. :)

tf2_sig.png
Hotlead Junkie on

• B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You still have those anti-hotlinking images in the OP.

They released Castlevania 1 on the GBA. WHY OH WHY did they never do Castlevania 2!?

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • FattronicusFattronicus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I actually just busted out DoS the other night to see where I left off due to an insane stretch of pre-winter boredom. 98.9% complete and I instantly was like "Man fuck finding whatever 1.1% I need," and just turned it off. Awesome game though. And I got to the Dracula fight of Ecclesia before I just kind of stopped playing it. I don't know if I genuinely liked it or just liked it cause I paid full price for it.

Fattronicus on
    76561197968482768.png
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    B:L wrote: »
    They released Castlevania 1 on the GBA. WHY OH WHY did they never do Castlevania 2!?

Maybe a few good reasons here...

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I still haven't beaten Order of Ecclesia. I should get on that. Dawn of Sorrow was actually my first Metroidvania, and the first game I really fell in love with for the DS.

SirUltimos on
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I must confess I've never beaten the original Castlevania (fuck Dracula) but somehow managed to finish Castlevania 2 through some demonic pact. Or Nintendo Power. Whatever.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Chen wrote: »
    I must confess I've never beaten the original Castlevania (fuck Dracula) but somehow managed to finish Castlevania 2 through some demonic pact. Or Nintendo Power. Whatever.

Provided you know what to do, Castlevania 2 isn't very hard. The problem is that it's nearly impossible to know what you need to do (crouching by the lake with the blue crystal, crouching by the cliff with the red crystal, showing the heart[?] to the ferryman, etc.) without some sort of guide.

The original Castlevania, on the other hand, requires an incredible amount of skill to beat.

Hedgethorn on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Man, I'm good at Castlevania games. Not a prodigy but I'm pretty good. I can't beat Dracula in OoE playing as Albus with his trusty pea shooter. It takes FOREVER to whittle Dracula down and five hits mean you're dead. It's like walking on eggshells but I'm determined to beat it and see the super mega awesome secret ending to Albus mode.

emnmnme on
    edited October 2009
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    The original Castlevania, on the other hand, requires an incredible amount of skill to beat.

I've always wondered how much easier the original would be if Simon Belmont could double jump, backdash, and whip in multiple directions. It's not that the Grim Reaper is tough - you just can't change your direction mid-air like you can in modern Castlevania games.

emnmnme on
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »

I've always wondered how much easier the original would be if Simon Belmont could double jump, backdash, and whip in multiple directions. It's not that the Grim Reaper is tough - you just can't change your direction mid-air like you can in modern Castlevania games.

Increased mobility would make the early levels much easier. The later levels, where four hits is death (less if there's a pit around, and there always is) would still be very challenging, even with modernized controls.

Hedgethorn on
  • Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Man, I'm good at Castlevania games. Not a prodigy but I'm pretty good. I can't beat Dracula in OoE playing as Albus with his trusty pea shooter. It takes FOREVER to whittle Dracula down and five hits mean you're dead. It's like walking on eggshells but I'm determined to beat it and see the super mega awesome secret ending to Albus mode.

Oooh, sweet, I was hoping for an Albus mode :D

Guh, I really made it way more complicated for myself when trying to avoid the bad ending. I ended up accidentally killing him purley using Trapor, the glyph that traps your opponent. I was determined not to kill the guy then realised the solution was much simpler than I thought.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I enjoyed how Retro Game Challenge had the mysterious graveyard duck. It's just unfortunate that we still don't know what Dracula's Riddle actually was.

Gilder on
  • Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Gilder wrote: »
    I enjoyed how Retro Game Challenge had the mysterious graveyard duck. It's just unfortunate that we still don't know what Dracula's Riddle actually was.

Explain.

Also, something just occured to me. I think I've seen a rubber duckie in every single castlevania game I've played.... Anyone else noticed this?

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    cviigraveyardduck.jpg

:?:

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That's the duck, and in Guadia Quest on Retro Game Challenge there's a duck in a graveyard. It's specifically making fun of that line. It's not a mistranslation either, the original japanese dialogue also told players to look for a duck or some other bird in the graveyard. Apparently the designers purposefully made the villagers all give terrible hints that are either too obscure to be useful or they're just flat lies.

