As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wherein Matt Bomer is devilishly handsome[White Collar] New Season started!

TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
So apparently Matthew Bomer is in a new show airing on USA.

White Collar is about a devilishly handsome con-man who is sprung from jail to help an FBI agent solve upscale crimes. It looks like it might be fun. It also has Tiffany Thiessen from Saved by the Bell as the agent's wife. This makes me feel really, really old. It premiers OCt 23. Anyone else gonna give it a go?

Update: 7-15-2010:
There's another season of this! I'm terrible at watching this show I like, but other people aren't!

steam_sig.png
Tofystedeth on

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    They were filming outside of my office the other day.
    If they make that a 'thing' Im gonna be pissed.

Deebaser on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Your quotation of 'thing' confuses me. Does that imply you don't want them filming outside your office (understandable, for productivity reasons I guess) or that they will somehow work it into the show in a way that is meant to be clever but is instead annoying?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm going to give it a try. If it's quirky and funny but still natural feeling I'll probably watch it.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Your quotation of 'thing' confuses me. Does that imply you don't want them filming outside your office (understandable, for productivity reasons I guess) or that they will somehow work it into the show in a way that is meant to be clever but is instead annoying?

I mean I don't want PAs from Fringe holding their arms up trying to prevent me from going into my own building because they're filming.

Ugly Betty shouldn't block the goddamn sidetrack at 5PM in the financial district.

and if White Collar displaces me from my smoking spot Im not going to be happy.

Can't these fuckers do this shit on the weekend?

Deebaser on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2009
    I'm liking it.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2009
    There is no dance. You're not even on her dance card. No dancing for you.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • ArkasArkas Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    DEAR PETER
    I HAVE
    MOVED 1.6 MILES

Yeah, I'm sold. Hope it keeps up the quality.

Arkas on
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Is his character anywhere as cool as Bryce Larkin?

Senjutsu on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So far, this is pretty good. I keep getting distracted by how the agent sorta looks like Tim Raimi. Seeing Kelly Kapowski is also pretty distracting.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, I liked it quite a bit. Though a 90 minute, nearly commercial-free premiere kinda spoils me. Almost like watching it on Hulu then going back to regular TV. You mean I have to waaaaiit?
    I cracked up laughing when he was talking about the seized villa.

I'll get some pixures of the characters together and a get much better OP going. Then we can discuss such mysteries as "Who is the man with the ring?" and "How bangin' is June's granddaughter?"

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2009
    I liked it.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It's like "Catch Me If You Can: The series." Seems like a great setup for countless episodes, law and order style.

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I enjoyed this; gives me a Burn Notice vibe which I definitely approve of.

MolotovCockatoo on
    Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • BoutrosBoutros Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It also has Tiffany Thiessen from FASTLANE as the agent's wife.

I found the pilot entertaining, but I don't think it's Burn Notice quality.

Boutros on
    edited October 2009
    JebusUD wrote: »
    It's like "Catch Me If You Can: The series."

Yeah.

The chemistry between the characters was solid, the crime mystery part was spiffy, and it was over all enough to make me want to keep watching.

HamHamJ on
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Did they say something about how they caught the guy at customs because they had a flag on "Snow White?"

When did that happen?

Schrodinger on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think that just happened before the show started. The next line was something about, "that's the keyword surveillance picked up, right?" I just nodded and played along. They'd been tracking that first villain for two years or so, they said, so they'd already had lots of balls rolling.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So this show is fantastic.

I thought the writing and acting were both excellent.

CheerfulBear on
  • ArkasArkas Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Did they say something about how they caught the guy at customs because they had a flag on "Snow White?"

When did that happen?

There's some exposition from Neil after Peter finds him at the rich lady's house. He says: "'Snow White.' The phrase you decoded from the suspected Dutchman communique to Barcelona."

PS: It's up on Hulu already, wohoo. Hopefully they won't fall into that stupid 8-day trend like Fox shows.

Arkas on
  • MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Arkas wrote: »

When did that happen?

There's some exposition from Neil after Peter finds him at the rich lady's house. He says: "'Snow White.' The phrase you decoded from the suspected Dutchman communique to Barcelona."

PS: It's up on Hulu already, wohoo. Hopefully they won't fall into that stupid 8-day trend like Fox shows.

If it's like the other USA shows new eps should be posted the day after they air (and it should be, I think the availabilities are a by-network thing, not a by-show thing).

MolotovCockatoo on
    Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • InterjectionInterjection Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It really reminds me more of the series Hustle from the UK.

Which is a really great show, also about criminals, but in that one they are actually stealing money, think of the show Leverage, but good.

So far I like it, but I am a sucker for any show with an overly charismatic main character. Which is the same reason I like Burn Notice.

EDIT: And apparently it will continue with 13 ONE HOUR episodes. I am thrilled...I love hour long shows, especially ones that have a lot of roundabout thinking.

Interjection on
    aka kcMasterpiece
  • nervenerve Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So far I like it, but I am a sucker for any show with an overly charismatic main character.

nerve on
  • NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The pilot was great, really like the two main characters and their interactions so far. Can't wait to see their relationship unfold.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
    edited October 2009

Which is a really great show, also about criminals, but in that one they are actually stealing money, think of the show Leverage, but good.

You did not just imply that Leverage is anything but awesome.

