As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wait a sec...S.T.A.L.K.E.R.?

• JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Giganticus wrote: »
    powersurge wrote: »
    Where is this rumored Viper5 that fires pistol ammo? I thought I was at the tunnel where its suppose to be but I got deeper in past the bubbles and the radiation got too heavy (this is early game I got jack for armor).
    Well there's a pistol that fires Viper5 ammo. Maybe there's a source of confusion there?

You have to go all the way to the end. You'll need radiation meds.

On my way back I was greeted by 3 soldiers. Not fun fighting them while I'm surrounded by anomalies and slightly radioactive.

JJ on
  • waywardryanwaywardryan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The respawning ghost dog things give me a headache...

waywardryan on
    Lemon - Bright Wizard
    Bijaz - Ironbreaker
  • ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Seems like there is such a thing as karma. Before I reinstalled STALKER for Nev to get the exe, I was having a glitch where all I could see was the skybox if dynamic lighting was on. To fix this I had to turn off AA and AF. However, one reinstall and good deed later, the problem has gone. 1600x1200, max detail, max AF, half AA, all smooooth. :mrgreen:

Zetx I'm about to go to sleep but if you've got mirrored links I'll add them to my fix post when I wake up.
    Alright, I've uploaded them to my server:
    1.0000 Worldwide
    1.0001 Worldwide

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • KronKron Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh goddammit.
    Right before going into the X18 basement, I left some stuff in the stash on the second floor there because I knew I'd be bringing more things up, and I was overloaded. Now, the whole place is crawling with military guys that take 2 AK clips to take down if you dont' specifically shoot for the head. (So I basically ran away past them). I left my 7x18 Viper and silenced AK-74u in there :[

also x18 = wtf.

Kron on
  • Raze_EverythingRaze_Everything Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I have to say this game is really fun so far. I picked it up the other night hoping to price match circuit city's price of 29.99 but the lady at the counter saw the ad wrong and rang it up for 19.99.

I wasnt very far in before the patch so i dont hate it for losing my save games. Its the first game in while (besides wow) to keep me up later then i should have been (im actually debating starting over again just to "farm" the corpses of the military guys and the bandits at the begining to get some better gear.).

Anyone else have the problem of picking up everything they see all the time? Should i just ignore alot of stuff and only carry what i need? I just figure there will be a guy to sell to but i havnt seen many people that will take weapons after the first guy.

Im running it at 1440x900 on High with the grass turned to the halfway point as i found it hard to find some stuff on the ground.

I have a -
    Amd Athlon 64 3500+
    2 Gigs Ram
    BFG 7800GT
    Sata HDD (not sure if that helps speed at all)

Edit: Running on Windows XP btw

Raze_Everything on
    RazeEverything.png
  • DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Kron wrote: »
    Oh goddammit.
    Right before going into the X18 basement, I left some stuff in the stash on the second floor there because I knew I'd be bringing more things up, and I was overloaded. Now, the whole place is crawling with military guys that take 2 AK clips to take down if you dont' specifically shoot for the head. (So I basically ran away past them). I left my 7x18 Viper and silenced AK-74u in there :[

also x18 = wtf.

Ouch :( I also had to leave the AK, and the suit you get from a locker. I didn't find the guys that hard to take out though. I used up all my other ammo so I ended up grabbing one of their rifles and sticking a scope on it then kicking some ass. The basement was probably my favorite part of the game so far.
    Anyone else have the problem of picking up everything they see all the time? Should i just ignore alot of stuff and only carry what i need? I just figure there will be a guy to sell to but i havnt seen many people that will take weapons after the first guy.