Edit:
    DRACULASRIDDLE.jpg

Gilder on
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    I started playing dawn of sorrow again recently, and went out and bought order of eccelsia for something new in the same vein.

Ugh what a mistake. It does have some neat new features, but I really hated all the boss fights. Ended up selling it to a friend to get rid of it. I made it up to elgios(the centaur), was having trouble with him and just gave up. Had no issues with death though, too many years of beating him.

The fact all your weapons were mana based was kind of annoying too, especially when you got cursed.

Morkath on
  • psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009

Simple. It would be like playing Contravania, you'd never be in any serious danger of dieing. They could have done that on the NES, but it doesn't make sense.

If you want to play right when it started to cross into easy mode, Super Castlevania is where it's at, and is a damn good game. You've got the multi directional whip yet lack the "I can air dodge everything" simpleness.

No hit contra runs, pretty easy even though the game moves FAR faster, and throws FAR more objects at you. No hit CV runs, IMHO not possible without save states. That about sums it up.
    The later levels, where four hits is death (less if there's a pit around, and there always is) would still be very challenging, even with modernized controls.

See contra above, even in the later contra levels, which really spam crap at you, you won't really die. 3 lives is more then enough.

The death pits, only pose a threat because of reduced air control, remove it and that threat goes away, that sucks the threat from the enemies out of it.

CV's formula worked, it can be frustrating, especially if you started with SoTN or later where being hit, or falling, never really was a threat. But it works, and no point in changing it.

psychotix on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Slightly off topic but give me a second:

If you ever find the Wii Castlevania fighting game at or below your threshold for insta buying a cheap game (Mine hovers between 2 used and 8 new, 20 for weird collector items) buy it.

It's stupidy fun. It's kinda like Power Stone 2/Soul Calibur themed Castlevania with the art design of Death Note.

To keep it semi on topic the game can link up with OoE, the fantastic DS game released around the same time.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'll never forget my earliest memory of Castlevania 2.

There was a townsperson who said 'Rumor has it', and I went all over town looking for 'Rumor'.

(I was really young at the time)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited October 2009
    Portable Metroidvanias are great and all but I don't think Konami can add anything new. Now that SotN is portable, I'd like them to take away the character stats and leveling and grinding from future games. The formula has been perfected; time to focus on action-platforming again.

The best part of OoE was unlocking that giant obstacle course.

emnmnme on
  • GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I do love the GBA/DS 'Vanias. I remember getting Circle of the Moon with the GBA launch. It was just awesome. HoD was good, but a bit of a misstep after CotM, in my opinion. And the music quality was just...ugh.

Aria and Dawn are both incredible.

PoR was good in the same was HoD was good, but also not as good as the first CV on their respective systems. Ecclesia was really good, and pretty hard (shut up, psychotix). The linear nature was something of a turnoff, though.

The Metroidvanias work really well on the handhelds, really. Though I'd love to see some high-res CV for the consoles, of course.

Graviija on
  • LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The DS Castlevanias seem like they were made for me, but I like each successive iteration less and less. The developers just seem completely unwilling to make even the slightest change or advancement to the gameplay. The latest one was much more combat focused than any of the other ones, but they didn't bother to improve the combat itself at all over the previous games. It was ok in SOTN because it was a platformer first, but when you focus almost exclusively on combat, the archaic design really shines through.

For example, enemies that do damage just by touching you rather than having to actually attack? That shit needs to go back to the 80s, where it belongs. And how about some combo attacks? You know, something to add a little bit of depth to the weapon selection beyond the minuscule differences in length and speed they have now? Hell, I'd settle for the basic 3 hit combo that's been in every action game since the 90s; anything is better than that godawful "alternate between X and Y" system they have now. These are the things you think about when you're making an action sidescroller, but the developers obviously couldn't be bothered to.

Despite this rant, I still enjoy the games enough to keep buying them, even if I didn't finish PoR or OOE. I just wish Iga or whoever would put the tiniest bit of effort into them, rather than simply putting out the same tired, increasingly archaic game every year.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    After scanning this page, I'm kind of glad I skipped the last two DS games and only own Dawn of Sorrow. Which is fucking awesome by the way. I still need to beat Julius Mode.