HamHamJ on
  • NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    HamHamJ wrote: »

I was going to mention something about this exact same part of his post but if he didn't find Leverage awesome then there was no hope for him anyway.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
    edited October 2009
    Narian wrote: »
    HamHamJ wrote: »

I was going to mention something about this exact same part of his post but if he didn't find Leverage awesome then there was no hope for him anyway.

It just doesn't stand up to the show Hustle from the UK. I fully believe that if I had seen Leverage first the tables might be turned around.

They are different shows, and just the things I really like about it, which is the scheming and the plans are just done so much better in Hustle. I actually haven't watched Leverage in a while...so I think I might go watch some episodes and come back. Please hold for apologizing and saying Leverage is better (maybe). And I am not saying that Leverage isn't awesome, it's just that...I don't think it is as awesome...as some shows. Watch season 5 of Hustle...it puts Leverage to shame.

EDIT: Just watched episode 9 of season 2...and so far I feel the same way about it. I am going to stop talking about other shows now.

So, about White Collar. If they were hunting down this guy for two years are they just going to get a string of easier cases...or is Caffrey just going to be so amazing that they blow through cases that would usually take years in a manner of days?

Interjection on
    aka kcMasterpiece
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Solid pilot, definitely has potential, but lets see how they deliver. It is comparable to Leverage I think but while I do enjoy that show it has rarely been as good as the first episode. We'll have to see if the concept of this show is scalable to multiple episodes, but its a good start.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    edited October 2009
    Episode 2 was just as good as the pilot IMHO. Some good comedy, some well done subtle drama, though the ending was a bit anti-climactic.

So, about White Collar. If they were hunting down this guy for two years are they just going to get a string of easier cases...or is Caffrey just going to be so amazing that they blow through cases that would usually take years in a manner of days?

Based on the second episode, it looks like the formula might be "we've been chasing notorious criminal X for years and now we have an opportunity to finally get them and you guys are on the case".

HamHamJ on
  • JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Sad to see the probie not in the second episode (Naomi from Lost). Guess she must not have tested well with audiences or something.

JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, I was kind of disappointed there too. Hopefully it's just one of those things where they didn't put her in this episode cause they wanted to get the other new girl's exposition out of the way or something.

Did anyone else think the acting in the first half just seemed really bad? Maybe it was just my weird connection to Hulu saturday, but it seemed like almost everyone, especially at the party, just had a bunch of weird pauses, and really flat deliveries.

Also, I know I promised a real OP, but I was lazy, and did not deliver.
    I'm a terrible parent.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • BackstopBackstop Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

It's an episodic TV show. They would not have a very easy time getting greenlights is every week we had a small amount of progress on several cases. Each and every week they are going to just happen to have a big counterfeiter accidentally pop up in NYC and snare him in an interesting way. If you're not on board with that you should go back to your Babylon-5 DVDs. :p

We're lucky to have the season-long B arc of the missing girlfriend - same as Burn Notice. Thug of the week with about 3 minutes of "Who Burned Me" at the beginning and end.

Also: Diana the lesbian agent from the Pilot is listed in IMDb as beaing a season-long regular, it's the undercover model agent with the big eyes who is a one-timer.

Backstop on
  • BackstopBackstop Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Everyone is done watching this show?

I thought it was hi-larious that the master codebreaker and counterfeiter were stumped by a cub-scout trick on the wine bottle.

Backstop on
  • AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    My understanding is that Naomi from Lost will not be making a return to the show, and that Natalie Morales will be the regular. Those of you who watched The Middleman will be very happy about this, I know I am.

Those of you who haven't watched Middleman are sad fragments of human beings, deserving only my pity.

Alecthar on
  • Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    agent charlie francis! What are you doing here?

Randall_Flagg on
  • JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Natalie Morales is known in our household as Hispanic Amanda Peet. I have no complaints.

JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Just caught an episode of this tonight. I thought it was pretty good, although there seemed to be some backstory and plot points that I missed in early episodes. Who's this dude with the ring?

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Just caught an episode of this tonight. I thought it was pretty good, although there seemed to be some backstory and plot points that I missed in early episodes. Who's this dude with the ring?

The guy who kidnapped Kate. Or so it seems. But after last episode Kate's acting way weird for being a kidnapedee.

Xeddicus on
    edited November 2009
    Does anybody else think Kate is just kidnapping herself so that she can find out if Neal will ever trust her fully.

Maybe I have been watching The Big Lebowski too much recently.

I really liked this latest episode about the portrait. The sting on the museum curator at the end are the kind of things I was hoping to see from an ex-conman.

Now that I know that the cases of the week aren't going to be huge counterfeiters with small armies behind them every week I feel much better about watching this show. I also like shows that know how to balance a subplot like this and burn notice, occasionally focusing a bit more on that every 3 or 4 episodes. I do wish it would have taken a bit longer for us to see Kate again, it makes it seem too easy.

Interjection on
    aka kcMasterpiece
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, Kate did show up a little soon. On the flip side, though, it kind of ruins him being a ladies man when he's supposed to be so in love with Kate. So she needed to show up. The blonds in the last episode were very hands off for inviting guys back to their room. So Neal is going to just seduce every woman with his eyes apparently.

Xeddicus on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I started watching this show today on Hulu.

Bryce Larkin sure is an attractive dude

Khavall on