There are only a few merchants in the game that take guns and stuff, so I wouldn't reccomend carrying any around just to sell. I don't know about the patch, but I haven't found a use for any of my money yet. I just get ammo off corpses and you find enough suits laying around. But yeah, I am such a fucking packrat. Games like this and Oblivion give me seizures because I need to compulsively pick up everything in a chest or on a corpse in case it'll come in handy later. I found myself having a lot more fun when I just carried 2 guns and a sidearm, enough medkits and bandages to last for a good firefight and a belt full of artifacts. Unless something is better than I already have I don't bother picking it up anymore. If I find a cool weapon I'll stash it at the bar, because there's a pretty safe bet it'll be used for a quest later.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
    edited March 2007
    I'm not sure about post-patch but prepatch I have never had any issues with money. I never buy anything because if I do it just appears on a guy right after and I'll have wasted my money. Really the only thing I've done with my money is buy some of the harder to find ammo.

waywardryan on
    Lemon - Bright Wizard
    Bijaz - Ironbreaker
  • BioPortBioPort Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    for those who are looking for the book

http://www.cca.org/cm/picnic.pdf

BioPort on
  • ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

God yes, I need an Infinite Bag of Holding or something D:

I find that I don't really use that many items other than ammo and healing items (and occasionally some sort of food), but I did run out of ammo for my AK during my escape from the military camp, so I've been trying to figure out what I can use. >_<

(And because it got bottom page'd, these are mirrors for Giganticus' Vista fixed exe's: 1.0000 Worldwide and 1.0001 Worldwide. (The patch makes it not crash from memory leaks or something; be sure to follow the instructions here from step 7 onwards also.))

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
    edited March 2007
    I wish that I could pick up a spear or some sort of stick to beat the dogs and other annoying critters off with. The knife doesn't have a long enough range but I feel bad wasting my occasionally very limited bullets on them. I'd love to take one of the spikes from all the traps that are laid around and just stab the bastards with it.

My only real complaint with the game so far beside that is the fact that the audio cues leave a bit to be desired. It may just be a bug with my setup but for me there is very little difference between the snarl of a dog/monster that is around the corner vs one that is right behind me about to rip out my throat. It freaks me out half the time and I whirl around to nothing.

waywardryan on
    Lemon - Bright Wizard
    Bijaz - Ironbreaker
  • krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I wish that I could pick up a spear or some sort of stick to beat the dogs and other annoying critters off with. The knife doesn't have a long enough range but I feel bad wasting my occasionally very limited bullets on them. I'd love to take one of the spikes from all the traps that are laid around and just stab the bastards with it.

My only real complaint with the game so far beside that is the fact that the audio cues leave a bit to be desired. It may just be a bug with my setup but for me there is very little difference between the snarl of a dog/monster that is around the corner vs one that is right behind me about to rip out my throat. It freaks me out half the time and I whirl around to nothing.

the sawed off shotgun is good for that early on. i think they make the growls/etc more noticeable to scare you, and i see they succeeded :) (worked on me too)

krylon666 on
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So, maybe it's just because I had to restart due to the patch, but artifacts seem really useless to me. Particularly in the early-game, every goddamn artifact I find just kills me when I put it on. Even after thirty seconds or so I'm so irradiated that I have to use two of those anti-rad items.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
  • JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Dude...

dude, you sell the early shit until you get the artifact that has negative radiation.

JJ on
    edited March 2007
    Not since F.E.A.R. has a game made me jump the way this one does. I'll be sitting there minding my own business trying to decide what ammo I need and what to drop and then all of a sudden I'll hear that awful growl and I'll desperately run around like a crazy man trying to find a rock to jump onto. Good times.

Oh by the way, just sell any artifact you find early on.

waywardryan on
    Lemon - Bright Wizard
    Bijaz - Ironbreaker
  • Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, I love that you actually have to find a quiet spot to sort through your inventory or risk being jumped from behind by an angry canine. It actually feels fairly appropriate - I read one (fairly negative) review saying how it was good, at least, that there were hotkeys for medical items and I just couldn't get my head round that at all (I'd never even noticed). I know the game's not exactly a paragon of realism but it felt far more plausible, more effective, switching between screens. A lot of games that kind of thing can really annoy me, but not this one. <shrugs>

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    There are times when you can use cover and slowly advance on your enemies with an assault rifle.

There are times when you can hang back and pick them all off with a sniper rifle.

But sometimes...

You just have to say fuck it and pull out the grenade launcher.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    JJ wrote: »
    powersurge wrote: »
    Where is this rumored Viper5 that fires pistol ammo? I thought I was at the tunnel where its suppose to be but I got deeper in past the bubbles and the radiation got too heavy (this is early game I got jack for armor).
    Well there's a pistol that fires Viper5 ammo. Maybe there's a source of confusion there?