It also makes me sad that the only other Castlevania game I own is SOTN which I've barely played.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Time to nitpick this fucking idiot. Though, off the bat I will agree with him that the music, graphics,and atmosphere were all Castlevania appropriate (especially the music).

- He complains about the nighttime / daytime thing as being unimportant to interrupt the gameplay. Disagree. Night time meant towns weren't safe to be in and enemies were stronger.
    - He complains about hearts going away when you die. They go away when you continue, first of all, and maybe you shouldn't suck at the game if you don't want to lose them.
    - He addresses shops being closed and having nothing to do; night time is "hunt for hearts" time if you need to buy from the shops. If you've been through the game once, you can use this formula of play to rarely get caught in having to wait for day.
    - No shit free-exploring wasn't done greatly, it was NES and you're looking at it in hindsight.
    - OH MAN TYPOS IN THE TEXT
    - "Don't look into the Death Star" is the only bad hint in the game. :?
    - The water complaint is genuine.
    - The garlic dropping is hinted at in-game; non-genuine complaint.
    - He sucks at platforming, so he bitches about jumping segments. His fault, not the game.
    - He gets hit on the stairs- HE COULD'VE MAYBE ATTACKED

Okay he's doing CV3 now so I'll stop. The point is that Castlevania 2 is an alright game, it's just different. This Angry Nerd guy is such a fucking hack. If he's trying to be entertaining, he's doing a bad job of it and just being disingenuous.

Henroid on
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    Aria of Sorrow->Dawn of Sorrow was amazingly bad ass.

The games since have been kind of underwhelming. Competently executed, but they don't make me give a shit about them.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    DoS' appeal for me was seeing what AoS would be like in a more up-to-date format. Compared to the other DS games, it's definitely more anime-adventure-like. Which is why I think so many people like it more than the other two. And why they won't admit to it.

Also, Soma is fabuloooooooouuuuus.

Henroid on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    OoE is easily the best in the seres for me. Fantastic game.
    Don't really think AoS has aged especially well compared to the DS trio, though.

Xagarath on
    edited October 2009
    Xagarath wrote: »
    OoE is easily the best in the seres for me. Fantastic game.
    Don't really think AoS has aged especially well compared to the DS trio, though.

Really? I think AoS is alright (I actually played through it again this past week) even now. It's the most "right" with the formula out of the GBA games.

I can't decide if I like OoE or PoR more. I'm really hard pressed to find which of the DS games is my absolute favorite. I know my least favorite though, if my last post wasn't an indicator. Which isn't to say it's bad; it's not. It's just not as good.

Henroid on
  • CyborgZetaCyborgZeta Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I own all the GBA/DS Castlevanias except for HoD. A friend of mine let me borrow it for a while but I didn't really like it that much.

OoE's my favorite despite it's linearity. After that, probably DoS.

CyborgZeta on
    "Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
    edited October 2009
    CyborgZeta wrote: »
    I own all the GBA/DS Castlevanias except for HoD. A friend of mine let me borrow it for a while but I didn't really like it that much.

Uh, aren't they all linear? :P

Henroid on
    edited October 2009
    Henroid wrote: »

OoE is much more so, only a portion of the game is in the castle, the rest is going from left to right in small mini locations.

Morkath on
    edited October 2009
    Morkath wrote: »

OoE is much more so, only a portion of the game is in the castle, the rest is going from left to right in small mini locations.

What does the amount of castle have to do with linearity? All of the DS games are linear, with side rooms here and there.

Henroid on
    edited October 2009

What does the amount of castle have to do with linearity? All of the DS games are linear, with side rooms here and there.

Because in say Dawn of Sorrow, you are constantly moving back and forth through the castle as you get new powers.

OoE is, go from left to right, never come back unless you need to grind a soul..err seal. Also they aren't castles, they are like, mountain trail1, mountain trail 2, sea path1 sea path2.

Morkath on
    edited October 2009

...what? Do you consider Metroid games to be linear, too?

edit - I suppose PoR is somewhat 'linear', and Ecclesia moreso, but Dawn of Sorrow is as nonlinear as any other game in the genre.

Graviija on
  • CohsaeCohsae Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Time to nitpick this fucking idiot. Though, off the bat I will agree with him that the music, graphics,and atmosphere were all Castlevania appropriate (especially the music).

- He complains about the nighttime / daytime thing as being unimportant to interrupt the gameplay. Disagree. Night time meant towns weren't safe to be in and enemies were stronger.
    - He complains about hearts going away when you die. They go away when you continue, first of all, and maybe you shouldn't suck at the game if you don't want to lose them.
    - He addresses shops being closed and having nothing to do; night time is "hunt for hearts" time if you need to buy from the shops. If you've been through the game once, you can use this formula of play to rarely get caught in having to wait for day.
    - No shit free-exploring wasn't done greatly, it was NES and you're looking at it in hindsight.
    - He sucks at platforming, so he bitches about jumping segments. His fault, not the game.

Okay he's doing CV3 now so I'll stop. The point is that Castlevania 2 is an alright game, it's just different. This Angry Nerd guy is such a fucking hack. If he's trying to be entertaining, he's doing a bad job of it and just being disingenuous.
    Clearly only the proest of pros should be allowed to have opinions on videogames.8-)

Cohsae on
    sig.gif
    edited October 2009

Because in say Dawn of Sorrow, you are constantly moving back and forth through the castle as you get new powers.

OoE is, go from left to right, never come back unless you need to grind a soul..err seal. Also they aren't castles, they are like, mountain trail1, mountain trail 2, sea path1 sea path2.

Ah, okay. I dunno. Sometimes not having to backtrack is a good thing. Like in Aria of Sorrow, how many times do you -have- to go through the starting area at some point or another? The music is groovy and all but it can get old. I guess this point is moot though considering that the sceneries in OoE are re-used and just with different color palettes.

Henroid on
    edited October 2009
    Cohsae wrote: »

Clearly only the proest of pros should be allowed to have opinions on videogames.8-)

Wanna point out where I said that? When I say people should try not sucking at a game, it's in response to people saying games are bad because of some difficult element to the game. Instead of being objective and saying, "I don't like this sort of thing in games because I'm admittedly not great at it." Nope. It's the game's fault. Kiss my ass.

Henroid on
    edited October 2009
    Graviija wrote: »
    ...what? Do you consider Metroid games to be linear, too?

edit - I suppose PoR is somewhat 'linear', and Ecclesia moreso, but Dawn of Sorrow is as nonlinear as any other game in the genre.

He was regarding linearity in the way of back tracking or changing direction often. Super Metroid is the most non-linear game ever, in both senses since you can sequence break and you end up going one way then the other.

But the Metroidvania games are linear in the sense of there being a path to follow. There isn't necessarily a lot of room for sequence breaking. I've done it a couple of times in HoD, using getting hit in the air to reach places I'm not supposed to yet. That's all I can think of off-hand.

Henroid on
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, after you mentioned it, it kind of dawned on me that the GBA/DS Castlevanias are, despite their Metroid-ish trappings, much more linear than their inspiration. I suppose that's probably because the CVs are a bit...'tighter paced' than Metroid, and actually have story elements that have occur at certain points.

Graviija on
    edited October 2009
    Graviija wrote: »
    Yeah, after you mentioned it, it kind of dawned on me that the GBA/DS Castlevanias are, despite their Metroid-ish trappings, much more linear than their inspiration. I suppose that's probably because the CVs are a bit...'tighter paced' than Metroid, and actually have story elements that have occur at certain points.

Yeah. They pulled that crap on the Metroid games after Super Metroid as well, which is a shame. I think that sequence breaking could be a strong marketing point if you ask me. But oh well.

Henroid on
  • SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    ESRB wrote:
    Castlevania the Adventure ReBirth
    Platform: Wii
    Rating: Teen
    Content descriptors: Animated Blood, Fantasy Violence

Rating summary: This is a side-scrolling action game in which players battle against monsters in Dracula's castle. Players use a chained whip to fight their way through halls and dungeons filled with zombies, skeletons, flying eyeballs, and bats. The enemy creatures frequently shoot projectiles and attack players in hand-to-hand combat. If players sustain too much damage, they keel over and emit a burst of red blood. Some rooms in the castle also have spikes or spears stained with red, blood-like splotches.

So... A remake of the old GB game on WiiWare?

Saddler on