You have to go all the way to the end. You'll need radiation meds.

On my way back I was greeted by 3 soldiers. Not fun fighting them while I'm surrounded by anomalies and slightly radioactive.

You don't need radiaton meds. There is no radiation in that tunnel, none I experienced anyways.

There's just an invisible maze of electricity. :O

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • DEL 707DEL 707 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Not since F.E.A.R. has a game made me jump the way this one does. I'll be sitting there minding my own business trying to decide what ammo I need and what to drop and then all of a sudden I'll hear that awful growl and I'll desperately run around like a crazy man trying to find a rock to jump onto. Good times.

I had a similar experince with a bloodsucker last night.

He'd been following me for awhile but he ducked into a warehouse that had plenty of cover and was oozing radiation, I decided to just leave him be and sneak off.

Later on as I was about to ambush a bunch of bandits, he decided to make a suprise appearance. As I was emptying clips into thin air, trying to shoot an invisible killing machine, while bandits rained hot lead upon me, I began to wonder if I should've killed the son of a bitch when I had the chance.

DEL 707 on
  • DEL 707DEL 707 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    There are times when you can use cover and slowly advance on your enemies with an assault rifle.

There are times when you can hang back and pick them all off with a sniper rifle.

But sometimes...

You just have to say fuck it and pull out the grenade launcher.

Well done sir, that it quote material.

DEL 707 on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    There are times when you can hide behind a tree and pistol snipe your enemies.

There are times when you can hide behind a rock and pistol snipe your enemies.

But sometimes...

You just have to say fuck it and pull out the knife

fixed for my experiences on ammo scarce higher difficulties D:

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • MiSTieOtakuMiSTieOtaku Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't mean to sound demanding but due to an unfortunate situation my internet access is limited at best. Would there by an merciful soul that would be willing to upload an unpatched executable for the US (no DVD) with Giganticus' wonderful, wonderful, fixes? I would be forever in debt to the person able to fulfill the task.

Edit: Forgot to put what type.

MiSTieOtaku on
    edited March 2007
    There are times when you can hide behind a tree and pistol snipe your enemies.

There are times when you can hide behind a rock and pistol snipe your enemies.

But sometimes...

You just have to say fuck it and pull out the knife

fixed for my experiences on ammo scarce higher difficulties D:

I would have said that too, had I not JUST found a stash before that encounter that had 12 grenades in it.

Raiden333 on
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Suriko wrote: »
    Suriko wrote: »
    Radeon 9600 Pro, Athlon XP2000+, 1.5gb RAM and running Windows Vista.

The game runs flawlessly, and looks surprisingly good.

I feel rather lucky.

:shock:

Either you've got some funny definitions of "flawless" and "surprisingly good", or the jump from a 9550 to a 9600 must be like unto the leap across a yawning chasm. I have a better processor than you (just) (2200+) and more memory (2 gig), but although I'm pretty happy with being able to run it at all, I'd never call it flawless. 800x600, details at full, textures at one notch off full, little bit of anisotropic, no AA, NPC flashlights. Runs anywhere from probably 5-30 FPS and I get mouse float, so I'm just curious as to how the hell you can get anything that could be thought of as "flawless".

Oh, and it's not simply it being HDR that necessitates pixel shader 3.0. :P I can still turn that on in Episode 1.

edit:
    snip
    It doesn't look ZOMGEYEGASMS, but it's quite servicable. This is also a first-run go at settings, and I plan to have a bit more of a play around with them to get everything just so. Which is a waste considering I've got a nice big computer upgrade on the way in a couple of weeks anyway. Textures and the fact that my video card has 256mb memory may be making a large part of the difference.

Ah, I see. Mine would be (from the top) max, max, max, one step off the top, four steps from the bottom and the rest the same... though hang on, how'd you put shadows up? I could have sworn it let me change it when I first installed the game, but now it won't. Oh well.

I have a AMD 2500+, Radeon 9600PRO, 1.5 gigs of ram

These are my settings at 1024x768
    ss_owner_03-28-07_14-20-09_mainmenu.jpg

This is how it looks
    ss_owner_03-28-07_14-25-22_l03_agro.jpg

To me, on this dated hardware, it looks wonderful. Thankfully, I have a core 2 duo e4300 (overclocking yay) on the way. The computer wont be finished until the 8600 gts is released in mid april though.

Veevee on
  • electronicmajielectronicmaji __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    how do I turn on a fps meter?

electronicmaji on
    Top Weekly Artists
    Electronicmaji.gif
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    how do I turn on a fps meter?

Fraps

Veevee on
    edited March 2007
    thats FRAPS

krylon666 on
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Guys, kill Mole after you get done talking to him and getting the quest. He has a Walther chambered in 9x18. Slightly more accurate than the Fort-15, same stats, and 16 bullets. Its a cooler looking gun, too.

Its nice :)

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ok, so I'm at
    the Scorcher. I made it in, and am right where the beacon says I should be. There's nothing there that'll let me turn off the machinery.

Am I missing something retarded?

EDIT: Nevermind. As it turns out, I missed something retarded.

Typhoid Manny on
    from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
    edited March 2007
    Question... Why is it that none of my suits have a flashlight ever? My flashlight simply does not work...

I've tried rebinding the key and everything.

waywardryan on
    Lemon - Bright Wizard
    Bijaz - Ironbreaker
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Question... Why is it that none of my suits have a flashlight ever? My flashlight simply does not work...

I've tried rebinding the key and everything.

Something to do with your graphics settings. Dynamic lighting or lighting distance or something.

Szechuanosaurus on
    edited March 2007
    I cant figure out how to get throught the tunnel T_T

electronicmaji on
    Top Weekly Artists
    Electronicmaji.gif
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I cant figure out how to get throught the tunnel T_T

And what tunnel is that. The one in Cordon with the lightning? Because that's really, really easy.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    edited March 2007
    yes I know I suck at shit...but its the tunnel with the lightening...im trying to use the bolts to time it but I just don't see the lightning stopping..

electronicmaji on
    Top Weekly Artists
    Electronicmaji.gif
    edited March 2007
    no bolts, just time it so you're right behind the visible lightning and follow it through

krylon666 on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    yes I know I suck at shit...but its the tunnel with the lightening...im trying to use the bolts to time it but I just don't see the lightning stopping..

Just watch it. It moves, essentially. Once it disappears on the ground, you're clear to move forward. Keep doing that until the end and you're good.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    edited March 2007
    Man, I just went to the east side of the map, and ran across the tracks drinking lots of vodka.

Raiden333 on
  • WallyWally Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    There is another way through the military blockade that I just tried, couldn't be bothered with the electric tunnel and they would have destroyed me in a firefight. I went up to one of the guys that shout to you as you get close and shot him point blank. He went down and I ran back to the abandoned mill and started taking random shots as they approached, then I ran out the back and circled back round to the blockade while they were moving in on the mill. It was night when I did it, which probably helped a bit too.

Wally on
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Wally wrote: »
    There is another way through the military blockade that I just tried, couldn't be bothered with the electric tunnel and they would have destroyed me in a firefight. I went up to one of the guys that shout to you as you get close and shot him point blank. He went down and I ran back to the abandoned mill and started taking random shots as they approached, then I ran out the back and circled back round to the blockade while they were moving in on the mill. It was night when I did it, which probably helped a bit too.

There's actually a much easier way to get past the military. To the right of their little oupost is a hill. At the top of this hill is the train tracks. The barbed wire is cut, so if you stay far enough away and to the right that the military can't see you, you can pass right by them, since they have a hard time seeing you on the hill, and over the train tracks. You'll be right where you need to be with no tunnel and no killing.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited March 2007
    er anyways is anyone else pissed off that when you open your pda the game doesnt pause? I am sick of looking for directions while having to switch it off and protect myself from dogs

electronicmaji on
    Top Weekly Artists
    Electronicmaji.gif
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    er anyways is anyone else pissed off that when you open your pda the game doesnt pause? I am sick of looking for directions while having to switch it off and protect myself from dogs

That's part of the immersion, man.

If I'm in a spot with lots of wildlife, I'll usually jump onto some elevated rock or something if I really need to poke around in my PDA for a while. Otherwise I just keep moving while it's up, and just glance at it for a few seconds.

DarkPrimus on